Any advice for an aspiring designer of a rules-light system?

Any advice for an aspiring designer of a rules-light system?

Make it focused on handling one specific type of game well, instead of trying to make yet another painful attempt at a universal system.

I realize it will come across as hypocritical, on Veeky Forums of all places, but think of more productive use if your time before getting into this pursuit. Homebrews are cancer and most "professional" game designers can't put decent system together, so what would makes you think you can?

If you won't heed the above - no proprietary dice.

>Homebrews are cancer and most "professional" game designers can't put decent system together
All the more reason to try and make something you like custom-tailored to your specifications rather than just putting up with something substandard

Find your niche.
There's a lot of rules lite games, so the question becomes what does your system do that they can't.

Some games' best feature are that they are quick to learn, and that might be the route you focus on. Other games really go out of their way to create a world and to set a tone for the game, with the rules almost as an afterthought.

Though, the best route might be the "gimmick" games, games that are centered around an interesting gimmick that seperates them from the rest. Stuff like inventive resolution mechanics or props like using candles, or some wildly different style of play (like all players control one character).

Build around your intended playstyle
Play a variety of systems first
Don't make a heartbreaker
Maybe just don't

This is similar to some of the others, but What are you doing that hasn't been done?

If you are just fed up with one or two systems and want something different, you probably aren't familiar enough with what's out there to make something legitimately new.

Also, be prepared for your first 5 major drafts to just be fucking awful, broken garbage. Even if you can get something that works for your table, you're still barely out of the gate for something the general pop could make heads or tales of.

Well what do you have so far?

Remember to state that the most important part of the ruleset is that everyone has fun and that any rule that conflicts with it can me changed, the rules aren't that important after all.

>Step 1: Play as many systems as possible.
If you don't have experience with at least a dozen systems (and no, different editions of D&D don't count) you're not experienced enough to come up with a system.
>Step 2: Come up with a basic premise as far what you want it to be and then build around that premise.
If you want it to be combat focused, give players mechanics that give them options in combat. If you want a mystery focused game, give the players mechanics that focus on finding clues and interrogation.
>Step 3: Work on the core mechanics before anything else
A weak core will only cause the rest of the game to falter, so you should come up with your basic mechanics first and then build the game around that concept.
>Step 4: Playtest
Seriously, gather some people and play it out. If you notice anything weird or some part that required more explanation, write it down and fix it between sessions. Otherwise, just pretend you're running a new game system and have fun.

Playtest, and playtest, and playtest, and playtest.
Playtest until you can't playtest anymore.
And then playtest some more.

>I realize it will come across as hypocritical, on Veeky Forums of all places, but think of more productive use if your time before getting into this pursuit. Homebrews are cancer and most "professional" game designers can't put decent system together, so what would makes you think you can?

Most professional designers are pretty good at making systems.
Their major issue is communicating how to use the systems.

Yes. Don't.

>Granularity does not equal complexity.
>Don't shackle yourself to the d6 just because it is the most common die.
>Never shun a tool because it is used by a system you don't like.
>Don't forget to offer interesting game mechanics while pursuing light rules.
>Does your game offer benefits over Freeform and a random die for players who want it light?
>Consider where the weight of your rules is needed most.
>Find an unfilled niche.

As a professional writing major, it pains me when I see how many RPG rulebooks have terrible technical writing to communicate the system.

The only game I've never encountered this problem with is Rule of Cool's Legend, but sadly that one's dead.

Make a whole bunch of one-page systems before you make a multi-page one.

Rules lite systems are for people with low IQ

That's my advice

I've designed several systems, but only attempted to actually write one once.

It's hard. The major issue is that you really can't assume that the people reading the game even know the basics of roleplaying games, and you end up overexplaining everything while still somehow missing vital information, and end up with a giant monster that's tedious to read through.

Don't get stuck in the trap of thinking your gameplay has to imitate other styles of games.

Know what it’s ABOUT.

Also don’t start threads with shitty animu pics.

she's cute tho

learn math

>Homebrews are cancer
>Most "professional" designers can't put a decent system together

You contradict yourself here. So then what do you play? Nothing?

Also, typical edgelord faggot posting. Man 99% of everything is SHIT and you're not allowed to enjoy something that doesn't exactly match my specifications.

>so what would make you think you can?

One of the stupidest, most pathetically cunty things to write. Why would you tell someone not to try, because they'll just fail like everyone else? Only through trying and practice can that person become good.

You're a cunt. Fuck off.

>So then what do you play? Nothing?
Like 90% of Veeky Forums does

I homebrewed a system and it works better than any of the two dozen our group tried.