/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
We got shades, but no leather jacket and Nike sneakers yet, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-01-18 - Still getting worked on & now has 21844 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-01-02!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Lyran stronk!

Yes!

Post Lyran mechs.

Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the Lyran boobies will jiggle!

>Post Lyran mechs.

They make Bushwackers on Tharkad, don't they?

For some reason it amuses me that even with such a seemingly simple profile, everybody's take on the Bushwacker is a bit different. A side effect of the original art being a little incomprehensible, I guess.

STOP!

Mackie time.

>Mackie time.

My attempt at applying the Dougram aesthetic to the Mackie design has left me with something I don't even feel like finishing. My son offered to colour it for me with his crayons.

CT guns not low enough.
'Cause you know he be stylin' the twin penors.

>Spoiler
No-one at my LGS has yet figured out why my Mackie is named "The Lizard King"

>CT guns not low enough.

I took some inspiration from Alex's version (, conveniently enough), but this also resulted in my deciding not to make the left arm just a swivel stick, which I think is part of what makes the Mackie ... well, the Mackie!

... that, and the crotch-turret, of course. Those kind of weapons always remind me of the concealed belly gun on the Millennium Falcon.

Does anybody else think the Battlemaster's seat there looks like Minmay in her formal hostess get-up, or am I just seeing a face on Mars?

Goddamn that is a sexy mech.

What Mech?

I can't love the hatchetman. It is just too slow and too lightweight for a melee mech.

Axman works because it is 30 tons heavier for same speed. Hatchetman is just kind of anemic.

Gotta say you're marsfacing.

The Hatchie is a proof-of-concept design, and it's frankly obsolete by the late fifties. The Nightsky is the fulfillment of that concept, and a much better tool all around.

(try iJJs on your spare Hatchetman frames though. Trust me.)

Have the Lyran answer to the Rokurokubi. Imagine a beefed-up Commando crossed with a Scarabus.

>too lightweight for a melee mech.
I have 30 tons of pure hate that would disagree

How do we Purpleburd a Nightstar?

I was gonna say ERLLs instead if the PPC, but then I realized that'd just be a crappier devastator
In all honesty it's burd enough as-is

Swap one to an SB gauss maybe?

Replace the ERPPC and MPLs with a Blazer and two regular MLs?
The SB-gauss always struck me as more Solaris/merc than FWL

Well, the Carronade's got the same GR/SBGR combo, and it'd give it some critseeking. The Blazer swap sounds fun though, I like that idea.

Scarabus works because of its speed. It can axe other lights or get behind heavier opponents, something the Hatchetman struggles to do.

PPC replaced with ER LL, GRs replaced with Lights, armour reduced until you can upgrade the engine to 4/6.

I feel like it doesn't really need critseeking; if anything, it's the holepuncher that it's lancemates take advantage of with the inevitable LRMs

Is replacing a Vindicators PPC with a Large laser and another LRM-5 a semilikely field conversion? I am aware that simply stuffing the as many rocket launchers as possible into a hole is the usual go-to field conversion, but I was hoping for something a BIT less ghetto.

So it is basically the VND-1SIC ?

Yes, it's not uncommon before 3029, and after that it's outright standard for St.Ives vindicators

>PPC replaced with ER LL, GRs replaced with Lights, armour reduced until you can upgrade the engine to 4/6.

Depressingly, exactly the sort of refit it would probably get. At least you don't have to remove armour though.

Yep, it's literally a -9FC (that is, the fedcom nightstar that fedcomfags never actually use) but with LGRs instead of LBX-10s

I regret nothing.

You take that back! The existence of the JagerMech and NSR-9FC proves that the writers do give us shit 'Mechs to balance the factions! I used nothing but 3025 Riflemen and JagerMechs to fight the Clans and am definitely not a powergamer!

You shouldn't regret anything.

I've always wondered why the Hatchetman, given its originating state, never got an energy zombie variant. You could put 2 LLs, 2 MLs, and 2 HS with a Hatchet and near-max armour on the thing and it would actually be good at its job.

>ERLLs instead of the ERPPC
There's a Fafnir refit that's sporting two gauss rifles and an ERLL
But you can't have it fuck off burd that is my favorite 2goose mech.

Who is the GOAT mechwarrior?

Kai and Nasty K. No competition, no question.

Is there even a need to guess?

Grey Noton
Man consistently murdered fucking Awesomes and Atlases and Stalkers piloted by the best pilots around in a STOCK RIFLEMAN-3N
Nobody can stay up with that

Kai Allard-Liao is probably the best of them all.

Kai is flat-out said to be both IC and OOC. He's also got the skill levels and special rules to support it.

I have been overseas for a few years, so forgive me if I am out of the loop. Can someone please tell me why strategic operations goes for thousands of dollars now?

>pic related...

Pricing bots.

They track sales prices and extrapolate the maximum price a full retard might buy the item for.

I remember when I wanted to get a copy of the BT Companion and Amazon had it listed for somewhere around 6.5 grand. Needless to say, a sale was not made.

Idk man, even Amazon has it for like $1400. Im gonna list my copy. Cash the fuck out bros!

Hmm. It either has to include UAC10s or Light Gauss. I'd suggest the UAC10s myself, since it's already packing the LB-X'es.
Any remaining weapons become standard or ER versions of lasers. You could potentially focus on keeping it snipey by making the GR into LGR, effectively making it into an FWL Vanquisher

Yeah, abort on the previous comments about the LB-X'es. I recently got my hands on an LB-X config and my mind was wandering.

Still, Purple Burd'ing the Nightstar either makes it into a faster Vanquisher sans C3i, or it makes it into a UAC10 platform.

I don't have a sheet for it on my computer but I just made some changes to it that seemed common sense:
>downgraded speed to 3/5
>upped SI to 120
>armour to 1956 tons of Lamellor Ferro-Carbide to give it facings of 358 fore, 344 fore l/r, 325 aft l/r, and 332 aft
>cleaned up some of the weapons like dropping SPLs, switching NL-35s and NL-55s to NL-45s for uniformity, added screen launchers, etc
>still retains almost 70k in cargo space

Makes it a lot more survivable and potent a heavy cruiser.
I'm a guy who likes his heavy cruisers.

>narn cruiser
My pouch kin

Narn ships are aesthetic as fuck.

What mechs would the Narn use? Something low tech, reliable and packing heavy power.

So, Lyran stuff?

>low tech
>lyran
I kinda see the Narn as being like the Taurians: eternally vengeful and damaged as a culture by their past as a victim of aggression. But you're right one thing, they would use Lyran designs due to their solid nature, just lower tech versions. So stuff like the Hatchetman or Commando mistake/retcon would fit them.

Rolling with that comparison, the old Taurian staples Thunderbolts and Warhammers sound right up their alley as well.

Definitely. The Reunification War reminds me some of the Narn-Centauri war. Attempts by one side to maintain a mobile defense that ends in orbital bombardments by the other.

Narn ships can suck a dick. Best ship coming through.

>[soap opera intensifies]
>"you slept with my toasterfu!"
lol that ship was shit and the show went to shit in season 3 and never came back

Psshaw. Best ship is obviously Ben Sisko's Motherfucking Pimphand

Even as a Trekkie at heart, c'mon guys, best ships coming through here.

They're ok.

This more your speed?

That's okay, but I wish we had stuff like this in BT.

I get hard just looking at Excelsior.

I'd say that doesn't go too well with the BT aesthetics, but that's just my opinion.

I used to love Y-wings, but when you have to kill every MFer in the damn galaxy, B-wings.
Sucks The Last Jedi didn't have any upgraded versions of them, and also that the movie sucked.

I'd also add the capital ships from Silpheed for Dos and Silpheed Sega CD.

I'm not going to lie, in terms of non BT spacecraft that I feel would fit with the BT aesthetics and ship statlines, I feel like the Terrans from firestorm armada would probably work best.

They don't have sails and they don't have docking collars, but they fit alot better than most other scifi ships.

I rarely do this anymore, but this design felt a little... well, like, something that "clicked". Felt logical.

Jesus christ, please stop posting unrelated po-faced cunts in BT threads. That thing right at the start of the thread puts me off my breakfast. Goddamn giant robot boner killer.

Your mechs look better in our camo

>Sucks The Last Jedi didn't have any upgraded versions of them

Given that they served the same general purpose and the same design aesthetics, I'd say the bombers were intended as your updated B-wing. Remember, B-wings weren't meant for dogfighting, they were anti-ship fighters.

I can forgive the entirety of Season 4 because we got Pegasus, Resurrection, Razor, and Exodus.

The drop-off in quality for S4 was calamitous, absolutely.

Good.

That is true, but if you know how to tinker with the power ratings on X-Wing Alliance, it can do pretty well.

Why are the file types for mechs on Megamek called "mtf"? Does that mean mechs are male-to-female?

No, the pilots are.

Yes. That is definitely what the file extension means. It is certainly not short for ManiFesT file.

Take your shitty /pol/ bait and go.

It's "Mech to Female", the MegaMek people are planning on doing a Kancolle-esque Battlemech waifu game next.

God made jumping jack, not jill!

>/pol/ is to soyboys as Jews are to /pol/
heh

Did the Diamond Sharks take part in any fight in Operation Revival prior to Tukayyid? How well did they do on Tukayyid?

Psst. It was a joke, Don't be so over sensitive. It's Saturday.

They didn't fight the IS but they did have some Trials against other Clans for stuff in that time.

They were completely BTFO'd on Tukayyid. One Cluster was left with just two warriors and one commander was deemed to have fucked up so badly they stripped him of his Bloodname.

Not him but seriously just chill, ok?

Anybody else like the rakshasa? I feel like it gets too much flak for not being a timberwolf; judged on its own merits, it's a solid cavalry mech.

They fought alongside the Falcons on several worlds.

I do actually like the Rakshasa. I think it's a solid, if unexciting, design and does take some flak it doesn't deserve. 8/10 would pilot in a campaign

Why is the right side angled but the left isn't?

It's solid, it has a cool name, plus I actually like it fluff-wise. As the shitty unloved knockoff of the franchise poster child it's basically the Battlemech equivalent of pic related.

But I think if they were ever going to redesign the 3055 mechs, it might be even more fun to actually make it a mashup of Marauder and Catapult parts, a literal Inner Sphere Mad Cat.

My only beef with it is the lack of CASE and that Artemis IV is just kinda crap. Fortunately, those issues can be solved easily and simultaneously

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be but Plog has just fucked up the perspective there.

lol

Post happy mechs

On the left: "Highlander-senpai noticed me!"

(and please, no, none of that shit-tier ship aesthetic. it's actually worse than the current aesthetic)

All shitty opinions because this exists.

This begs a question for me. Should Battletech Aerospace Fighters be drawn as essentially modern fighter jets, or...

...more like contemporary space planes?

Both. And also every weird shape in-between. They're like dropships. Some excel in atmosphere and some are shit, and their shapes should reflect that entire range.

I kind of meant in terms of texturing, I guess. You could draw any one design with either aesthetic. How beefy should they be? How sleek? Does pic related make for an ASF or is it too slim and slick?

For reference, here is a 100 ton plane capable of reentry and maneuvering in space and in atmosphere. That's what that looks like. Is that the kind of aesthetic you associate with an Aerospace Fighter or does it not scratch your "Danger Zone" itch?