Eldritch Abomination Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/

What's your favorite aberration? Which ones do you think need some love?

>What's your favorite aberration?
Your mom

/thread

I DON'T KNOW
DON JON'S IS DOWN
PANIC

What is the most complex idea that can be conveyed in a single word via the Command spell?

But... thread just started!

>fav Abberation
Beholders always

Grovel

Depends on language

Gibbering Mouther, for no other reason than I find it fun to say.

Defenestrate.

Which paladin oath is the best?

Just posting to let you know that it's OK to reflavor your race as another if you don't like it's flavor.

Is there official material which contains dictionaries for the D&D languages?

You're just jealous you weren't raised by flumphs

Ancients
Aura of resistance to spells is incredibly strong
You can turn Fey & Fiends whilst the party cleric can turn Undead

>I'll refluff my goliath into a halfling, because I'm so funny and randumb!
Do us all a favor and kill yourself.

By wholesale swapping it with another race entirely?
Nah.

In a game where our DM withheld the names of monsters, my group referred to this monster as a "teethmouth".

There's a difference between changing the particulars of your character's birth and giving the Elf heavy armor training and Str+2.

If you can completely change your race in terms of RP, isn't that just another way of saying "you can choose to receive the benefits of any race no matter which race you're actually playing as"?

im fine if the races are related
>im an elf but i want to use half-elf racials
sure, the racials still fit

I'll agree if we're talking treating a half-orc as just a regular good/neutral orc and similar conversions, but it can get out of hand if you go further than that.

There's no difference, it could just be a strong elf.

I'm currently playing a Varient Human as a warforged.
There have been no issues

Zuggtmoy, Demon Queen of Fungi, would see the world consumed by her fungal host. Her followers have brought her knowledge of a cult to Atropus, the World Born Dead. Atropus is bound to unmake living things, to absorb their souls in an orgy of violence, and its approach will surely cause the deaths of all. To Zuggtmoy, the incomprehensible horror of Atropal apocalypse is only a means to an end; once the world is dead, its corpse will provide a utopian breeding ground for her fungal host - and with no one alive to stand in her way.

To this end, she has orchestrated several paths towards realizing the world's death. Her followers have infiltrated the cult of Atropus and support their efforts; other minions have formed cover factions, leading the governing nations of the world to focus on their exploits, keeping the atropal acoyltes in the shadows; and she has begun spreading a violently addictive drug, borne from corrupted myconids raised within the Far Realm.

Whether or not the world ends, Zuggtmoy's influence is spreading, her power growing. She will be happy to sacrifice it all in the apocalypse to come in trade for a world under her dominion - particularly as a stepping stone to further conquest.

What is her drug? What effects does it have? Is it simply addictive and debilitating, or does it affect the mind, opening its imbibers' minds to eldritch influences?

Not that I'm aware of.

In order to avoid the whole "D&D IS TEACHING OUR KIDS WITCHCRAFT" stigma in the 80's and 90's, WotC never actually included guides to speaking the languages of the realms, and it's stuck with us.

That's why we have spells with verbal components, but no one knows what the components are.

Is that an issue to you?

Why this particular human have darkvision? Why is he so slow? Does he have wooden leg?

>tfw using the old casting voice lines for Baldur's Gate
feels good

You're allowed to have a strong elf. The ability score system makes that obvious. It requires more time and effort on the character's part, though, because the race is not predisposed to strength, just like how you can have a dwarf with high dex, but "the dwarves" do not.

I don't get most of the responses to this post. There is no actual mechanical advantage to playing a human with the dwarf statline over just playing a fucking dwarf, it's just reflavoring.

Granted, I generally think that having races give specific bonuses to stats is dumb as fuck and don't see the need to preserve the dwarf's "mechanical" niche in this scenario.

Well that could all be explained in backstory/character description. A short, fat war veteran that fought for years in the Underdark as part of an order of soldiers dedicated to keeping the surface kingdoms safe from intrusions of monsters from the subsurface.

Been used to working in low light conditions, not the most fit person.

It would lead to shit like people playing size small goliaths or elves with the natural armor of tortles or other completely incongruous builds like that.
Allowing a player to adopt the benefits of a similar race, sure. But allowing them to choose the benefits of literally any race, while still claiming their character is of a different race, is dumb.

elf has a UA str based subrace now
Wizards got that covered. fucking elves and tieflings with like 12 n 13 subraces

I don't think races should even exist honestly, your race should be narrative, while mechanical bonuses should he entirely to do with your class or feats.

That's cool if you think that.

But I'm running a 5e game and don't feel like homebrewing the entire class system for one player.

>i always assume when 2 species mix
"A species is often defined as the largest group of organisms in which two individuals can produce fertile offspring, typically by sexual reproduction."

That's only an issue if you mindlessly switch the statlines rather than tell the player which features he can and cannot keep.

It's either that or putting your foot down and telling him he can't do it, but I prefer the former.

Playing Oath of Conquest right now, in battles it gets interesting at level 7 when you get to apply fear and have your aura of conquest freeze enemies in place.
RPing it as being subjectively lawful neutral, but essentially promoting fascism for the sake of peace and order. Of course people are fine with the guard sometimes kicking down their doors if they have nothing to hide. It's a small price to be paid for being able to walk the streets without fearing robbery.

Dumb how? If they can come up with a narrative reason I see no reason, it could even improve the character.

Small Goliath that was mocked for heing a manlet and left the tribe to work eithin the city.
Elf afflicted by a curse that causes his skin to harden into plates.

But realistically speaking, some races are naturally better at certain things than others.
If the races are physically different then it's not unreasonable to expect them to be mechanically different.

If someone uses catapult on a dagger do they deal an extra 1d4 damage?

While I like building stat lines into classes instead of races it leads to interesting narrative issues like why orcs dont have more wizards.

Races giving a bonus to stats is a 3.5 innovation. Older editions capped the maximum they could have in certain stats. Granted, they also restricted what classes specific races could take, but that took barely any effort to homebrew away

Does the elf's curse also somehow remove all the elf-specific benefits from him as well?

>Races giving a bonus to stats is a 3.5 innovation
Try playing AD&D sometime
There were racial maluses too, I kinda miss em.

No

it is always a delicate balancing act to try and make game options have some significance without limiting a player's creative options too much

if all the races are the same then you have infinite freedom in creating your character, but your choices don't really matter

I lean a bit more toward the freedom of creativity but I understand both sides and how it's hard to please everyone

I'd let it deal the weapon's damage, but reduce the 3d8 bludgeoning to compensate. That damage assumes you're throwing a crate, barrel, or some other large blunt object.

>Races giving a bonus to stats is a 3.5 innovation
They gave bonuses in 1e, published 1978.

>Try playing AD&D sometime
They were very small though

>There were racial maluses too, I kinda miss em.
Same

The mechanical ones, yes, they are a tortle mechanically.

>They were very small though
You should go back and look through your AD&D books. There were races that gave +2's and the like.

+2 is worthy a lot less in AD&D

And I was talking about the core races

Sorry, came back from lunch

First of all: I'm misinformed about AD&D since I moslty play Basic, but those bonuses are insignificant when you consider that stats didn't give as many bonuses as in 5e excepting the specific, astonishingly rare, often homebrewed away scenario of Exceptional Strength and that you didn't boost your stats over the character's career. I believe there were rules for it in Unearthed Arcana, but no one used them and it's something like a cumulative percentile roll at each levelup to get a +1

2 ability points is the difference between getting top tier spells and not. If you max out before the +2 you're looking at some resistances, to say nothing of the bonus spells clerics get based off of WIS.

Halflings

>warlock fireballs cave filled with oil and explosives
>they are in it
>they know and have avoided igniting any of it
>warrior and paladin are fighting an ogre right next to the largest pile, where the fireball is aimed

TPK

how should I have handled that

Why do people want Warlock as a Int class? Because there is a lack of them? Because it stops lock dipping? Because they think it makes sense thematically?

TPK

Players did dumb shit and died. They only have themselves to blame.

With no other context, exactly as you did. If you use a fucking fireball inside a cave which you already know is filled with oil and explosives, any bad that comes out of it is entirely your fault

What level was the party?

D) All the above

all of the above

the party was pretty pissed off at the warlock

lvl 5

Yes, yes, and yes. IIRC, even the early versions had Warlocks as Int-based.

Wisdom saving throw DC 10.
If he succeeds tell him that his character has enough foresight to know that such an action will kill everyone, and explain how.
At least that's how I do it when a player tries to commit sudoku through stupidity.

All 3 for me
We only have 1 Int class but 3.5 cha classes.
If they were int it'd stop dipping by sorcs and paladins, and none of wizards features can be broken with a warlock dip.
And the class is thematically about acting recklessly in order to unearth forbidden knowledge.

Good. I hope the player(s) learned something.

I mean, what the fuck else did he think would happen?

Personally I'd ask the players to roll new characters, but it depends on how "narrative" the campaign was already and if anyone in the group goes crazy with backstories, etc.

Ask everyone if they want new characters or stick to their current ones, and say they miraculously survived the cave-in, but give them lasting wounds

>Are you aware of the explosives?

And if it won't change his mind proceed to TPK.

Mostly the last thing for me.
I actually think lock dipping with wizard would be even worse than with sorcerer.

I find it makes more sense as charisma than int

you are commanding powers granted to you from an outside source through sheer will, perhaps even struggling against your pact enitity's desire to dominate you

if you were really intelligent, you would probably have just studied magic on your own anyway

imo wizard probably just needs to be less of a generalist class, or make INT-based subclasses for other classes

There's one player in my current campaign who clearly keeps making decisions to fuck with the DM. He's not playing murderhobo, but he keeps killing NPCs the DM obviously wants us to interrogate, avoiding encounters he obviously wants us to take, and disregarding all hooks he can make out. It's getting a little annoying, especially when we can't stop him. Am I in the right for thinking he's a bit of a dick?

He's definitely being a bit rude, but from a different perspective, he's just avoiding the railroad

look, he long conned me. ok.

>abyssal tiefling warlock using Soren from MTG token
>asked to use devils sight to make his eyes turn red when he uses it. I said ok.
>ordered a large baggy robe with roses on it
>describes his eldritch bolt as a jagged blue energy beam that resembles lightning
>uses mirror image and his red eyes to try and fool / intimidate people
>drops into a mexican accent when hes trying to act cool
>is dark and brooding and frequently friendly fires for the greater good
>the weak shall fear the strong
>finally clicks that he is a naruto character when he starts taking peoples eyeballs

What are some things for wizards to do during down time? Talking about experiments, inventing, making blue prints, writing. Any good ideas?

>'We want to follow [insert hook here]'
>'lmao but my character doesn't'
>'Well your character can fuck off then'
?

Without an object for the verb, that's meaningless. You'd have to use "autodefenestrate" instead.

@

Ok guys, opinions. Half-Elf Stone Sorcerer, with higher Con and Str than Cha. Maul everything to death while throwing out buffs and non-save-related area control. Fun?

That's hilarious, I am no longer mad at this warlock

>fuk u DM, I dun wanna be in ur plot
If he has no character reason to behave this way, fuck him. He can make a new character that wants to participate.

this was not done as a joke.

>Non-save related area control
Like...fog cloud and sleep? Sounds dumb to me senpai, just play an EK.

Dex is the better route

Bards are far too situational. Discuss.

Then it's doubly hilarious

That's a legitimate criticism when you don't word it to sound silly. I mean, if the whole group other than him is clearly trying to play nice with the DM, yes, his behavior is pointless and inappropiate.

But in the majority of cases, people don't usually see having a "plot" which you expect the party to strictly adhere to as a good thing. The DM is not hardcore railroading either since otherwise that character would get penalized or already be dead, so that's good, but there is a reason why railroading is a dirty word.

If a bard is situational, I don't want to see what you'd say about the fighter

How so? I figured I'd be more relevant in combat with Str and Con, since Con raises my base AC.

Forcing disadvantage on attack rolls as a cantrip that deals psycic damage at low levels is useful as shit.

Spell kenning is great, better if you take action-economy smart spells like spiritual weapon/etc.

Built-in gishery

Most powerful social class

Most powerful skill class

Healing

Damage types that are hard to replicate

Competent melee/ranged

Probably the least situational class. I have never been in a situation as a bard where I could not contribute if I have the resources to do so.

This guy is apparently joining the party on their adventure, whereupon they are finding ways to participate in some plot. This guy is looking at these ways to work toward resolving said plot, and saying "Nah, let's just not."

This is only excusable if the character has an actual reason to fight against the avenues of influencing the plot. Otherwise, he needs to get his shit together.

Also,
>muh railroad
Oh good, so as a DM I can just stop doing prep work of any kind, because then I'm making something approaching a plotline, and as you all know, the players should determine the plotline. That's why we have a rulebook reference equipped with an RNG run the game.

More of a general DnD question, but which books from which editions are the best to go to to get at cosmology/metaphysics stuff?

Going to be playing in a new campaign soon, and was thinking about playing as a Kenku.

What are some interesting builds/class choices for a Kenku? I mean, it seems that Rogue or Monk are the obvious choices, but I was also eyeing something like Bard...

Thoughts?

Planescape

Bard could be cool. Anything involving acting or entertainment is a fun way to use Kenku abilities.

Prep should be to handle the party's possible courses of action, not preplanning the story. It's more efficient, easier, and you prevent pointless railroads

Do you intend to play the mimicry element?
Then no. Kenku are terrible for more than one shot. Amazing for 1shots, awful for more

I was intending to play up the mimicry trait, yes.
So, why awful for more than a one shot?