Dm introduced a powerful relic of my paladins order lost to the ages to me in private a few sessions ago

>Dm introduced a powerful relic of my paladins order lost to the ages to me in private a few sessions ago.
>Brought it up to the party but they all seem rather disinterested about it. Thinking maybe its something I'll have to do on my own.

How would you guys go about searching for a holy grail style object Veeky Forums?
Hard mode: No divination

Torture.

Ask around? Maybe your order knows something, or maybe the local bard.

well the DM could do it that way

thing is though, if its a powerful relic important to the order, and they had any idea where it was + the capability to retrieve it, they would. so either they lack the capability (and would approach the paladin when hes shown his worth), or the knowledge (and so theres no point in asking them).

if it were real life, i'd look for ancient records, as well as scholars outside of the order, as they would pursue the knowledge for intellectual interest, and thus not be likely to act on it

We've got a bard in our party, knowledge checks didn't reveal much about where it could be but more about its ability's and such. I'd try divination but we dont really have the means atm.

Pretty much what spot on with the knowledge and means part. We have access to a few different library's an scholars I may try this approach to see if it gleams more information.

Funny thing, I'm in a fairly similiar boat as a DM, where the players have to look for the holy grail-like object that could by anywhere in the world, and I was a bit lost how exactly could they find it. I ended up creating three options (with a dungeon for each) to do it.
Two of the three are divination. Since both the players and the helpful NPCs lack the ability to properly divine the object's location, they had to either find something that COULD accurately divine it's location, or enter a magic tower that induces prophetic nightmares into people. They chose the second option.
The third option involved finding someone who's old enough to remember how the object was lost in the first place - a vampire, in that case.

Spooky am I one of your players? watchknight of helm called tali that has prophetic nightmares as a flaw.

This is now an elf thread.

Dig up the records, try to find lost records, ask the shadow demon wanking in a faraway cave to give up a secret after you solve a riddle or bash him, ask a dragon, find intel about wielder/creator of the relic and think in what sentimentally significant place they would hide it

if as a Paladin you cant convince your party to aid you in finding a relic of your order then you should ditch them.

the relic must be of great importance to both you and your order, it is imperative you find it

Deus vult. I'm sure I could convince the characters but the players are another evil to deal with.

I had a player go through something similar with their paladin.
>They were questing for their family, which were lower nobility.
>family wanted paladin to go to their ancestral lands in search of ancient treaties and family tree documents, which might be in [insert castle here]
>after a number of hilarious side adventures, paladin finds ancestral family keep
>Family tree tapestries are located, ancient treaties are lost
>Paladin finds urn of a martyred saint
>Paladin returns home and drops off tapestries
>drops off ashes at temple
>gets rewarded

gonna post some elvs now

Personally I'd start hunting leads anywhere I can in my travels. Trying to find a sufficient collection of knowledge, either lost or known, then gain access to it as best I can. Asking at other orders if they have any tomes that might have been overlooked, asking nobles we deal with that have an ancient lineage if they might have a library or tomes pertaining to the general subject. The nice part is this can all be done while traveling with the party you just have to devote some of your own down time to it. Once you find a lead though, with or without them is when I'd begin pursuing it as my main goal.

>theres no point in asking them
I wouldn't take that tact.
Surely they at least have legends of where, why, when it went missing. Based on the relic's history, it may give you a lead on where to go/who to ask next. Your DM may just want to throw you a bone for earnest effort.

>look for ancient records, as well as scholars outside of the order
solid thinking, and I agree with you. I just think you shouldn't disregard your own order as a resource before at least trying to get some leads from them.

I love all these ideas, especially the third one. It's so obvious in hindsight.
>how do I find out what happened a long long time ago?
>ask someone really really old.
duh, but I don't know that I would think of it if the problem was put to me.

Put your finger on a map, god will guide your hand.

>I just think you shouldn't disregard your own order as a resource before at least trying to get some leads from them.
some leads, sure.

the point i was trying to make is that the order cant be all of the following:
a) knowing of solid leads to the location of the relic
b) capable of retrieving it
c) strongly desiring retrieving it
if c isnt true, then they wouldnt bother sending the paladin on the quest. if a isnt true, then theres no point relying on the order for leads. if b isnt true (outside of the PCs), then its not really a search so much as a fetch quest

yeah, I agree.

kill yourself you gay loving fuck

>How would you guys go about searching for a holy grail style object Veeky Forums?

better hit up a major archive/library for clues or leads. maybe if you are lucky you will find a scholar who has been trying to find clues about your grail. hopefully they will become an ally isntead of a rival.

You got the definition of gay ass backwards