EDH/Commander General

Big Robots edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question:
Who is your favorite colorless commander, if any?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-01-18-sXG-its-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it/
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/bruna-soul-sisters-edh-v2-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can we get some titties back in magic art?

>Who is your favorite colorless commander, if any?
I collect different languages of hope of ghirapur
I'm about halfway done with getting a foil and non foil version of each language it's been printed in
Also looking for misprints but haven't had any luck finding any

But why?

>Colorless

No thanks, I cant honestly say I have ever enjoyed playing against a colorless deck.

Either just tap right eldrazi, or hope you have artifact removal before I combo out with almost literally any card in my deck

>Mind's Desire Doomsday piles

Fucking witchcraft, I swear. I will never understand this shit.

Art is cool
Effect is cool
It's really cheap (money and cmc)
It's a legend
There's literally nothing not cool about the card

>Who is your favorite colorless commander, if any?
Karn, as he's the only guy that doesn't just say 'I'm going to do nothing but ramp then kill everything with my general' unlike all those eldrazi fuckers

>that pic
LOL ADULTING XDXD

>ghostway is at least 10x the price of eerie interlude even though the only reason to play ghostway is you already have eerie in your deck

this stuff never ceases to amaze me

No thanks. I'd prefer neat outfits and armors to latex and boobplate.

I still don't understand doomsday combos as is. The only one I comprehend is the necropotence > flash > labman > street wraith >pact for backup one.
Like how the fuck does Grenzo DD work? Or other DD combos that aren't the above?

First pic I grabbed in my folder, relax

I really like my Kozilek stax deck, he offers some interesting options. I do think Karn is really neat and I'm really surprised by how cheap he still is considering his reserved list status but I guess after the one reprinting people are too wary or there's too much supply.

By far one of my favorite factions in mtg, and my favorite designs.

Grenzo is a much different beast than the blue Doomsday combos. You basically use Grenzo's activations to go from bottom to top of your library, ending up with a Kiki Conscripts infinite until you have enough copies to swing for lethal

One tiny thing that bugs me about these guys-- one of their symbols is a black rose. Why? We already had another character in Magic whose symbol was a black rose. We even just had a set where that black rose was the set symbol. I hope there's a reason behind that and it's not just been overlooked. It could have been like a lily or something. A lily would even fit with the imagery their designs use.

Only thing that gets me is that they're out in sunlight. I'd also like the conquistador vamps if they weren't FUCKING TRASH.

>Trash

Good old standard card designs. I was pissed that Elena was a dies trigger.

Without (sun)light, the white/black/gold wouldn't contrast as well.

There are quite a few that aren't trash, both in playability and lore-wise.
Also, being in sunlight seems to have two main sections in most vampire myths:
Either they are burned by sunlight no matter what,
Or they are burned only when they haven't drank blood in a while. / Not burned when they have just fed.
Seems like Ixalan vamps are more along the lines of the second, other than Saint Elenda who just wills it to be night around herself and it is so, because she's that strong.

Ghostway has one printing from a decade ago, Interlude has three printings, one from less than two years ago.
Grenzo DD has two combos, both require Grenzo and two mana to crack the pile.
Either Priest of Gix/Priest of Urabrask to net you BBB/RRR, into Kiki, copy the Priest, now you've got four mana, for a Goblin Sledder to make Grenzo a 3/3, and a Zealous Conscripts, grabbing your own Kiki, win.
The secondary combo is to go into Metallic Mimic naming goblins, Murderous Redcap, and Skirk Prospector. Prospector sacrifices Redcap over and over, Mimic gives it +1/+1 counters to keep it Persisting.

Other DD piles will do things like cracking Lion's Eye Diamond in response to their own draw spell to make mana, then playing Yawgmoth's Will to cast all their draw spells again.

While we're on the topic: what's the most efficient Doomsday pile? Predict-Unearth piles need like 1UB to get through

The only genuinely viable colorless commander is Rammos since you can just build whatever the fuck you want with him. I wish there were more viable or playable colorless legendaries, and more importantly - more colorless cards that weren't essentially garbage versions of other coloured cards.

Ramos is cool. Part of me still wants to build Charms.dec with him

Gush piles if you have enough islands. Semirelated, there was a competitive EDH video a while back where someone managed to get off a DD pile of Timetwister, Mana Crypt, Laboratory Maniac, Mental Misstep, Pact of Negation

You guys think Hearless Summoning is worth a slot in a Volrath deck? My deck tends to stall if I can't get enough Mana up and running.

yeah man i remember being 15. eventually you'll get to see real boobs and you won't need to stare at card art anymore.

What are the thoughts on this? Worth the 1 mana a turn?

just got done making my etali pile. any suggestions? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-01-18-sXG-its-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it/

yes

>1 mana a Turn
Mate, it's Cumulative Upkeep, not normal Upkeep. Meaning you pay 1 mana the turn after it's out, then 2 after that, then 3, etc.
That said, sure. It's basically a 2nd copy of Rhystic Study.

Can anyone link me to a medium power Edgar Markov list? I'm look for another deck to play in casual matches, and he looks fun.

it's basically an ancestral recall. it's good. rhystic study is better but it's good. i don't think i've ever kept it up more than 2 turns.

If you've also got Solemnity and/or Brago, yes. Otherwise, eh, Rhystic Study is probably better.

>rhystic study is better
It depends. I think Remora is better the more competitive your meta is, since 4 mana is a lot to ask when your deck is as streamlined as possible. That and noncreature spells become way more prevalent in competitive groups

I think I am missing something obvious here. Why is Uba Mask good?

>whines about "back in my day" using a card printed 3 years before he was born

players can only play spells they draw the turn they draw them, shuts down control and can be played in any deck.

Looking at the card, I would have to say the clause that forces them to play the cards that turn or lose them.

Wheel, now if they want to counter they need a way to draw it on your turn in response to your spell.

instead of drawing you exile the card. you have to play it that turn or it is exiled forever. this makes control impossible, because if you draw a counterspell you can't play it on your opponents turns. get it?

i think on average remora draws between 3-7 cards. rhystic study usually draws about 10-20. the fact that you can play remora on turn 1 really doesn't mean much either. it's better to draw more cards over time than to draw a ton of cards really early.

>>rhystic study usually draws about 10-20

your playgroup is retarded user. how does it feel to scoop up free wins?

Is there a good commander for UR storm?

mizzix

Mizzix.

Melek

either Mizzix or Melek but Mizzix is better

Who is the most fun Orzhov commander to play?

Kambal, probably. Though Karlov or Vish Kal might actually be the answer.

Voting Karlov.

Daxos

Karlov has the niftiest deck and I have him so him. Literally no other deck is Sacred Cat a slamdunk.

Ok fine yes.

>tfw can't decide on what to brew

Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Anax and Cymede.

holy fuck i wish she was better WHy did it have to be graveyard and not just any zone?

>Boros

Do it faggot.

No fucking clue.

Maybe someone can enlighten me why she couldnt have been that.

Its not like bouncing her would be that useful for token gain.

Thrasios + Ravos 4c Merfolk Tribal.

>leaving out Jori En and Razorfin Hunter

More like Anax and Cyanide.

this, I've been playing orzhov edh for a long time and teysa is by far the most interesting to have sitting in your command zone.

On the same line of questioning, who's the most fun Dimir commander to play?

Anyone play this guy? I want to try him, packed with MLD out the ass and saccing my Gobbos for profit

Anyone played with either of these as commander? How does it play and do they hit meld often? Also how impactful is the melded ability? I want to run bruna as the commander and have mostly taxing effects from angels and humans.

Phoebe, Head of S.N.E.A.K. if your group allows it. Otherwise:
Gisa and Geralf for Zombie tribal.
Lazav for Clones Galore "I'm playing everyone else's deck instead of my own."
Oona for mill.

Do you even have to ask?

I run a SoulSisters.dec with them in it, Bruna at the helm.
Meld somewhat often. (Meaning whenever I manage to draw Gisela.)
The meld is really impactful since locking out cmc 3 or less locks a ton of control and removal cards, and Brisela herself is a really dangerous creature.

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/bruna-soul-sisters-edh-v2-2/

Say you wanted to build an ETB-focued Commander, but I didn't want to build Brago or Roon. Who would be your choice and why?

I actually really adore my Circu deck but honestly the most fun dimir would probs just be Silas. If you don't want to run Silas then I'd say Dralnu or Scarab Meme

Inalla for obvious reasons

Alesha. Tons of good ETBs in Mardu, plus I like reanimating shit

Norin and Norin's text box.
Or Gonti with everything to flicker him.

Alesha if you're ok with restricting yourself to power 2 or less.

Because if it was just "leave the battlefield", she would be way too strong (and they can't really put "dies or is put in the command zone" in a standard set).

Let's say you have any sac outlet, and Elenda is a 7/7.
You blink her and get 7 tokens, sac all of those for 7 effects (get mana, scry, draw or whatever).
Then 7 creatures died and Elenda is now a 8/8 so you just got 7 effects for free.

At least she's WB so it's not that hard to bring her back into play from the graveyard.

Unorthodox answer: Trostani
Greenbelt Rampager with Panharmonicon is fucking hilarious, you can dump so much mana into repeatable ETBs. Also, run Saltskitter.

>Sacred Cat a slamdunk.

>your playgroup is retarded user. how does it feel to scoop up free wins?

even if they pay that's 10-20 mana that my opponents have wasted. i'm winning that game anyways unless somebody goes off hard. the real solution to rhystic study is to destroy it and/or everything.

athreos? i've been wanting to dos omething with skeleton god for a while tho so i have atheros on my mind.

Sorry you sexist but that's too problematic for this day and age.

It's 4 counters guaranteed for Karlov.

Protip, no one cares about how "spicy" your tech is, stop bitching when you lose.

Damn that must have been some spicy spice.

>impactful

Very. Locking out She would be too strong if you already have her as a 7/7 and have everything else ready to combo out

Seriously, shes a 4 mana 1/1 with no protection, or immediate impact. As a vampire token commander she is outclassed easily by Edgar. Any sort of token combo she can pull off, marath can do better. Her ability is hampered by the command zone, so she requires further investment to be able to recurse her.

In standard she has zero chance of being played, so whats the point of her current state?

I really enjoyed the art from many of the invocations/masterpieces, but i'm not really a fan of the borders, the foil or the price tag. Started making some proxies of some of my favorites. thoughts?

really sick

This isn't the thread for it.

it's the lack of being able to cast 3CMC cards that fucks me over with her, every time. Almost all my removal is less than 3, barring a couple of boardwipes. Pop this out in combination with Void Winnower and you can watch as your opponents get to not play magic.

>I really enjoyed the art from many of the invocations/masterpieces, but i'm not really a fan of the borders, the Foil or the price tag.
This is what literally everyone thinks though.
The art pieces were nice, but the cards themselves were irredeemably ugly abominations.

>that art

I spent way too much time today tracking down the site of where i could potentially buy some form of this art from the artist.

Just to see Sold out

Some are easier than others.
Nice trips and ty.
It wasn't the thread for talking about bananas and the CIA either but here we are.

Eminence was a mistake

A big fat mistake

Commanders from precons are always a mistake. Reminder you are a faggot if you use one.

They are some of the more interesting and fun commanders to play.

Eminence (and by extension Oloro) should never have been printed.
It's a binary ability:
Either it's so weak it wouldn't matter if it wasn't even there in the first place. (Arahbo would be pretty much the same power level without the first half of his text box)
Or it's so strong that it becomes broken. (Inalla)

Unfortunately, scans come up really grainy, it would probably take a lot more skill than I have to make them non-grainy (unless someone had the fonts and templates), the online prints (eg. vintage masters) work really well because they're sharp, so they print in decent quality, but ones that aren't printed in an online set don't turn out as nice. Still, for EDH play they should come up suitable.

>>REEEEE

Ok user we get it, you don't like eminence. Could you shut up and talk about commander instead of shitposting about it every thread?

what are you guys building/working on right now?