Guys embarrassing q but have any of you ever gotten... way too attached to your characters?

Guys embarrassing q but have any of you ever gotten... way too attached to your characters?

I made the mistake of coming to character creation without a solid plan, everyone else had interesting chars with lots of depth and so I offhandedly gave my guy a backstory similar to my own shitty issues that I thought I was well over.

Well anyway I'm 5 sessions in and crying while I write fic about this fucking shitty guy overcoming his/my problems because they keep coming up in game and I can't find any other way to purge these horrible post-game emotions

tl;dr I'm the fucking faggot Jack Chick warned us about

In a Star Wars MMO roleplay, I kept having my favorite Sith come back as a ghost because I wanted to give him a "proper" send-off and he kept losing in these horribly anti-climactic ways or having groups fall apart due to drama.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

Yeah. I have a human sorceress that was originally supposed to be just ironically edgy chaotic neutral demonspawn. I eventually wrote backstory that happened to reflect a blend between myself and the girlfriend I had growing up all through middle school that died. I write garbage short stories about her and when I sit in a boring meeting at work or riding in the car with people, my thoughts often drift to her. It's a weird mix of waifu type attachment and self-insert. It's totally fucked, I know, and that's why I don't share the bit about her connection my dead gf with people IRL.

Every time except for my second character ever, who was a bland human wizard who didn't care about anything but gaining arcane knowledge and wishes.

Quite recently I made a mistake in character - mostly because the GM and me had different ideas of how the world works.
I couldn't sleep afterwards. I was agonising about it more than about any of my real life mistakes. I felt worse than after my girlfriend of 4 years dumped me or when my father died. I felt just utterly defeated.

What was the mistake?

I need to know what it was now, user. Don't leave us hanging.

These stories are soothing my soul, guys. Keep on loserin' on out there.

I'm sorry about your rl gf

Lost my character of two years of playing, think what hurt the most was that the two friends i asked to help me refused when i had saved their lifes earlier. I got a new character now and still friends with those two. Just that i consider them lesser friends (or onesided friendship) who i cant count on in an emergency and i have to plan around that.

It sounds very silly (fadeleafno! Tier of silly) but i wont ever risk getting hurt by them again by opening up and trusting them.

I regularly get overly attached to my characters.
I feel like it lets me get into character better if I get into thwir headspace..and it does, but it also make me take bad things a little personally.
I know its just a game, but when I lose a character I have to mourn them in real life.

Goddamn, why didn't they help?

It was more than a decade ago now, so I'm pretty well over it. I unironically get triggered when I watch a movie or read a story about a boy and girl that are childhood friends like that. I remember feeling like a depressed zombie for months after I read Bridge to Terabithia.

I made a joke character for a friend's game in college. His damage was broken powerful but he was made of paper and couldn't spot check his way out of a paper bag. I expected him to die, and he did, but the other players thought he was really cool. I figured oh well too bad, time to make a new character. The other players found a magic knife that could be used to trade souls, so they stabbed my new character (who they thought was a douche) to bring back my old one. Seven sessions later I died again, but we had resurrection options then so they all pitched in to by the materials and brought him back. This continued.
Three IRL years later, my character had died countless times, and either I, the other players, or an NPC would find a way to get him back. They all said he was almost a "main character" since he was the only one left from session one. So yeah, in a way, we did get a bit too attached to a character. I was kinda sorry to put down his sheet at the end of it, but it's what he would have done. The old bastard lived longer than any human should have due to his aging having been halted several times. In the end, the other characters took the power from an evil god who we defeated and became minor deities to guard the mortal realm forever, but my character put down his sword, and retired to a cabin in the woods to raise three children who he had promised to look after.
After it was all over, I felt emotionally exhausted, and I figured my character would too.

I played a character in Vampire the masquerade that was a deranged malkavian hobo with a fear of birds that had long ago forgotten his own family despite living in his own home surrounded by barrels of the stuff they use to kill off large numbers of chickens.

Eventually he got a full character arc involving fighting off a large group of vampire hunters from an Illuminati like organization. I had a really good group we were supposed to play another campaign with the same characters but we lost the DM and I never got a chance to explore his character farther. Now I just kind of look for ways to insert my poorly named malkavian into any campaign I can.

Shrinks use roleplaying to help anons tell the truth. Truth hurts. Burying truth is worse. Own it.

They considered other actions more important (one of them even gave an order not to help me and focus on something else) had they saved me i would have done that action on my round instead of him.

Guess they didnt wanna risk it failing even though i risked it all to save them in an earlier session (henche why i realized both our ingame friendship and outside was very onesided) maybe i suffer from martyr complex and play all my character like that and expect people to risk their lives for friends when some might be more pragmatic.

A TLDR would be that i was an acceptable loss when i myself can never consider such things.

If your characters are good aligned, I give major bonuses to saving each other. Power of friendship stuff is cheesy as can be, but I've never seen people look happier and more relieved than when a party member drops what they're doing to save them from dying. Incentivizing that helps the whole table become better friends IMO. It really hurts people to get cast aside like that, even when it's just a character they're playing.

That's weird. In all groups I ever played with, saving another player has been priority #1, almost like it was an unspoken rule. Like, you'd be supposed to do it even if you hate the dude's guts both in-game and off-game.

Never had a game with literal PC enemies, though.

This as well, everyones always been cool with putting other shit on hold if a party member needed to be saved.

Even if I was trying to play as an evil character I think I’d have a hard time letting someone else go down