Within our lifetime...

>Within our lifetime, all the old grizzled veterans of WW2 who used to regail us with stories and a real wholesome rolemodels growing up will pass, the end of an era.

I'd like to devote this thread to grizzled veteran pics, grizzled veteran stories, grizzled veteran characters you made, whatever, lets hear em.

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/12/29/professor-who-tweeted-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-white-genocide-resigns-after-year-of-threats/
youtube.com/watch?v=lU6NlK3OQDc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone know the story of this soldier? It's a mystery I have yet to solve.

google get you anywheres?

We should all hate them for having so many children. They destroyed this country.

Most WW2 veterans are gone.
My VFW lost its last WW2 veteran last year.

There are still a few Korean war veterans but most are either in nursing home or recluses that never come to the VFW.

My granfather was a WW2 veteran. He killed about two dozen Russians :)

I have a friend of the family, a small, lanky and wonderfully friendly man. He collected old trucks, looks like a very gentlemanly turtle - and was a SS-trooper.

He told us about the time when they drove in the villages the "Ivan" raided, got a real 1000yd stare.

My grandfather actually died in the Treblinka. One night he got really drunk and fell off a guard tower.

Women and children don't count, user.

While touring through Northern Africa / The middle East my grandfather was one of the first vandals to inscribe my grandmother's name into one of the great pyramids.

>play a old as dirt veteran adventurer.
>same level as everyone else.

i know its for balance but I know there has to be a better way to represent it in game, like lower stats but more skills.

Imagine veterans in antiquity like in Rome and the Second Punic War

>For a brief period, the Romans were in complete disarray. Their best armies in the peninsula were destroyed, the few remnants severely demoralized, and the only remaining consul (Varro) completely discredited.
>As the story goes, Rome declared a national day of mourning as there was not a single person who was not either related to or acquainted with a person who had died

I once made a human warlock character who served in his nation's military. When you think about how horrifying war in D&D can be with magic. Trenches and tunnels made to avoid volleys of arrows, fireballs and firebolts. Zones of antimagic. Earth Tremors to swallow people whole. Levitation to rip soldiers from their mounts. Fuck dude, in the backstory the enemy army started killing squirrels and ravens because the warlocks/druid would use beast speak to find out their locations and then blast the area.

>my grandfather was one of the first ...
vandals had been doing that literally before christ was fucking born

Oh fuck, now I want to run a fantasy WWI game.

I hate people like whoever made the game you played in (jk I know there was no game) because they don't realise that there are very few mages in the world that could even cast third level spells, and even fewer you could persuade to fight in wars.
And this isn't one of those things where you can go "well in MY setting". Fuck that man, spells in DnD are so world changing it can't be any other way.

>We should all hate them for having so many children.
WRONG. We should hate their children for not having enough children. The problem isn't that there are a lot of old people right now, the problem is that there aren't enough young people to take care of those old people.

>Most WW2 veterans are gone.
And soon most people who lived through WW2. Makes me wonder how long it'll take before the holocaust stops being a hot button issue and starts being yet another historical event.

>Makes me wonder how long it'll take before the holocaust stops being a hot button issue

When everyone who personally remembers being told about it by people who lived through it are dead. So, some time before the end of the 21st century.

>Makes me wonder how long it'll take before the holocaust stops being a hot button issue and starts being yet another historical event.
As soon as white supremacy is dead and buried.
I remember in about 2004, playing Call of Duty in a LAN cafe and some vets stopped by and started chatting with all of us. They brought a captured nazi flag and told us they brought it home, from one of the cities they went into.
It was a really cool day and I'll never forget it because everyone stopped playing to chat with them. It's hard to think that was twelve years ago, and probably many of those guys are dead.

They told us about training, about how it actually felt to be in war. How frightening it was, and how they kept going because they knew the Germans were frightened too. They didn't like Call of Duty, because the game glorified war and tried to portray the ultimate villain in a more positive light.

And these were Canadians. These guys went and saw the horrors Germans inflicted on other people. We've got a few military families here. Them and their sons were stationed in post-war Germany and went to Korea. They knew precisely what war did to people. So while they thought it was interesting to tell their stories in video games, they thought that war games should be different.

I would imagine they'd like Red Orchestra 2 a little more, but they'd probably want to try and make for an experience which is more sad, gut churning, tragic, and terrifying. To really drive home what they went through.

They became anti-war after WW2. And I think they purposefully dropped into the cafe to teach us why war is bad.
Some /pol/-tard will probably come and reply with basic level metal gear philosophy, but he's a fucking idiot.

Oldie, but goodie. Auschwitz has more punch than Treblinka though

>As soon as white supremacy is dead and buried.
White supremacy has been dead and burried a long time though. SJW just turned it into a zombie by being so fucking retarded, white supremacy looks sane by comparison.

What the left doesn't realize is that just because you don't want to see your own people replaced doesn't mean you want to kill everyone else.

>twelve years ago
>it's 2018
Fourteen years, jesus fuck.
Wasn't there a march in America where people were shouting about the jews not replacing white people, heiling and where the actual KKK showed up to network with a bunch of ar-15 motherfuckers and people with black suns painted on construction helmets and makeshift shields?
Where there was a big riot and someone got killed by a car?
Fuck off.

How long ago was that, mate? A year ago? Post Trump? Post the American electorate throwing all establishment candidates in the trash because they were that sick of it? Post less than 20% of the Americans trusting mainstream news networks?

You're not proving me wrong, mate. People always go for the extremes once the center proves unable to properly govern. Shit like the whole "It's okay to be white" canard prove that sooner or later, the only options available will be white genocide or race war gas the kikes. In the short term calling everyone who disagrees with you a nazi shuts 'em up, but in the long term it only legitimizes actual nazi's.

Except you're wrong. No one has ever been advocating for genocide of white people, nor will there ever be a race war, nor will the jews ever get gassed again. We're not in the same situation Spain, Italy and Germany were in. We're in the end of a slow economic downturn, given to us by the 2008 financial crisis.
It's the alt-right who call everyone "the left" as an umbrella group of communists. They're a reactionary group, which is aligned with fascism. Along with all identarian groups.

I remember when I was like you. But there's no protection for white people, nor an advancement of the lower class white cause, in the alt-right. They keep a simplistic "tis the jews" narrative, but the vast majority of the richest are not Jewish.
Take a look around you. Think critically and you'll find that /pol/ is full of shit.

To add more to the gut punch we also saw the last WW1 vets pass in our lifetimes.
I used to keep my friend company when he worked the bar at our local VFW. One of the regulars was a pilot who flew in WW2 and Korea. Man could barely walk and still would come every Wednesday night. The Vietnam and Gulf War vets where kinda assholes and pricks, but the moment that man came in the door they changed on the spot. Every single one stood the fuck up, saluted the old man and greeted him personally. My late grandfather was a WW2 vet.

>No one has ever been advocating for genocide of white people
washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/12/29/professor-who-tweeted-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-white-genocide-resigns-after-year-of-threats/

>nor will there ever be a race war
Where do you think ethnic cleansings around the world come from? It always starts sooner or later with the fear of one group about being oppressed by another in one form or another. It's the end result of diversity reaching critical mass, where the advantage can swing in one way or another. Christian Serbs were afraid of Muslim Bosniaks, Hutus were afraid of Tutsis (or was it the other way around?), black Zimbabweans afraid of white Rhodesians et cetera. It's an inevitability.

>nor will the jews ever get gassed again
Never say never.

>We're not in the same situation Spain, Italy and Germany were in.
No two situations are exactly the same but tensions are running higher and the narrative of white guilt and white privilege is being pushed harder and harder. Hell, major news networks even predicted a "big, beautiful brown wall" keeping Trump out of the White House. America is more racially diverse than ever before and because of it more divided than ever before.

>It's the alt-right who call everyone "the left" as an umbrella group of communists.
You can flipt it around: it's the left calling everyone alt-right as an umbrella group for nazis. But that very statement of yours only proves the point: you cannot disagree with the mainstream (which is becoming more and more "progressive" as the overton window shifts that way) without being boogeyman group du jour.

>[The Alt-Right] keep a simplistic "tis the jews" narrative
Ever considered that I may not be Alt-Right? I just see the writing on the wall: diversity does not work and demographically America and Europe are getting more and more "diverse". We're frogs in a boiling pot of water. Nice strawman though.

My grandfather is Swiss and was trained using a chemical flamethrower. I didn’t know this, but Switzerland was thinking about joining Hitler Grandpa was all for it. He blames the Jews for making America degenerate and sex-obsessed

Most of the Swiss who thought of joining the Axis did it out of fear. Your grandfather was a very small minority. The goverment at the time never even considered joining the Axis, if the Allies failed to retake the continent they where considering appeasement, not surrender.

youtube.com/watch?v=lU6NlK3OQDc

>Wasn't there a march in America where people were shouting about the jews not replacing white people
No, there wasn't.

>No one has ever been advocating for genocide of white people
Tim Wise gives speeches on public campuses. Your argument is totally invalid. White identity is back and there's no way to stop it now. Hopefully we'll actually gas the kikes this time. Germans should've actually done it.

i think in pathfinder if you make an older character, you get a bonus to WIS and INT but loose STR and CON.

Both of my grandfathers fought in ww2. I never met one (he died when I was little in a different continent). The other one recounted a vast history to me that was amazing to hear. I often think of him and his difficult life and am quite thankful for my many comforts.

/pol/ needs to go and stay go

Don't forget ww1 veterans who all went away with the last ones holding on to the late 2000s and early 2010s.
Even up to the 90s there were still people who fought in conflicts from the late 19th century.

>tfw America doesn't give a shit about their veterans anymore

It's all oo-rah and jets flying over football fields until you consider the soldiers who didn't kill for oil.

My grandfather was an infantryman in Vietnam. He told me only a single story and it was enough that I will never ask him about it again. He told me that his squad was tasked to clear a Vietnamese village and were ambushed by the Vietcong. It got gruesome. He was the only survivor. The Vietnam vets have had a real rough time of it man, they deserve mad respect for what they had to deal with, both in the field and at home.

I don't think WW1 furnishes us with a lot of fun stories. It was mostly people sitting in trenches, fighting over nothing, dying by the million, and getting PTSD.

>The Vietnam vets have had a real rough time of it man, they deserve mad respect for what they had to deal with, both in the field and at home.

I can only laugh whenever some old hippie fart or his misbegotten seed tries to whine about the extensive list of benefits and societal luxuries given to them for being Veterans, because they don't get it. They don't get it. It's because of their treatment at home by the likes of them and their children that Veterans have all those benefits today.

STOP HAVING DIFFERENT FUN!

>Vandal
I had to do a double-take because I thought you were talking about the Germanic tribe for a second.

If you are trying to say that vets get some kind of cushy gig I hate to inform you that being allowed to rot alive in a VA hospital is not a fair trade for having your life ruined in a rice paddy outside of Da Nang. Oh and homelessness amoung veterans is way above population average.

My grandfather was a combat medic in WWII. He always told me that the worst part of his job wasn't charging into dangerous positions to get wounded to safety, to him that was the easy part. The helplessness of watching his brother's in arms die was what he dreaded. He personally heard the last words of 12 men, the only one to hear them, stories of the families they loved back home that he knew they would never see again. when he was on his death bed he talked about how one of his biggest regrets was not being able to find all of their families knowing that his comrades last words would die with him.

My grandfather was drafted along with all 4 of his brothers and he was the only one to come back alive. One of their sacrifices really sticks with me, he was part of a mortar squad and they were about to be overrun so he stayed behind to cover the retreat.

Not him but you just said never say never when talking about gassing Jews, then complained people call you a nazi

>Saving Private Ryan: The Post

No left-wing person has the right to speak with moral authority to anybody. Faggot-enablers, people who pump children full of hormones and pedo-apologists all get the rope. You're fossils. Go to Jerusalem if you want to keep hugboxing about Germans from 70 years ago. I'm sure you have the Right of Return.

If not, maybe you should stop desperately fighting for people who only see you as cannon fodder to expand their colonies on the West Bank. Go and murder some more of your own children, like a good little leftist, but do it nice and quietly. You've had forever to speak and you've said nothing. Silence is your lot.

And you wonder why people call you a nazi.
Shut the fuck up. None of you have the gall to actually throw a fucking rock.

Tribalism, which is basically the alternative to political nationality, is equally terrible, dude. There's a reason "tribal" is not usually used as a positive descriptor. You gotta understand we're working with limited options here.

>And soon most people who lived through WW2. Makes me wonder how long it'll take before the holocaust stops being a hot button issue and starts being yet another historical event.

Funnily enough Eisenhower predicted that the Holocaust and the concentration camps would become a issue postwar, that's why he and his general staff toured the sites found so he would have high ground over the denial people by actually seen the camps. There is even a story that Patton who was with Eisenhower threw up during the first visits.

Oh shit I never thought about that. Yeah I guess so.

>I'm part of the 1%, everything I do is correct and no one can criticize me ever! If they do they are literally Satan!

What hypocrisy.

>grandpa flew in a bomber during the last year of Korea
>then was sent to some shithole in the middle of Africa
>just died recently because his second wife made him take his diuretics but didn't force him to drink water

He used to give my gf weird looks when we visited and once asked me in private if he bombed any of her ancestors. He thought the Superfortress was cool but was adamant that the B-26 Invader was the best bomber of WW2 and the Korean War. His unit dropped the last bombs of the Korean War and he'd have gone up had he not been injured by an AA battery.

I miss him and kind of wish he'd told me more stories.

>have grandfather that served during korea
>during, not in
>was a staff sergeant on a base in germany
>did fuck all
>tfw no cool stories

To be fair, most of the stories my grandpa told me were about Africa. He fucking hated that place. Hot, dry and full of fucking idiots is what he'd say whenever he brought it up.

Funny stories though. They once spent a whole day trying to get a tractor out of a small pond only to have it roll right back in and once saw a native fucking a hyena he'd tied to a post just off base.

>great uncle was a war hero
>french tank commander in North Africa during WW2
>legend has it that he and his crew were known for landing 13 consecutive direct shots at enemy tanks in the course of one battle, earning their tank the nickname of "Le Grand Treize" (the great thirteen in French)
>among the first troops to enter Paris (2nd tank after Leclerc's), was finishing off militia members in the attics of the city with a bayonet while De Gaulle was parading
>never ever talked about any of that himself, was the most boring old man I've ever met
I think he missed it. It seemed like civilian life was a chore to him and he barely put up with it. All things considered he was terribly cold and callous and you couldn't have extracted a drop of sympathy or mirth out of him. Just sat there gathering dust, being stingy and waiting for death.

They've set up foundations specifically with the purpose of making the holocaust an issue forever.

>grandad, inna nam
>5 foot 3 native american mutt, probably weighed like 100 pounds at the time
>assistent gunner, carried all the ammo and spare barrels
>his gear weighed as much as he did
>the gunner, big black dude with muscles made put of more muscles used to haul him up hills, grand dad just clinging to his pack

He didnt talk about him too much, pretty sure they were really good friends and the gunner got killed. Grad dad always seemed happy and sad at the same time when he talked about that man.

>be grand dad, end up hauling around the pig
>get ambushed in a rice paddy, flop down and start pouring rounds into the trees
>first day on patrol, full load of ammo to spend
>firing until the barrel drooped
>finally stop to change barrels
>assistant gunner gives him clear
>first round fired sends the barrel flying off into the paddy
>turn and look at assistant
>well go get it

My great-uncle on my father's side was a soldier during WW1, he died from a shell impact but they didn't find the body. In 2016 I visited France and went over to Villers Bretonneux to visit the memorial (pic related). I was the first person in my family to visit him and when I saw his name up there on the wall I was just overcome by emotion. I'd definitely want to go there again in the future.

There was also my grandfather on my mother's side who fought in Papua New Guinea during WWII. He never talked to my mother or her siblings about it and my aunt had to pick up the medals he'd earned for him apparently. He died from health complications when she was very young so I never got to see him, but from what my relatives tell me, what happened over there must've really gotten to him and I don't blame him. Jungle Warfare is a nightmare and there's no way I'd enlist if I knew I would be fighting in there.

>great uncle ran the main phone operator post in southern Vichy, sent everything he heard to Resistance
>great aunt hid downed allied pilots and got a medal from Eisenhower
>grandmother’s farm was a German camp in Basque country
>grandpa smuggled guns for Resistance
>other grandpa was gunner in 119th US Anti air, under Patton, downed 22 planes, liberated Verdun, got Bronze star for holding a bridge during the Bulge

I love my family, and I love hearing their stories. Only my grandma is left, but she’s tougher n hell. Just that generation.

Tribalism is human nature. You either work with it or it works against you.

You sure you want to keep saying that?
To the people who marched in that small town in Virginia that scared you lot shitless?
To all the gun owners, 90% of whom are right leaning at the very least.
To our new nationalist president.

Is for

I've got a relative of some sort who apparently earned the MoH in Vietnam according to my dad. Threw himself on a grenade or something like that.

My dad's father served on three seperate aircraft carriers during WW2. The Yorktown at Midway, the Lexington for a few months and was eventually transferred to the San Jacinto and served alongside the future President Bush. He died of a heart attack when I was 3 so I never got to hear any stories.

One of my dads brothers served in Vietnam as an M-60 Patton gunner. Or M48, I can't remember. He suffered some head injuries when the Vietcong set off some charges under their tank while it was driving on a narrow pass. The explosion blew a chunk out of the road and the tank rolled ~200 feet downhill. He's the only one who made it out without losing a limb.

Sounds like your grandad got BLACKED.

Say "grizzled" one more time. It arouses me.

Evil. Literal evil.

I wouldnt care if he did. He has some great stories. Legit threw commies out of helicopters and used c4 for enhanced interogation. Did you know mortar crews have really "fun" pranks?

imagine larping this edgy

>throws commies out of helicopters
>used c4 for enhanced interrogation
Was your Gandpa a fucking action hero?

>rules for getting older
>still no rules for sexual dimorphism
why cant any game get it right?

you aren't alt-right, but you hate gays and jews, and you aren't a nazi.

Hmmmmmm.....

I'm gonna go with "generic internet fascist too cowardly to admit he's a fascist."

My grandfather died in an internment camp in WW1 under suspicion of being a Japanese spy.
My family is Chinese.

I want to feel bad for your family but all I can think is "at least they weren't in China for Mao"

Hah, that's one way to look at it.

>90% of whom are right leaning at the very least.
>being right leaning is the same as being an advocate for racial supremacy and ethnic cleansing.

Also called Europe after each world war.

Unless they fought in the east. Or the alps. Or Africa. Or Asia.
Anywhere but France and Belgium basically.

Grandma one: Born in East prussia. Was resettled to Bessaraby. War turned bad. Ran, lost a couple of relatives on the way. Ended up in southern Germany.

Grandpa one: Wehrmacht, fought in Russia. Almost never talked about it. Eventually surrendered and got sent to siberia. He and a friend made a run for it and walked to southern Germany.

Grandma 2: local noble, got somewhat lucky and survived. All her brothers less so.

Grandpa 2: was studying engeneering, got called to arms, served in Russia and seen some shit.
Never quite recovered.

>if the Allies failed to retake the continent they where considering appeasement, not surrender.
Look where appeasement got everyone else

>White supremacy has been dead and burried a long time though. SJW just turned it into a zombie by being so fucking retarded, white supremacy looks sane by comparison.
>What the left doesn't realize is that just because you don't want to see your own people replaced doesn't mean you want to kill everyone else.

That's utter bullshit. The alt-right crap is far worse than the SJWs manage to be.

The sjws are just hambeasts or something.

On the other side you have guys screaming "THE JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" and marching nazi style.

SJW stuff is like a soccer mom at worst, overly worried and fat and lazy.

the alt right stuff starts bad and gets worse. see /pol/ for example.

>No, there wasn't.
were you in a coma for the last year?

>Funnily enough Eisenhower predicted that the Holocaust and the concentration camps would become a issue postwar, that's why he and his general staff toured the sites found so he would have high ground over the denial people by actually seen the camps. There is even a story that Patton who was with Eisenhower threw up during the first visits.

He tried his best, but there are still tons of morons who don't believe in it.

>SJW stuff is like a soccer mom at worst, overly worried and fat and lazy.
Fuck no, those fuckers riot and smash up shops and people's cars because of "the patriarchy" or some shit
Both should be actively hunted down, but if I had to pick, alt-right is the better one.

The reason why so many people don’t believe it is because it’s used as a tool to gain leverage. If they had dialed back on it, acknowledged it happened, but not remind everyone about it 24/7, you wouldn’t have deniers.

Are you serious?

The difference is that the alt-right barely exists while the SJW stuff runs my government and will throw me in jail for speech.

This; I believe the Holocaust happened and quite frankly was larger than people generally think, but it's existence first is used as political leverage and second overshadows the far greater death tolls of Communist dictatorships which by any sane, liberal metric should be disdained in the same way as Fascism. In fact, it should be viewed WORSE than Fascism, because we have had example of Fascist states that while they are murderous totalitarian shitholes that oppress their people haven't led to industrial scale mass murder, unlike basically every Communist state to have existed. Spain, Portugal, etc.

100%. You never hear shit about the "alt-right" destroying public property or assaulting cops, the worst you get is some assholes marching and shouting nazi bullshit.

>implying those 'sjw's aren't just alt-right fuckers trying to pin the blame on 'femmenazis'

You mean like the guy who ran over people in his car? Or the guys who occupied a nature preserve with guns?

>You mean like the guy who ran over people in his car? Or the guys who occupied a nature preserve with guns?
You mean the people denting the fuck out of his car and blocking the highway? which is actually a felony, by the way. He was 100% justified by the law to run them the fuck over.
>Occupied a nature preserve
In a relatively peaceful protest regarding government repossession of their land, which had been in their family before the Bureau of Land Management was even a thing.
The only person injured was the guy the police fucking shot IIRC.

He was a sergeant in 1st cavalry, so yeah. Once he was promoted he stopped carrying the MG and started crawling through tunnels. "We were soldiers" is a pretty accurate portrayal of the kind of shit he got dropped in to. He knew the man who wrote it personally. There were more shenanigans too, but the majority of 1st cav's work was just an absolute nightmare. I have no idea how he made it through. It affected him earlier in his life but hes doing well now. Hes ana absolute goof ball, one of the nicest men i know. Completely care free a d probably the most light jearted man ill ever meet.

Not him but
>Reading comprehension

If I say "an earthquake could occur" I'm not endorsing an earthquake.

Anyway, he is right. The right as a spectrum has been demonized, as have been whites. And what you get is people moving further right.

If you want to stop "muh alt right" stop shitting on the moderates like they were horrendous nazis.

A generally good rule for not getting shot by the police is 'Don't try to pull a handgun on them'. He had a gun in the left pocket he was reaching for in front of the police.

Just wait until they go the route of every revolutionary group.

Antifa will be the next brazilian Red Command.

I didn't say he didn't warrant it, but aside from that one instance the entire thing was a peaceful armed protest.
The same has NEVER been true of modern left-wing protests.

The only justification for hitting someone with a car is that your life or the life of someone else is in imminent danger. Otherwise, you are expected to make every attempt to not hit someone with a car.

Rule 1 of Civil Disobedience: Don't bring weapons.