What's your favourite class/archetype? You may choose only one

What's your favourite class/archetype? You may choose only one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-i1XZc8ZwA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anything that's anyhow related to magic.

Grizzled, but normal soldier dude in a setting comprised of fantastical beings, magic and Gods.

Wardens 4 lyfe

This.

People with oversized weapons

Swashbuckler

Even if only for the energetic movement and an excuse to crack wise in combat.

Magus. Because gish are fun.

Valor Bard.

I like being an okay fighter. I like being an okay caster. I like rolling well on skill checks, especially Persuasion. The idea of being a jack of all trades but not useless, master of none but good enough has always appealed to me. I don't need to be the highest damage dealer, I don't need to be the guy bending reality, I just like being useful in all areas.

Paladin. Kicking ass for the Lord never gets old.

GM

cleric. love to be suited n booted n castin n smashin

Bawd.

The most interesting social character you can have next to distance trader and nautical engineer.

Warlord, particulary the Roman Centurion themed variety

Class: Paladin
Archetype: Subverted

Favourite class, overall, has to be the D&D 4e warlord. That kind of proactive, aggressive support class is rarely seen and an absolute joy to play.

As for archetype, I go out of my way to try and play different types of character from game to game rather than repeating the same few archetypes, but I do notice patterns emerging. Although I take it in a lot of different ways depending on the context, I do love playing characters who have knowledge or abilities they don't entirely understand or control, where figuring out what's happening/happened to them, or struggling to not let things go wrong in a tense moment, can provide really interesting ways for a GM to make a situation more interesting or complicated.

Voodoo doctor or the closest shaman equivalent.

Cleric necromancer

Barbarian roleplayed right

t. 12 year old.

Everyone knows that only children like magic. Real men fight with their muscles

Any sort of archetype or class that blends magic and martial prowess. Gishes in general really. I enjoy playing them from a crunch and fluff perspective.

At this point, I don't even care about class. Above average int and cha is all I need. Bonuses for leading would be nice I guess.

Monster Hitter.

pinch hit ranger. decent archery, decent 2handed melee, good skills. no group suffers from having one, and they can add something to almost any encounter.

Gunslingers.

If they're magical guns with paladin gunslingers wielding them, even better

GM.

RANGER RANGER RANGER

Spellblade. It's ridiculous that we have a cleric/fighter hybrid in paladins, but no archetypal wizard/fighter hybrid.

Gygax was a very hardcore christfag, so instead of just one christfag class he made two to drive the point home. He was accused of satanism anyway.

Muscle Wizard

I'm actually having a hard time giving you an answer. I can't rely on wow for it because I've played a bunch of things there. I've enjoyed many things and while I gravitate toward edgy casters I also have a massive hardon for two-hand weapons. Typically swords and maces/warhammers (mauls for the realismfags).

Boiled down I think my archetype is the blood knight. Burst damage and lifesteal mechanics to compensate for the lack of real defence

Power Ranger

>he doesn't muscle wizard
It's like you don't want to make on the pain just through flexing

*dish out the pain

America is a magical country.

Traveler bard with shitton of stories.
Also, improvised weaponry of mugs, chair legs, etc.

Lizard Wizard

I really like summoners. Just having lots of cool creatures at your beck and call. Shame not many games do them well, or at least to my liking

Melee Caster

Face. The ability to infiltrate an enemy through the front door.

> Star Wars, Edge of the Empire
> Be me, human noble, corporate failure background
> Person we must save taken in by bounty hunters in low-rent-area bunker
> Run a bit in the surroundings so that I'm naturally panting
> Have rest of the group "chase me" and fire blaster shots so that the bounty hunter hear it
> Buzz at the bunker's door.
> "Help me! I'm being chased around by psychos who think I have a bounty! I have money! PLEASE HELP ME!"
> "Suckers :D"

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-i1XZc8ZwA

This except specifically bludgeoning weapons and orcs

Leader Warrior types. Classes that can go from directing the flow of battle to cracking heads and back again at a moments notice. I have a soft spot for tales of generals leading from the front - Ala Alexander and Caesar - in general.

Adventure loving, lawful good, heroic Warlocks. Talk first, fight later, everyone can be friends or at least neutral parties who can cut a deal for peace

>warlock
You're pretty fuckin' far gone, aren'tcha?

Martial artists, hands down

otherwise

Heavy armour, big 2h weapon, some spellcasting ability. Gish, Paladin, Cleric are all good but I prefer arcane casting.

This. Hopefully without the cringey memes

Gunslinger.

Alchemist crossbower

Support mage with some melee skills. Like, a cleric or bard or whatever.

Monk, all day everyday. I always play monks (or people who punch people if that isn't available).

I like contracts and charisma. Study magic is meh, blood magic is meh. Hack magic is better. Music magic is second.
>opinions

Magehunters. Ideally Arcane or Elemental mages bolstered with some martial abilities that go after dark mages.

Sounds fun, is he like some kinda support utility character?

Real men roll for muscle

agreed

Fuck yes, the Warlord is a treat to play. It's the only 4e class I've played more than once, and I've ended up making a couple 5e Battlemaster fighters that use some of the Warlord-style maneuvers.

I haven't seen much stuff outside of D&D that has a similar feel, but the Commander class in SWRPG can do proactive support pretty well.

I like any kind of "light" martial class, preferably with some magic or similar utility to spice it up. So Trickster Rogues, Rangers, Valor Bards, that kind of thing.

Gonna have to agree with you on that. Martial with just a touch of magic to give it that edge in combat.

stealth archer

Yeah its usually a 5e artificer but im gonna try mixing in rogue or ranger next time I play one

Space Cowboy.
Never mentioned a setting and there are few things as cool as the hard boiled wanderer between the Stars.

Main reason I like it is because it allows me to interact with the magical component of the world in ways other than hitting it or sneaking past it.

Slick, but normal scoundrel dude in a setting comprised of fantastical beings, magic, and gods.

Con Artist

I've always really liked Monk. I enjoy the concept of high fantasy worlds with dragons and magic and yet there's people in said world who compete solely through punching things really hard

Knight looking for repentance.

Grump-ass middle aged Ranger who wishes people would stay the fuck off of his land and quit causing trouble so he can actually retire in peace. Shotgun or setting's shotgun equivalent comes standard along with the opening phrase "Fuck you I ain't fighting another overlord, get offa my property!"

>Favorite Class:Erudite

I truly love the flexibility, range, and power the class has. Any classes that have the kind of "all magic /Instant learning/ Eidetic Memory" sort of class really tickles my pickle.

Convert spell to power Erudite is the big one, but outside of 3.5, any kind of mime/blue mage/copycat sort of class serves the same purpose.

>Favorite Archetype: anomaly
Having the abilities of said class^ is unnatural, and aberrant. Even though said character has abilities, just having so much in one body doesn't give people the vibe that this is a superman waiting to save the day, but a freak of nature or calamity that should not be trusted.
Contrast that with actually just being a comfy savant with really pleasant and warm attitude, and humbleness with said abilities.
A sheep in wolves' clothing.
>Good examples: Ryner lute, Kurokami Medaka, uchihas, Sylar.

Dump CHA/Buff INT/WIS

Elemental warrior. Barbarian calling on the power of fire, thunder and rain.

Mercenary type with both a melee and ranged weapon, and has shittons of consumable utility/weapons like bombs, scrolls and potions

Hexblade Magus.

Witches Hexes, all curses automatically added to your spell list, the ability to use any curse as a spellstrike, inherently magical weaponry, and battlefield control magic as part of a full attack.

The only one that might come close is Phantom Blade Spiritualist.

>Archetype:
Heavy Weapons Guy
>Preferred subclasses:
Heavy infantry.
Suppression gunner.
Flamethrower.
Grenadier
>Preferred weapons
Non explosive. Rapid fire machine/"mini" guns

Given the choice I'll make commander mommy or the Heavy. I've never tried it with fantasy. Going over the "heavy crossbow" starts to feel too anime

>Class
Bruiser who attacks using either their bare fist or weapons that he picks up from his enemies.
>Archtype
Bumbling buffoon, especially in a party of straight men who can bounce off of the stupid shit they say.