Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Tell us about one of your table's houserules that you think others would get use out of.

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/PUMYw1zC
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/threads/rzs2q6vy?Mythic-Vital-Strike
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have one I hate at our table. I can’t convince the group to get rid of it due to “fun” IF you roll a nat 20 and confirm with a 20, you roll another die. If it’s a 20, the enemy is slain.

No dice rolls.

All combat rolls are resolved through Mortal Combat.

All non-combat rolls are resolved with rock band between the involved players and the DM.

Could an Antiquarian Armiger use a bunch of staves with sphere talents as customized weapons?

there's this line in the Craft Staff text on the Magical Items page of the SoP wiki

>A typical staff also functions as a walking stick, quarterstaff, or cudgel.

Since it functions as a quarterstaff, it can be made into an Armiger's customized weapon, can it not?

We have something similar, but crits just explode on 20s instead and continue rolling to confirm. So a 19-20/x2 threatens on a 19, confirms with a 20, gets to roll another confirmation. If they confirm, the crit does x3. If they confirm with a 20, they can roll to confirm again for a x4.

It's not the greatest, but it's still stronger than a regular paladin.

>gutting every single iconic feature of a Paladin
>for maneuvers
It's garbage. Sacred Servant stomps it.

I require information! Information about DHB's UC classes! Tell me about the archetypes!

Read them yourself, you lazy cunt.

Here is the pure information on tiers.

Tier 2:
>Loremaster UC Fighter

Tier 3:
>Bootleg Alchemist UC Gunslinger
>Mutation Master UC Fighter
>Wyvern Rider UC Cavalier

Tier 4:
>Base UC Fighter
>Warmaster UC Fighter
>Blood Tainted UC Fighter
>Crossbow Master UC Fighter
>Base UC Cavalier
>Hound Master UC Cavalier
>Knight of the Patchwork Banner UC Cavalier
>Base UC Gunslinger
>Motley Gunman UC Gunslinger
>Construct Tinkerer UC Gunslinger

However I put them in high tier 4 in the same way Ranger, Paladin, and Vigilante are high tier 4.

what is the most you can make using a demiplane with the downtime system? I'm thinking of filling it to the space limit with high output structures and sustaining the workforce with the bountiful trait, but idk what to put in it

Well yeah, you get free planar ally once per week. That can be pretty fucking good, unless your GM hates calling spells and wants to dick you over.

But maneuvers are also pretty fucking good too. If you hate it that much, just sacrifice some feats to take martial training.

Should work, yeah.

>unless your GM hates calling spells and wants to dick you over.
At that point you're safe to leave, because pretty much anything a Paladin would ask for is likely to convince the ally to stay around for two weeks.

Maneuvers aren't worth losing every single feature that's iconic to the Paladin.

Should I give Exp to a player for killing an other?

90% of the time I find wizard players get a lot less strong when you just ask them to actually hand you a prepared spell list at the beginning of the day. Too many players go 'oh yeah I would have that prepared' and don't actually write down their prepared spell.

Basically they cheat to play pseudo-spontaneous casters.

Unless you don't care so much iconic paladin shit and just want to be Holy Maneuver Guy.

>That can be pretty fucking good, unless your GM hates calling spells and wants to dick you over.
I hate calling spells, but to be honest Paladin's wouldn't be allowed/exist in most settings I run anyway but if they did I would work with the player to exchange the feature for something else.

>Should I give Exp to a player for killing
No, and you shouldn't let players kill each other period.

Just be an OD/ZS Warder.

>everybody has access to PoW in their games
Assume much?

I think we're done here.

Because we're discussing how bad or good a Path of War Archetype for Paladin is?

>all this talk about paladins
When was the last time you played a Paladin? What were they like? What kind of end did they meet? Did they fall?

>unless your GM holds you to the letter, cost, and responsibilities that comes with the planar ally spell
The moment the GM makes the price asked for by whatever is called nontrivial, it stops being so good. You are paying the price for something's life, at the end.
>Holy Maneuver Guy.
So my paladin? 6 paladin, 6 warlord?

You're a Paladin asking for help from your deity. Asking for help repelling evil foes, for example, is something pretty much any servant will gladly agree to help you with.

>2012+6
>people still in this thread bitching about what other people like
why can't we just all get along?

Keep the old arguments in the old thread, don't drag them into the new one.

They did fall, but for only 6d6 damage.

Nigga how many times has that been an issue really

I played an Oradin not too long ago, worshiped Ilmater since the setting was closer to Faerun than Golarion. He was kind, a tad naive, and was never upset when people did evil but simply disappointed.

The DM then decided the campaign was going to be all about morally grey decisions, and had us choose between helping out a god of decay, a demon lord of all tieflings, or a selfish council of powerful dick-ass wizards.

After the party defeated the two gods, the Magus betrayed us and Vorpal'd my Oradin and the Rogue (which was real easy when we were playing with "piles" of inspiration, no confirming criticals, and everyone forgetting Vorpal needs a 20). Apparently he was working for the demon lord after some point.

Then my Oradin got brought back after the party's Witch managed to suffocate the Magus and kill him, so he spent the rest of his days making sure the nobody would ever get as powerful as the Magus (who got real nutty thanks to a bunch of homebrewed BS items/abilities from the DM).

>When was the last time you played a Paladin?
My last game?
>What were they like?
Son of a family of heroes that wanted out and got dragged back in. Was aware of his own meek heart and so doubled down on virtue, charity, and compassion towards others. He struggled a bit with his inward craven nature, but he strove to do as much good as he could with his own hands, with some success.
>What kind of end did they meet?
Game is still going, paladin is still alive, and the DM decreed I had acted in so righteously a way that he gave me the Saint template from 3.5. So I'm basically damn near unkillable, on top of massive group support and social maneuvering.
>Did they fall?
Nope, I have wings, I glide slowly to the ground.
I've noticed, playing paladins in many D&D type systems over the years, it is almost impossible to actually fall as a paladin unless the DM is running you into the ground, the player is just that stupid, or the player chooses to. I've never seen an accidental "fall".
Your deity sends you someone, but you must bargain with whoever is there, based on their own temperament. The thing about planar ally is that you don't get to choose who you get, your god does, and the potential impact of that can not be underestimated. I had used planar ally to call in extra muscle for a battle, and I got basically nurse, not a warrior.

You can use Knowledge (Religion) to call for a specific angel.

>This allows the sacred servant to cast lesser planar ally once per week as a spell-like ability without having to pay the material component cost or the servant (for reasonable tasks). At 12th level, this improves to planar ally and at 16th level, this improves to greater planar ally. The sacred servant’s caster level for this effect is equal to her paladin level.

>If you know an individual creature’s name, you may request that individual by speaking the name during the spell (though you might get a different creature anyway).

If you're lawful good, your god probably won't dick you over, unless they know something you don't know.

Carrion Crown Spoiler
How do I make Adivion actually tough while still being a gish?

When a dude ends the final boss of the emerald spire like that you just end up hating it

No, you have to know an individual outsider's name, and that one may not show up anyway.
>unless they know something you don't know
That was exactly the situation I ended up in. My god didn't especially condone the plan of the party, and sent a nurse to tend to the injuries of the populace, rather than a warrior to aid us in battle.
Even then, as it stands, I would personally call access to maneuvers either equal, or a little better, than a 1/week planar ally, if only for personal versatility.

>No, you have to know an individual outsider's name
Which is possible if you know enough.

>personal versatility
Planar Ally IS personal versatility.

Rolling for initiative every round. It's kinda retarded but I'm used to it. It's also fun because it keeps things tense and unpredictable.

We have this as an assumed houserule to the point of my dad being shocked when someone didn't know what it was in another group. He also crit-built a rogue/thief-acrobat in 3.5 with Telling Blow and a keen rapier, so with a 15-20 crit range he can really get things going. Obviously the sneak attack doesn't multiply, but he's done some pretty sweet base damage when he's rolled a 17, 15, 16, 19, etc. and gotten a "quintuple crit" for x5 damage. He doesn't like Pathfinder, even though I've explained that you can sneak attack / crit undead in Pathfinder.

Because:
1.In order to defend their choices and/or feel superior others, for whatever reason, aggressively defending and/or aggressively putting down other people's likes and dislikes is the usual reaction.
2.It's an "Us vs. Them" mentality where the "us" has to be better than "them" otherwise see above.
3. Manchildren. Manchildren everywhere (this includes shitposters)

I dont really understand some parts of downtime. how much does it cost to get an empty plot of land? how much space does each building/room take? anybody know

Your cleric worships a 3rd party god with no obediences.
What do you do?

If you are being a "That guy" in the broadest and most relatable term (outside of asshole) you have to put a coin in the Snack Jar.

For PF in specific: During leveling you may roll your HP and then choose to either forfeit your Hero Point in order to take the average or keep the hero point and the roll result.

Not let him cuse I’m the DM

>When was the last time you played a Paladin?
Never and I don't intend to start.

That's really dumb but the chance of it happening is 1 in 8000.

Man, I'm getting sick of PoW. If you allow PoW people scream about how it's overpowered and broken. If you don't allow PoW people scream about how you hate martials and by extension everyone who plays one.

I'm just going to stick with banning all 9-casters and using Mythic rules instead.

Don't take Deific Obedience or work with the GM to make an appropriate one.

I haven't because LG isn't a fun alignment. I wish there was some way to play a CG one that didn't suck. Plus there's no way a Paladin would be able to play with the people in my group and not immediately fall just by associating with them.

>LG isn't a fun alignment
Never particularly understood this.
It's not fun to have principles and experience how those principles interact with the rest of the setting?

I really think it's just one guy screaming about how it's overpowered and broken.

>mythic
shit taste senpai

Maybe, but I can't say I feel entirely differently about PoW at this point after running games.

Mythic martials was a suggested patch at one point in the past.

Lawful Characters aren't about principles. They're about following codes, rules, laws, hierarchy, and oaths. Literally every character of every alignment has principles.

Mythic characters, even the martials are more busted than Path of War is and they still manage to be boring.

And when they aren't boring they're ridiculous, and not in a fun way either.

Fully mythic characters, or just characters using Mythic combat feats and the occasional mythic surge?

Both. Every aspect of the mythic system is broken. Characters with certain mythic combat feats can legitimately break a 1k damage barrier on a non critical hit.

Other question: Is Savant Thaumaturge decent?

Nice.

they can break 3k on a non-critical hit.

If you wanted to use Mythic but keep the tiers low, could you do it without the game being a total fustercluck?

For the last time fucking no. If you don't want Path of War in your game, don't allow it. If people bitch, let them. You wouldn't want to play with them anyway.

I'm not the same guy (I actually like PoW), I just saw people talking about Mythic and thought I'd ask because it was something I was thinking about.

Okay, how?

Mythic Vital Strike
>paizo.com/threads/rzs2q6vy?Mythic-Vital-Strike
Depending on your interpretation you're still doing 500 damage as a standard action. Not to mention other shit in the rules like sniping people from other planets. You may as well just play exalted.

mythic power attack + mythic vital strike + empty quiver style + mythic deadly aim + strategic dipping and stacking as much strength as possible. If you want higher theoretical damage you ditch empty quiver style memes for crit-fishing with mythic improved critical and cyclops helms

>mythic power attack
>mythic deadly aim
please tell me you aren't serious

So you have to be 13 feats deep to hit that much damage. And with a +25 Strength mod and a +5 Butchering Axe (which somehow counts as a bow), at level 20 you deal... exactly 1008 damage. That's pretty good.

It technically works. Empty Quiver Flexibility lets you add feats/abilities that would boost your ranged attacks (deadly aim) and add them to the melee attack you make with your ranged weapon.

Also made a small mistake, forgot about the 1.5x bonus from 2H, so 1500-ish

I'd honestly not let it work. Deadly Aim wasn't future proofed for Empty Quiver Style and really stacking two Power Attack type dealios shouldn't work much like you can't use Piranha Strike with Power Attack.

Golly, I wish I could play a Paladin! Sometimes I think I should have for the campaign I'm in, but looking at the past isn't healthy for anybody.

Can Undead Lords make variant zombies along with variant skeletons? I guess by RAW that's the case but it seems kinda weird.

Isn't there another pair that stacks? I think it's Piranha Strike and Risky Striker?

You can, but as with the skeleton any variant will only have 1/2 HD. Speaking from personal experience if you suck your GM's metaphorical dick they may even allow you to make Skeletal Champions so they can be intelligent but still loyal to you.

If I houseruled that Paladins can be any Good alignment and made their code a little more flexible (not having to tell the Gestapo there are Jews in the attic), would I need to change anything mechanically?

14 feats. versatile design + weapon adept. This was intended for a fighter build.

I had an idea for a Paladin NPC at one time. Or rather ex-Paladin, who was a mercenary knight for hire. The idea was he would be cursed with evil-aligned armor that whispered to him, which is what caused is fall, but he resisted enough to maintain a Lawful alignment (which keeps his level lowered because of the armor's alignment conflict). And then, at some point, he finally snaps and makes the leap to Antipaladin, getting all his levels back at once in the process.

Be honest with me, is it too edgy?

They do stack, Risky Striker however is a situational and works against only large or larger enemies. And before you somebody notes, Reckless Rager too but it specifically says that it stacks since it extends Power Attack's damage effectively.

That's fucking retarded user. Exploding on critical threats instead of nat 20 just leads to 15-20 crit ranges and stupidity.

>seriously contemplating reusing character art
Can I? Should I?

Probably some auras and smite chaos and shit, but other than that. Not really.

That being said, unless you're under the most Gygaxian interpretation of alignment the Paladin is perfectly fine lying about the Jews in the cellar.

What context? Same GM? Same class and build in mind? Tell more so we can assess the situation from beyond time and space because we are neither psychics or divination wizards.

Pretty much just the same character art, because I like it.
No, for a different game.

Played a Vindictive Bastard last game, which I guess isn't technically a Paladin since it applies to ex-Paladins. I just really wanted to play a 'muh power of friendship' type and have the character value his friends above all else.

Then go ahead. I've technically used the same character with a paint job in three different games and nothing bad has come out of it as far as I can tell.

I haven't played a paladin in PF yet. Been saving it for Return of the Runelords to finalize a running joke I have with most of my characters.

What are the best ways to make an arcane gish?
A way that isn't a Magus who casts shocking grasp forever.
Summoner has 3/4 bab so I guess it can do it.
Can PoW do anything?
What about Spheres? How's the Mageknight?

Iron caster or Child of whatever Fighter? Bloodrager? Scrollmaster Wizard?

bloodrager, warpath follower inquisitor or warpriest, pathwalker psychic warrior, any full initiator PrCing into blade-caster or battle templar

Make fighter an NPC class
Give martials bonus combat feats every even level
Give gishes bonus combat feats every three levels
Give fullcasters bonus combat feats every five levels
Everybody profits

Isn't that just spheres of might with the arbitrary changes and restrictions filed off?

How do you make a martial Elf when they get a -2 to Constitution?

Use an Elven Curved Blade with a dex-to-damage feat.

Carefully. Alternatively, just be a half elf with Elven Weapon Familiarity and insist you're totally a full elf.

-2 to Con isn't a big deal. You're looking at 1 HP less than normal per level.

also dying 2 hp earlier and a -1 to fort saves

>pathwalker psychic warrior,
>warpath follower inquisitor or warpriest
These aren't Arcane.

I have never been in a campaign where 1 HP made a difference.

Lucky you

Any reason it has to be a gish?

My bad, rather why do you need to be Arcane?