I don't come to Veeky Forums often...but what your guys opinions on MTG right now?

I don't come to Veeky Forums often...but what your guys opinions on MTG right now?

I just bought a full set of alpha proxies and was going to do some kitchen magic.

what do you think is the current state of the game/community? last time i played was gatecrash.

I also watch Rudy from Alpha Investments, do you guys like that guy?

thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.magicjudges.org/coordinators/2018/01/09/program-coordinator-statement/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

very subtle shill chinaman

Rudy is a madman but awesome.
Game is still fun. Even if you don't like standard you can find a group to play literally any format.
Community got Hamburglered but otherwise is exactly the same. Autistic Neckbeards freaking out over cardboars trying to pretend to not be Autistic Neckbeards freaking out over cardboard.

It probably depends on a lot of things, frankly. What are you looking for?
The last few sets weren't much to write home about, but some of them were interesting in their various ways. Read a story synopsis on MTGWiki or something and see if there's anything that you like conceptually. You could also trawl through Gatherer / some card search app if you want. I use MTG Familiar on Android.

If you're trying to visit Veeky Forums more regularly, you could always check out our various general threads. Modern / Standard / Vintage threads are usually up but EDHG is always moving. You could learn a lot there.

The story has been mostly trash, (as it always has been) but I liked Ixalan, Tarkir, and Theros in concept.

Competitive MTG is stagnating IMO and Kitchen Table is definitely the way to go if you can; especially EDH / Commander format. My LGS has a pretty good community from what I can tell, but there are others that aren't particularly receptive. It's a kind of luck-of-the-draw thing. Do you have a lot of friends to play with outside of your LGS?

I don't watch Rudy but my buddy seems to like him. No analysis on that.

ALSO I forgot to mention that you should be careful with those proxies. It's fine to use them at home (obviously) but your LGS probably won't take too kindly to them. Just be aware

Yikes.

You fell for it.

You get a 4/10 for effort op.

Alpha is garbage to play m8.

You forgot the image

fuck off, retard

Duly saved for future reference. Sage.

>new sets are fucking boring
>art is digital snore-fest
>they clearly don't know wtf they are doing
>planeswalkers
>community is bitching about some dumb broad
voila

in all fairness, i've seen videos where if the new cards are left out on a countertop over night they will warp. you need to bag the new shit as soon as you get it. if magic survives another 40 years that shit might be valuable if it doesn't discolour.

not really, but alpha proxy magic is going to be fun, no other way to really do it physically.

I don't have many friends so i don't have an LGS. i guess i just want a chill, fun card game where we can do some sealed drafts and have some fun with nice cards. I dunno.

yeah this is what the backs look like: it's not like i'm concealing the fact they're proxies. they won't go outside anyway.

this thread isn't bait why would you think it was? this makes me sad.

why?

:(

seems rough.

>No friends so no LGS
No senpai. LGS is your Local Game Shop. Go talk to the people there and see what's popular (you may have a few; I don't know where you live). It may well be that there are events organized to hang out and play some cards in whatever format you're looking for.
Alternatively, Rivals of Ixalan prerelease events are on Friday. You could find a shop and go try to meet some people. Try to have some fun. If you don't like the people at that one, find another.

>Proxies
Well fair enough. Just make sure that anyone that's trying to buy / trade knows full well that they're proxies. Somebody got kicked out of my old shop for trying to pass them off as the real thing-- and rightfully so

Aplha isn't balanced at all, since the way you built your deck was different from now. Decks originally had a 40 card minimum and there was no limit on how many of the same card you could have. Richard Garfield made some bullshit overpowered cards because he imagined people would buy a starter deck(which was 5 color jank) and 3 booster packs at most, so decks would be fairly the same even if you were lucky enough to have a single Time Walk.

I can't get into it due to core gameplay problems. I still have my old decks to play with friends.

It was all good until WotC started to defend literal pedophiles.

Mechanics are ok, lore is trash and having 'diversity' shoved in. And too much fucking Jace.

Wait what?

I know people have been making a big deal of the cardstock recently but I honestly couldn't care less. If you "invest" in anything other than ABU and Arabian Nights you're never going to make a dime. Sleeve up what you're going to play with and otherwise fuck the cards.

/pol/ meme

blogs.magicjudges.org/coordinators/2018/01/09/program-coordinator-statement/

why not just play it the way he intended?

you can literally get these chinese companies to put 16 cards into foil packs for you (complete with two rares) ready for a sealed draft session with friends.

What? Where?

That acrually sounds really neat cheap way to do throwback draft.

>I just bought a full set of alpha proxies
Alpha by itself and no other sets? Ew. No value AND no fun.
>do some kitchen magic.
Ugh.
>current state of the game/community
Who... cares....?
>I also watch Rudy from Alpha Investments, do you guys like that guy?
Ew.

Please leave.

The game is good, the new sets worthless.

The art is surprisingly ugly and unoriginal, most of the cards too niche to be played outside their sets.

The politics scandal is good since some pedos are in there, BUT I also feel it's a big distraction to lure people away from asking questions regarding card quality. Politics will not end WoTC, and bad publicity is still publicity. However the card quality issue could.

Get in the game with no problems, proxies are a great way to play. Just disregard the bullshit that is paying more than 1 or 2 dollars for a card. Only retards do it.

Avoid the new foil cards since they're very badly missaligned / cut.

I love Rudy, he's a modern businessman making money thanks to YouTube, using it as his way of gaining leverage over everyone else. That said I will also love when he crashes and burns.

Because it's a very limited and bland way to play it. Alpha only has a set of broken things and lots of useless cards. The first non wall creature that doesn't die to bolt is a 2/4 with reach for 4 mana while you have junk like copper tablet as well.

You're better off using proxies for a legacy, cube or nice early expansion like Onslaught or Apocalypse. Getting Alpha just shows you have no idea what you are doing.

>I don't come to Veeky Forums often
Stay away shill man.

>thinly veiled chinaman thread

>haha i don't know a lot about magic man but haha how about those proxies man heh i hear a lot about warping cards man haha i even watch this guy's channel that's entirely about mtg and investing it man haha but i really don't know a thing about magic guys heh

Current state of game: Slow and painful recovery from the "trying things" period we had once again with BFZ-IXALAN which was last suffered in early 00s with mirrodin and kamigawa.

Thoughts on Rudy: Completely and utterly untrustworthy in what he says, but amusing.