As far as fantasy RPG settings with a gajillion and one races/monsters are concerned...

As far as fantasy RPG settings with a gajillion and one races/monsters are concerned, I have noticed two main schools of thought:

A. Kitchen sink. Everything goes. There are tons and tons of "standalone" or "one-off" races/monsters that exist independently of everything else, creating a wonderfully diverse world. Most D&D editions' setting-less monster books lean towards this. Pathfinder's Golarion is absolutely the poster child of this, no contest.

B. Most race/monster types have a well-defined niche in the setting. Rather than introduce plenty of "standalone" or "one-off" races/monsters, there is an emphasis on directly tying new creatures and their origins to preexisting races/monsters. Most fantasy RPGs with a non-D&D heritage lean towards this, and even D&D 4e has shades of this with its push towards the Dawn War cosmology.

Which school of thought do you lean towards, and why?

>As far as RPG boards with a gajillion and one shitposts are concerned, I have noticed two main schools of thought:

A. OP should kill himself

B. OP should kill himself

Which school of thought do you lean towards, and why?

Kitchen sink.
A setting is for play, and playing needs as MANY weird little guys to rescue as possible.

Sergalfag?

They're both bad, as are settings with non-human races in general, because they always end up as "Humans but with X quirk stapled on and/or Y personality/cultural trait super exaggerated and fladerized."

Humans as the only playable races make the best settings.
But this entire topic was just fur-bait/monster-fetish shit, wasn't it, OP?

Kitchen sink, as long as they're not boring dwarves/elves or fetish shit catgirls.

Beastfolk settings are best settings - you got every archetype you need: strong, communal wolves, big lazy bears, trickster foxes...

oh, howdy human only troll. How's the bites today?

Not too well I guess? That's a shame.
Maybe you should try varying it up?

Well, he can, this IS 4chins. Doesn't mean there's not a point though.

Really this is a problem with every kitchen sink setting though. If you want things to stand out and be unique, you can't can't have 100 different varieties of that thing. This is why DnD is such an indistinct mush.

>Hurrdurr shitposter is baiting!
>Hurrdurr I'm gonna take the bait!
>Hurdurr I'm gonna keep taking the bait after pointing it out as bait!

see, there you go.

I'm inside you, forever.

Humans as the only playable race isn't a bad thing for games. It's not what people are usually looking for in their fantasy games, but it works perfectly fine. I've seen alot of simpler games make good use of having only 1-4 playable races, balance-wise.

Sure, mr not-raising-the-poster-count.

I'm convinced you're just arguing with yourself now, OP.

Nah, that would require pictures to generate a bump.

No, he's right, actually. There are some games where having only humans be playable is a good thing.

However, there's a difference between playing/GMing a human-only game and going full Humanfag. Never go full Humanfag.

Oh, it's fair to say that you can have human only games that are good.
But if someone is going into a thread asking about racial preferences that does not include "human only" to bitch about how great human only is, we can probably assume they're a troll.
Especially with the amount of spamming that guy has been doing lately.

How about you actually come up with counter-arguments instead of screaming that everyone who disagrees with you is a troll and samefag (especially when one of them already had their posts removed apparently).

Nah, it's pretty obvious this one's a troll, mr. doesn't raise the poster count. No other good reason for him to be here.

No, the only spamming is you, who in your juvenile paranoia, thinks more than a single person disagreeing with you is some grand conspiracy to troll the board. In a topic that was fucking furshit bait to begin with.

Look man, it's pretty obvious. Especially with how you are going on about how you hate the topic.

Are you retarded, people can post in a topic multiple times. I don't even agree with the human-only thing, but you're being a twat.

Yes, they can. That's the point. It is not a new person agreeing, it's the same person re-iterating what they said.
And possibly even the troll in question.

It works because it makes something actually fantastic happen. If you can play dwarves and elves, they'll be 'human but' because you're human. It's incredibly difficult to really put yourself in the head of even other humans, let alone something that isn't.

If dwarves are obsessed with crafts and skills to an inhuman degree, live in a strict society where wrongs are never forgotten and everything is in its ordered place, you can take a good stab at it letting them be playable and turn them into cantankerous smiths and brewers or follow that logic to more magical and fantastic extremes that leave them as unsuitable for players. Elves you probably already get (you can play legolas but not the winter knight of the seelie court) and so on.