Is casting charm person on a wealthy and succesful merchant as ridiculous as fireballing a red dragon?

Is casting charm person on a wealthy and succesful merchant as ridiculous as fireballing a red dragon?

No, but i like how you think

"well, it's a NPC human without a fighting class, thefore it should have 10 11 or 12 of Charisma..."

that's how most DM would reason.

>you need to have a 'fighting class' to be charismatic
what

Depends on the setting.

Nobles have 16 cha and are a 1/4 CR creature

Merchants have a minimum of 14 cha
The super wealthy ones I could easily say have 16 or even 18.

No, but you really should be able to do one or the other.
The problem with caster classes in D&D isn't that they have answers, it's that they have all of the answers. If casters were forced to specialize to a greater degree and not just be batman, you'd have less DMs trying to arbitrarily regulate them in less than elegant ways.

>being wealthy having anything to do with charisma instead of the lack of morals

why does being wealthy make you charismatic? you become an extremely wealthy merchant by owning property, not by being a good salesman. you pay people to do that for you.

Retard detected.

>why does being wealthy make you charismatic
Because you need to make the best deals. Nobody has better deals than you.

>charm a wealthy and succesful merchant
>he treats me like a friend, invites me to a dinner
>food is poisoned, lose consciousness, be stripped of all magic items and valuables
>wake up after being shipped to some shithole on the other side of the world
>the merchant would rip off his own mother, let alone a friend

>No, but i like how you think
Same

Yes, as opposed to the bastions of morality that are the lower classes, am I right?
You do know that people can get rich while following laws, honoring agreements, and being moral, right?

That would be casting charm person on a gypsy.

What merchent in their right mind wouldn't buy some kind of charm or whatever to defend against something like that?

>iinb4 magic so rare

Do you even understand economics? Kys

of course you can - laws and morals exist to serve the bourgeois state and their accumulation of wealth.

You are a retarded Communist.

Greyhawk. If you say this, just assume the setting is Greyhawk. So? How would this go in Greyhawk, user?

I'd rather be a communist than a blind and foolish taker of bait.

Strictly speaking, a very successful merchant has above average CHA, INT and WIS.
Charisma to facilitate negotiations and make good impressions.
Intelligence to appraise goods and be informed.
Wisdom to understand other people's motives and needs, as well as see opportunity.

However, a merchant mostly haggles, risks money and has to bribe nobles in order to do well.
For the most part, the merchant doesn't face mind controlling magic.

An adventurer is assumed to become resistant to all sorts of things, due to their dangerous lifestyle.

So, while a merchant would be more difficult to mind control, the real trouble comes about an hour later, when the spell wares off and this person with lots of money and influence realizes you tried to mind rape him.

>inb4 “I’m too much of a scared pussy to talk my lefty politics on /pol/

Depends on the type of merchant. You can charm a lot of merchant if they don't have any protection against charms or they lack experience and knowledge how to deal with a Charm. There are enough myths in which merchants were tricked by sorcerers and fae. If your merchant is a fat city trader, then a charm will work quite easy on him.

But if you got an adventurer merchant, then no Charm will help you against his smartiness.

>Is casting charm person on a wealthy and succesful merchant as ridiculous as fireballing a red dragon?

No.

It isn't 100% safe either as very rich ones might have protections against this kind of stuff, or body guards capable of detecting it, or might be capable of resisting by themselves. But it isn't guaranted like with dragons.

being wealthy would make it easier to charm person, it happens all the time today, but we call it scamming. Rich stupid americans get conned every day.

Since charm is the date rape of D&D, anyone wealthy probably has wards against it.

bump