Table Titans

I just don't get this comic, is it meant to be a showcase for the absolute worst parts of this hobby?

Other urls found in this thread:

kafka.apache.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

like anything with dykes is garbage at face value and when you look into it

>is it meant to be a showcase for the absolute worst parts of this hobby?
Rat Queens takes that cake is we're talking IC.
Penny Arcade if we're talking OOC

>is it meant to be a showcase for the absolute worst parts of this hobby?
Kind of? They're definitely plundering that for storytelling fodder in any case.

It certainly seems like it across the board this chapter. Two grimderp backstories, the "chaotic evil killed my group" meme, group infighting about "betrayal" and now complaints about killstealing.

PA/AI is incredible, wft are you talking about?

>like anything with dykes is garbage at face value and when you look into it
true

ugh

well, I avoid anything that Scott develops, so I have no idea how bad Table Titans is, but based on PVP, I can't imagine it being very good.
For me however, the worst is the OEL manga King of RPGs showcases the worst of what there is for the hobby.
the MC is a guy who got WAY too into MMORPGs had a psychotic break and is now channeling his psychosis into tabletop. His enabler is someone who wants to run a game where EVERYONE gets as into his game as the MC. the antagonist is a police officer who is the embodiment of all the 'satanic panic' finger pointers, who at one point, after a kid has his valuable collection of CCGs taken from him by a bully, gives the bully a slap on the wrist and has the kid throw his collection into the incinerator.
it is the most insulting thing I've every read.

>3 pages in
>beardface with child
>trash talking suburban Susan
>sulky teen with hair I've seen on a pokemon.. or SU
I-is it too late to get off this ride?

I mean, it's written by Scott Kurtz. He's not very good. I like him and all, he seems like a really nice guy, but I read a lot of PvP way back when it was new and I check in on it every year or so, and it has never been any good. I don't think there's any deep meaning to Table Titans being bad, it's just the way Kurtz writes.

>be annoyed by this obvious political pandering
>HOW COULD YOU BE BOTHERED, THE LAST JEDI WASN'T AN SJW MOVIE

is it weird that I would bang her?

Probably in the mouth, so she'll stop talking.

Everyone can just fuck off with the bullshit already. Just have one place on the Internet that doesn't have SJWs and anti-SJWs at each others' throats.

Look at all these triggered men lol

salty SJWs

Live free, don't join.

You're dead! You don't exist! Get out, Marcie!

Are you fucking stupid? They're partly responsible for modern nerd" culture and a wave of retarded video gamers doing TTRPGS.

>No not Blackleaf!

In seriousness though, what's the context of this? Ignoring PvP dickishness how does getting stabbed once kill you? Or does the GM run some hyper autistic G-Rated game where going "what the hell" gets you kicked?

>In seriousness though, what's the context of this? Ignoring PvP dickishness how does getting stabbed once kill you?
Gimpy mage? Already (severely) injured? Pretext to kicking the guy for being a moron?
Angling for a three way in the worst possible way you can?

I assume a Sneak Attack from a (supposedly) allied rogue.
Damned if I'm going to invest more than 3 minutes looking, though.

>enter into a thread adressing SJW bullshit
>gets mad when people talk about SJWs

wew

Anyone who thinks this comic is a portrayal of appropriate player and DM behavior is a fucking moron. Like holy shit.

Straight up attacking another player for their shinies is fucking awful. It's the TTRPG equivalent of being that kid who straight up fucking punches the other kids when you're "it" in tag. It's just bad sportsmanship.

And the GM is a dick too. I don't believe GMs should go into full babysitter mode when PvP happens but you should never deny a player a roll to avoid dying.

And lastly how the fuck can you even add enchantments which negate death saves? If someone even asked if they could do that I would become suspicious because it's obvious they're planning to kill players.

>It's a handwave dagger with the Bullshit Curse, Alan.
At this point, why not have them run GURPS or some shit? If this is the kind of plots he wants to write, why not have the characters in his comic play a game where that's a routine outcome of getting gutshanked outta nowhere?

Veeky Forums likes having a boogeyman, and /pol/ been leaking on Veeky Forums quite a bit lately.

I'm pretty certain that the comic is intended to be a portrayal of BAD player interactions and DM behavior, given what I've just brushed over in trying to find the relevant page.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've really only just plowed through Season 1 in the last 15-20 minutes, but there's a lot of implication that the former party (those in the comic) were really shitty to each other, and it ended that friendship.

The blonde in that pic and the black haired guy are now in different gaming groups, and talk shit whenever they see each other. The DM has been replaced by someone else.

I think isn't too far off, in that the comic is actively showing a mixture of good and bad player choices, serving as a sort of "babby's first RPG" etiquette manual, as well as an overarching narrative and so on,

Also SJWs are a creeping cancer that has been eating every tabletop culture alive for the past decade or more. That too.

>reeee reeeeee my hobby is growing!

>in that the comic is actively showing a mixture of good and bad player choices, serving as a sort of "babby's first RPG" etiquette manual, as well as an overarching narrative and so on,

I want to believe this as well. But the way that other player goes "whoa" makes me uncertain. I could be an exasperated reaction, but part of me thinks it's a reverent adulation for this "twist" she didn't see coming.

I may just be acting cynical though.

Oh yeah, just look at all the damage they've done.

He's reeing because HIS hobby isn't growing at all, on the contrary it's being cannibalized and pushed aside by a cancer growing on it.

Granted, his hobby is probably reading the archives of CharOp like scripture and never playing a game, but all the same...

Hahahahahshahahaa

What damage have they actually done? Aside from cannibalizing White Wolf (which was always fringe left anyway) or shitting up RPG.net (which was always shit anyway)?

Social Justice freaks are annoying, I won't argue against that. But I find neckbeards far more insufferable and I encounter them in the wild far more often.

Depends on system.

This thread sucks dick

You lied to me.

I mean about the only thing nWoD has done that's as bad as oWoD Werewolf is Beast...and not even the SJW crowd liked Beast, as it basically said 'Yes, being different IS a natural part of you...and it also makes you an inhuman monster that will bring suffering to all about you and the world would be better without you'. Beast was so hilariously tone deaf about what it was saying.

>And lastly how the fuck can you even add enchantments which negate death saves? If someone even asked if they could do that I would become suspicious because it's obvious they're planning to kill players.
I think that he cursed his own daggers to deny himself death-saves. Probably as some sort of min-maxing trade off.

Sounds like you like having a boogeyman and that one is /pol/.

Found the /pol/

WoD has always been crap, but at least they knew their audience, the goths/wiccan types who hung around with the nerds.

That and 'neckbeards' are rare as far as I'm concerned, pretty much everyone is cordial and polite. Which makes me really doubt anyone who cites the community is filled with neckbeards as ever having played TGs

It's just a comic relax

Hello Kafka.

A shit comic user... but a comic nevertheless

>Confiscating and ripping character sheets
Those were some dark times.

The way he throws some nonsense rulesbabble there gets me every time. It's as bad as the Community episode.

Black haired guy is a dickhole everytime he's on screen, but everyone else just puts up with him because "muh friendship".
But honestly, I've seen that exact dynamic in many IRL groups, so maybe he's not too far off the mark.

kafka.apache.org/

I think I'll check this out.

No, they're both thieves. He's had his daggers enchanted with this to be able to more effectively murder NPCs, she stole one and killed him with his own dagger.

I found the rules babble to be charming. Made me feel like a scientist listening to technobabble.

>But honestly, I've seen that exact dynamic in many IRL groups, so maybe he's not too far off the mark.
You don't even need to leave Veeky Forums to find proof of how endemic this particular horrible decision is. It shows up 300+ times in every That Guy thread.

Nerds are fucked in the head about rejection, that's the long and short of it.

The war's gotten too big, it's not just SJW vs /pol/ on the internet, the whole fukkin' world is polarazing around us. This cultural conflict is only going to get worse, just you watch.

I think the comic is supposed to feel human and relatable. Every one has their problems and quirks. The page after this reveals the reason she's sulking is because she planned to do a neat stunt when the DM just sort of cut the fight short and said the last player that entered the fight just killed the rest of the enemies. Blondie even perks up when the player she's jealous of tells her how awesome that would have been and seems to get over the sulking.

The Markovian's a pretty fun idea for a barbarian.

As others said, it really isn't that pervasive, they sit around in easy to understand games and dev for some games that were either shit or were at least fringe anyway.

Besides, oh no the chapter fiction is cringe. Good thing I don't give a shit and am going to run my game as I was always going to.

Having finally reached the scene:
It's the culmination of a game where the players all played CE characters. Another player calls the guy out on having tried to kill her twice.

It's made pretty clear through subtext that what's really going on is that the guy had feelings for the girl, she thought "betraying" him was the logical pay-off for the campaign, trying to take the game as "seriously" as he did, and instead he got his panties in a twist, and now neither group is happy.

I's called out "You were playing an EVIL CAMPAIGN, what did you expect?"

So...It's showing such betrayals as necessary potential outcomes of playing evil campaigns, but it's also pretty focused on the dude who's pissed about it, showing that such betrayals can really piss off your friends and fuck up your social group.

It's...probably the most even-handed depiction of this sort of thing I've seen.

Sounds uncharacteristically insightful. Not as on-the-ball as say, Darths and Droids but if what you're saying is true this artist has a much better idea of tabletop games than most people who make webcomics.

It's written by Scott Kurtz. Should tell you everything you need to know.

That's probably the intent, but the actual writing is atrocious. The black-haired guy has been a dick since day one of the strip, and the actual in-game resolution of the scene is shit. I get that comics don't need to follow rules to the letter for narrative reasons, but the way it's handled here is basically "just because".
Whatever point Kurtz was trying to make, it came out really poorly.
And don't get me started on the whole "let's vote the DM out of the game" thing.

>The black-haired guy has been a dick since day one of the strip

I find this is quite common with players are are obviously attracted to another player.

>I's called out "You were playing an EVIL CAMPAIGN, what did you expect?"
>betrayals as necessary potential outcomes of playing evil campaigns

That's bullshit.
You can be a bloodthirsty cruel and evil motherfucker, but still have absolute loyalty to any number of things; to family, to gangmembers, to a king, or your commanding officer, or to a group of adventurers. The sort of loyalty that never breaks.

When it's you against the world, the need to have a partner in crime or someone to watch your back is greater than ever.

I hate how people try to always force evil characters into these mustache twirling caricatures of villains.

Welcome to nu/tg/pol/.

>/pol/ been leaking on Veeky Forums quite a bit lately
If you mean for the past two years, yeah. they've been shittign up every third thread regardless of if it was bait or not, and now lately they've been adding their own bait threads to booty (which is why most people think it's 'lately' because they don't read other threads).

It's been a lot longer than 'lately'.

This. Just because someone is evil doesn't mean they aren't loyal. They can even be heartbroken and be the ones victim of betrayal.

Doesn't stop them from being evil mind you, it's just that they have a breadth of personalities available to flavor their evilness.

I don't agree with many of your stated and implicit points, but that's fine. It's quite late here, and it's not worth losing sleep arguing over a silly comic from a middling creator.

But NPCs don't get Death Saves

Certainly.

And to an extent, that's the explicit called out response: "Character Alignment doesn't excuse bad player behavior. D&D is supposed to be co-operative."

The comic makes it clear that the act was the result of a misunderstanding of the shared character relationship but points out that Alan maintaining a lengthy real-world vendetta, dividing gaming groups and attempting to further divide his new one over a betrayal in a game is more than a little childish.

I guess I've just noticed it a lot more lately. I've always ignored a certain background count of interboard leakage though, so that's probably why.

Or maybe CURRENTYEAR has me fucking raw on their shenanigans. Who knows.

They've been doing it since 2012. Like seriously, they actually started popping up here spouting stuff about Treyvon and the Zimzam in threads that had absolutely nothing to fucking do with anything black like a fucking worldbuilding thread. Hell, half of the original /q/ was fucking calls to nuke /pol/ because it was leaking all over the fucking place. It's the fucking reason that for years Rule 3 had keep /pol/ in /pol/.

the first half is most def bad no good dnd. insta death, min-maxing, railroading, grognards, and so on and so forth. then they add new players to the group and the dm makes players play classes outside of what they constantly play and they have a fun rp experience. The secondary group does something different also and they have a blast playing experimental dnd settings.

i'm going off memory but i think the 2 rogues that betrayed each other are the worst offenders of everything bad about dnd players and the gm is the bad gm but they are all getting better.

I heard one of the writers or something looks almost exactly like that character so it’s probably more a case of hacky self inserting than sjw pandering.

There is nothing wrong with an evil character killing a friend if it gets them what they want.

There /are/ loyal fiends. There are bad guys with codes of conduct.

There are also manipulators, assholes who use others for their own ends. We call them jews.

Fucksnatch there was in her own poorly written way playing the jew of the campaign.

>uses politically charged words to push their argument
Opinion disregarded.

Exactly. Evil doesn't mean stupid and it doesn't mean friendless. It's like people pretend reputations don't exist.

It's why traitors get the ninth circle of hell, far below thieves, murderers, rapists, even heretics, etc.

The "first half" you mention is actually a rather brief prequel, and arguably the first 10-15 strips of the first "season".

At this juncture, it's probably no more than 2% of the entire comic, if that.

And they've wisely moved the prequel to the bottom of the archive, so you're a little more likely to miss it until far after it's really important.

>Thinking Judaism is a political ideology rather than a religion

It definitely is a sociopolitical construct. As is Islam. There is the religious aspect, but also a cultural level.

They both function to control a group of people and keep them united in a way religion alone does not do.

And I thought they were freaking out about Fucksnatch.

Nope. She's a bitch.
and are just retarded dipshits who like nu/tyg/pol/.

fuck off /pol/, you wouldn't be here if there wasn't SJWs lurking. you both are trash, just one is overtly trying to shit up the hobby and the other one just sits in a corner being edgy.

Is there any way to tell which is which? Anything can ruin an overly sensitive group. I have seen edge lords that were loved by a group because their character was comically edgy. I have seen racism parodied beautifully by people through use of Elves and Dwarves.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with either group explicitly as long as they are playing the game and people are enjoying themselves.

What they think politically, or say personally, aren't the important part. That they are playing together is.

but then the faggots from a containment board can't shit everywhere.

>Anything can ruin an overly sensitive group

I think the premise is to find a group that isn't that.
It used to be that being on imageboards and the internet in general would grow you a thick skin as you learned not to give too much of a fuck.
Now it seems like every other person wants a safe space.

you think /pol/acks know that /pol/ is a safe space for them?

I guess?
I don't know, I don't give a fuck about /pol or sjws. Life is too short to throw hissy fits, especially on the internet of all places.

For a lot of threads I'd agree with you. This one however is inherently political so fuck right off.

Or perhaps people just comment on this and there's people of all kinds of political shades; we also live in a time where people are being pressured on politics and with many forces in society especially dominant ones in Europe and such insisting that politics is present in all parts of life.

it's not though.

That's nice, now keep it the fuck out of my escapism.

That's nice and all, but those fucksticks can go fuck themselves back to their containment board. This sort of shit coming form /pol/ is literally we don't want to have to shut up about politics when we go off our board, so we'll use the "everything is political" excuse.
Truthfully I wish they'd just give a shotgun a blowjob.

The thing is I'd agree but it seems people complain when someone says something from the right. Left wing stuff gets tolerated more while both should go back to /pol/.

>Politics talk should go back to its containment board and people who do it should eat a bullet while they're at it
>Hurt durr nazis who don't want to hear about trannies what's the problem u triggered bro?

/pol/ definitely aren't here. No sir.

> being this wrong
The only retard here is you. AI didn't register as anything more as a blip on the normie consciousness until long after Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day and TBT had already started dragging the hobby through the mud for fake geek credibility. Why do you think WotC included Wil to start with? Because he already had the pull.

>Autistic screeching ensues

Tried to read the comic and, whoa! is shit! what a surprise. Why are you even reading that in the first place?

>rulesbabble
>What are narrative

It’s fine to rip character sheets. Makes it more dramatic in a fun way. And it’s not like they’re precious or unique, I print a fresh one every couple levels anyway.