How would you order an extremely high-magic society where every person has some magical ability?

How would you order an extremely high-magic society where every person has some magical ability?

To use DnD spell system (because I think that's the one most people here are familiar with):
>40% can at least use cantrips
>30% can use 1st and 2nd level spells
>20% can use 3rd to 5th level spells
>15% can use 6th and 7th level spells
>4% can use 8th level spells
>1% can use 9th level spells

And this requires no special training or learning. These people will develop ability to use these spells as naturally as walking.

Now, assume you are given the Mandate of Heaven to rule this civilization which is in its early bronze age. You are immortal and most of your laws and regulations will be followed as long as you don't rule too cruely and don't bring suffering to the people.

establish some form of dragonage circle of magi to keep them away from the normies
but give the trustworthy ones opportunities to leave the tower

if the 1% arent able to secure control of the entire universe solely because of the availability of wish and other reality bending type spells, the 6th+ level spellcasters greatly outnumber and lock them away to keep their 9th level casting under control

Go hard on education with a priority on emotional stability, empathy, and happiness.

If people get mad enough to start shit then everything is going to go nuclear super fast.

Who counts as normies here?

The exact same way people label "normies" in real life.

Anyone outside of an isolated social group.

Okay, but in society where everyone IS a magi, even a piss poor one, who do you isolate in a Circle?

Who's the smallest social group?

reasonable precautions that utterly everyone is unlikely to implement because "pfff it'll never happen to US"

@OP, expect lots of cantrip cheesery.

The scenario implies that the people will listen to me so long as I don't go slaughtermaster.

In this case it would be anyone who can't cast 3rd level spells

probably like a school or like a military

How often can they cast these spells? Can high level individuals cast lower level spells more often as well? Are people proportionately D&D tough?(by which I mean can someone who can cast a fireball that would kill large numbers of lower level individuals survive dropping the same fireball on themselves)

Also edition is key here. The 1-5%(9/8th) are always going to have a significant advantage, but the gap is larger 3.5 than it is in 5e. The sheer gap in personal capabilities that is implied means that a massive degree of stratification is inevitable, but exactly how strict and where the caste boundaries will be drawn are more system dependent.

Also whether magical ability level is inheritable or not.(or if it's weakling inheritable rather than strongly) Will have a massive influence on how society can shake out.

Personally I'd do my best to protect the status of even the lowest classes, but if every level of stratification can easily put out enough damage to kill many members of the lower level I'm not sure how far "equal rights" can go.

I didn't really think about casts per day.
Let's say it depends, if the individual doesn't really practice and relies on natural talent than his casting works like warlock's but if he actually tries to improve his spellcasting then he has casts per day like a sorcerer.

The magical ability from parent to child varies. It could be the same, but it could be a tier or two lower or higher. In very rare cases it can be the complete opposite side of the ladder.

For edition, let's go with 5.

Take a look at the setting of the Divinity game. Even the lowliest bar brawl can wind up with people throwing fireballs around the room.

>because I think that's the one most people here are familiar with
I never played nor read any D&D material in my life.
I'm playing TTRPGs since '98.

>high magic
>Vancian spells
Shiggy.

Well good for you. Doesn't change the fact that most people have.

I am using DnD as a comparison of power levels that is familiar to everyone.

It seems to me that the way you worded the last part makes it guaranteed that you'll succeed in building a utopia with any honest effort, since you're basically already in a utopia, given that everyone does what you tell them so long as it's not cruel or destructive. If everyone is already living in harmony you don't even need the magic, nor would the magic cause problems, since you can just make laws against causing problems and they'll be followed. Am I missing something?

Make a beeline for Industrial Revolution and magitek based on combining modern technology with a wizard did it.
Also, figure out how to cast spells mechanically to eliminate a bottleneck.
Mass-produce stat-boosting artifacts, preferably implantable ones, which also grant more spells.
Establish a Federation of United Demiplanes.
Meet an alternative version of us when exploring the Plane of Shadow.
Rival the Abyss until they can't afford it any more and are forced to become hangers-on.
Use Hades as a Neutral Zone between us and the Nine Hells.
Barely survive an encounter with an equally high-level undead cult which seeks to assimilate all life.
Get our top diplomat constantly trolled by a trickster deity.

Yes, you are missing people being power hungry dicks.

Maybe I misphrased the last part, but it is there to tell you that you will be obeyed initially, at least, because people both respect and fear you, but the obedience is not unconditional and there will be those who think they would do better job in your shoes or whose personal interests are in conflict with your vision for the society.

You're better off making magic users your nobility. Since it's already an aristocracy, with you ruling supreme, you're in a perfect position to cultivate a true, by the book Platonic aristocracy.

Eberron

>Even the lowliest bar brawl can wind up with people throwing fireballs around the room.
And then a town councilor ends up dead?
Or some random dude gets told he is the "Marked One" and gets zapped?