Run irl DnD/murder hobo game

>run irl DnD/murder hobo game
>realistically have to end every game with a police shootout/hiding in the woods

Anyone had any success running a DnD game set in the modern world?

Other urls found in this thread:

costik.com/Violence RPG1.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>DnD
>modern world
Wtf are you doing?

There's a really easy way to fix your problem and you'd know it if you actually played

Yeah, switch systems

>Anyone had any success running a DnD game set in the modern world?
There are anons over this board who love to mod d&d to adapt it for different genres. To me it's a waste of time (there are lots of rulesystems that do modern out of the box really well) but if you really want to it with d&d i suggest you to work on it: give a look to other d20 games like Spycraft, Modern, StarWars d20 and so on and try to import some mechanics, reduce the game at is bare minimum (less shit to work on) by modelling the rules as very adventure-specific.

>run irl DnD/murder hobo game
>realistically have to end every game with a police shootout/hiding in the woods
Well, if you want to do a murderhobo campaign there are conseguences. Are you implying that in a normal fantasy campaign your murderhobo characters don't get their ass kicked for acting like psychotic retards? If not, well, with this modern game you learned a lesson about internal concistency.

>Are you implying that in a normal fantasy campaign your murderhobo characters don't get their ass kicked for acting like psychotic retards

But they're the heroes. It was simpler times back then :^)

>But they're the heroes
Until they step on the wrong person's feet, then some 'not jonah hex' bounty hunter will be on their tracks and i'm not sure they will get any simpathy after their story of pillaging, looting and raping

In the modern world:

Walking into town armed gets you shot.
Not having a residence or insurance or ID gets you detainted.
Police handle all crime solving.
Grave robbing a no no.
Can't cross borders freely.
You cant just ask for work. And the ones that do accept are sketchy farmers and senial old people looking to finish a pation.

You could cruise around and find a hells angels and try to take them out, while dodging police...
Maybe scheme to take out a corrupt senator (lord) but you're good as dead.

>Walking into town armed gets you shot.
I thought in america at least you're allowed to carry guns? Plus in a lot of less stable countries you're probably better off carrying being able to defend yourself. Although in a lot of european countries gun laws are way stricter about this
>Not having a residence or insurance or ID gets you detainted
Which would only come up if you lost your ID and so on or look like a hobo. There's been enough con men which got away with a lot stuff, including being a pilot or doctor
>Police handle all crime solving.
Supposed to. Depending on where you are the police is either your cousin, corrupt or overworked, so why not take some vigilante justice
>Grave robbing a no no
Who cares? Modern dungeons are warehouses, freight ships or trains and so on
>Can't cross borders freely.
Again depends on where you are and how much attention you draw to yourself. You could pretty easily cross europe or USA without having to stop at one border, except maybe for gas
>You cant just ask for work. And the ones that do accept are sketchy farmers and senial old people looking to finish a pation.
I dunno where you live, but knowing people and asking them (and then writing an application) is a good way to get work. Especially if you live in the third world, although evenin industrialized countries it still works pretty well

There's enough options as to where to place your game, how to stretch the influence of governments thin and much more. There's enough movies, shows and comics to look for inspiration. I mean, what's Die Hard more than a christmas themed dungeon? What's True Detective more than tracking down a cultist villain? What's Black Lagoon more than a GM completely losing control and trying to keep things on track?

>Black Lagoon
This is the nearest equivalent to a modern-day D&D game in some ways. Also, patrician taste.
You're adventuring in the wrong lands. modern-day D&D would be like Uncharted, Tomb Raider (new ones) and Relic Hunter.

If you set it in Syria and RP'ed around geopolitics and "adventurers" being armed militant groups then I guess you could have a DnD style adventure, it would be hard to do so in a modern liberal democracy.

The only way to run a combat-focused system in the modern world without having your group turn into a bunch of raving psychopaths is to put it in the context of an actual modern-style conflict, e.g.

Drug trade
Terrorism/anti-terrorism
Human trafficking
Third world shithole civil war

Or, if you want something not so horrible, just do a spy campaign.

Read Violence: The Rpg. its not actually a functional game ( deliberately) but it's all about what you're talking about . I would actually say it's one of the smartest rpgs ever.

costik.com/Violence RPG1.pdf

>I thought in america at least you're allowed to carry guns?
Not him, but it's far more complicated than that and depends on a lot of stuff. I could spend 30 minutes of my life writing a summary of the wikipedia articles detailing our horrifying patchwork of local, state, and federal gun legislation, but I'll just instruct you to read about it yourself instead.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

None of this is true. Where you live, in a upper-middle-class gated community outside a major city?

Almost every single standard D&D plot can be easily imported as-is to the modern world, as long as you do so with the understanding that you're not going to be keeping things realistic, just "modern". Just running down the 5e list of published adventures, for example...

>Hoard of the Dragon Queen
The Cult of the Dragon acts exactly as described across various Third World shitholes, stealing tons of money all over the place and then moving it to a secure location. The heroes chase after them for various reasons. It all culminates in a fight in a giant's flying castle.

>Rise of Tiamat
Watch some 80s GI Joe Cartoons for once in your life. The Cult of the Dragon is literally Cobra Command.

>Princes of the Apocaylpse
The four Elemental Cults are four end-of-the-world survivalist nutters living innawoods somewhere in Middle America or the Deep South, where the Temple of Elemental Evil is located.

>Out of the Abyss
Can be run exactly as advertised beneath the Earth with zero changes except to include guns and explosives.

>Curse of Strahd
Fuckin' spooky Transylvania shit doesn't tie itself to any time period, and the Mists is fine for explaining why modern communication doesn't work.

>Storm King's Thunder
Earch of the Giants doing their Giant thing just become different company CEOs or something. Chief Guh is some fat fuck buying up all the fast food; Duke Zalto is heavily invested in the military-industrial complex, etc.

>Tales from the Yawning Portal
Literally Tomb Raider

>Tomb of Annihilation
Literally Uncharted

I mean, you could run it in Detroit or Chicago and it would work just about the same without all the politics.

What you can tell me about castles and crusaders? is it better than ACKs?

I want to know where you live where grave robbing is acceptable.

>detroit or chicago
Jesus user, he wants the players to have adventures, not get killed in the first thirty minutes. keep the game somewhere safe like Syria or a Nuclear reactor

Violence, from the last time I read it, seemed pretty functional. The writing is obviously satirical, but the mechanics are more fleshed one than the ones in some rules-light OSR systems - definitely more so than in something like OD&D, meaning that you can definitely play it and even make long-lasting campaigns with it while only barely expanding the rules.

Obviously there's stuff like the experience system needing you to pay for stamps with real money, but it also gives you guideliens on when and how to award experience right after, so it's pretty obvious what you're supposed to ignore in the case someone wants to play the thing as an actual game.

>those gets
Fucking witnessed.