Apply for a game on roll20 that seems to have a really good DM advertisement

>apply for a game on roll20 that seems to have a really good DM advertisement
>see some really good player applications
>the likes of a Warlock, who was once a Paladin that was brainwashed as an orphan child to do the church and state's bidding before breaking free of her vows after realizing her freedom is important, forced to become a Warlock and ironically serve a patron to defend herself now that she's wanted
>a Halfling Barbarian who grew up among humans and was always bullied as weak. Became tough and strong simply because he hated being pushed around and was soon kicking the shit in of tall humans. Became a gang leader and then accidentally killed an innocent bystander in a turf war. Realized how immature he was being, began adventuring to fix wrongs
>get excited, make my nobleman Fighter who was once a naive, arrogant, proud man. Was so overzealous he led a charge in to the enemy ranks despite advice from his closest friend it was dangerous. Led in to an ambush, has his entire squad slaughtered, has to be saved like an ass. Gives up being a soldier after realizing what a shit he was and is doing some mercenary work and traveling to grow up

>I get in
>but not the player applications I really thought were good
>instead, some fucking furry Tabaxi monk raised in the wilderness by other animals and now trying to get in to society
>a generic Rogue guy who was rich but became a thief for the shit and giggles
>a Cleric who worships something and bio is basically she wants to do good and save everyone

What a motivational killer. I mean, I'm still going to play and not be a flake. Any moments like this with you guys where potential good players and characters are dropped and you feel really bad because you wanted to play with them?

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/24305/search-for-the-golden-bowl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>not inviting those players to your own game
If you're fucking stupid there's no hope for you

>Be me
>Apply to a game with 3 players already
>No wizard
>Fuck yeah I get to be a wizard without stepping on anyone's toes, I never get the chance to do this!
>5th player joins
>5th player wants to be a wizard
>Change my character because I don't wana overlap and either be superfluous or make someone else's character superfluous
>5th player drops out of the game after the first plot arc
>Party now has no major casters or intelligence-based characters

I swear some variation of this has happened in the last 3 games I've joined, and like an idiot I'm the kind of player who will gladly change my role not to step on someone else's toes... I just wish those people wouldn't quit after I accommodate them.

Obligatory:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/24305/search-for-the-golden-bowl

So invest in a frigging backbone. If you got there first then the class is yours.Either deal with two of something or suggest the other player swap

stop being an accommodating cuck.

fuck off wyler. No sane GM is going to play with a group of strangers so entitled that they couldn't even find a GM between them. fucking millenials.

>be stannis
>agghhh...

AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

Put your fucking foot down for once you coward.

Your character isn't a backstory and people with extensive backstories are terrible role players, autists, who rule lawyer the fuck out of games.

Best backstory I ever saw, crawled out a shallow grave. People really don't like him.

Were you born with a foot up your ass?

>being this spineless

Never had this happen, but I always feel like my characters are the weakest at the table, at least back when I played with my old group.
>everyone consistently coming up with really fun, interesting characters for WoD, D&D, etc.
>my characters always feel a little half-baked compared to everyone else's characters
>only characters I ever felt really worthwhile were:
>a beta-as-fuck divorced man who wants to be a good father and takes his somewhat estranged 13 year old son up to the snow for a weekend in a slice of life WoD Fargo-inspired game
>a lovely tweed British man and his deeply in love wife as two halves of a small-time crime outfit in the french ward of a Caribbean city, working to control the stem of drugs into their territory they maintain a protection racket in because the community it heavily tourism-based. All take place in a crime WoD game.
>a 17 year old, tall, lanky ginger kid in a D&D game who lives at home with his overwhelmingly uninteresting and unexciting parents who want him to take over the shop as a blacksmith, but who joins the local mercenary company as a means of teen rebellion, and slowly becomes a capable leader and fighter as the campaign continues, growing from a stringbean into a larger, healthier, less stringy stringbean.

>"and maybe even be our friend"
Awww. Poor sad, silly bastards.

>Your character isn't a backstory
Too true

>people with extensive backstories are terrible role players
Eh. I mean, sometimes? I know the type you're talking about, and for my own part I'd agree with you - I'd much rather build a backstory at the table than come to session 1 with a 4 page essay drafted. But I've played with some guys that just really like to write and craft stories, and they are usually fine. They also tend to be the players that evolve in to GM's over time, and the world needs GM's.

I dunno, I'd give em a one shot or two, groom a dm out of one of them and then leave if they were nice.

Generally I feel the opposite, I often write 8-12+ pages of a backstory and it usually goes to waste. I want to give the GM as much as possible to work with but it's so far been fruitless.

Character backstories really don't matter. It's how you play them during the actual game that counts.

>>get excited, make my nobleman Fighter who was once a naive, arrogant, proud man. Was so overzealous he led a charge in to the enemy ranks despite advice from his closest friend it was dangerous. Led in to an ambush, has his entire squad slaughtered, has to be saved like an ass. Gives up being a soldier after realizing what a shit he was and is doing some mercenary work and traveling to grow up
I'm sorry to break this to you but your character is on the same level as the chars you ended up playing with. You are even unable to realize this.

autist

This, or run a straight adventure module and leave them a copy of a pdf or something to get their toes wet

>things I've extrapolated from my own narrow experience are guaranteed to hold true for everyone else too

>autist
How dare I enjoy writing stuff.