Anyone ever done a "machine race hellbent on conquest" ala Termintor, Necrons, Matrix...

Anyone ever done a "machine race hellbent on conquest" ala Termintor, Necrons, Matrix, etc invades or crash lands into a Dark Fantasy setting such as Warhammer Fantasy or Dragon Age?

How could this work into an interesting setting? Do the machines turn their forces against Chaos before mankind?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/Magazines/Dragon/Dragon Magazine - 258.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That sounds awful

Too much potential for one sidedness?

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/Magazines/Dragon/Dragon Magazine - 258.pdf

Check out the Sheens for AD&D.

>Race with superior technology
>That also reproduces faster than any other race
>And has a far superior capacity for learning

You would have to nerf them pretty hard. I do like the idea of an artificial race of beings which make more of themselves via construction, though.

Isn't this literally what the Phyrexians are?

The idea I had was that when they crash, there's no industrial base whatsoever and these are pretty specialized machines that require a variety of parts and minerals that aren't easy to get, ranging from your standard irons to important superconductors like Germanium.

Because of this the machines actually take quite a while to reproduce and have to go from swarmers to elite heavy units guarding their factories more than anything.

Well, just like how Skynet did it, you start off with cheap human labor. Thats whats so great about fleshbags; its a unit that can do almost anything with a minimal amount of tools and programming. They self organize and reproduce too. Capture a few with some hunter/killers; pick one to be in charge (give them a whip or something and a nicer bed to sleep on) and they'll help guide the rest; anyone that die can be fed to the others; then get them mining for you or whatever to gather resources to make more killbots. Easy as that

However, wouldn't (much like Skynet) require the same globalized network of trading and manufacturing to really jumpstart mass production?

This is cool, thanks

The world is an island in an infinite sea, the islands of the world have built up over thousands of years over the bones of a gargantuan artificial dragon. The dragon was a fighter jet equivalent in a war fought on an inconceivable scale, and is currently dormant as it hides from the species that shot it down. The dragon once had millions of humans, elves, wharves inside it to maintain and power the machine, but they broke free after the crash and formed into what appears to be a simple fantasy world.

My players have slowley been exploring the bones of the dragon and peicing together that the golems and under dark creatures are really just maintenance crews for a much MUCH bigger monster.

Yeah, actually. There's a pretty good fantasy story about a villainous race whose origins are unclear that have more advanced technology than the villains whose sudden invasion upends traditional High Fantasy society.

It's called Lord of the Rings. The villain race is the Orcs.

> villainous race whose origins are unclear that have more advanced technology than the heroes

Self reply to fix a fuckup.

Terminators/Necrons are just futuristic zombies

A straight up science fiction monster crashing into a fantasy land is kind of stupid.

Instead see the Clockwork horrors from Spelljammer. Self replicating magical constructs that want to turn everything not like them into raw materials to make more clockwork horrors.

What about machines vs Greenskins or beastmen?

I have that book. Such a pretty picture.

>le globalization meme
We raise chickens in America and ship them to China to be butchered and then shipped back because its cheaper than having them butchered here. Skynet is post economy. It just needs raw materials to make items for itself. There is no cost saving needed to not build the smelting plant next to the ore mine or whatever; which would be the case when you start from scratch in premodern setting.

>Tippyverse based setting
>Cities use Warforged with permanent telepathic bonds and persistent greater invisibility and Shadesteel Golems as the whole of the military and city guard, overseen by mages
>Warforged organize a coup, and co-opt control of the golems
>5000 greater invis warforged carry out precision strikes on unsuspecting fleshbag HVTs
>entire noble class decapitated in one fell swoop
>mages put down Order 66 style by their own warforged and golem strike teams, coordinating via telepathic link
>there is no resistance from the shocked populace
>a handful of loyalist warforged and surviving mages attempt a counter attack, but are overwhelmed and prevented from escaping through the teleportation circles
>when the bloodshed is ended, a single Warforged Wu Jen PC ascends the steps of the palace and names her(it?)self Queen
maybe i should have rocks falled the fat fuck, but it was too much damn fun to watch him build up to it.

Soooo... Replicators from SG-1?

Who built the Clockwork horrors? Some asshole Modron, I fucking bet.

>Who built the Clockwork horrors?
Some genius from a far off sphere where everyone was a genius who liked making clockwork shit. He built the first one out of adamantine and used magic to give it intelligence. It killed him and made lower quality versions of itself to conquer the sphere.