Can you have a peaceful tribe if all the neighbors are warlike assholes?

Can you have a peaceful tribe if all the neighbors are warlike assholes?

Other urls found in this thread:

technology.org/2014/05/30/good-fences-make-good-neighbors-study-shows/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good fences make good neighbors.

That poem was being sarcastic. The point was that being suspicious and defensive will naturally lead to conflict.

Usually the only people claiming that pacifists should absolutely be un-armed are the people who want to murder pacifists, so yes.

Yeah, have them as the "Neutral ground" for when the Tribes want to talk, possibly because the land is sacred or some shit.

Well, as someone who grew up in cattle country, I can say with certainty that good fences make good neighbors, because if you don't keep up your fences and a bull gets into your neighbor's field and impregnates a bunch of cows that he had other plans for, your neighbor won't treat you very well from that point on.

Also, now that I live with neighbors just a few feet away, it's much nicer to have fences between our properties to keep them from encroaching onto my property, so it's not just about cows as Frost said.

Through clever trade and diplomacy but it would be tenuous without any kind of standing army or defensive pact with someone who did have an army

Yes just not for very long

Correct. The Swiss are peaceful and every adult male has an assault rifle in his house and trained to use it.

Maybe anytime any of the surrounding tribes move in to attack them one of the others uses that as a chance to attack the aggressor while their army's split.

They're the only ones who know how to work bronze/iron/[insert advanced metal here] and although they trade what they make, they keep it a very carefully guarded secret. If you're one of the warlike tribes, you don't piss them off, because they will always have more of this metal than you, and because if you do, the rest of the tribes will dogpile you, either because your supply of metal is cut off or because you're trying to do the same to the rest of them.

Mountains everywhere, literal dorf tunnels.
Hundreds of years as a mercenary army.
Fought on every side, including against themselves.
So good the Pope bans their favoured weapon
Known for fighting to the end -See the swiss guards actions in the french revolution for an amazing and sad tale.
Holds onto the treasures of countless nations as its safer for them.
National pastime is shooting over valleys at long distance.

Make your pacificts well armed, professional and able to kick any agressors back to their shitty plains and forests.

The best way to have a peaceful tribe is overwhelming force.

>The Swiss are peaceful

They live next to the French, that would even make Patton look like a hippie peacemonger.

Switzerland

Did you even try?

Yes. But not for long - if at least one and preferably the strongest of these warlike assholes is on your side.

The Swiss army sucks balls mate.
We had an incident where a plane illegaly flew into our airspace and no jet were able to be scrambled as it was after the regulary work hours (9 oclock).
Alsso you are just putting facts and concequences together with no relation to each other.
Are peaceful now, not in the past

I think I have this. Sorta. They have an exalted order of magical warrior guardians that are so powerful that literally no force of men even considers the possibility of forced entrance to the country. They don't do any raiding or conquest, they only strictly define the borders of a massive idyllic meadow country.

Sure you can. The peaceful tribe must specialize in things the other tribes all need, such as inter-tribal finance, medicine, and the production of armaments.

Pacifism is like a spear. It's useless unless it has a point.

Sure. The peaceful tribe just has to make it not worth the trouble of fucking with them.

In a setting with magic, this is super easy. You try raising an army to go invade the mountain people when it is a known fact that entering their lands with ill-intent makes you a target for the witch-woman's curses.

You want your dick to rip itself off you, turn into a venomous snake, and bite you? No? Then leave the people of the mountain the fuck alone.

>That poem was being sarcastic.
But the study named after the poem is not.

technology.org/2014/05/30/good-fences-make-good-neighbors-study-shows/

The reason why Switzerland stood for a thousand years but Belgium is already on the verge of collapse after 200 may be down to pure geography.

Yes, your men can die harmlessly and women become servants and concubines peacefully.

You know this is only a downside for the men, right? The men lose everything even if their lives are spared by a very generous enemy. Meanwhile the women are guaranteed to live in relative prosperity with strong men capable of defending themselves. This is why we historically observe that women are not only far less willing than men to defend their communities, but far more likely to sleep with whoever they perceive to be the winners at the moment. Look at all the European women willingly sleeping with Nazi's, or how many Japanese women ended up getting impregnated by US Marines. Neither of those took any concubines by the way, so the "best case" scenario for the losers still follows that trend.

>The reason why Switzerland stood for a thousand years

Switzerland as we know it was created after Napoleon had conquered it and told them that they're a nation now. Its neutrality was decided on during the Congress at Vienna. That's all 19th century shit.

And even after that, they still had a couple of civil wars before they actually settled into something resembling the Swiss we know after 1840.

Except you're wrong. Switzerland as we know it now was created with the Rütlischwur and it declared its neutrality in 1515 after the smashing defeat at Marignano. Switzerland became a federation under Napoleon and then again in 1848, having been a confederation earlier. This is the reverse trend of Belgium which started as a unitary state, then became a federation and is already showing signs of confederalizing.

Define peaceful.

Is it like I won't attack you if you don't attack me peaceful, or full on ghandi you can walk right up and shoot me in the face peaceful

>or full on ghandi you can walk right up and shoot me in the face peaceful
Except Ghandi wasn't stupid. He played the media because he knew his people didn't have the weapons to fight the British on equal footing.

peaceful dose not meant week. Pax romana nigga, there will be peace or i will come down there and punch you in the face intill we get peace back

>you can walk right up and shoot me in the face
>but I don't know what my nukes will do once I'm gone

Yes. Have there be a "Levite" tribe with a claim toward more religious legitimacy, who arbitrates on spiritual matters, runs the festivals/rituals, etc. Even the most powerful tribal leaders that begin to stray from the accepted dogmas will lose legitimacy in the eyes of the religious populace.

And what exactly is your point you cuck? Are you not a man?

if they have a great faith in a peaceful religion, I don’t see why not; but like other anons have said peaceful does not mean they won’t defend themselves

>Can you have a peaceful tribe if all the neighbors are warlike assholes?

Not even the Buddhists could manage that.

You can have a (((peaceful tribe))), yes

Have geographic barriers, like mountains or a body of water, and/or have their land be strategically unimportant and resource poor

>Except you're wrong. Switzerland as we know it now was created with the Rütlischwur and it declared its neutrality in 1515 after the smashing defeat at Marignano.

They became so unified that Uri, Schwyz, Zürich, Basel and Schaffhausen refused to accept the peace treaty and threw their lot in with the Habsburgs in an attempt to reverse the battle's fortune. Supporting one of the major royal dynasties in their foreign adventure is GOOD practice for any neutral country, as we know, and half the country sending its soldiers to fight in foreign military adventures is normal for post-Napoleonic Switzerland too.

They even NEUTRAL'D HARDER afterwards and signed a treaty with the French crown that guaranteed it swiss military support forever according to treaty texts. Zürich, of course, would not sign. Clearly you can't get any more neutral and unified and like your post-Napoleonic self than by entering an eternal military treaty with a major European power with 90% of your union while the remaining 10% just flat our refuse to honour the treaty in any way, shape or form.

Heck, you aren't even correct geographically because additional regions joined Switzerland post 1830.

Someone's gotta sell the weapons to keep the warring tribes going...