Pic related is worth $20 now

>pic related is worth $20 now

Are Merfolk going to be top-tier in standard now or is it all EDH demand?

Largely speculation on power in Standard and Modern, IMO.

EDH seems like a bit of a stretch- he's a king of value, but not particularly powerful.

I have a feeling wizards is trying to make tiny leaders a format just like commander
He’s pretty powerful for tiny
Tiny should be 60 cards 50 is fucking retarded

Is tiny leaders still a thing? I thought it died once it became Geist of St Traft + Swords of X and Y: the format.

As someone who run Fish in Legacy and Modern, it's all EDH demand. First ability is pretty mediocre, you sacrifice being able to attack with one creature to guarantee hitting for 2 minimum. The other abilities are skip your combat phase to draw a card or buff your dudes, yes you will do it on your opponent's end phase and use fish you just summoned, but none of them will have vigilance and it's unlikely you will ever drop 3 fish in one turn, so it's a pretty awful trade off.
It's dead. There were a few commanders that were just flat out better than any other options so the format died due to lack of variability.

Pretty bad even for standard, so probably all EDH

Expecting it to drop in price within a week of the set actually releasing

Speculation.
It'll drop like a rock.

BAN MERFOLK

BAN THEM

THEY ARE TOO OPPRESSIVE IN STANDARD!!!!!

I thought the card was bad too, until I played and let me tell you it is insane in standard, 15$ is a justified price if merfolk will be a real deck in t2

U/G or Bant? I think he'd be a house with the +1/+1 enchantment that ascends to give vigilance.

I played it in a bant deck, but white was only for removal. (ixalan's binding and skywhaler's shot)
Aaaannd now it's gone since I was playing attune and aether hubs for the splash.
Now straight UG is the only possible combination I guess

Huh. Guess I'll try running 2 if they drop a little bit in price

So I tried updating my list but I still have 5 free slots, what should I put? Is mistcloaked herald good enough? Also the manabase looks sketchy with all these basics

// 55 Maindeck
// 30 Creature
4 Kumena's Speaker
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
4 Merfolk Mistbinder
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Jadelight Ranger
3 Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca
4 Deeproot Elite
3 Herald of Secret Streams

// 4 Instant
4 Blossoming Defense

// 21 Land
4 Botanical Sanctum
7 Forest
6 Island
4 Unclaimed Territory

run 3 jadelight, 2 kumena, delete herald of secret streams

add admiral's orders to have an out against settle the wreckage and consider a couple kopalas for targeted removal

I'm also running nissa steward of elements in mine to act as a pseudo-vial but idk

kopala a shit
why would i run a legendary 2/2 which is basically vanilla? 4 blossoming defense get the job done on their own
also herald of secret streams is amazing with deeproot elite, kumena last ability and explore in general, you generally win on the spot after casting him
maybe shaper's sanctuary?

I feel like herald works better in a dedicated deck, but maybe you're right. A different option would be tempest caller for tapping a whole board, that way you wouldn't need counters on your creatures

I'll consider cutting out kopala in mine. I guess I just like the card

do you have anything in mind for the sideboard?

>Spending $20 on a piece of paper

People often throw around the term "solved" when talking about formats that aren't.
Tiny Leaders is the only situation where "solved" is 101% accurate. There are like 2-3 decks, if that, that are even viable.

>spending $60 on a box of dried plant material, with free cancer

that still isn't solved
but I take your point.

>Merfolk top tier
Probably not, no.

There's definitely some commander demand (I wanted to build one until I saw 2 other dudes at my LGS were gonna build one as well) but I certainly wouldn't pay $20 for him.

>opened one of these at pre-release
>thought it was a decent mythic but nothing too valuable
>its 20 buckaroos
oh boy

>trading a piece of paper to buy another piece of paper

There's no way Kumena sees play in Modern or Legacy. What he is is the king of getting through board stalls, he does that like a champ. Unfortunately, so does an Islandwalk lord. Any hype that he's gonna be good there is overblown massively, MAYBE as a one of, but even then I'm not a fan.

Standard, though, after these bannings, maybe merfolk becomes good. He looks like he'd have a place in a deck there.

>Unfortunately, so does an Islandwalk lord
That's nooooooot completely true. A lot of games where you run into a board stall, you're fighting nonblue value decks. The junds and toolbox and token decks of the format. Notably, these are decks with access to enchantment destruction, and you only have 4 spreading seas.

Kumena brings card draw, evasion, and a gavony township. He's the board stall king.

It's just EDH hype, another "Paradox Engine or bust" dude

>What is Spreading Seas?
I still I MonoU fish in modern. This dude is shit.

WoTC said this was a good merfolk for legacy, yeah...