>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

previously on Modern General

QOTT:
If you had to choose Eldrazi Temple or Expedition Map to be banned, which would you choose and why?
Personally I'd ban Expedition Map. Smooths the curve into Urzatron too well and doesn't axe any other legitimate strategy.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/378270#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghalta-power-ramp/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-66-21-tix-modern-8-whack-goblins
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghalta-power-ramp/?cache=2018-01-20 18:48:13.188267
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/skeleton-faceroll/
gatheringmagic.com/andrewjessup-02272017-stop-playing-bad-modern-decks/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>taxfag can't deal with tron

btfo

Ban pyretic ritual

This isn't Modern related but it is closer to Modern Relevancy then Standard or EDH to me.

I got a box of Conspiracy: Take the Crown recently and have done several drafts with less then 8 Players, I now have 6 packs left. What should I do with them? Just open them to see what I got and add stuff to my attempt at a cube, or wait and use the packs in some sort of Chaos or Mixed draft.

Fuck no
Storm is the funniest deck in modern

just open 'em and binder the goods or play flip/rip for fun

Nothing in them that makes me regret just opening them instead of drafting them. Something like Arcane Savant or Soveirgn's Realm are the type of thing that woulda made me regret it, all the draft specific cards were shitty.

If you didn't play tribal kithkin in modern you wouldn't be saying autistic shit like this

kithkin is a stax deck though isnt it

Do you think Master 25 not having Modern in the name means it won't be Modern oriented? Maybe a mix between Eternal and Modern?

To the goblins guy:
Look up 8whack
mtggoldfish.com/deck/378270#paper

Should I finish mono green stompy or build mono red gy/hollow one?

Decided to whip up Eldrazi Tron, with my intent being to make it as shitty as possible. I run one of each titan, colossus of Akros, steel hellkite, dumb shit like that.

I still haven't lost a game. This archetype is too goddamn good.

Map should 100% be banned. Eldrazi temple is also a problem, but more people are playing moon again, so an outright ban isn't necessary

>Come to these threads thinking I'll see actualy discussion about the format

>Most of the posts are about fucking shitty tier 1000 decks

Holy shit

I think my deck choices are starting to rattle people at my LGS. What do I do.

Probably because the T1 decks have been discussed to death. What else is there to say?
At least with T1000 decks you can have some actual discussion about how to make it not too shit.

Rate my garbage tier 1000 deck
Tips appreciated. I feel like more burn and less green creatures / stompy would be beneficial.
The gimmick would be getting blood sun via idyllic tutor, making the shocks act like duals. Not sure what to do with that gimmick.

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Goblin Guide
3x Burning-Tree Emissary
2x Idyllic Tutor
1x Blood Moon
2x Path to Exile
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Wild Nacatl
4x Experiment One
4x Kird Ape
4x Flinthoof Boar
2x Boros Charm
1x Blood Sun
1x Wear // Tear
4x Mountain
4x Forest
4x Plains
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Stomping Ground

If you want something real gimmicky for blood sun, play the karoo lands, they're just amazing sol lands after a bloodsun.

It's going to have goodies for all the formats.

I feel pretty much confident in every matchup as mono blue turns, but Jund is a bit tricky. If I can't land a howling mine or dictate of cruphix before they resolve Liliana, I'm fighting a tough uphill battle. Any tips? My mainboard is solid but the sideboard is very much open to change:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/

Just played against pox and man is that matchup a coinflip. If he has a turn 1 thoughtseize/duress, I've pretty much lost. If I can resolve a mine or DoC before I'm empty, I pretty much win.

Jund is a bit of a pain; aside from creature-combo like Infect/Kiln Fiend and other aggressive decks like Burn/Zoowhacker, it's probably one of the tougher matchups, just the way she goes dude.
A pithing needle in the board can be a good and cheap option, and works against other difficult matchups like Druid combo which I tend to group as creature-combo these days (if you don't kill Druid, they untap and win ala Kilnfiend/Infect)

Other than that I'm saving up for 2 copies of Ancestral Vision in the sideboard (arguable for maindeck as it's worse than a Mine imho, but against Jund they are a blessing), and also a singleton copy of Day's Undoing in the sideboard.
Day's Undoing is experimental but you'll notice that games vs Jund often lead with them handhating/decay etc all your Mines and slamming a threat or a Lilly, leaving you with extraneous Time Warps in hand and no engine left. Normally this fucking sucks, in this situation you jam out whatever Warps you can and you're left with a bunch of landdrops and an empty hand, but a Day's Undoing off the top can flip this around completely (might also give you Gigadrowse/Remand/Dictate to play on their turn as well)

I'm also packing a TiTi which while arguable, is a nice additional 2drop "Mine" they need to Decay/Seize etc; basically since they tend to focus on being hyperreactive to cuck all your shit, being proactive with the cards you slam can stretch their ressources.
I bring in Jace VP too even though he's bolt bait, pushing for a critical mass of must-answers instead of permission spells seems to work better.

Hope this helps.

Definitely, thanks a lot turnbro.
Thoughts on this li'l fella?

>tfw you realize this card isn't legal in Modern

RIP the Ghalta dream

god damn it Infect ruins everything

>modern
>not trash
>le epic memedern xD
>laughs in real format
next you will complain water is wet

>turn four supreme verdict to stabilize
>pic related slaps your deck on the ass
what do

Bolt the little shit once it resolved.

im just thankful berserk isnt legal

>turn 4
>5 mana

exiled a simian?

Really like everything about the card, but realistically suffers from being a creature in an otherwise creatureless deck. Giving Fatal Push a target feels bad compared to regular ol' Howling Mine, all things considered though he won't be killed as often postboard and is a neat Commander.
Beautiful card though and looks hella, just has the Magus of the Moon syndrome

Here is the new deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghalta-power-ramp/

>yfw wotc drops modern as a supported format after arena is released so they can focus only on standard in paper and digital format

alright tg how do we break pic related

So should I run one more Serra Avenger (I already have on main board) or one more Copter on monowhite d&t?

>>Most of the posts are about fucking shitty tier 1000 decks
So you hate good discussion?

if you have to ask how to break a 7 mana spell, you probably should not be playing said 7 mana spell

serra

copter is bad

help me fix this please

i need help, im brewing a B/R goblins deck with warren instigator, im out of ideas of goblins i could cheat in

Heres the list so far.
tips would be nice

[spoilers] i know the sideboard is shit dont bulli too much

Update, added in zo-zu for Prime time matchups

in the SB that is

drop the black, drop instigators and anything over cmc 3 add more burn

as much as it seems on paper your instigator will never damage an opponent, it will be killed or blocked by something much bigger t2 and you will be combo'ed out or they boardwipe t4 and you will be left with no hand and/or drawing 1/1s till they kill you

8 whack list from 2 years ago might be a place to start

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-66-21-tix-modern-8-whack-goblins

Updated this list

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghalta-power-ramp/?cache=2018-01-20 18:48:13.188267

Scute Mob or Slumbering Dragon?

Enter the Unknown, Sakura-Tribe Scout or Arbor Elf?

More or less lands? More Generator Servants?

pls rate my skeleton tribal deck, no bully

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/skeleton-faceroll/

I mean they've been trying to kill modern for years now so I don't think I'd be too shocked.

modern was basicly created because people got angry they couldn't use any cards, nobody played vintage and 36 people played legacy, now the only formats played are standard and edh, its only that collectors are sitting on all the modern masters unopened boxes that the product sold at all and now hasbro want to sell off wotc its done, stick a fork in it

>and now hasbro want to sell off wotc
Lol, wut?

>give some power back to standard
>un-retire the landwalk and regen mechanics and evergreen them again
>Acknowledge Frontier as a official format (basically nu-extended)
>clean out R&D and knock MaRo from design lead

did i fix it?

>Acknowledge Frontier as a official format (basically nu-extended)
Memerange: the format 2

Yes, please make Frontier an actual thing. Abzan Midrange and UR Ensoul were some of my favorite Standard decks to play. Bant CoCo would be awesome as well.

Frontier needs to happen eventually. If Wizards want to lower the power level of standard in order to "open up more design space" they need to acknowledge that 95% of cards printed under that design motif are going to be worthless after rotation.

Where does Frontier start from?

M15 onward i belive.

What needs to happen is a legacy replacement. I would love to see a format with the modern border but including ancillary sets. Just a format of cards printed 2003 and beyond.

Frontier starts with M15, when the boarders changed to the curved bottom and the holo-stamped rates. Great starting point, in my opinion.

MaRo has gone on record as saying that if they ever made a Frontier-like format, it would start at Origins, when they really started lowering the power of Standard sets as a whole and they don't have to deal with "troublesome" cards like Seige Rhino, Collected Company and fetchlands.

Wotc is retarded, but not that retarded. They've openly acknowledged that Modern is extremely popular. As long as Modern Masters rakes in the shekels, they'll support it.
Modern is played a lot.
Alpha Investments conspiracy theory.
Frontier does not need to happen, ever. Wotc can barely support the formats it has now.

nah, fetchlands is stilla problem. It should start at Origins.

>Alpha Investments conspiracy theory
I just want to say that I think anyone who makes youtube videos about Magic, that are not deck techs/games/drafts, should do us a favir and set themselves on fire.

>MagicManSam
>lore and story channels
>Nizzahon top 10 lists
>Judge's Corner
>History channels

maybe you should set yourself on fire

>fetchlands is stilla problem
Not anymore

You are now realizing that no-fun hate cards serve an important purpose.

>art, lore and history that no one cares about
>A judge series that you shouldn't care about if you READ THE FUCKING RULES
At least Nizzahon plays games, but top ten lists are cancer.

Judge's Corner is still a thing? I thought they stopped a long time ago.

>Chalice of the Void serves an important purpose

Yes.

nobody cares about you

only thing going on in the judges corner is fucking children

No, it doesn't. It's a thorn in the side of every format it's legal in.

>every format
brainstorm baby detected. What's wrong, no idea how to play when your broken card is gone?

Yes, it does. Don't play a deck that doesn't fold to it and you won't have a problem. That some people hate it tells me that it's doing exactly what it should be doing.

>Don't play a deck that folds to it and you won't have a problem
Fixed. I swear I'm not drunk.

Honestly I want to play eldrazi tron just because chalice of the void is so brutal.

is Eldrazi & Taxes still the most popular DnT variant in modern?

Humans has a similar sort of game plan.

About equally popular to thalia and taxes.

You're thinking of the wrong card, user

ayy lmao
Is there even a deck in Modern than runs Thorn of Amethyst?

>opponent has mage on path for forever
>wait patiently while i fish for a second displacer
>bait a block for mage to see if i can fish a path out of his hand
>it works
>tries to path my displacer
>vial in another displacer, blink the other displacer
>he spellquellers his own path
>attacks for whatever, i blink pontiff for -1s
>my turn
>swing all
>he blocks with that spellqueller
>blink the creature he blocked
>blink pontiff for +1/+1
>10 damage for exactsies

UWx Hurloon Minotaurs mirror is kind-of AIDS

Is he right?

gatheringmagic.com/andrewjessup-02272017-stop-playing-bad-modern-decks/

it's just social engineering. narrowing the field of possible matchups makes it easier to metagame.

>Just play a deck that mainboards 4 Ensnaring Bridge and 4 Dismember!
Why was Eldrazi winter even a thing lmao

Maybe if you're a professional player whose job it is to play magic, and you have time to get good with multiple decks as the meta changes. With a field so wide right now, you'll be rewarded on your knowledge with your own deck more than anything, and you'll get more practice in with a deck you like. I'd hate to be a bad dredge player if the meta shifts towards more graveyard hate any time.
I do agree on his assessment on eldrazi tron though, deck had nothing but MTGO league results for months and people over rated it massively.

>no fun allowed
Alpha Investments is the best Youtube channel. Not just magic related, the best all around.

So right now the best sleeves are Dragon Shield Matte Art, right?
Do you think their non-art line will be updated as well? Because I'd like to get the Copper ones, I don't like the Art ones that released in January,

If only old KMC were recognizable from the new ones.

Out of those 2, Serra Avenger. You could also consider Selfless Spirit as a 2 Flying drop

Lately Mono White version has been getting better positioned.

I built a uw dnt list and I've been loving the flickering and sideboard tech at my lgs. Herkylls recall is so much fun to use against all the people who play lantern here.

I feel like saying it's the best is hyperbole, but I like the concept from a business standpoint. This dude is working the market, I gotta give him credit.

>Dude these Rivals of Ixalan boxes are full of money!
Hahaha. Sure thing, Rudy.

I'm sure from a bulk opening perspective it's profitable but prices fall off so soon after release.

>UWx Hurloon

what?

oh wow

so the modern community is "inbred" because they're playing what they want to instead of playing the same 4 decks

I see now

This is the thread for discussing the Modern format of Magic. Several of the cards in your deck are not modern legal. I'm all for brewing shitty decks and helping them be less shitty, but please educate yourself on the bare minimum criteria for a modern deck before asking for advice on how to improve one.

2/3s for 3

why are you playing vanilla 2/3s in modern