What are some unpopular opinions in traditional gaming? Don't hold back!

What are some unpopular opinions in traditional gaming? Don't hold back!

Any opinion about DnD ever. And I don't even mean the edition-wars bullshit.

I play to have fun

All D&D opinions are unpopular?

I'm so glad I didn't go into meta of this stuff. Bulba's best.

And on Veeky Forums you'll likely get any opinion ever, this place is anonymous, impossible to tell majority from a single persistent user

Tolkien is a good writer but Middle Earth is a shitty setting, his elves are insufferable mary sues and his orcs are boring as fuck.

>pic

I think the issue is that Slash and Fire Spin were retardedly overpowered in Red/Blue, which caused everyone to get a hard on for Charizard. Slash in particular was absolute normie bait because of muh damage.

Generic fantasy in roleplaying is atrocious. I don't understand why is it still entertaining for so many people to play again and again through all of this bullshit with dwarves, elves, "unique" magic systems, two-dimensional civilizations, "epic" plots and kitchen-sink worldbuilding.
Sure, it may be fun at the beginning, but I can't grasp why so many people are still sticking to it despite the whole variety that hobby provides.

DnD 3.5 is the best P&P system out there.

Is this really that unpopular? I mean i like the setting as a whole but Elves being Mary Sues, and Orc lore being shit isn't exactly unpopular?

Nah, people were systematically picking Charmander without knowing a single thing about skillset or overpowered attacks.

Rule of cool is stupid and brews stupid and incompetent GMs and players. If there are rules regarding a certain action or feat there is a reason for it

>caring about meta and power levels in pokemon
how much of an autist can you be?

I hate casualfag atmosphere. The one where players are cracking jokes and telling some story about their life while the game is going on. I'm in it for the story and roleplay. Can we please fucking invest ourselves and blog about ourselves when the session ends?

Those shitty new not quite a board game not quite a roleplaying game games that are "popular" with women and cucks right now are remedial fucking garbage that only appeal to those "people" because they are retarded.

Netdecking teaches good deckbuilding.

>caring about strategy and techniques in chess
how much of an autist can you be?

here's an unpopular one for/tg/:

nat 20 and nat 1 (auto hit or auto miss, not the added fluff), are useful adjudication tools and it is not really that unfeasible that a highly skilled individual would succeed or fail at the equivalent 5% of the time in high stakes situations. anyone who complains otherwise is a trendy faggot who probably can't play anything other than the mary sues they pretend to hate so much

What type of games?

the ones that require him to interact with human beings

In the actual community: that D&D isnt worth playing, period. Its a horrible system for a catch-all sort of game, and isnt even that dumbed down for beginners. It serves no purpose and exists solely due to momentum and marketing.

>women and cucks
>human beings
pick one

3.5 & pathfinder are perfectly balanced games as long as you don't play with people who go out of their way to min-max and abuse the system

D&D is the most popular RPG because it's one of the best RPGs ever made.

Fudging dice is a shit tier DM practice

Good gming is about 95% interpersonal skills and 5% everything else. Most GM's fail at this.

World building is a waste of time for running games beyond its just a masturbatory exercise .

I think anybody who has actually played D&D with a critical eye for any length of time knows this from experience. Its a shame, because there are other, better systems out there that would bolt on to D20 just fine, and WotC is too dumb to use them.

As a DM, I would rather play with "casuals", and "normies" over fa/tg/uys 10 out of 10 times, and in general think people who are "good" at DnD are shit roleplayers.

Are you talking about Talisman ripoffs or something? I have no clue what games you're talking about.

That's not that unpopular. There's a sizable playerbase, most that continue playing the system even after 18 years would probably agree with it.

It's still wrong tho

>better systems out there that would bolt on to D20 just fine
kek what a fuckin' retard

I think Dungeon World is pretty okay. I have no strong feelings for or against it, having played two campaigns and run two using the system.

I think D&D 4E is a good game. It's heavy on the tactical combat and light on the exploration and social rules, which is good when easily 70% or more of your session is going to be fights.

I think 5E was great... in the playtest. If they stuck with some of their cooler ideas the game would have been amazing. Ideals like giving all Martials superiority dice and different ways to use and regain them, or like having Sorcerers run off of a pool of Willpower (Mana) that gave them passive buffs when they ran low.

I think a good campaign needs good players, a good story, and a good system. Doesn't matter what they are, as long as the group likes the people, the story, and the rules then it's a good campaign for them, and I'm happy for them. Just because I may not like something they do at their table doesn't make it badwrongfun.

I think Micro-RPGs are interesting but shallow and not for me or my group. Half my players want a complex system with lots of ways to 'build' your character, the other half want 100+ pages of detailed setting information to pour over before they even make their characters.

I think that most GMs are better than they give themselves credit and most players are worse than they'd like to admit.

I think that problem players should be immediately and directly confronted about their behaviour and kicked from the group if they don't shape up fast. I've lost too much of my life to assholes who say they're sorry and never change.

Yes, but what if you're at an edge case that bears disappointing verisimilitude?

I would say that its not the best system. It has the best CONTENT. Its like if somebody released a racing game with amazing tracks, cars, music, and netcode, but all the wheels were hexagonal.

I don't think most people have a problem with auto-fail at nat 1, its critical miss that opens the can of worms.

Here's my unpopular opinion: people who play PnP games to "try out builds" are what is killing the hobby.

I think he means games like Secret Hitler and Superfight. Games where your arguments have to be paired with charisma and empathy. Games where autism is a problem.

Unpopular on Veeky Forums or in traditional gaming? Because those are two different things

>Unpopular in traditional gaming
>D&D is a piece of crap and you should play anything else

>Unpopular opinion on Veeky Forums
>D&D is fun and works well and you can play it just fine

I don't think anyone is against the idea that nat 1s are auto-miss. The hate is all about critfails. Yeah, even the greatest warriors will miss their swings, but if once out of every twenty attacks you bury your sword in your own foot you should probably be kept away from things with sharp edges.

Oh. Yeah. Those are fine, you just have to not be a socially crippled troglodyte.

I still don't understand why they got rid of the lingering magic thing with sorcerers, its like they actually hate them, makes me wonder why they didn't just scrap them if they love wizard supremacy so much.

I honestly dont think they know either. DnD 5e reads like its about 40% finished.

Here's your (You), sad boi.

>one out of 20
You have no idea how statistics work, do you

I've seen too many people cry about "muh elven mystique" and "muh industrious uruk" to think they are just a minority.

these are well worded, reasonable responses. however, I have seen plenty of nat20 hate on Veeky Forums and I haven't even been posting all that long a time. for a taste of what I mean, observe this faggot:

>desperate damage control continues

>how dare they tell me socializing isn't a cuck thing to do
>wipes dorito dust from his dick

Nope

It's an unpopular opinion on Veeky Forums.

kek how mad can you possibly be that nobody likes sharts against white men

Hero quest is from 1989.

Hero Quest will never be popular with parasites and numales because it requires reading

You sound really fucking boring. Do you by chance work in accounting or some other soul-sucking desk job? Scared when things go outside of the status quo?

did you not read the part where he said
>Good gming is about 95% interpersonal skills and 5% everything else. Most GM's fail at this.
try critical reading before sperging out because he said 1 or 2 things you didn't like, your post is cringe as fuck and embarrassing to read

>3.5 & pathfinder are perfectly balanced games as long as you don't play with people who go out of their way to min-max and abuse the system

This isn't even remotely true. It's more accurate to say that the game is decently balanced if parties are formed of classes that are roughly similar power levels though. Unless the party Cleric is a healbot and the party Wizard is a blaster, then the imbalance of the game is pretty damn apparent even when there aren't minmaxers.

Yep, you're mad

Mine is that people need to fucking stop using "haha you nerd", both as an arguement and in general. I am not even a steretyped nerd, but it makes me fucking nuclear when people just say shit as "ahah doritos" like people itt are doing with the trolling retard.

t. boring fuck

Why are you quoting me? I said exactly that.

>What are some unpopular opinions in traditional gaming? Don't hold back!
>Don't hold back!

I think classes work better when you have lots of very simple ones instead of a few ones trying to be 'complicated', but ultimately failing.

I think modern traditional games write and read too much like a video game RTS or MMORPG and it needs to stop as it's cheapening the experience. Rules and abilities should be written with the basis of explaining how something does or works in relation to you doing an actual 'real' action and trying to simulate it in said game.

I unironically like race as a soft 'class' and the racial restrictions that come with it, but don't like how RPG's take it too literally and stat bar races from certain classes as opposed to treating them mechanically different. An Orc should be able to be a Wizard, but shouldn't play anything like a Human Wizard.

I think the west has begun to grow stagnant, unimaginative, uninspired and repressive in terms of coming up with cool rpg concepts and so forth. I can't defend this opinion, so don't bully me too much on it- it's more of a feeling or an intuition, western fantasy in the west just feels creatively bankrupt and stiff recently.

ahah doritos

>An Orc should be able to be a Wizard, but shouldn't play anything like a Human Wizard.
Wow you're a genius this sounds like a really great idea

NOT

>What are some unpopular opinions in traditional gaming?
The GM fudging dice is fine, but it should be done rarely, when the GM feels the need to adjust for an error.

Damn.
Why do you get so close to being right and then go full retard?

>3.5 & pathfinder are perfectly good games as long as you don't play with people who go out of their way to min-max and abuse the system
FTFY

>D&D is the most popular RPG because it's one of the best RPGs ever made.
Probably.

>Fudging dice is a shit tier DM practice
See above.

>Good gming is about 95% interpersonal skills and 5% everything else. Most GM's fail at this.
I think your ass-pilled statistics are off, but your point is solid.

>World building is often a waste of time for running games and it's mostly a masturbatory exercise .
FTFY
Worldbuilding can help you become instantly familiar with anything within the setting and enable swifter and more cohesive improvisation.

D&D is the top rpg for a reason. You don't have to like it but shitting yourself and crying about it won't change what is.

>Fudging dice is a shit tier DM practice

Yes, but it can make for some really epic moments:
>the mindflayer has eveloped you in it's grasp as it prepares to attack
>rolls a hit, fudges a nat 1
>The mindflayers head darts twoards you, in a do or die situation you headbut it, it loses it's grasp as it falls to it's knees, shaken by your reckless act
'Fudging' is a really commen technique used by video games to make it feel tense, even though the reality is there is no chance you'll die. Case in point: Destiny 2, when low on health enemies have a hit penalty. In D&D you can do the same if you are a bit skilled in DMing. That said, if the players realize they are unable to die it loses it's magic completly.

That reason being the first mover advantage, correct

I don't get how hard it is for people to accept that kids like fire breathing dragons.

That's not a compelling argument for it's continued supremacy. An outright better game WOULD topple the king, and yet nothing has. It's more then momentum, more then being here first. Instead of inventing /r9k/ tier reasons for Chad dnd being on top, ask what your chosen god-system could be doing better to win people over.

>XP rewards for roleplaying are bad because they are ineffectual at fostering quality roleplay. They can only bribe a rollplayer to give a minimum response.
>New players shouldn't start with a system solely because it is easy/new player friendly.
Making them jump through a training wheel hoop before being allowed to play the best system for their interests is a waste of time and a more complicated system will teach them better habits.
>Being original for originality's sake is a worthwhile pursuit, it expands our collective choice in system and setting.
>Elementals are some of the most boring fantasy creatures ever.

Not that user, but do you have any substance to that hot opinion?
Or are you just stupid?

Narrative focused games tend to create shittier stories.

chance based combat is just a crutch for people that need the excitement of gambling to make their game exciting, and really reduces the level of strategic and tactical play hobby-wide.

>a black doctor and a white doctor should practice completely differently
Retarded as fuck. If one member of a profession practices "nothing like" another, it's a subclass at best and probably just a different class.

>this race and this other race which are biologically, physically, and mentally different practice the same exact form of magic
No, you're pretty much a moron.

Mechanically it's sound. Fluffwise it's stupid as all hell.

>the same exact form of magic
If we're talking D&D, many casters actually practice unique or even proprietary magic. For instance wizards need to transcribe spells to learn them from a found spellbook, because every wizard's magic words and gestures are going to be at least a little unique.

What reason?

>it's completely different but I have to call it the same thing because autism
Wow you sure showed me, genius

No it was because Charizard objecticely got a better/cooler design than Venusaur or Blastoise. Even if personally I prefer Blastoise.

>A fat dragon is cooler than a symbiote

What do you define as "generic"? What do you prefer?

I like low to no magic and grittier games, preferably involving elaborate politics, interconnected economies and very deadly combat. Large thieves guilds with bases hidden in plain sight are a plus. As are city states.

A symbiwhat? You're a loser nerd user get out haha

You'll never develop the ultimate bioweapon this way.

See? This is what post modernism gets you. People can pass something objectively false for an opinion

In my opinion, space is full of unicorns and oxygen

It's got name recognition and a lot more advertising power, both now and in the past. D&D is the Nintendo of RPGs. It's not the best and generally doesn't appeal to people deeper into the hobby save for some sever autists (3.pf player and meleefags) but that doesn't stop your mom/grandma from thinking every video game is a Nintendo. To normalfags D&D *is* RPGs, the end all be all. It's all they know and probably all they care about

Old mechanics != Bad mechanics

Also, "slow paced" doesn't matter if the game is engaging. It's when the game is boring or feels like pushing Sisyphus' rock that it sucks.

>b-b-b-but Smogon
Fucking lol.

>Charizard objecticely got a better/cooler design than Venusaur or Blastoise

but that's not objective at all, even as a kid I much preferred cannon turtles to dragons

>Race, class, and culture have no effect on how an individual practices their profession.
No, you're retarded as fuck.

>If one member of a profession practices "nothing like" another, it's a subclass at best
So you're saying a Wizard(Orc) should play differently than a Wizard(Human)?
Like that user said?

You're splitting hairs and declaring others stupid for not doing the same.
Please keep your retarded idiocy to yourself.

Kevin Siembieda makes good games with rich world building and great opportunities and challenges for players and GMs alike.

Same. I don't really know anyone who favored plant frog dinosaurs though

I remember my sister liked Bulbasaur the best as she thought it was the cutest. They kind of fucked up with the evolutions though as Ivysaur is basically the same thing and then Venusaur is a hot mess.

this, but posted without at this time on this site without even the slightest trace of irony

>class
That's the entire issue here you silly little boy, if they are so different then they are different classes. If they aren't so different then they are the same class. You can't have it both ways maddie lil laddie.

No Irony I really like rifts and palladium fantasy. I like the history and grandiose size of the story in Palldium thr most, its not some stat block and a blurb you grt eho descriptions of cities and towns. Ill grant he doesnt understand ligistics and size of populations.....troop size being his biggest sin (looking at you western kingdom and CS in rifts.)
But Pallafium has great races, that you can play, great detailed magic systems, a god system that actually feels alive. And just so much back story and setting its just great.

please tell me more about how pokemon is serious bizznizz

>D&D is the Nintendo of RPGs.
Okay, you got me there. On tabletop I mostly play TSR-era D&D and hipster storygames, and for vidya I mostly play Nintendo and indie games.

Well, you see, it is a game.
Being a game, some people will like to play it well.

Pokemon strategy and chess strategy are not two equivalent things.

>Game is full of sexist and racist jokes
>But they made fun of Trump one time so now it's a librul cuck game

>Game was full of sexist and racist jokes
>Most of them got removed
>Except the ones about TINY WHITE DICKS and BIG BLACK COCKS
People of color me surprised that they then decided to get deranged after the election