Does Chinese mythology have demons, evil spirits or something like that?

Does Chinese mythology have demons, evil spirits or something like that?

Other urls found in this thread:

english.stackexchange.com/questions/8651/is-it-true-that-chinese-speakers-have-troubles-with-rs-and-ls-in-english-wor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_of_Mountains_and_Seas
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, besides local stuff Chinese seem to borrow a lot from Hindu mythology

Yes

Google it

There's an artist guy who does something with spirits. Wait maybe he's a scribe. I only know what I've learned from Smite.

Is there such a thing as a mythology that doesn't have evil spirits, demons, and such? It's like, the one thing all mythologies need to have besides gods.

Yes.
The Demons are called Japs

They do not. Things like demons and skeletons were deemed too scary so their history was rewrritten to remove ssuchh things.

Yes. They are called OVERPOPULATION

A fuck ton of the crazy japanese yokai have origins in china.

i think the tengu were at their roots chinese dog-people
read the journey to the west, plenty of spooks there

Yes. Check the Crash Course Mythology series on Youtube, if you don’t have the stomach for literature or documentaries

I thought they called their demons Mongolians. Isn't that why there's a huge, fuck-off wall skirting the border of the country?

Wait a second, do you think the Mongols heard the cries of "Buird a Warr" and thought they were about to be invaded by retarded orks? I'd say that would be a fairly justifiable reason to do what they did.

Chinese pronounciation: english.stackexchange.com/questions/8651/is-it-true-that-chinese-speakers-have-troubles-with-rs-and-ls-in-english-wor

>tfw the next Total War is the Romance of The Three Kingdoms

No offense user but this question is pretty retarded.
Also read Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio and Investiture of the Gods.

Whatever you do, don't listen to .

It has Chinese people.

Just... Just take my fucking wallet and get it over with, damn it.

It's not like I need money for food and shit.

Sidney please go

This is such a "that guy" post.

Oh shit it's real

>CA talking about a new historical full-size game for years
>it's fucking Three Kingdoms
It's more fantasy than history, honestly. I don't mind the setting in theory, but announcing it as a historical TW was a really stupid move. It's embellished history at it's best, pure fiction at it's worst.

Holy shit I thought you were joking
I bet this nigger thought the Rome and Medieval games were historically accurate

However, having now watched the trailer, I am worried that they're gonna place undue emphasis on the heroes.

Sort of related, but a not-even-trying-to-be-historic Homeric TW with full focus on Achilleus and Diomedes reking shit while Hektor storms through the Greeks would be awesome.

>watching a show in which nearly every greek guy is a black dude

Its like you want history to be erased.

I read the poems you retard

If you really want to understand this, you need to start with the difference between evil spirits and hell beings.

>evil spirits - move about regularly making trouble for everyone

>hell beings - only target evildoers who are currently in a hell region.

Yes both are technically demons, but only one of them is actually evil, since hell beings only target evildoers who are existing in hell regions currently.

"Evil spirits" are more like ogres, ghosts, specters, goblins, shapeshifters, spooks, kooks, and gooks.

Good job, you aren't a total F minus failure.

But did you read them in greek? Not ancient greek that you'd need to be a prof to read, I mean just modern greek.

I read them in Lattimore, because I am a patrician.
>modern Greek
There is only one reason to do this, and that is if you have some familial ties to Greece. I hope that isn't the case, user.

It isn't, it just makes sense to me that it should be read in greek, since the change over from ancient greek to modern greek is less cumbersome than ancient greek to English and therefore the translation would be better, because modern greek is more capable of holding the initial meaning than a totally different language from halfway across the continent.

The meaning? The meaning is not the difficult part. It's the rhythm and sound that is difficult, and Lattimore's GOAT with that (although obviously not nearly as good as learning ancient Greek, but there's only so many languages you can learn at once).

>I bet this nigger thought the Rome and Medieval games were historically accurate
Are you talking to me or the guy I was responding to?

Shit, either way. CAs games have never been too accurate. They use history as a framework, depicting old conflicts in what is ultimately a pretty shallow game focused on specific battles. With Three Kingdoms they're not really trying; it's largely fiction. The talk of a "historical TW" led people towards things like the 30 Years War since it was also meant to be set in a period they had not explored.

The Three Kingdoms Period is still an actual historical period, user.

That has been embellished and modified by a horde of chinese "scholars" for the last 1800 years, each trying to modify the narrative to suit the ruling dynasty or party. It's like making Total War: King Arthur. I don't object to it as a Total War game, because it might be great and it's a very cool narrative. I object to them touting it around as the new tentpole historical title.

My father was one of those very smart very demanding teachers, he made me copy the greek text by hand. I still advocate for a greek-language addition for the same reason I'd advocate for an ancient Chinese text being translated to modern Chinese rather than something else. It keeps the flow, style, and meaning intact and there is no editor having to choose which word fits best because you just use the modern version of the word (if there is one).

Making a game based around the novel would be like making TW: King Arthur. Making a game based around the period would be like making a fall-of-the-Roman-empire TW (or alternatively a Medieval: TW, depending on your interpretation).

However, it does seem like they're going the novel route, so...
Ancient Chinese to modern Chinese is an even more demanding thing, given how autistic Classical grammar is.

Greek stuff is pretty much always translated into English by many different people, so it's better IMO to focus on learning other languages (like Chinese).

>However, it does seem like they're going the novel route, so...
I would HOPE they'd go for the historical route and only use the Romance vibe to sell it, like how they *kind of* had Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin duke it out 1v1 in the Shogun 2 cinematic.

But like you said; it doesn't seem like it.

You need to be 18+ to post on this site sweetie

Yes we do.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_of_Mountains_and_Seas

I think there is an English translation somewhere and it is basically a bestiary of a ton of mythological creatures.

Although do know that most of the book is about eating the random magical shit you come across and what magic effect it gives you. But with some creativity you can make something out of it.

Doesn't look much more embellished than Shogun, maybe except because three kingdoms is older.