How would you depict a multi-universal/multi-dimensional empire?

How would you depict a multi-universal/multi-dimensional empire?

How can you make it distinct from your typical space empire without it just being bigger and weirder?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Themselves
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It harvest energy from universes where life will never exist barring extreme statistical improbabilities like Boltzmann brain. Which is most of them. It also makes sure that universes where everything is alive don't mess them up.

>How can you make it distinct from your typical space empire without it just being bigger and weirder?

I loved what HL2 (more accurately, Mark Laidlaw) did with the Combine.

A race of transient beings with unfathomable power, who don't even show up to the planets they conquer. On Earth, their designs are obvious in the ways that they've mutated human technology, but other than that they have little-to-no actual presence.

If I was going to make an interdimensional empire, I would make them the "Ancient Aliens" of the world, except they didn't die out - they just don't give a shit about our universe. The omnipotent artifacts they leave behind are merely old equipment that has been abandoned.

Yeah you know how we have to bend the standard model on itself, to justify the fact that we see almost every other galaxy accelerating away from us? The thing that is one of the proofs of the Big Bang?
Turns out that that measurment is due to the inteference of the Dyson sphere that surrounds the galaxy.

Why would someone build a fucking Dyson sphere around an entire galaxy, you ask? Isn't it stupidly expensive in time and resources, something that would require centuries of computing just to figure out how to make it?
You are so naive. It's there to spin our galaxy via electromagnetic and gravitational fields to produce energy shot "up " from the galaxy's black hole core into a transdimensional circuit.
This is why we believe there is Dark Matter, because the galaxy is spinning too fast.
>Our rulers are so mighty that they change our physical reality on a whim, yet so subtle that we may never even realize it. Are they gods?

Anything bigger than a galactic empire seems too improbable to me.

The ruling class are a million permutations of the same cruel but brilliant man, harvested from a million parallel realities.

Why bother going to the stars when you can just keep going to the same planet but in different dimensions and just exploit that?

GURPS,

NOT EVEN MEMEING

Centrum is the primary villain in the Infinite world they are a time traveling, dimension hopping, plotting and very stable empire with the intent of "pushing" OUR earth away from the dimension hopping scene so they can gobble up all the weak "Hitler won" timelines themselves.

Imagine if wannabe MENSA tg players had "quest" control of a high tech dimension hopping earthlike planet and it's citizens, research, military etc for 500 years fine-tuning everything with empire wide " plan B " doctorines and tactics.

Then give them a 100 year headstart. Plus a mega efficient dimensions hopping special forces squad lead by all the star trek braniacs on steroids.

That's the enemy, your a dude in a timetravel shuttle boat controlled by retarded"UN" mandates and "ethical time travel" protocols. Your job is to survey a timeline where ghengisk khan never died.

Every second you waste brings US real earth closer to being pulled out of space time and into insignificant quantum dark matter nonexistence where we basically think we live and die and vote but we're really not relevant to the universe.

>spin the mass of an entire galaxy
>gain net energy from it.

Nope.

You don't need to rule the galaxy to be a multidimensional empire.

I find HL2 Combine very interesting, because of what they did and the story related some times, i just wished sometimes i could wake up in Hl2 World as an Combine,Rebel and normal civilian and i wish to experience what is like living and fighting against and for the combine. but i would like living there because if that was real life that would just have pain and suffering

check the champion's setting 'empress of a billion dimensions'.

Why not dismantle the whole galaxy first?

Anything bigger than a solar system is too big.

What's it with soft-scifi setting that never go beyond the galaxy? I mean, you routinely underestimate the size of this galaxy. If you have FTL so good to go from one side to another of the galaxy within a lifetime, why don't you colonize other galaxies too? Do you have any idea of how massive the Milky Way is? It's 100,000 light years across. If your FTL is that good, why don't go to Andromeda too? It's just 2.537 million light years away in comparasion.

not for your mom

>we could have gotten this

>instead we got a DOTA card game

Dark matter dude. Since it apparently makes the galaxy spin faster because it works like a repulsive gravity, why not use it as a generator, like a wire rotating inside a magnetic coil?

Also, >transdimensional
I would suppose a transdimensional civilization to know and use every single particle like we use the electron. They probably make their cutlery out of non-barionic matter, just 'cause.

For higher-dimensional beings.

An example for an inhabitant of a higher dimensional civilization.

Make it bigger and weirder.

What are you asking for?
Things are distinctive when you make them different, but then after a while they're no longer distinctive. So I think it's better to make something good, instead of just different.
That's my bugbear though.

Read the Chronicles of Amber by roger Zelazney.

Now, imagine these beings actually wanting to rule the universes. It gets MESSY.

So, The Gods Themselves?

Okay, so. Take a subway map, and imagine every station is a planet. Each planet is in its own universe. No space travel.

Add actual subway trains for the flavour.

Make it a multi-dimensional law firm.

You do know Valve has way too many developers in the 'game team' (aka projects that are not announced) to just make one fucking game.

I haven't ever heard it called "repulsive gravity" before.
My understanding is that it's just matter we can't detect with conventional tools yet. Galaxies spin as if they have more mass than they appear to, so we think there's some stuff in them that's invisible on the electromagnetic spectrum.

Also, same guy as above, barionic just means protons and neutrons, so you're saying their cutlery would be made out of everyday materials.

Nvm, reading comprehension failure

>be pic related
>0614.3- STASIS END
>0614.5- ALERT: Anticitizen behavior in Sector 1b14c, UNIT 101-398 ASSEMBLE AT BAY 45C1
>0620.2- Board M17m3 Transport
>0654.6- Stimulant INCREASE to .9 ng/kg. LZ CLEAR, BEGIN LANDING
>0655.1- UNREGISTERED CANIS-TYPE OBSERVED, HOSTILE GUNFIRE REGISTERED: INDIRECT
>0655.2- Threat NEUTRALIZED, WEAPONS DISCHARGE LOGGED
>0656.9- ALERT: The Code is: CONTAIN, STERILIZE, AMPUTATE
>0658.3- ENTRANCE observed, Maneuver 036D initiate
>0658.4- Request AUTHORIZATION: MUNITION AR2i1
>0658.5- Request GRANTED
>0658.9- MUNITION AR2i1 Expended. FIRECODE 911D.
>0659.2- ROBOTIC x2 IDENTIFIED, ANTICITIZENS x3 IDENTIFIED, WEAPONS DISCHARGE LOGGED (x37)
>0659.3- Occular Anomaly Detected, note:"2.1% Error in HUD Targeting" TECHNICAL SERVICE REQUEST filed.
>0703.4- ANTICITIZEN capture, Request: BIOMETRIC SERVICES. CODE: SECURE, SEIZE, IDENTIFY
>0705.2- ANTICITIZEN REGISTERED: MOWRY_JASON,D._ID00456389080. SEDITION 7, TERROR 9, EVASION 3
>0705.8- Preparing FINAL PROSECUTION
>0705.9- FINAL PROSECUTION Administered, WEAPONS DISCHARGE LOGGED
>0741.3- Enter Stasis, RUN STASIS.exe
>0742- RUN FILE: Daughters_first_words
>.........
>.........
>.........

Forgot pic. Glory to the Universal Union.

That's actually a good point.
>Star Trek
FTL too slow, can barely cross the galaxy in 70 years, Starfleet likely opposed to generation ships on moral grounds.
>Star Wars
Literally no reason, even the old EU justification of hyperlanes is irrelevant the even more vacant space of intergalactic vacuum
>40k
Also no reason, at least for Chaos aligned factions; limited reach of astronomicon puts a soft limit on Imperial travel.
>Mass Effect
Actually did it, the madmen.

the moment you can go multi-universal/multi-dimensional, yes, you become basically a god, no?

>Literally no reason, even the old EU justification of hyperlanes is irrelevant the even more vacant space of intergalactic vacuum
IIRC the borders of the galaxy just destroy stuff and nobody knows why because whenever they try they get destroyed

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Themselves

Best post in the thread

Eh, obviously not entirely. The Vong made it, the Ssi Ruuk were from a small local dwarf galaxy, and Kamino was stated to be beyond the Outer Rim. Even ESB at the end shows the Rebel Alliance to regroup in what appears to be absolute nowhere, likely outside the galaxy itself.

The real answer? Lazy writers can barely fill 1 galaxy, let alone 2 or 10

Well in S.M. Stirling's Draka books the evil femdom nazis wanted to do that but someone pointed out that with every new universe you explore you bear the possibility of finding something really out of context and more powerful than you, specifically for earth they were worried they might open a universe where dinosaurs didn't die out so intelligent life would have a 65 million year head start on them. I guess that with a space empire you would have a lot more of a head's up if there was an extremely powerful civilization within reach of you, whereas you could be opening dimensional portals into god knows what.

>Star Trek
>FTL too slow, can barely cross the galaxy in 70 years, Starfleet likely opposed to generation ships on moral grounds.

Yet they allow children in their decade-long exploration missions. What about freezing people? I'm sure they can manage it. Didn't Scotty froze himself in the teleporter's buffer for a 70 years?

>How would you depict a multi-universal/multi-dimensional empire?

I've done it twice.

One was a multi-dimensional MASSIVE corporation that made it's business buying, trading, and selling resources between physical worlds and ethereal worlds, pocket dimensions, and elemental planes. They're unoriginal called the "Rift Co." and they manage numerous brands of convenience stores, big box stores, and fund even entire port(al) towns n' so forth.
Their president and founder is a Xorn. That Xorn is the richest being in the setting's universe.

The second is unironically the Mormon Religion, played straight: they're a conglomeration of interplanetary Caucasian Human Aasimar all descended from a single long forgotten Demigod's family. They go around from planet to planet in an attempt to convert and teach their religion to every 'WHITE' race they encounter: Dwarves, Elves, and sometimes Giants and Centaurs, but their main priority target is white Humans.

That's a tough question. The biggest "empire" I've ever imagined was my self insert fetish space empire I use for ERP.

For multi-universal I love the combine, but mostly the aesthetics. I'd probably want to make my own for a game. I also think it'd be mildly interesting for a greater dimensional empire/thing to be interesting in something so banal or seemingly pointless in our world- like imagine the alien overlords forcing humans to put as much matter as possible into building octagonal shaped empty megastructuers in space, hundreds of trillions of worlds worth of matter scrapped to build these things, simply because of the vibrations of the objects please the greater force. That's a bit of a Lovecraftian example; something insignificant is all the intergalactic people can take from us pathetic 3 dimensional beings.

Or if you want something less more practical but equally pointless and Lovecraftian; Forcing subjugated galaxies to beam up all of their psychic energy or physical powers to a higher plane of existence to power something like a battery in a child's nightlight. Rick and Morty, as much as people meme about it on Veeky Forums, has an episode with a similar concept.

If you're referring to a more direct empire; maybe the "greater beings" are not necessarily much more powerful individually then regular civilizations are, they just reach across laterally into different dimensions for political/religious reasons of conquest. Doesn't make a ton of sense why they'd do that exactly.

>mormons
>whydoesthismakesense.avi

those children often travel with their families, other officers, and the exploration missions make regular stops every couple months at outposts.

Card games require so few devs compared to other games too.

How do you distinguish an interdimensional empire from an interplanetary empire? Well, the obvious difference is that, if one of them isn't interdimensional, then all its constituent planets occupy different places the same physical reality. That's their main difference, so that's where the distinction lies.

So, some of the multi-dimensional citizens would be from alternate realities with different laws of physics. They didn't just evolve in different biomes, their homeworlds are so fundamentally different from ours that they can't normally exist in our universe. They use special equipment to either adapt themselves to our physics or bring their physics with them, and by properly applying their physical laws they can achieve feats which seem like magic to us.

>Universal Union
The only mention of this literally anywhere in the game is "And only the universal union that small minds call 'The Combine' can carry us there".

He's describing what it is- a union of universes- not any kind of title. The closest we ever get is 'Combine Civil Authority' and even then that's just the name of the occupying garrison.

>was my self insert fetish space empire I use for ERP
Elaborate

Taking the b8 pretty easy huh?

Trust me, you probably wouldn't be interested.

This is an interesting discussion.

kAlso no reason, at least for Chaos aligned factions; limited reach of astronomicon puts a soft limit on Imperial travel.

The warp isn't turbulent outside of the galaxy due to lack of life in the void, if you try warping out there you hit the still waters of the warp and just float, being forced back to normal propulsion methods