Hey bro what if the setting took place on Earth, but it's fantasy, and we moved a couple things around?

>hey bro what if the setting took place on Earth, but it's fantasy, and we moved a couple things around?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IZUmw2UKVdo
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=shadowrun storytime
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shadowrun

so close to nothing of value being lost, but yeah actually better

I've heard that a lot. I'm kind of new to Tabletop Games in general, so what is that?

>Easy access to all the regular population centers, but now america's growth is fueled by huge floating greenhouses
>speedboating across huge swathes of relatively calm water, past mile long glass tubes full of vibrant produce

aw ye

>since the Rockies come straight out of the ocean, they're more difficult to access for mining and shit, with steep cliffs and dangerous, yet highly potent coastlines, with jagged rock formations
>early settlements were built almost like docks, using the rocks as support, and shipwrecks as the basis for many buildings, before expanding inwards and upwards into the mountains, with the mines becoming just as much cities and homes as the valleys and coastlines around
>many Waterworld-esque settlements build around resources like fertile fishing grounds, great seaweed or kelp beds, and such
>the natives were in many ways reminiscent of polynesians wayfinders, sailing between the many islands and lands of the American Sea
>the period is marked by a resurged age of piracy, rather than cowboys

>the Confederates fortify the narrow Virginia/Carolina border early in the Civil War
>the rest of the war is mostly fought between ever more massive ironclad warships on the inland sea
This is a war of northern aggression I'd like to see.

>missourian city states like greek heroic age
Didn't know I wanted this until now.

beyond the united states losing an absolute shitton of its food production sure

>I bet the dakotan/nebraskan peninsula would be prone to flooding
>waterspouts instead of tornados
>hurricanes have a chance at crossing the continent
>still has a supervolcano right in the middle

>hey bro what if the setting took place on Earth, but it's fantasy, and we moved a couple things around?
Honestly one of my favorite types of settings.

>if this were real I wouldn't have grown up in the frozen wasteland of Upstate New York
I love it.

Missouri here I’m ok with this turn of events.

Imagine a system with some of the best and still most original astetics ever put to splat book, combined with the most retarded fluff and bloated rule set you've ever seen.

HYDROPONICS

By the looks of things you'd have grown up in american Armenia.

Not sure if that's an improvement

>The Missouri City-States are still infested with meth
>Kansas City and St. Louis feud as rivals over mastery of their shared homeland. Both pale compared to the mightier Chicago that stands to the northeast
Which one is Not!Athens and which is Not!Sparta? Chicago is clearly Constantinople in this situation.

The US produces far more than it consumes. I think this US would had united with Canada and there would be a lack of exporting food (probably a lot less third world support, but also a lot less capability to feed our allies as well), but it wouldn't be that bad. Nearly everything would be even MORE agricultural, a lot less forests, but Not!scily and not!libya and not!Padania would still produce a shit load of food ven without the green revolution.

This is a very neat fuckin' map and settin, tho.

>we macedonia now
good shit

Also, Epirus. Iowa's a military powerhouse fueled by pig and corn farmers

America would be even more Roman inspired. This world would boggle the mind of philosphers and scientists alike. (Mountains might be different, of course, than as shown here) but as soon as Europeans realize that this is basically the Med 2.0 everything goes apeshit.

For fun, America still exists.The capital is in New Rome in New Italy. The Japanese were held off at the perilous battle of the Straights of Pismo.

Colorado Delanda Est

Michigan-illinois broship for contol of the eastern shipping passageway

How about it's set on a fantasy Earth where everything had been exaggerated.

>Britain is a land of literally perpetual rainfall. Also capitalist steampunk, but gloomy because disease and rain and the church.
>Russia is frozen as fuck, people ride fucking polar bears and even the children drink a third of vodka a day. Very rigid authoritarian dystopian Dieselpunk.
>Africa is a crazy barbarian war world, melee weapons and hordes and powerful mass ritual magic.
>Asia is crazy wuxia land.

You get the idea. This way everybody has tons of experience with the world already, but there's still high fantasy sensibilities.

>Colorado now just a massive aquaponic weed growing operation

>Yellowstone's proximity to the ocean as instead prevented it from being a dormant depression in the earth, and instead, the entire region of Yellowstone and the mainland portion of what would've been part of Wyoming surrounding it is filled with volcanoes
>it's the most volcanicaly active place in the planet, the entire region is abundant with ash, and closer to Yellowstone, with immense lava-fields, and Yellowstone itself being a massive crater, quite literally a gaping hole in the Earth's crust
>while it prevents it from being as explosively dangerous when it does erupt, the abundance of volcanic activity in the region, and the surrounding territories throughout the western and central United States and Canada, make it incredibly heavy with resources, from the ridiculously abundant minerals, from the quite literally constant volcanic activity, the fertile soil, and some of the most diverse ecosystems in the planet
>as a result, the wildlife found here is quite literally unique to the region, and seemingly alien to the rest of the world, with the unique conditions allowing for things that would be absolutely possible anywhere else on Earth, from massive whale-like creatures and giant worms that swim through seas of ash, to stocky elephant-like cephalod creatures that roam the Great Fungal Woods, and even more fantastical creatures that are rumored to exist closer to the center of this alien landscape
>many elements that are impossibly rare in other parts of the world, can be found in much greater amounts, along with more common minerals and materials as well, along with the rare wildlife, making it incredibly valued to settlers, prospectors, and researchers, and an invaluably many more people, despite the many risks in this alien landscape

>the weed is actual seaweed
>natives who lived in the region cultivated many different varieties of kelp, similar to how corn and potatoes were developed, making it a major crop, due to it's insanely ridiculous growth rate, and the sheer biomass of the plant
>massive forests of kelp blanket many regions of the oceans in the western seas, some wilderness, other big kelp farms
>"Kelpers" in from the great banks banks of Colorado are known in particular for growing a specific breed of kelp, that when dried and smoked, functions as a psychoactive drug

>Africa is a crazy barbarian war world
That part isn't exaggerated

>Arizona near entirely untouched.

I don't think we even provide anything of value.

>Bible belt still there

So close.

>Chicago under water

And nothing of value was lost.

Shame they couldn't have extended that gap a little further down the west coast...

>Korean Peninsula was glassed into oblivion during the Korean War, as the taste of nuclear power after what happened Japan was too much
>the entire place is a huge nuclear wasteland, dangerous mutated creatures, strange cults lead by sorcerers granted powers by the nuclear fires, the greatest is a grotesquely mutated monster of a man, who is planning to unleash great storms of radiation and magic across the globe
>many of the various folklore creatures such as Youkai in Japan are real, along with Wuxia-esque mystical weeaboo magic and shit

Not all of it. Chicago's a big city.

Well I'm from Utica and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "frozen wasteland".

Maybe Chicago extents out into the ocean, with canals and waterways going every which direction, kinda like Venice but on a larger, more technologically advanced scale, with huge skyscrapers quite literally coming out of the oceans. The city would designed much more with a walking commute in mind. Have huge systems of bridges and canals crisscrossing the city, large amounts of water traffic through the city's canal systems, houseboats and shit are common. The heavy amount of islands (seriously there are so fucking many islands in the Aegean it's insane) means that the city could extent to around many of them, while they'd probably be reserved for shit like parks, or really large buildings like stadiums or whatever, and would probably be heavily landfilled. Chicago being a shitty city would be made worse, since sewage would be probably dumped into the canals, and since it would probably be a very dense city since it would lack the possibility of roads, crime would probably be much harder to monitor.

>Tennessee
>Not Tenessea
You had one Job.

That sounds really awesome. A huge city on stilts and platforms where pedestrians go about their daily business just a scant few meters away from giant trade ships navigating their way through a maze of walkways, jetties, and the numerous smaller boats that the locals use.

>Florida the new middle east
PANIC

I like how this map and greentext was likely meant to bait us into rage and instead we're taking it at face value and pic related.

>built in a really shitty environment
>tons of religious nutcases
>has this one city that's ridiculously over-the-top with tons of ridiculous attractions
>somehow has a fuckload of people with too much money, despite ridiculous amounts of poor people
>everyone fucking hates it and doesn't want to ever go there
>said nutcases do tons of stupid shit, not limited but including bestiality
Are you sure Florida wouldn't be any different?

That image loses a little more weight every time you post it in the same week.

Once upon a time, Veeky Forums was renowned for this behavior.

Islamabama?

>yellowstone
>sulphur and heat in a supervolcano
>partially underwater
What does this do to surrounding life?

So would Vegas be Carthage or Venice?

both

I actually haven't posted it in a long ass time (easily over a year), but I'm simultaneously glad to hear it's still in circulation and saddened to hear it's losing its value.

I'm pretty sure that behavior is why the image was made/edited the way it is. I'm just glad I saw a thread where it applied.

No, this was long before that image was made. It was only in the last half decade that the reply of the cossacks became popular on Veeky Forums.

>Ohio unscathed

God is cruel.

This user had a pretty cool idea, having it extend to the surrounding ocean would be cool.
I'd like to imagine that they wouldn't just call it Yellowstone, although no idea who to name it after.

>quite literally
This is a very particular turn of phrase, and as such doesn't stand up to repeated use in a single passage.

I'm sorry user
I usually don't go back over and edit greentext posts, since for some reason my browser and if I delete too many characters the entire text book goes black, and I can't see what i'm looking at, otherwise i'd fix dumb wording shit like that.

No need to be a dick about it though

Wasn't meaning to be a dick, just pointing it out.

So, if I live in Florence, am I still part of the great granducato di toscana 2.0 or am I a filthy Wyoming folk?

meh, it's not a big deal.
Sometimes when you're trying to word things interestingly, if you don't pay attention you do dumb shit like that.

Pretty sure the intention of OP was just to bait people.

Maybe the Mediterranean is still there, and no one brings attention to the fact that it looks nearly the exact same. Maybe the "American Sea" could actually look more different, to keep it from just being the Mediterranean copypasted into the middle of the US, or maybe that's what makes it charming.

had a pretty cool idea. Imagine Florence but more fantastical. Some of the regions of the US could take some influence from some of the regions, but I like the idea that it's a more fantastical version of the real world, and the US just happens to have a FUCKHUEG sea in the middle of it is pretty cool, lots of interesting worldbuilding potential, especially if you run with the idea of the entire world being more fantastical. Maybe some famous historical figures were adventurers or something. Benjamin Franklin and Nikola Tesla were both wizards wielding the power of electricity, Lewis and Clarke were two Rangers who were led by a native Druid, exploring the mysterious alien ash wastes and alien landscapes of Yellowstone, some kinds of shit like that.

Europe would be fun to come up with stuff for, along with the rest of the world, but America seems to be the main focus so far.

fuck meant to quote for that first quotation

That body of water makes no fuxjubf sense Jesus what.the,fuck.

It's the Mediterranean
Literally just the Mediterranean pasted onto continental North America

/wbg/, everyone

As someone from Syracuse I'm,calling bullshit you mob bastard.

Fair enough. Though I mean the US. With a sea level rise would be far more interesting in my book.

>hating the south
Get outta here with that tumblr shit m8

If you ever have been to upstate it is. Though with the recent infusion of Bosnians and Armenians we're becoming the little Baltic instead of NA Sicily.

>Utica is a tropical paradise from some reason compared to the rest of New York

Well, I mean, on one side you have the USA: big land of "we are all United under the old glory flag" on the other hand you have Florence, who Tried to kill Siena (at about a 30 minutes car ride of distance), piombino, lucca, pisa many many Times during the long years of existence.

One should just go with one of the two.
You lose the renaissance feel if you go full USA. You lose the innovation if You go full European.

I mean, its nominally better than Oswego but, everything is really.

Holy shit
youtu.be/IZUmw2UKVdo

>supervolcano
Quasi-plausible explanation for all this: the Yellowstone hotspot was actually a mantle plume that collapsed the crust in the middle of the continent-the Western Interior Seaway of the Cretaceous evolved into an inland sea as the borders of the USA became the rim of a continent-sized caldera

>Bosnians and Armenians
>Baltic

So, the world the way Americans see it?

Shift and rotate the Med so that Gibraltar is San Francisco Bay, and Virginia is Israel-it's OK if it's a bit far north, undersea volcanic activity at Yellowstone keeps the whole thing warm

What about a weak coalition of different states, say like the Holy Roman Empire during its decline? Or an empire fractured like at the end of the Roman Empire?You'd have major players like California with its geograpic importance vying with various trade republics for control of the seas in a world where the idea of maritime neutrality doesn't exist. Or rush as everybody tries to build channels to connect the sea with the atlantic? Sure when the Mexicans come knocking they'll remember their loyalties to one another but you can bet that they'll be back to their backstabbing and conniving way soon after.

That could work.
Having it collapse like that, it doesn't sound implausible that, especially considering the actual size of the magma plume beneath Yellowstone, that it collapsing could result it leaving a massive whole in the earth's crust. Although it would probably leak a lot of shit, since it's a fucking massive hole, it could potentially cause some interesting things to happen, like maybe it could leave Yellowstone ridiculously active, but not have it have crazy explosive eruptions, due to the lack of pressure, having a literal hole in the Earth's crust, like mentioned. Having a fantastical Morrowind-like landscape could help kinda emphasize the fantastical nature of the setting, compared to the real world. Maybe it could extend a bit more into the surrounding states. Volcanic Ash from Yellowstone is already one of the things that makes the Great Plains quite fertile, so maybe you could kick that notch up to eleven, and have the surrounding states like Montana and Idaho follow in suit.

Wouldn't the borders mostly be the Rockies and Appalachian mountains?

Upstate has recently seen a big upswing in Bosnians and Ukrainians the Armenian thing is from left field.

>I now live in Israel/Palestine
As a wh*te devil does this make me a Jew or Arab?

In that scenario the Gulf Coast would be of massive importance as you'd have the Mississippi River offering direct access to the inland sea as well as the Alabama/Tombigbee Rivers through Mobile Bay.

But it contributes nothing. We'd GAIN as a country if it vanished.

That could work.
Still keep the heavy American feel to it, innovation and that, but instead of being one single nation, it's a divided bunch of nations. The US proper could be along the east coast, with New England, the Midwest, and the Chesapeake Bay region, and everything inbetween. The Confederates could still exist, still with animosity between them and the Yankees, with North and South Carolina instead acting as the divide between the North and South. Texas can be off on it's own, it's Texas. California could be a huge player, with direct leads to the Sea. You could have a few free city states scattered around, Las Vegas obviously, and maybe Chicago, considering that it's located on the Dardanelles. Maybe there's another nation located around the American equivalent of the Balkans like Iowa and Minnesota. Maybe the Mormons actually had gotten their shit together good, and have a strong hold on the islands of Wyoming and Utah. The Native Americans might have the Pacific Northwest as their homeland, being the not!-elves of the setting.

I'm just throwing ideas out, seeing what sticks.

>Bosnians and Ukrainians
>Baltic

He probably meant 'Balkan'. Americans and geography, amirite?

>Ukrainians
>Balkan

He probably meant 'Subhuman'. Untermench, amirite?

You can't really have the Civil War play out like it did in real life, huge chunks of both the South and the Union are missing and westward expansion would be super easy compared to the real world.

>submerged Yellowstone
Random roving pumice islands are generated by the submerged volcanic region, what plot hooks do they contain?
Maybe Viking longships from a thousand years ago or a forgotten Chinese treasure fleet, like a maritime space hulk?

>Cyprus is still fucking divided
>New Mexicolorado Carthaginians (even got Lilybaeum)
>Barbarian Canadians
>Egyptian Georgia
I like

Mexico needs a small sea too, chihuahua is a barren sterile desert, they could use a small bay there

Cyberpunk fantasy earth rules by soulless corporations where the player characters are professional criminals hired as deniable assets in the shadowy wars between corporations, as well as hiering out to other indeciduals with the scratch to blow.

>what is shadowrun

Here read this series.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=shadowrun storytime

This would mean that we found a Northern Passage to Asia and would be built up much more quickly with more control by overseas powers. No independent America.

I like the idea of regional pacts or blocks in the vein of the CSA or whatever, but my bureaucracy boner requires them to exist within a convoluted structure of a superstate on the verge of total collapse like the later roman empire, but with the layers of complexity of the HRE. Where the Supreme Governor of California's attempted invasion of the Vegas is cut short by his assassination by Jeffersonian secessionists, and causing the rise of a military junta. Meanwhile, like suggested, the gulf states become rich from a trade network that connect with the Caribbean and South America. This wealth invites neighbors like Texas and Floridain to raid and pirate the bayous and waterways. Meanwhile, the former heartland, lead by a charsmatic young general seek to reunite the divided empire?

>Oklahoma Island
Oklahoma would be a fucking rich person resort instead of the land we gave to the people we hated.

Oh no no, it's a Montpelier expression

We would gain more from you necking yourself faggot.

Making the world more fantastical would definitely make this more feasible. If the US is splintered like this, due to all this crazy shit, having a more fantastical world set a bit further back in history would definitely help. I feel like the start of the 20th century would probably be the best point. Roosevelt is working his ass off to try and keep America from completely falling apart, especially with tensions starting to rise in a more fantastical Europe. The rest of the world, at least for now, can be alluded to as being much more over the top and fantastical as people had been saying earlier, but it's largely a backburner thing. Relatively low magic if any, where for generic wizardry its more "I use science to shoot lightning" than wizards with magic wands, except maybe some Holy Magic with Mormons or Nature Magic with Native Americans or some shit.

I really like the idea of Mormons actually getting a Nation up and running on the "Salt Lake Islands". They consider America to be their Holy Land, so Paladins are actually Crusaders, but the Holy Land doesn't have many Saracens, and we're dealing with Mormons, so you get a bunch of naive Lawful Stupid knights in shining armor wielding holy magic who have absolutely no clue about what kind of shit they're getting themselves into.

Statistically, if you live in the south. We would gain strictly more by you doing that.

All this shit sounds super comfy
>Mormon Paladin looking to make the world a better place
>Dixie Rogue who ran away from home, sailing up and down the coasts and the riverways of the Mississippi River
>Native American Druid adventuring away from his tribe in the Northwest, looking to see the world,
>a Californian Armed Forces deserter, leaving during the failed invasion of the Free City of Las Vegas, trying to atone for the crimes he committed, and find a purpose in life
>a young bespectacled wizard scientist from New England travelling to Yellowstone to research the mysterious alien landscape

Pre-WWI America has such a fucking great aesthetic, I don't know why the fuck it doesn't ever get translated to fantasy very often.