Problem with Game Creators' Politics

Is the creators' opinions a reason to dismiss a board game?

I know it sounds petty, but I'm tired of politics penetrating every facet of my life. When I'm off work and not reading the news, I just want to shoot the breeze and play game with friends; I don't really want to play games with an agenda or by people who over-advertise their stances.

Secret Hitler looks really fun, but I don't really want to offer patronage to people who make additions like this to their game:
trumppack.deals
>The Trump Pack adds five new Secret Role cards to the hit party game Secret Hitler featuring Donald Trump and prominent members of his administration as of 6/7/17. The Trump Pack includes a bonus Mike Pence card, suitable for use in case of impeachment or resignation.
>What will do you do first? An unconstitutional Muslim ban? Withdraw from popular environmental treaties? Fire the FBI director? The only limit is your imagination!

I guess I could ignore it and just play what I enjoy, but I don't know if I'm being ridiculous, so I thought I'd ask for you guys' input.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cxMvzK2OQTw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dame with Cards Against Humanity.
I never found the game to ever be fun, but all the same I'm annoyed by this border shot they're doing.

youtu.be/cxMvzK2OQTw

I don't give a fuck what you do or think on your own time, but trying to autistically shoehorn your personal politics into a game is generally shitty in and of itself regardless of what they are.

>I guess I could ignore it and just play what I enjoy

This is your best option.

Or, if you really want, get it and see what the cards do, then make your own cards about Shillary and the libtards so you can feel just as self-satisfied as the left.

They literally made a jokey optional extra you can buy if you feel like it. What's the big deal?

If you want to avoid a really great game experience just because poking fun like that triggers you, your loss I guess.

What's the matter snowflake? Somebody hurt your fee fees? Gonna cry about it?

I don't think playing to the other side would really make me happy, but your first advice with are right, I should just ignore the makers and have fun with the product.

Oh look, the sea lion is here

again, realising I came off as harsh and should probably clarify.

I'm British. Mocking politicians of every stripe is a national pastime. I'd love it if they made cards to mock every contemporary politician in Secret Hitler, and I would buy and joke about them all equally. Politicians deserve to be mocked, regardless of whether you agree with them or not.

>expecting anything less from Veeky Forums

There was a time before this, and it was good.

But then the Dorner couldn't be cornered.

here's your (you)

Guess what ignoramus, politics DO penetrate every aspect of your life, even if you're not thinking about them.

god this...

I never even NOTICE if something is supposedly SJW or not unless some /pol/ack is going nuts over it.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with SJWs. There is nothing wrong with our Muslim friends. Terrorism is fine as long as it's against the right targets.

They're the Tumblr of Veeky Forums. And they're just as annoying.

>unless some /pol/ack is going nuts over it
that's literally 100% of all of time ever though

This.

I'd argue more so, because while tumblrina's are idiots at least they're well meaning, where as /pol/ is just made up of people who get upset when called on being rude or treated like trash for consistently being bigotted assholes.

Why does a board game company making fun of a particular politician upset you, personally, that much? I think that's the question you ought to be thinking about instead.

Well, if you want a more politically neutral spin on it there's always Secret Dio.
In any case there's nothing in the base game relating to specific policies and according to the product page the new cards just add alternative artwork and no new rules. It's just a politically incorrect joke from the other direction.

>Terrorism is fine as long as it's against the right targets.
you mean the Jews?

They really don't have to though. When I watch star wars I don't want hamfisted modern political commentary.

Oh look, they have mansplaining a long time ago in a galaxy far far away! Wow its just like real life!

I apologize. I haven't been on /pol/ in months, and for the most part have moved on from it. I should have thought better than to bring this subject to Veeky Forums, I just needed some input from people I thought would know what they're talking about. In hindsight, this thread might have been rather unnecessary and a bad idea, seeing as though it's starting to blow up in a bad way....

>hamfisted modern political commentary
Honestly that's the main issue I take with it. Less the opinions themselves and more the fact they're almost always shoved in in the most retardedly heavy-handed way possible.

>man I really hate it when people inject politics into everything, but I feel the need to bring up how I disagree with this game creator's politics in particular
I'm sorry that some guy having different opinions than you is literally a personal attack, maybe when your balls drop you'll learn that it's ok for people to exist and not conform to your worldview

Well I think the problem is that the creators clearly favor mocking only one side because they are for the other side. Like, you will never see the creators of "Secret Hitler" or whatever making a "Hitler Hillary" or something like that edition

Is Coup a better game? With or without its expansion?

Yeah it's a real problem that some guy expresses his political views through a board game and other people who agree with him buy it. I totally understand why this parody expansion pack upsets you, I mean, how can somebody live comfortably knowing people disagree with you and make money off it?

Coup is a very different game. I enjoy it a lot, but they aren't really comparable.

I recommend the expansion because the having an Inquisitor feels way less sucky than having an Ambassador.

Damn man chill out a bit, I don't have a horse in this race and I literally just got into the thread.
What I was saying was that it wasn't really fair to only make fun of one side if you're coming from a neutral standpoint, ethically. Not that it was a bad business practice (I'm sure it makes tons of money).

>Creator goes out of their way to inject modern politics into a game
>OP complains about the political opinion being inserted into the game, not so much the opinion itself
>wow ur mad he has an opinion!

Stay salty boi. If you don't like the game no one is forcing you to play it

>gives the most salty and sarcastic reply 2 posts ago
>n-no you're the salty one...
2/10 try for making me respond. Literally nothing I said should give the indication I was "salty" at anything and if you got that impression it might be time to finish high school for you.

If your not upset why do you keep responding? I thought you have no horse in this race.

There's a reason discussing politics is considered bad manners among people you don't really know.

People simply don't like having to deal with politics when they wanted to play a game.

To be honest, we have to learn to separate art from the artist. I do think that add on is incredibly stupid, but at least it doesn't interfere with the main game, which is good by itself.

Don't get me wrong. I hate /pol/posting outside of /pol/ as much as the next guy, but the contast "REEEE GO BACK TO /POL/ SCREEEEE" faggots it produces are much more annoying than the actual /pol/acks themselves in my experience.

Just pirate the game so your money doesn't support their politics. Soyboys can bitch all they want about not letting politics govern every aspect of your life but these faggots are the ones inserting THEIR politics into the hobby, so I say fuck em.

Same CAH. The moment you declare a group off limits from your edgy Apples to Apples game like they did with apologizing over using the word "tranny" on a card and pulling said card is the moment I dropped their politically correct asses. I don't even give a fuck about their NOT MUH WALL faggotass publicity stunt that amounts to nothing since the Fed can forcibly buy that land anyways.

Even barely criticizing anything that can be considered social justice influenced brings a storm of defenders on here.

The idea of /pol/ raids are simply delusional at this point. OP didn't even say anything about SJWs or diversity but people still act like he's the alt right himself.

It's definitely gotten more prominent, yeah. I know multiple discord servers I play one that have instituted a "NO POLITICS" rule because someone either won't stop complaining about a disliked outgroup, or because any discussion of a brazenly political addition to a game devolves into angry shitflinging and nasty personal attacks. It seems that for a few years now the general norm of "don't talk about politics or religion" has been discarded in the eyes of the public, now becoming the deviation rather than the standard.

The only people I see using this as a reason to talk about politics at every waking moment are also extremely high-strung and mentally unstable and are freaking out over every single tidbit of news 24/7. I have never seen someone who isn't driving themselves into mental illness insist on being conscious of politics at all times.

The reason discussing politics has traditionally been frowned upon is because it can get very personal. A lot of attacks on the sitting US President usually carry a subtle undertone of attacks against his supporters. If you're talking mad shit about an elected leader, how is someone in the room who may have voted for that leader going to feel? It carries the implication that you think less of them because of who they voted for. This is why people are uncomfortable with politics, because it's very hard to have a discussion that doesn't result in someone feeling like they're being insulted or made to feel unwelcome.

It's exactly why I quit MTG. If you start shoving politics into a game it just stops being fun and starts being another excuse to argue with people. I personally don't care about the creator's politics as long as the game is good on its own merits.

Naw man politicize everything. Let it seep into every facet of your life.

He's not the one politicizing the game, the creators are.

I actually do fuck around on /pol/ (mostly to troll conspiracyfags, I'm hardly a true believer lmao) and I can assure you that hardly anyone actually talks about Veeky Forums. Most of the animus is directed at /b/, oddly enough, with /pol/acks trying to "redpill" /b/ and get them to be loyal footsoldiers or something.

Right, because we don't have screenshots of /pol/ organizing Veeky Forums raids to try and use MTG to inject their politics into the board.

I mean obviously, yeah. I don't deny that there are obvious /pol/bait posts here, but holy fucking shit the witch-hunting can get a little autistic sometimes.

I'm copying this into a notepad document

I said I troll conspiracyfags on /pol/, not on here. But yeah, I'm sure those super-secret /pol/ raiders exist alongside the super-secret satanic kiddy-diddlers and super-secret anus-worshipping freemasons who control hollywood.

I feel the same. I wouldn't say the game is total trash because of that but I would pass it over. Letting your politics into your work like that is professional and obnoxious, and I wouldn't buy it. Play it with a friend who bought it, maybe.

>tfw young guy who voted Trump
>tfw just want to enjoy things but politics are shoved into every aspect of all media now and when I find something that doesn’t have it, it quickly becomes infested too
>”user why don’t you like TV/games/music/movies?”

I feel so out of place with other people my age.

good for you faggot

Since when did Magic: The Gathering get political? Did I miss something? I haven't played for about two years, now.

Trannies and MUH GENDER REPRESENTATION IN CARDS AND TOURNAMENTS. Also banning a guy for """harassment""" he never committed since a girl decided to crybully him to boost her patreon numbers.

I'm sorry, but I really am far from the know.

Post some examples?

There is one screenshot with no other proof.

Maybe there was one a while back, but to still believe that its ongoing is delusional.

>Like, you will never see the creators of "Secret Hitler" or whatever making a "Hitler Hillary" or something like that edition
Yeah, because that wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
Trump is president, not Clinton and the Democrats correspond to the Liberals, not the Fascists, which the Republicans correspond to.

>Tranny
Alesha from the Tarkir set
>Gender representation
Multiple articles, but I don't bother saving them. The big offender to me was "we won't be satisfied until there are as many women in the top tournaments as there are men"
>the last one
This one cosplay and her deciding to claim The Quartering bullied her for like 3 years, causing WotC to ban him for life without even investigating the claim.

Hmm true that's a bad example. Perhaps noting the lack of games that feature Barrack in a bad light comparatively would be a much better example.

>professional
Unprofessional, I meant.

Yeah I really wish Wizards would quit the silly pandering and "muh representation" schtick.
Oh and you're missing the autistic planeswalker. Yeah, that was a thing.

I don't know. I hate Cards Against Humanity as a game, but I thought that was kind of cute

I don't play magic and don't know shit about the political drama, but why do you care? It's not like it's actually changing the way the game plays, right?

Not really. Barack doesn't have anything resembling Trump's cartoon villain/ugly bastard/petty lunatic appeal.

Probably because he's not exactly comparable to either Trump or Hitler

Sure some of his policies weren't great, but he did a decent amount of good, too. On balance, I think he did a pretty decent job.

I'm 100% certain there are games out there that present Barry-O in a negative light. It would have been free fucking money, especially after 'Thanks, Obama' so permeated the culture that the President himself would say it.

Honestly equating either major US party to the fascist movements of the early/mid 20th century shows a depressing ignorance when it comes to history and political science.

Pretty much, although you have to admit Trump has been acting awfully like he wants to be an autocrat

> On balance, I think he did a pretty decent job.
He was easily the most corrupt president we've had in decades. Just looking at the huge amount of money he funneled to solyndra would have gotten him impeached if he didn't have the media constantly protecting him, never mind all the other shit he was up to.

Hmm I would argue that the "thanks, Obama" meme was lighthearted and fun compared to making (very serious) insinuations that Trump is similar to, and expresses help for, nazis.

And while I'm sure games exist where Obama isn't painted in a nice light, I think it's unlikely there are many (certainly can't think of any) when compared with Trump.

just like my uncle used to say 'kick a dog and call it a nigger and one day itll bite you like a nigger'

Oh sure, he wants to be one. He's not anywhere near competent enough to actually pull it off though. The man is a child, he himself said that he has the mentality of a first grader.

Who said anything about equating?
Fascists and Republicans are right-wing, Democrats and Liberals are left-wing, that's all.

The problem is though that Trump hasn't really done anything cartoonishly evil. When you look at his actual policies, he's not terribly threatening. There's this sort of hyperbolic caricature of Trump that people buy into because they only listen to what TV talking heads say and take Trump's tweets at face value, refusing to consider that they're just elaborate bluster. When you actually ask people what actions Trump has taken that they find to be so horrific, they generally come up pretty short and again revert back to something Trump says rather than what he does.

Agreed. I don't think Trump is evil, I think he's just a moron.
A moron shouldn't be president though, especially not a hot headed one that's gotten us worryingly close to nuclear war.

Nah, Trump was doin autocrat shit before people called him out on it

Doing God's work, user.

Thanks Obama didn't start lighthearted. It started because people thought that Obama was actually creating death panels that would decide whether or not the government should kill you to save money. That was a very serious fear among a huge chunk of the population. It was completely unfounded and was only stoked in order to give the GOP an electoral win, but it took root pretty aggressively. Early on, the people saying "thanks Obama" honestly believed that he was attempting to commit genocide. It was only later that it became lighthearted simply because of how ridiculous it got.

How bout I never see this /pol/ infestation unless other boards are crying like faggots?

Life and death is no place for elaborate bluster.

Protecting freedom is no place for elaborate bluster.

To threaten those things as "elaborate bluster" is evil.

And a """gender nonbinary""" plansewalker iirc. Which isn't ridiculous in concept since there's some weird shit out there in MtG but labeling it as such and trumpeting the fact about for SJW brownie points is just obnoxious

>tweets = nuclear war
i think you might be the idiot

If he had a button that makes his elaborate bluster a reality, I have no doubt he would press it.

>but he did a decent amount of good, too.
He singlehandedly set race relations back 60 years
>On balance, I think he did a pretty decent job.
Name one good thing he did. One promise he upheld, even.

not the tweets themselves, but there's an unstable korean megalomaniac who's reading them, and the tweets certainly aren't helping

Being a country with nukes threatening a country with nukes isn't threatening nuclear war?

He recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. That's good, amirite?

Fascism isn't autocracy. And honestly American yearning for Autocracy at this point is pretty bipartisan. We saw this back during the Obama years as the president's relationship with congress deteriorated. The current President is having issues not just with congress but also the judicial branch as well as his own bureaucracy. Part of the reason government is consistently outperformed by the private sector is because private companies more or less are closer to monarchies than democracies, and implementing an agenda is remarkably easier, with far less hurdles to go through. The desire for Autocracy is a natural product of frustration with gridlock and inefficiency.

That's a remarkably reductive outlook that aggressively tries to simplify a remarkably complex issue.

>The man is a child, he himself said that he has the mentality of a first grader.

[citation needed] and again, even if he did say that, why would you take anything Trump says at face value?

>triggers

And here come the SJWs to tell us our opinions are wrongthink.

>Being a country with nukes threatening a country with nukes isn't threatening nuclear war?
Unfortunately, as the ongoing Jeremygategate saga has proven, /pol/tards are unable to understand the concept of separating their Internet lives from reality, and have a very hard time understanding that when you attach your real identity to your social media shitposting, it can come back to bite you in the ass and you can't just claim "kek just bantz" and close the thread because your computer is melting in nuclear hellfire.

> He singlehandedly set race relations back 60 years
60 years ago you could (and a lot of people did) put up a sign that says "whites only" in front of your business and bar anyone else from the establishment based on race.

Obama has not returned us to that, and certainly not singlehandedly. So no, he hasn't set back race relations 60 years.

>government outperformed by private sector

Riiiight

He tried to give you guys a semblance of a healthcare system. America's medical system seems barbaric from an outsider's point of view.

Yeah, Obama hasn't done that. Trump certainly has.

>. Barack doesn't have anything resembling Trump's cartoon villain/ugly bastard/petty lunatic appeal
Hey, remember when Obabo tried to push a bill that would give the president a private army capable of mobilizing in any state he wanted for any reason he decided without any input from Congress or the state in question? Or the time he tried to pass a bill that would give him the authority to shut down all US privately owned information networks such as internet or phone access """to prevent panic""" should he randomly decide to? Or how about the time he successfully trampled all over states' rights by passing a bill that would allow him to take direct control of the a state's military Guard units without having to request their permission """in case of national emergency""" whilst simultaneously broadening what counts as a national emergency? It the time he tried to install government spyware throughout the entire automobile industry with his cash for clunkers program?

Because I do. You wanna talk fascist leanings, look no further than Obama.

If all of that is true, between that and Trump fuck I'm glad I live on the opposite side of the world to America

>60 years ago you could (and a lot of people did) put up a sign that says "whites only"
And now you can kick white people off of a college campus for a day and exile them to ghettos to learn about white privilege. Same old song and dance, famalam.