Sea levels rose by a kilometer because several comets struck the north pole

>sea levels rose by a kilometer because several comets struck the north pole

Other urls found in this thread:

flood.firetree.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I dont... I'm not sure that'd work

hard to say, might depend on the composition of the comets and the specifics of the impact zones? i dunno.

Consider this: if all the ice in the world melted into the seas, the oceans would only rise about 65 meters. To get kilometers of sea level rise, you would need the entire Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets worth of comets, several times over.

That's going to cause more issues than just flooding.

Anybody have the Earth map for the 65 meter sea level rise?

Duh, thanks.

Have another, just since you asked. Interactive too.

flood.firetree.net

If that many comets hit the north pole, we'd just all be dead, user.

Earthquakes and tsunamis would throw every city in the world to the ground, and there would likely be a cloud of dust that would block out the sun for a long time.

You're talking about comets with enough volume to displace 10s of millions of square kilometers of water. Shit, it would probably just blast the world to fucking pieces at that point. These comets you're proposing have to be COMICALLY large. Like, unironically a small moon.

good thing I got a boat
>yarr harr fiddely dee

>that map
>florida
>n'orlens
>brazil and paraguay
>netherlands
>denmark & half of norway
>chunks of russia
>iran
>east china
>2/3 of australia
nothing of value was lost

>>chunks of russia
Biggest loss is St. Petersburg, most of Russia still fine. Siberia improved, even, has new sea.

>netherlands
those fuckers would probably build a levie or some retarded thing

Sankt Peterburg is a shithole so no one will mourn it's loss, the biggest problem with 65m sea rise seems to be that Denmark still exists.

Can some scifag explain to me why exactly would melting the icecaps rise the sea levels? Aren't the icebergs submerged in the ocean already, thus rising the ocean level for the same amount already due to Archimedes Law or something? Hell, shouldn't they actually rise the ocean level higher in solid form than in liquid one because ice has bigger volume than the water its made off(the bursting bottle thing)? I'm a total brainlet when it comes to physics, but this has been bothering me for some time.

The Arctic may be floating ice, but the Antarctic is an actual continent covered in the stuff kilometers thick

There are glaciers, which are on land.

>great lakes are pretty much the same
>Africa almost unchanged
>SE Asia, parts of Chinkland and parts of the Breakaway Stans underwater
kek.

Most of Greenland's and Antarctica's glaciers are on dry land, add in the fact that water expands when heated (usually global temperature raising is given as a reason why ice caps disappeared) and so you get higher sea levels than nowadays.

Same reason the sea levels lowered during the Last Glacial Maximum. You have massive amounts of water concentrated over certain regions of the planet, trapped up at the poles. The largest amounts are not at sea, but actually on land masses: Greenland and Antarctica. I'm talking about large chunks of ice up to 3 kilometers thick in certain places of Greenland and over 4 kilometers thick in certain places of Antarctica. Further note that Antarctica itself is larger than the continental United States.

>be in nevada
>get a beach side property

>hard to say
No. It's not hard. The North Pool melting wouldn't affect the sea levels at all.

Comets have ice.

>swedes

every time

You don't have to a Swede to hate Denmark, user.

>doesn't show the area I live in..

By the times comet large enough to have that kind of effect hits the planet, the sea levels will be the least of our worries.

What if it's not a single fuckass comet, but many small ones? Like Earth coming through a trail of ice comet debris?

Depends on how long the comet shower lasts, if it is long and drawn out Earth might come out fairly fine (I.e. only most of multicellular life dies), if it is short the heat from that many objects entering the atmosphere will bake the surface clean of multicellular life.

At last, everywhere is an Ethno-state.

>+60m
>Berlin underwater
>Brussels underwater
>Baghdad underwater
>Florida underwater
what was so bad about global warming again?

Drought as rain fails to reach land.

How did you make this map OP?

The 60 map implies that melting ice caps will raise sea levels in the Caspian and Aral Seas. How is that?

more water. duh

The Caspian and Aral Seas are not linked to the ocean

more water in ocean
more water evaporates over the ocean
more water rains down upriver from the aralsk
more water is in those lakes

simple physiks.

Actually on a more serious note:
>The Caspian and Aral Seas are not linked to the ocean
YET. But they will be, when the ocean level rises.

>nothing of value was lost
but user, my house was lost =(

>Siberia improved, even, has new sea.
Since we can assume any "all ice melts" scenario means significantly higher global temp, siberia would actually probably be in really good shape.

>Can some scifag explain to me why exactly would melting the icecaps rise the sea levels?
It's a two parter. You're not wrong on principle, IF the ice was all in the water and there weren't any other factors in play. But:
(a) most of the ice caps are above sea level, on "dry" land. The volume of water in them is very large.
(b) any scenario where they melt also means the earth is getting warmer, which means the water is getting warmer (all of it). The average thermal expansion rate of water is 0.0002 per degree C. (About two hundredths of a percent). So if the average global temps come up, say, 3 C, you're talking about water volumes increasing by +0.06 %. Which doesn't seem like much, until you start to look at the volumes of water you're talking about.

>Like, unironically a small moon.
Eh, maybe not. They could just be going reeeeaally fast and be quite small. Might not even be a comet. Could be a micro black hole. Or a missed shot from a mass accelerator weapon fired by an extra-galactic species a hundred million years ago. Try not to get hung up on the specifics.

Siberia would be mosquito Hell all year round rather than just summer.

At least until the trees start really growing, then it will abate a little.

Yeah, they'd probably also become the breadbasket of asia, and possibly the dominant power in the entire hemisphere within a few generations. At that point you're looking at a nexus of natural resources on par with what the US had a few generations ago. Seems like a reasonable trade.

>less fresh water available in the world
>most of the world's population displaced, billions of refugees
>most of the world's nuclear power plants are in coastal areas
>climate completely fucked up

>My neighborhood's left on a 1x1km island on its own
Time to start warlording, boys.

>sea levels lower by a kilometer because several comets struck the south pole

I hope it's a joke

>any scenario where they melt also means the earth is getting warmer, which means the water is getting warmer
and thus more of it is evaporating, precipitating over land, and being captured in our greatly depleted water tables.

This is the plot of the Waterworld prequel comic
Yes there was a Waterworld prequel comic. It is somehow worse than that sounds

The dolphins move in.

>The economy is ruined as all major economic centers in coastal cities are destroyed and the millions of people living there must evacuate to the continental interiors. Social strife and then war follows as people fight for remaining resources.
>The ocean ecosystem is utterly ruined since the oceanic life can't evolve rapidly enough to keep pace with the heating waters. All commercial fishing comes to an immediate end.
>Climate patterns drastically shifted hamstringing our ability to grow crops, mass famines ensue.

>It is somehow worse than that sounds

>This is the plot of the Waterworld prequel comic
Thanks for reminding me

I never looked it up the first time.

The biggest problem with the melting of the North Pole would be the change in the Gulf current, wich would start a new ice age.

Was this made by Wilbur by any chance?

Everything you said was wrong.

North pole sits on water already. Melting it won't raise the water volume, since it's already displacing water.

Melting the south pole will though, because that sits on land. Same thing with Greenland to a lesser extent.

There's also not enough ice to raise the ocean a full kilometer. Best estimates is about 300 meters at most.

And in any case, a major comet/astroid impact would likely cause a prolonged global winter anyway, re-freezing the water quite rapidly. It might not freeze in the same locations, but you could very well see a net LOWERING in sea levels over the next century or two, not raising them.

ice floats senpai, its not displacing shit

>Russia becomes North China because billions of starving people moving north.
>Russia would rather not be North China.
>Nukes.exe
>MoreNukes.exe
>Russia still flooded by remaining survivors anyway.
>Siberia even more of a hellhole than it is now.

The worst timeline.

He doesn't know that 90% of an iceberg is under the water. Impressive.

>being this retarded

nigga ice floats but it displaces water because ice has volume and mass, and doesn't just sit on top of the water

Ladies and gentlemen, the American education system. Next time you go for a McBurger, observe the ice floating in your 98 ounce BigGulp and try to force some knowledge through those grease-coated neurons.

If the north pole water melts, it will change the salt density in the ocean, which would have drastic impact in the marine currents. For example, it would make the Gulf current to sink sooner, so it won´t warm Europe, making it much colder (notice that Madrid is roughly in the same altitude than New York, or Germany and Canada). A colder Europe means more snow and less melting in summer, wich would have an accumulative effect, in which more snow makes the land colder, and thus less new year snow melting, which again make the snow amount bigger. Give it time, and you have a new ice age, with Eurasia and North America in great chunks under ice, and a cold and dry atmosphere, with more and bigger deserts in the warm areas.

im french

Yes, yes, of course you are. Don't lose hope though, keep on surrendering like that, and you may yet qualify!

>flood.firetree.net
>some of the biggest shitholes in America would be underwater
I think if this actually happened I would die of pure schadenfreude.

he doesn't think he'll be one of the people that dies

i think the point of specifying comets was that they're largely made of ice themselves and would add to the amount of water on earth. Its how we got so much water here in the first place.

Comets that large would obliterate the earth, either by devastating the crust in one big hammerblow, or raising the atmosphere's temperature absurdly high if "somehow" a shitload of tiny ones conga-lined their way into the atmosphere. Somehow.

The rock that killed the dinosaurs was only about 10 kilometers across. That wouldn't even fill a large lake, let alone raise all the oceans. Oceans are big, dude. They took a LOT of comets to build the first time.

That's exactly what makes it displace water. If it floated completely on top it would have zero displacement dumbass. If it was completely underwater it would displace 100% of its volume in water, and would have a negligible effect on water levels as it melts.

If say 90% of the volume of an iceberg is underwater, then the whole iceberg melting would only add the top 10% of its volume to the water, and have a small effect on water level.

>and thus more of it is evaporating, precipitating over land, and being captured in our greatly depleted water tables.
I mean, sure, there would be a much more active global water cycle on a warmer earth. And presumably much more violent weather to match. That wouldn't have much effect on sea level rise, though. You might get some areas that are desert today soaking up a volume of water semi-permanently, but that's not most places. Even if it was, the subsurface water storage capacity globally is completely insignificant compared to the volume of the oceans.

For comparison, the huge Ogallala aqifer that underlies much of the US great plains (and could use the recharge), is thought to contain something on the order of 3 billion acre-feet (a survey acre x 1 ft depth, for non-US engineers, about 1230 m^3) of water, and had room for another 500 million or so before humans started draining it. The area of the oceans at present is about 88,958 billion acres. So recharging the Ogallala would offset the first 0.0006% of the first foot of sea level rise. Worth pointing out that the low inf rates in this case do mean this process would take a couple thousand years.

But if we're talking about something like the OP, with sea levels rising many feet very quickly, then the groundwater cap isn't even worth mentioning.

No, it was global warming.

Whoops, meant to post the map

>Ladies and gentlemen, the American education system.
I actually don't think he's one of ours (for once). That whole "90% of iceberg is underwater" is a fairly common variation of the "don't judge an X by its Y" maxim here, bordering on being folk knowledge. Pretty sure I could find someone hereabouts who can't spell his own name, but still knows that little factoid about icebergs. I'd actually guess a non-english speaker, for that reason.

>im french
oh, hey... look at that

>then the whole iceberg melting would only add the top 10% of its volume to the water, and have a small effect on water level.
It would actually be offset even further since water increases in density across the solid-liquid phase transition, and continues to increase with temp until about 4 C / 37 F.

>The North Pool
Sounds a bit cold, I'll stick with the Public Pool, thank you very much.

> almost all of Australia's major population centers are untouched

>Children of Leviathan
Where have you been all my life?

>Water world setting
Lame. Give me an ice age setting Veeky Forums. Doggerland, Beringia, and glaciers fucking everything up. Humans and their civilizations evolved 50-100k years ahead of schedule.

Downloading now

Will re-up when it's finished

Its pulpy, but fun if you're into that.

dank

Yes. That is correct citizen. A comic struck the pole, causing sea levels to rise. And knocked the earth off-axis. That is all.

The Caspian exists at or near sea level near a flat steppe. Once the black sea rises enough it'll go into the Caspian and the Caspian will go into the Aral.

water's one of those weird things that expands when cooled actually

I should say, also expands when cooled eg frozen

>That tiny bit of land left on america's east coast.
We Appalachian isles now! Fetch me some moonshine, my rifle, and learn how to make wooden ships again.

A thing to consider with massive degrees of sea-level rise: Hurricanes and Typhoons WILL end up stronger, larger, more dangerous, and longer-lasting. There's more warm water in the ocean, more water over the surface period, and less land to start breaking those Hurricanes and Typhoons up. You'll get storms that make Typhoon Tip look like a little baby tropical storm, and they'll be hitting more areas than usual.

I'm talking shit that will end up hitting goddamn Kansas. That's right Dorothy, you won't be spared, and neither will your little dog, too.

>be me
>live in Vladivostok, port city
>see that even at 60m rise, pretty much half the city is still above the water
>see that my shitty apartment block will be right on the waterfront, on a little peninsula with surviving highway access
>see that neighboring towns have all drowned
>but my dacha is still fine and still has a road connection
Das good shit. Hope the winter will get fucked, and the twats in charge will manage to make highways into bridges if it comes to that.

>virgin cyclone
>chad supertyphoon

>add more ice to north pole
>ice melts

Man.

We have thoroughly and fully doomed ourselves to a seriously ugly end, huh?