/osrg/ Old School "R" General

pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Welcome! What are the 10 most important locations to detail for a small town?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=374xW4zZbZA
youtube.com/watch?v=CCwBRfBHeag
youtube.com/watch?v=rP0uuI80wuY
lomion.de/cmm/liviidol.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What are the 10 most important locations to detail for a small town?
Small town?

1. Where do we sleep?
2. Where do we eat?
3. Where do we buy basic supplies?
4. Where's the brothel?
5. Who's in charge?
6. No, really, who's actually in charge?
7. Where's the healer?
8. Where's the church?
9. Where's everyone going to go when there's trouble?
10. Where's the richest guy in town?

How do you like your Fighting-Men?

Dead. You don't stay and fight.

The most hit points, the best AC, and the one guy the dragon's breath doesn't one-shot if you make your saving throw.

Why would anyone like Fighting-Men?

How do the "getting lost" rules in Cook/Expert work with mapping?

It seems really shitty to tell the guy drawing things that the next hex is a forest (tee hee it's actually hills!) and they're heading north when really they're heading north east, and also you have to keep track of all this shit.

>What are the 10 most important locations to detail for a small town?
Jail/gaol
Church/shrine
Market
Taverns/inns/brothels
Military/police/watch
Jackie Chan

Learning OD&D and i was wondering what Intelligence and Wisdom do for their classes? Does a higher score mean they cast it faster ect?
Also im confused on the wording of the Prime Requisite rules. So "Wisdom is the prime requisite for Clerics. It may be used on a 3 for 1 basis by fighters, and on a 2 for 1 basis by Magic-Users" I'm assuming that that means that if I'm a fighter with shit strength but really high wisdom i can use wisdom as my requisite but every 3 point actually equals 1 for the whole exp thing right? I don't actually spend my wisdom to pump up my strength score right?

OD&D questions have no objective answers because the system as written literally cannot work without houserules.

E L E G A N T

>"The D&D game has no rules, only rule suggestions. No rule is inviolate, particularly if a new or altered rule will encourage creativity and imagination. The important thing is to enjoy the adventure."

Can we all agree Tom Moldvay was the Lawrence Kasdan of D&D?

Pre-Greyhawk, everything class related scales off of level. Prime requisites give multipliers to how much xp you get.
>'m assuming that that means that if I'm a fighter with shit strength but really high wisdom i can use wisdom as my requisite but every 3 point actually equals 1 for the whole exp thing right? I
Subtract 9 from you wisdom. Divide by 3. Round down. Add that to you Strength when checking how much bonus xp you get.

i'd say it is more elegant even with all the house rules as than most modern systems.

>Can we all agree

As if you disagree. Purely Gygaxian D&D would have been awful.

You're alone in this opinion, see

What if I'm using Greyhawk?

Where are your OD&D/AD&D retroclones with Gygaxian prose that anyone plays?

>I don't actually spend my wisdom to pump up my strength score right?
In Holmes you literally trade Wisdom for Strength at character generation (and have to opt to do it). In OD&D your Strength is only adjusted for that one table look-up.

You wouldn't need to ask.

Intellugence also gives languages and any high prime req allowd for class change. If you roll high strength AND high int or wis you get to flip off all the level limited elves.

Your bi-weekly reminder that Thieves are the best class and their skill system fixed D&D by paving the way to a universal one.

Also I just started playing The Dark Mod again and forgot how great it was.

what would you pay for a print copy of the rules cyclopedia? thinking of picking one up for the collection

Wow those are overpriced. I was going to say $15, actually I just wouldn't.

You do you.

why do snake men always want to blot out the sun?

What else would they blot out? The night sky?

youtube.com/watch?v=374xW4zZbZA
>When a woman acquires a certain age
>And the men who adored you no longer swoon
>It pays to avoid the sunlit days
>And live by the light of the kindly moon
>But the moon grows old just like us all
>And her beautiful years are done
>So now she prays through endless days
>To take her REVENGE on the SUN!

I think the idea would be the guy making the map would notice. But also, instead of just telling him wrong terrain, you could randomize their direction or something. Then his map is accurate, just not going where they thought

>exothermic reptiles
>blotting out the sun
So they want to commit a global murder-suicide?

People didn't know plants needed light until like the 1770-something.

I'm pretty sure snake-men would know they need the sun.

>So they want to commit a global murder-suicide?

Nah. Blot out the sun with volcanic ash. Nice warm earth. Kill all the filthy mammals. Etc.

Nobody ever said snake-men were sensible.

Why did nobody tell me VR was big in Uganda?

Wrong thread, sorry.

>nuclear winter
>"Nice warm earth"
Stick to medievalism, Skerp, because you have zero clue about modern topics.

Who said anything about nuclear winter?
youtube.com/watch?v=CCwBRfBHeag

Why not just use people's attribute modifiers rather than their raw attribute scores? If this doesn't make a big enough difference on a d20, then use a d12. Or 2d10. Or 3d6. Or 2d8. Or whatever. That's a lot better than multiplying attributes by 4 or 2, adding 40, then rolling percentile dice.

Like, seriously. If "continental inversion" isn't on your list of doomsday plots, it's not a complete. List. Get those tectonic plates moving. Sterilize everything and start over.

I'm pretty sure most adults know how to drive a automobile. I wouldn't bet money that Socrates could.

yeah but socrotes probably knew he needed, like, food.

Look, assuming their behavior is like the average snake, they're going to be spending a signifcant amount of the day sunning themselves. Taking away the little ball that makes them all feel warm should not be a popular decision among cold blooded creatures.

Unless the Doomsday plan involves Hibernating through the cold, sunless period, and even then..

>Isidore of Seville [7th century CE] (Etymologies, Book 12, 5:1-18): The worm is born from flesh or wood or any earthly thing, but without intercourse. It is sometimes born from an egg, like a scorpion. There are worms of the earth (scorpion, beetle, multipede, snail), air (spider), water (leech), clothing (moth), flesh (many kinds), wood (termite), and leaves (silkworm, caterpillar). The leech (sanguisaga) is a water worm that drinks blood; when it is full of blood it vomits it up so that it can drink more. The beetle (cantharis) is an earth worm that fills bladders and causes inflamation when applied to the human body. The multipede (multipes) has its name from its many feet; it is born under a rock from liquid and earth. The snail (limax) is considered unclean because it lives in mud. The silkworm (bombyx) is a leaf worm from whose thread silk is made. The caterpillar (eruca) is a leaf worm that is named from its gnawing (erondendo) on plants. Termites (teredones) are wood worms, called from the Greek word for "gnawing" (terendo). The moth (tinea) is a clothing worm that has name from holding (teneat) onto what it eats. There are many flesh worms (vermes carnium) that infect the intestines, head and skin. Like snakes the worm does not move with distinct steps, but by stretching and contracting its body.
You'd be surprised what people believe beyond their immediate needs. "Blowing up the Sun" might be seen as inconvenient if you farm crops, but snake people don't farm. They hunt. Mostly at night.

See what I'm getting at?

Unless they've discovered fire.
Or central heating.
Or magic heating.
Or lava.

>Now there is one property that animals are found to have in common with plants. For some plants are generated from the seed of plants, whilst other plants are self-generated through the formation of some elemental principle similar to a seed; and of these latter plants some derive their nutriment from the ground, whilst others grow inside other plants, as is mentioned, by the way, in my treatise on Botany. So with animals, some spring from parent animals according to their kind, whilst others grow spontaneously and not from kindred stock; and of these instances of spontaneous generation some come from putrefying earth or vegetable matter, as is the case with a number of insects, while others are spontaneously generated in the inside of animals out of the secretions of their several organs.

>In animals where generation goes by heredity, wherever there is duality of sex generation is due to copulation. In the group of fishes, however, there are some that are neither male nor female, and these, while they are identical generically with other fish, differ from them specifically; but there are others that stand altogether isolated and apart by themselves. Other fishes there are that are always female and never male, and from them are conceived what correspond to the wind-eggs in birds. Such eggs, by the way, in birds are all unfruitful; but it is their nature to be independently capable of generation up to the egg-stage, unless indeed there be some other mode than the one familiar to us of intercourse with the male; but concerning these topics we shall treat more precisely later on. In the case of certain fishes, however, after they have spontaneously generated eggs, these eggs develop into living animals; only that in certain of these cases development is spontaneous, and in others is not independent of the male; and the method of proceeding in regard to these matters will set forth by and by, for the method is somewhat like to the method followed in the case of birds. But whensoever creatures are spontaneously generated, either in other animals, in the soil, or on plants, or in the parts of these, and when such are generated male and female, then from the copulation of such spontaneously generated males and females there is generated a something-a something never identical in shape with the parents, but a something imperfect. For instance, the issue of copulation in lice is nits; in flies, grubs; in fleas, grubs egg-like in shape; and from these issues the parent-species is never reproduced, nor is any animal produced at all, but the like nondescripts only.

>As a general rule, then, all testaceans grow by spontaneous generation in mud, differing from one another according to the differences of the material; oysters growing in slime, and cockles and the other testaceans above mentioned on sandy bottoms; and in the hollows of the rocks the ascidian and the barnacle, and common sorts, such as the limpet and the nerites. All these animals grow with great rapidity, especially the murex and the scallop; for the murex and the scallop attain their full growth in a year. In some of the testaceans white crabs are found, very diminutive in size; they are most numerous in the trough shaped mussel. In the pinna also is found the so-called pinna-guard. They are found also in the scallop and in the oyster; these parasites never appear to grow in size. Fishermen declare that the parasite is congenital with the larger animal. (Scallops burrow for a time in the sand, like the murex.)

What do you think of this plot hook:

Town has a nearby lake that its their principal source of water, but this lake is corrupted with magic because (still dont know) so they use a magic item to purify their water, one night (chaos cultist maybe?) stole said magic item, now the party haves to bring it back

Apropos of nothing,
>Of the king bees there are, as has been stated, two kinds. In every hive there are more kings than one; and a hive goes to ruin if there be too few kings, not because of anarchy thereby ensuing, but, as we are told, because these creatures contribute in some way to the generation of the common bees. A hive will go also to ruin if there be too large a number of kings in it; for the members of the hives are thereby subdivided into too many separate factions.

Is there any setting with a similar "no, it doesn't work like that" approach to nature? Not like dragons and shit, but ordinary animals, insects and plants using this kind of ancient thought.

>Is there any setting with a similar "no, it doesn't work like that" approach to nature?
Closest I can think of is Spelljammer, but that's for physics not biology.

It's a good start, but it needs some more work. Obviously, you're going to have to figure out how the water is corrupted, be sure to make it an interesting corruption. Figure out where the corruption is coming from so maybe the players have a stop-gap solution to buy them time to steal back the magic item. The magic item should also be equally interesting.

This got me thinking, what kind of magic objects could clearly help a town out?

something that creates food or animals its a big deal

Something to ward against vermin, a simple people locator (to keep children from wandering off, especially in a PoLand style setting), a time piece for the whole town, street lights.

Idea: the murdermouse: youtube.com/watch?v=rP0uuI80wuY

Spontaneously generated by massacres. If you see one, a lot of people died very messily a short time ago. Go find them and loot them.

Alternatively:
>Spontaneously generated by massacres. If you see one, a lot of people died very messily a short time ago. Run away, whatever killed them is still around.

I'm so glad someone got it.
My players definitely wouldn't get it.

>Something to ward against vermin
lomion.de/cmm/liviidol.php

Reminder that if you decide feed your snake live mice, your should not feed it domesticated mice. They're too dumb to consider running away and may take your snake down with them.

They is not clever noodles.
Had one as a kid. Fed it cheap feeder goldfish, mostly. Some fish it ate, some it didn't. The ones that survived got dumped in an outdoor water tank... and lived happily for years after the snake died, growing to enormous sizes.

Does DCC work well for any type of campaign play outside of stringing together a bunch of dungeons? Im trying to decide what system to use for my next campaign.

What kind of campaign do you want to do?

What do you think of a wagon that moves with magic?

You mean an automobile?

yes

I think he was referring to the fact that lizards have been known to warm themselves in the sun as a method of body temperature regulation. Being cold-blooded, imagine how fucking wonderful sunshine must feel.

What is the best deliver x item to x location adventure?

If you can think of an interesting analog(ghost carriage, incline generator, will of the wheel) I don't see a problem.

I currently have a homebrew with combat dice.

Basically; every class rolls their hit dice as their initiative. MUs get d6, Rogues get d8, Fighters get d10. If you get a 6, you get advantage on your attack roll.

What should rolling a 10 or better give? I had the thought to make it an autohit, but I feel that's not that good especially since even fighters only have a 1 in 10 to get it. Instead; how about making it worth 2 attacks, or double damage with 1 attack?

So how many sessions are modules like B1, B2 and B4 likely to take? They certainly don’t seem like one-shots. Wilderness, town and a dungeon or two.

Could you make a simple paladin by just taking the elf, swapping their spell list from M-U to cleric, and maybe replacing their magicy senses with something else minor? I think I read one on a blog for LotFP but I can’t find it anymore.

Replace the magicy senses with protection from evil/disease immunity. Keep the paralysis immunity from ghouls though, that fits well.

That's a really good hack, but elves are kind of squishy for a base for Paladins aren't they? What about armors?

I ran b1 and after two roughly 4 hour sessions they still didn't explore all of it. I'd be reasonable and say maybe 4-5 sessions(depending on session length). They can also be like my group and just cut their losses and leave after a certain point once gathering their haul of loot, hence why it only took 2 sessions.

Beefy, quick on their feet, and always packing a bow. Preferably in packs of at least 2.

It's a little weird that they'd have fewer hit points than clerics. Given their higher XP requirements, elves are only a tiny bit better than thieves in the realm of hit points.

One thing that makes paladins tricky to do is that clerics have good hit points, full armor access, and gain levels quickly. So how do you fit paladins in between them and fighters? Fighters are only one step better than clerics in hit dice and to-hit progression, and both of these are lessened by the fact that clerics gain levels faster. Well, fighters have sword access as well, which is no small deal, and it goes without saying that paladins would as well, but then what?

In the end, it seems to me that the only way to make paladins work is modify clerics, adjusting something downwards for each thing you adjust upwards. Shit, maybe just give them access to all weapons in exchange for lagging one level behind clerics in terms of spell slots. Doing much more than that probably necessitates taking clerics down a peg to make more room between them and fighters (which isn't necessarily a bad idea, mind you).

This fills me with so so many questions.

Supplies to a besieged castle

I like combat-crits giving special abilities. So like a cleave or charge attack or something.

Come to think of it
>cleave or charge attack
is pretty much the same as
>2 attacks, or double damage with 1 attack

So just go with that I guess.

>He would notice
No, because they're going into yet-unmapped territory. The problem is that since they're making the map as they go, getting lost means that they are drawing the map wrong, and by the time they notice they'll have to redo most of it from scratch.

>Telling the party outright that they go in the wrong direction
I don't know, man. That kind of defeats the point.

Fuck that, if the Fighter rolls a 20 he gets a second attack. It's simple and still makes the game flow fairly fast.

Clerics get no fighting capability in LotFP. They can cast while heavily encumbered though.

Are we talking about LotFP? I know a blog related to it was referenced for providing an elf-to-paladin conversion, but I wasn't aware we were ultimately looking for a class for that game.

I need Lamentation of the Flame Princess Stats for a scaly herps of batrachia position with a bulb growing from its back.

My group has been trying to smuggle goods from a Dutch ship into Shogunate Japan and have accidentally been wrecked on Mitei-no-seirei-no-shima, which certainly wasn't on the old Portuguese charts.

My brother of African descent.

>scaly herps of batrachia position with a bulb growing from its back
Uh... what?

A scaly Reptile/Amphibian in a frog-like position with a plant bulb on its back.

So these

I need a map of servers, best if suitable for graph paper and quite vast. Where should I look? Do you have any?

>B/X with AD&D classes and races
Anything that I should be wary of?

Being a false OSR Enthusiast

LL with AEC

HD 2 AC 14 Attack + 2 Bite d6, Razor Leaf d8 30' MV 30' per round ML 8 Sv F1 AL N Sz S Xp 25 Treasure A*

A*: The treasure is only worth HD x Xp in regents cut from the corpse with a successful Bushcraft roll.

Errata: Save for Bulbasaur should be as F2

HD 4-6 AC 16 Attack +4-6 Bite d8, Razor Leaf d10 30' AND/OR: (Leech Seed d8 damage stolen OR Poison Powder (enemy must save or take the number of the monster's HD as damage i.e. 4-6 damage per round)) Razor Whip d12 10' MV 30' per round ML 9 Sv F4-6 AL N Sz L Xp 75 Treasure A*

Errata Ivysaurs should be size M

HD 7-8 AC 18 Attack +7-8 Bite d10, Choice of 3: Razor Leaf d12 60' Poison Powder, Leech Seed d10 damage stolen Razor Whip d20 20' Sleep Powder (save vs poison or fall asleep) Solar Beam d12 beam of energy MV 20' per round ML 9 Sv F7-8 AL N Sz L Xp 150 Treasure A*

All take double damage from fire and spirit of the ground

All immune to being Poisoned

This is a thread about OSR not weaboo 90s garbage

Take your conversions to /vp/

Shut the fuck up, its trash like you who are turning the movement into just another storygame group masturbation aid.

>turning the movement into just another storygame
That's the only way things can go, sooner or later

>the movement

Ok, breath in. Now, stop reading RPGpundit’s garbage and form you own opinions instead.

Could we get a design challenge for this thread//the next one?

Maka a game in one page, fit only the rules/content you deem necessary for a game.