Anyone know good cyberpunk rpgs/systems that are not shadowrun?

Anyone know good cyberpunk rpgs/systems that are not shadowrun?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ8moLn3e-k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmxYePDPV6M
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUiK2InLEc
m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5BD5E90FCDDAB09B&v=Njz4InqmF_c
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fp8mYC5abE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cyberpunk the system. One google search you lazy fuck

Just thought I'd check with aboard that knows their shit before using google, thanks.

All cyberpunk systems are shit. Use GURPS for it.

Shadowrun 5e

Technoir, which is perfect if you want to tell hardboiled or...well, tech-noir stories. The player's guide is free, but it's mostly just good for making a character. It has a bit of quick-reference stuff as well, but it's kinda cryptic when taken in a vacuum.

GURPS

My favorite is Cyberpunk 2020. It's not perfect, but it's a pretty solid medium-crunch RPG. It's much simpler and quicker than Shadowrun. Since there are tons of material for it, especially house rules, I recommend running it first as it is out of the box without using anything but the main rulebook. As the DM and players get more experienced, start incorporating whatever interests you.

Another thing that I like with Cyberpunk 2020, is that the system is pretty generic. You can run whatever style of cyberpunk you want (gutterpunk, cyberpreppy, post-cyberpunk...) with minimal changes.

GURPS suits GURPS Cyberpunk pretty well, but isn't ideally suited for fast-paced, action-oriented cyberpunk. GURPS is by default a crunchier system, than Cyberpunk 2020.

Another game I like is ExMachina. It uses the Tristat/dX system. The only drawback is that it doesn't feature a detailed setting - there are four setting ideas, but none is very developed - and there is no cyberware list. You choose advantages like armor or more hit points and then describe how this translates to your character (ex. armor could be from a subdermal armor, or from skinweave, or a protective energy field, etc.). Personally, I like to have catalogues.

If you wanted to hear about things besides Shadowrun, you could have just said "good cyberpunk systems"

OP wouldn’t have gotten any feedback at all if he said “good cyberpunk systems”.

The Sprawl is pretty regularly recommended as an alternative system, but the main problem is that you can't really do much of anything meaningful outside the prescribed mission format. It's good if you're going from mission to mission and doing things in the middle of a job, but things don't really shake out when you're not on the clock.

It's also a Powered by the Apocalypse game, but one of the better ones, so make of that what you will.

>no mention of Savage Worlds: Interface Zero
>instead GURPS and CP2020
He wanted good systems not shitty autism simulators or bad design from the 80s

Cyberpunk 2020
Interface Zero
GURPS Cyberpunk
ICE Cyberspace
Underground
Wyred
Technoir
Remember Tomorrow
Karbon
Hunter//Seeker
Zaibatsu
Ex Machina
Neuropolitan
The Sprawl
The Veil
Memory Love Hotel

Eclipse Phase (kinda, strong overlap but it's more transhumanist scifi)

Oh, and Corporation, if you want to play agents of the megacorps.

Kuro, if you want a mix of cyberpunk and Japanese horror.

Hunter//Seeker is just Cyberpunk 2020 with a couple of modifications.

Like you’d need a special game for this.

Interface Zero is bad design from the 2000s and the setting is dumb as fuck

You should tell what kind of game you intend to run. What makes a game good for you?

You can use Stars Without Number to make a pretty reasonable Cyberpunk system as long as you cut the explicitly space stuff. It does basically all the other shit though.

You forgot some:
Alternity
SLA Industries (vaguely)
Torg (Japan and France)

Polychrome seems pretty cyberpunk.

Those are scifi, cross-genre games (eg, SLA is mostly horror). If we included every game that had "a few elements of cyberpunk" in them, the list would include Star Wars and Rifts, among dozens of others.

OP specifically asked for "cyberpunk rpgs", not "scifi rpgs with some cyberpunk and other elements".

Fair enough

I want to run a cyberpunk game more focused on espionage and spy games, ala The Sandbaggers (the best espionage show you've never seen) but in the near future, with cybered agents and hackers and shit. And even more bureaucracy.

Considering that action doesn’t seem to be the main focus, I’d either recommend GURPS with Cyberpunk and spy shit supplements, or to go with a rulelight system.

I'd hack Gumshoe. The Night's Black Agents version I'm most familiar with has great espionage-type stuff for the player side, but you'd need to make some different skills and a framework for cyberwear and hacking. There may be a version of the system that's alreafy closer to what you want than that, but I don't know what it would be. I think there's a space-noir version? Maybe that one.

>Savage Worlds is badly designed
Shit taste detected
>setting is dumb as fuck
Can't argue with that, I'm afraid. Who the fuck wrote that setting's take on the UK?

Time for some music:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ8moLn3e-k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmxYePDPV6M

Tracks:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUiK2InLEc
m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5BD5E90FCDDAB09B&v=Njz4InqmF_c
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fp8mYC5abE

are you completely stupid? just searching doesn't mean it's good, that's why hotels and restaurantes have reviews, geez what a faggot

Seen it, loved it and dear God is Burnside a man you want to shake hands with one hand and at the same time punch him in the dick with the other. Disclaimer: I'm a guy who grew up reading Forsyth and Le Carre.

Your best bet would be, like user at said, a combo of GURPS Cyberpunk and Espionage. That aside, the only way a realistic IO game would work would probably be a solo game with you filling and emptying DLBs, unless the other players would be willing to be the back-up team at the embassy with scanners to monitor the local CI people, read maps and sift through reams of files on people.

This is the wrong board for that. The only ttrpg Veeky Forums is capable of discussion at length is D&D. The board is embarrassingly unknowledgable about anything beyond that outside of a few anons.

Seconding The Sprawl.

You can get a bit creative with the mission format I feel.

I think interface zero's rules are a not really good independent from the rest of SW, but it's been a while since I've read it.

>Twisting Tongue - unique ability

Related to OP, are there good cyberpunk games for a long-term game where the players are revolutionaries or rebels? A lot of these systems are structured around completing episodic missions and that's not what I'm looking for.

Shadowrun isn't cyberpunk, sorry cyberspunk kids.
Nothing wrong with Cyberpunk 2020, just be careful with splats, cyber codzilla is real and he's a Solo

I didn't see any problem with it once I read it. Savage Worlds is a pretty damn good system for a tactical, action-heavy cyberpunk game if you add the Gritty Damage and maybe Blood and Guts optional rules from the corebook.

>monitor the local CI people, read maps and sift through reams of files on people.

Tried to do that with my group, they got bored of it fast. Real espionage is boring work.

>Shadowrun isn't cyberpunk

Kek.

I don't make the rules, I just follow the rules

Something that focuses more on the vr or internet being a enviroment of it's own, akin to netrunner's artwork and games such as Megaman's Battle Network.
My player group are pretty flexible in types of characters, but are mostly an action themed party.
That said shadowrun's system felt bogged down for them due to riggers/deckers/mages all have three systems of their own.

There are no rules, the only thing to follow is general agreement and even then you are free to disagree.

Trips of truth my nigga

Action themed party with a focus on the net, the all decker party? Or the more traditional team of actionmen+decker? The first tends to work out ok, but the second runs into that problem. I really don't know how to go around it other then "Don't play 1 decker, play something else and get NPCs to hackerman for your party".
Yeah, and I hope the general agreement is that DnD with guns isn't cyberpunk

>Yeah, and I hope the general agreement is that DnD with guns isn't cyberpunk
You are free to do so, but don't declare it to be objective truth when you know better.
And what's not cyberpunk about it? It's got the high tech. It's got the low life. It's got the pink mohawks. That's cyberpunk in a nutshell.

It also has shamans, spirits, magic, fantastic races, dragons, and none of the tone that makes cyberpunk. It's difficult to explain, but shadowrun just doesn't lend itself to the noir undertone that really gave cyberpunk it's magic.

Please explain more

Fantasy elements are perfectly compatible with noir, that's the entire Urban Fantasy genre.

>Veeky Forums
>knows their shit
About how to complain maybe

>SLA is mostly horror
And the rest of it is biopunk, so it really doesn't fulfill any of the criteria.

urban fantasy =\= cyberpunk. VTM is "urban fantasy" but is also not cyberpunk. shadowrun is a nice and unique setting but it comes with a lot of caveats that many people just want to skip without just ignoring one third of a rulebook.

I just prefer 4e shadowrun.

>urban fantasy =\= cyberpunk.
I didn't say it was. I said there's nothing about fantasy that is incompatible with noire, and therefore there's nothing about Shadowrun that is incompatible with cyberpunk.

noir isn't always cyberpunk. so trying to transitive property your way into saying shadowrun is definitely cyberpunk has me scratchin my head here

You said Shadowrun can't have that special noir spice because it's got fantasy and therefore it can't be cyberpunk.
I'm saying there's nothing about fantasy that ruins the special noir spice.
I'm the one scratching my head here, user. You keep side-stepping your own point.

not the same user, but i can understand what he's saying. fantasy races kinda filters toward transhumanism and not everyone is trying to mix that with their cyberpunk, which when it comes to pen and paper rpgs is flavored more and more anachronistically. that's why people often look for non shadowrun rpgs, because maybe they don't want to play with orks and elves and magic, and don't want to feel like they're playing 1/2 a game to try and cut those elements out.

>fantasy races kinda filters toward transhumanism

>caveats
What do you mean by this?

I'm the original guy.
Have you seen noir fantasy? I sure haven't. Grimdark, gothic, sure, but not noir. I think what he means by transhuman is more that it stops being about humanity? That's a theme you see a lot in cyberpunk, the loss of humanity, but you don't see that in shadowrun, at most you have the largely pointless Essence mechanic, I don't think Essence actually has narrative consequence, or at least I forgot it.
I'm not good with words, but what I think I'm trying to say is that shadowrun, by virtue of its world and lore, too focused on the mega corp, on the (((dragon))), on societal problems, they forget to turn inwards. The world is just not bleak enough without those inner demons to let the ember that the player makes for himself shine.

I run Savage Worlds with the Interface Zero 2.0 module. I like it a lot.

I don't have a horse in the race, but the dude who wrote the black company books wrote a slew of pretty fun fantasy noir books.

I love Cyberpunk 2020 because it’s simple and straightforward. You don’t need to interrupt the game to check out some exotic feat that interrupts combat or switches initiative order. In Cyberpunk 2020, characters are simply described through stats, skills and equipment. It also makes character creation pretty fast, which is good for high-lethality genres.

A man of solid taste

>Have you seen noir fantasy?

Yes.

>I think what he means by transhuman is more that it stops being about humanity? That's a theme you see a lot in cyberpunk, the loss of humanity, but you don't see that in shadowrun

You've read a very limited selection of Shadowrun's extensive lore and made a wide-ranging and entirely incorrect assumption from it, at best.

>at most you have the largely pointless Essence mechanic

...It's not, though? It serves as a fairly elegant balance/consequence mechanic for replacing yourself with machinery. You're selling "you" to get your societal and physical position ahead. This keeps mages from being too overpowered (which, admittedly, was handled better in 4e than 5e), and hammers home that for most chucklefucks on the street, *this is the best option they have.*

>I don't think Essence actually has narrative consequence, or at least I forgot it.

It makes you less recognizably "a person". Your soul is less connected to your body, and whether or not there's a person inside, talking to robots fucking sucks.

>they forget to turn inwards. The world is just not bleak enough without those inner demons to let the ember that the player makes for himself shine.

Well that's wrong. That's not even a matter of opinion, you're just ignoring a massive slew of character arcs from Jackpointers over the years (Turbo Bunny comes to mind immediately), the attached novels (which to be fair vary wildly in quality), or the constant pervasive themes of drug usage and alienation running through the game. (Seriously, the fact that "drugs" is a gear section that can easily get more extensive use than any other should be a massive hint here...)

I'm honestly wondering what the hell you have read and what you ignored to form your opinion, because honestly my duder, it sounds like you're spouting secondhand memes that never made much sense in the first place. 10/10. I ain't mad, but I'm confused as hell and you got a response.

There's a cyberpunk hack for Blades in the Dark in the works called Null Vector. That might fit the bill once it comes out.

Blades' pacing is based on the idea that consequences from earlier missions snowball and come back to haunt you later. It has rules for playing the downtime in between missions, and generating new plot hooks from your characters' vices and private dealings. It also has pretty tight rules for faction politics.

The Vigilantes playbook might be good inspiration for how to run a group of revolutionaries.

Which of these is/are rules lite while still having rules on armor and implants?

I'm not very versed in shadowrun no, it disinterested me by reading the corebook. "What I've read" is that, the corebook. By useless essence I meant more on the narrative sense, I know it's just a magician limiter. I don't know if outside lore really counts, novels and all, the writer isn't constrained by the system when he's writing, he just needs to tell his story withing the setting.But that's not entirely my reasoning anyway, I was just speculating on other user's opinion. I just don't enjoy magic and fantasy with cyberpunk.

Not completely rulelight but still fairly simple:
Cyberpunk 2020
Ex Machina
Zaibatsu
Wyred

It's 2018, cyberpunk is dead. Play Eclipse Phase for post-cyberpunk goodness

Oh, so you have piss poor reading comprehension and/or don't pay attention to things. 'kay.

>I just don't enjoy magic and fantasy with cyberpunk.
Then just say that in the first place instead of "Shadowrun isn't cyberpunk" and a bunch of nonsensical justifications, ya numpty.

That’s my kind of cyberpunk. Not set too far in the future, not too different from now.

comfy as fuck

You don't NEED a special game for anything. We could all just play fucking FATE or GURPS for every setting.

There’s already a large quantity of cyberpunk RPGs.

Oh I still maintain that it's not cyberpunk.

>You've read a very limited selection of Shadowrun's extensive lore
That also describes the current crop of developers.

Well none of your arguments so far have demonstrated otherwise, so it's still cyberpunk.