If the universe is infinite, why would wars exist in an era of FLT travel?

If the universe is infinite, why would wars exist in an era of FLT travel?

FTL*

How much faster than light are you going? If you're fighting over a certain planet, how far would you have to travel and for how long to find a planet that's similar enough to settle for?

Universe isn't infinite though

Space is infinite but the places you can actually reach are not.

Because when you got the advantage over some other faction, it's better to destroy them now than to leave them alone and risk they will eventually gain advantage over you and do vice versa.
Also you don't need to worry about ruining planet or five with man-made nuclear apocalypse, because there's always more planets.

depends on how much faster than light you're going
5x: still takes a year to travel between nearby star systems
500x: still takes 2 centuries to cross the galaxy
500,000x: still takes 5 years to reach the nearest full size galaxy

the universe is a vast place, but most of it is empty

Ideology. We almost had a nuclear war just because two countries were butthurt at each other for using different economic systems.

What if this is the only habitable region in the universe and the rest of the universe is made of huge collections of black holes or there are regions with an ongoing vacuum metastability event?

What kind of bread does BLT travel on?

With infinite probabilities, you will eventually find an exact duplicate of yourself who will fight over who's the real you.

>Space is infinite
We don't know.

>the places you can actually reach are not
Probably not.

becuase the other guys are niggers.
Also there is a third faction that is gay

The real question is would you fuck a female version of yourself from another universe?

if the person is another gender it's not really you, it's just a person with a similar backstory and family

What a pointless question.

>we don't know
maybe in your poor understanding, the increasing redshift of our universe would say otherwise

So far, it seem like it's flat which means infinite. This is super-weird given that the universe is expanding and not static.

there are an infinite number of numbers between 1 and 2. none of these numbers will ever be 3.

Wars are fought for other reasons than territory, you know? Even in post scarcity transhuman society you could fight wars for any reason from entertainment(if you have digital immortality and/or drone mass production) to religion or ideology

Yes, how is this a question

isn't the middle pic what universe is supposedly looking like?
I'd date her plenty first. She needs to be cherished.

>Not all resources are equally accessible.
>Resources are not all of equal value.
>Travel is not instantaneous.
>Groups with conflicting interests will always exist.
>Some groups will always be interested in making others do what they want.

>So far, it seem like it's flat which means infinite
Can it be that our universe is a giant wave?

Think of the universe as a spherical city. At the center you have factories, mines, farms, and the people there. It's a population dense area, where most people are middle to lower class. The elites are (relatively) few and live in the outer areas, away from the center. Now, while it's pretty easy to expand your territory when you're at the edge of civilization, the people at the center are pretty much stuck in place. If they want to leave, they're going to need to pass through someone's territory. Given that it's the most populous place, the center is the most likely to have a population explosion, due to exponential growth. Given that it's at the center, it's also the place with fewer space, relatively speaking. (If the center had a radius of 1000 light-years, and the Rich lived between 1000 and 1010 light-years away from the center, the Rich should have about as much space as the people in the center.) And you can't "expand" in any direction, because there's people there already, and in order to travel further you'd need to pay them.

Because mining resources in space is more expensive than mining them on planets with an atmosphere and water. Just look up how much fucking water it takes to mine shit.

And because conquering the locals and using their infrastructure is always cheaper than founding a colony from scratch. Just compare North America to South and Central America.

Indeed. It corresponds to the density of mass in the observable universe. This would give us triangle's angles add up to less than 180° when triangulating the farthest objects in the universe. But our observations indicates perfect triangles with a mere +-0.4% error.

Are you retarded?

Expansion doesn't mean that it's infinite

FTL travel may not be "infinite speed", but rather just somewhat above c. This means the worlds you can realistically reach are very much finite in number, no matter how large the universe is. Say you can manage 1000c, it's still two and a half millennium to haul your ass over to Andromeda.

Don't be a dingus.

Because internal volume of a space grows at a faster ratio than surface area; which is to say, resource use and population size (and communications logjams) can grow faster than new colonies can patch the problem.

tl;dr empire time is the logical result of wormhole networks.

Obviously because you have to fix the problems on your home planet first

>spacetime
FTL in a relativistic universe is inherently time travel, and time travel is a big deal worth fighting over.

What if the rest of the universe is in an Eternal Inflationary state with everything going FTL and we are an anomaly? What if inflation has never stopped nor has a beginning beyond the observable universe? There's no reason for it to ever stop.

Resources are hardly the only reason why wars happen.
Also, the effort of finding something yourself vs just taking what someone already went through the effort of finding.

I would absolutely not, and my alternate self would think the same.

Because fuck you and your stupid face. Space race war now!

That assumes that FTL is cheap and easy. Where do you get infinite energy?

What's at the edge of the universe?

The universe has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.

Universe has infinite space, not infinite matter or energy

Another universe where everyone's a cowboy?

What's at the edge of a spherical surface?

FTL is the transmission of information (and thus energy and thus mass) out of causality. In a realistic setting, it's probably used as a cloning machine more than a travel machine.

That means me and my time clones battle forever against all the other wannabe time emperors. The peasants crushed underfoot desperately shill their future-patreons to afford FTL drives and escape the war zone, but since traveling 2 meters and 1 second is cheaper than traveling 4-5 lightyears, most people with a jump drive prefer to join the wars...

Having a few billion light years of distance impose themselves between all the elementary particles in your body (which do not have their velocity change in any way due to this, they still aren't doing c locally, things don't move her,e it's space that changes) every second would make your existence rather impossible.

Finite mass/energy dispersed throughout infinite space would leave the place effectively empty, which obviously isn't the case. So it's all infinite. This doens't screw things up, because it's balanced by the "gravitational debt", meaning the total energy of the universe isn't infinite, but zero. So we can have as much shit as we like in it.

Is that even a question?

Because I don't want the universe. Just your half.

>What's at the edge of the universe?
It expand faster than light, so you cant reach the edge, because it will always move faster then you. If you somehow move EQUAL to lightspeed it would still not reach the edge because universe is moving at same speed as you.

Of couse at FTL things change

Because fuck those guys.

>If the universe is infinite, why would wars exist in an era of FLT travel?

BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS STUPID PEOPLE THAT WANT TO LIVE WITH PEOPLE THEY HATE

If you send trump, their voters, his familty, the guys he picked to help him, russian population to bir tawill (only land area at earth not claimed by a country) and they made a ultra isolationist country there, with a even huge wall where no one can leave and even their own unique internet (they cant browser normal internet), there would still be some trump haters that would think "I want to live there" and they will move to the country and then complain about trump, the country culture, what people do at their internet, their citizens.....

What is Fast Learning Thot travel? Is it based on drow mages making warp portals or something?

God no. I actually have standards.

We wouldn't even be genetically identical, there's no way we would have the same personality. Besides, by definition we're not the same person.
I'd never know she was 'me' unless a DNA test was taken, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't.

It's a universe where bikini armor is the norm and healsluts reign supreme

It was the best of timelines, it was the worst of timelines.

>What is Fast Learning Thot travel?

A means of transportation. Travelers and cargo are rapidly broken down into their component energy and encoded into images by a highly advanced learning and compression algorithm. The image, being encoded energy, is sent about as rapidly as a typical thot will send nudes (hence the name), allowing people and cargo to travel hundreds of light-years in an instant.

>Asking this on Veeky Forums
Because other people are having fun wrong, and they probably use Skub too!

Can you go at FTL forever? Most likely not. You need supporting infrastructure. You need manpower and resources. And eventually, you bump heads with someone.

What is the universe shaped like?

I'd rather nerd out over projects, code, and play wargames with them. Maybe do some private RPG'ing like in the good old days.

well usually when people say this they usually mean variable physics in other realities

Sauce?

A Ford Pinto balanced on a series of increasingly large bears. It's bears all the way down.

If female me is gay too then we'd both have an awful time if we did.

If in your fictional setting the universe is infinite, with infinite planets and resources and whathaveyou, then there are ALSO infinite people to compete with. Sharing infinite resources with a similar magnitude of infinite people leaves you with effectively finite or limited resources per person or group.

"People" in this context being used as a general term to refer to aliens and other humans.

This doesn't even consider the infinite number of people who need no reason to be aggressive.

I mean like... boredom? What else is there to do in the void of space?

Nor can we tell with anything resembling confidence that it isn't. We are so far short of being able to measure any real distance that no one can say one way or the other.

Because those bastards the next nebula over won't stop likening what I don't like.

>Having a few billion light years of distance impose themselves between all the elementary particles in your body.

Wait. Wouldnt extreme energies, like that of runaway dark energy, end up creating quarks everywhere?

The same reasons wars existed before when there was still plenty of land available: cost.

So just how fast are we talking?

Because isn't the closest star with a likely viable planet alpha centauri? That is 4.367 light years away. Even if you are going ten times the speed of light that trip will take you 146 days. How much supplies does your ship hold?

is right
>Space is infinite but the places you can actually reach are not.

Have said that once you reach a very fast FLT means the main reason for wars will likely go away. At that point you talking about a lot more then 10x light speed. Keep in mind that European powers fought over bits of land that were up to 80 days out of port in the 17 & 18 centuries, back when 80 days at sea was dangerous to your health.

If I had to guess were the tipping point speed wise was to cause FLT travel to end wars it would be at or some place north of 60x light speed. At that point the number of possible star that a ship can timely reach goes up so far... that it likely would not matter which species was what viable planet. Just pick another.

>Finite mass/energy dispersed throughout infinite space would leave the place effectively empty,
And your assumption that finite mass/energy is dispersed is stupid. You could easily have finite mass clumped together in an infinite almost empty space.

FTL = time travel.

bro that's basically your sister

Do not believe the lies of this manThe universe doesn't have an edge just like it doesn't have a center this guy is right.

>Local resources, don't want to have to travel
>Artificial sources of wealth, such as megastructures
>Mutual distrust
>ideological differences
>religion
>information
TL:DR: All the same reasons for war on earth.

Yes, are you crazy? Not only that, I would love her so much

I'll just leave this here.

If I put you in a sphere you gonna end pressing your face against some kind of surface. Not an edge, but a limit.

>What's at the edge of a spherical surface?
Wait, does that mean that if you reach the "edge" of the universe you loop back around? I think there was this astrophysicist (George Ellis I think?) who unironically believes the universe works like that. I'm not saying he's wrong, I know nothing about cosmology past space being a fucking scary place, but that's pretty difficult to wrap your head around (no pun intended). Though someone who thinks the earth is flat would also have a hard time wrapping his head around the idea that you can keep going in the same direction forever (assuming natural barriers and the ocean are easily traversable) and end up in the exact same place.

That's not how a finite spherical universe works. The universe exists on the surface of the sphere. If you walk far enough in one direction. you're going to end up back where you started. There is no "inside" of the sphere in this model.

How does this spherical model square with the fact the universe is speeding up?

>user gets home
>finds sister in bed, smiling mischievously
>her pillow is pic related

>attention whore.

Honestly, I'd hate the female version of myself for having a much easier life just for having a vagina.

>Resources are hardly the only reason why wars happen.

Name one war that wasn't over resources that couldn't have been solved or avoided by putting a universe between the belligerents.

inb4 you can't

That would be analogous to the surface area of the sphere increasing you stupid monkey.

It's not a sphere though, it's a 4-D hyper-sphere equivalent.
You can't escape a 4-D object through 3-D motion along it, the same way that you can't escape earth by walking around the sphere, you need to travel in the third dimension, relative to the non-euclidean plane.
As far as we've theorised, if you go in one direction at much faster than the speed of light you'd eventually come back around the other side, like you were in pac-man.

Shit aint infinite enough

>implying you would be hot