Eldritch Abomination Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/

Since there's no question I'll do the honor:
What do you do to make monster races distinct from each other? Do you play goblins, orcs, kobolds, etc. by the book or do you put your own spin on things?

No thread question?

Also I made a vitality system that is a modified version of Mearl's UA vitality system. Constructive feedback is appreciated

I play them by the book

Whenever I put my own spin on things it's a new race.
I still borrow the statblocks of other monsters though because I'm lazy like that and it isn't like anyone will notice.

When will WotC release the next book? Any info available?

May sometime, slated to be an accessory. What it actually is has yet to be announced.

>accessory
A new DM screen would disappointing...

Is there some other race I could reasonably reflavor to be some sort of crocodile-person other than Lizardfolk? I wanna make a Conquest paladin who worships Sobek, and I can't think of anything other than Lizardfolk and Triton.

A 250-something page accessory.

Why wouldn't you use lizardfolk, they even have a bite.

How to roleplay a champion that's basically a curmudgeonly grognard?

Use goliath, but replace the save with bite.

The term "grognard" comes from Napoleon's Old Guard, his favorite veteran troops who were hardly ever used in battle (to keep up the myth of their invincibility) and enjoyed the rare privilege of being able to speak their minds freely to their superiors. "Grognard" is French for "grumbler." So play a veteran who got lucky and made powerful friends and so was never ever told to shut up.

What's wrong with using lizardfolk?

Primarily fear that if I don't use a race with either a CHA or STR improvement innately that I'll fuck over everyone due to us using point buy. I've never played pallys, but the DMs I play under tend to assume that everything is fairly...optimized.
Tortle came to mind with the idea of a thick, scaly hide, but I'd have no idea how to restyle the withdrawl thing, and people'd probably look at me funny anyhow.
That might sorta work, but we're kinda AL-styled. All books and UAs are allowed, but we're not permitted to actually change the mechanics, just the flavor.

>Primarily fear that if I don't use a race with either a CHA or STR improvement innately that I'll fuck over everyone due to us using point buy. I've never played pallys, but the DMs I play under tend to assume that everything is fairly...optimized.
a +1 bonus isn't going to make or break you.

What spells should a warlock pretending to be a bard take?

That's a better answer than I was expecting to get, really.

Does anyone have a large map for roll20 that could work as a beholder's lair?

A large ruins map works as well!

How do we fix ranger? Apparently ranger revised was disappointing so how do we make it better? What is ranger missing?

Revised ranger is pretty good and so was its fan reception, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Same thread edition and everything. What is it about this general that makes OPs retarded?

What are some interesting pets for a gnome or goblin ranger?
I want to have a ranger that doubles as a mounted combatant.

How does one justify a wizard without the arcana skill?
Or a cleric without religion?
Or a druid without nature?
Or a ranger without survival?

I wish fire emblem would go back to having good art.

Wolf is the no-brainer for Goblin.

Atypical backgrounds that led to no formal training in those fields, or just inherent lack of skill. I was considering a War Cleric without religion who embraced soldier life more than anything, and couldn't tell you religious history to save their life.

Did you hide an arcane focus inside of an instrument or something?

To answer your question: Bard spells. Duh.
Minor Illusion, Charm Person, Crown of Madness, etc.
I think you can use 5etools to search only for spells which appear on both spell lists.

>Cleric without religion
Someone who was suddenly chosen by a deity but didn't have any formal training

Replace deity with nature spirit and druid works

Sorcerer
Clerics don't need knowledge to be chosen by god
same for Druid
Ranger that likes civilization and hates the wild

Would it be insanely stupid to give martial classes every skill proficiency on their list?

What would you rather have, /5eg/? A rollplayer with good stats, but cannot RP within the game's universe to save his life or a "roleplayer" with a great character but doesn't even know how to play? Are both equally bad?

Yes, martial classes aren't allowed to be good at anything other than killing the problem in the caster's way.

>a wizard without the arcana skill?
Maybe they taught themselves magic after stealing a spell book, so they're not familiar with much outside of the spells they've managed to decipher.
>Or a cleric without religion?
You don't need to be a priest to be chosen by the gods. A petty con artist might be granted divine power by a god of trickery, for example.
>Or a druid without nature?
This is where it gets pretty dumb. Druids should probably have expertise in Nature from 1st level. I guess you could say that a Druid without nature is just a really lazy Druid who flunked out of his local circle and went to chill with the animals.
>Or a ranger without survival?
See Druid or Cleric above.

>Roleplayer who can't play

That does not exist, whereas the other does. I am willing to put up with telling an inexperienced yet excellent player how to roll their dice.

Optimization-wise/or RP-wise there is no excuse for a wizard with out Arcana. The other ones can be explained away a little more easily.
Ranger>Urban Witch Hunter
Druid>Chosen by Spirits/Grew up in the city and was chosen as clan elder
Cleric>Chosen by god

>Grew up in the city and was chosen as clan elder

>Clans live in cities

If we're assuming this hypothetical person will never learn the rules then I would say they were worse.

They would be more actively harmful to everyone else's enjoyment than an optimizer, and also I'm mean and love telling people that PAM and CBE are banned.

A little bit of a, a little bit of column b.

My current party consists of:
>player who never roleplays but knows all the rules
>player who roleplays well but doesn't know any rules
>player who neither roleplays or knows any of the rules
Thankfully they all took classes that complement their strengths and weaknesses well; Monk, Bard and Fighter respectively.

The most annoying type of player, in my experience, is a rules lawyer who isn't as familiar with the rules as he thinks he is. Ie. that guy who interrupts every encounter to call out the DM and leaf through rule books, only to reveal that he is wrong and the DM is right. As DM it's lose-lose for me. Either I tell him to shut up and make it look like I'm the one "cheating", or I force him to realize he's at fault but everyone has to sit around while we look up the rules.

>Clan lives in city
>Alienage Elves from Dragon Age or other races in ghettos
Get Shrek'd

Bonus round: You're a druid that connects with "The Spirit of the City" and commune with rats and help heal neighborhoods that are sad

Revised Ranger is good, user. The only "fix" I'd suggest is breaking Natural Explorer up into multiple features and spreading them out across the earlier levels, because it's a bit front-loaded as-is.

>tfw you used to be the last type of guy
A-At least I learned I was stopping the game and asked about it after the session

The Ranger could be a bounty hunter, particularly in an urban area. Nature is pretty specifically academic knowledge about nature, so it'd be easy to have a Druid without proper book-learning in regards to it. The Cleric may specifically be a warrior of a religious sect that forwent any sort of religious instruction because he was trained for war first and foremost. The Wizard could be a Hedge Mage or Witch that grew up in the woods and doesn't have a proper academic instruction and merely has an intuitive understanding of just his own magic.

A combo of rod that looks like a conductor's baton and singing (almost all verbal spells). I've been looking but there isn't too much crossover between the lists, at least not for many of the better spells warlocks have but then again bards do know spells they shouldn't. I actually have a list of spells I'm considering but I'm sure I missed a few and I don't know which ones to cut.

Christ, how did they make Forgotten Realms even more generic in this edition?

By ignoring all the horseshit they did to it in 4e and then focusing on the most cookie-cutter, generic parts (AKA the Sword Coast) with no thought for its more interesting locales.

I can't seem to find the page.
If a creature is two sizes larger than you, yet hostile can you still move through its space? Assuming it's considered rough terrain.
And I guess halfling can move through one size larger? Is that right?

Anyone?

If this is so stupid you thought it was bait then say so because I'm actually considering this.

It's not really necessary. But do it if you want I guess.

By the book obviously, the book in this case being Volo's guide. Very good for monster larping

>larping

Better idea: have martials get a new skill proficiency every few levels so that their growth in utility matches the casters'.

What's wrong with LARPing as a goblin?

What was that thing for goolocks regarding a purple star, again? It was either a UA or from Xanathar's, I think.

Found it, nevermind.

So, RAW, you can't use Reckless Attack on Opportunity Attacks. They generally (always?) won't be on your turn, and Reckless Attack applies to attacks made "during this turn." That's dumb, right?

Does anyone think this could be used for a Death Tyrant's Lair?

I'm trying to get all the essentials for a massive underground lair. Central gallery, Escape Tunnels, chambers, a prison, sanctum, traps, trophy gallery, etc.

Not that dumb imo, reckless attack feels like you actually planned to attack that way, not you're reacting to something by attacking recklessly

Not really

I missed

That sword looks decorative. So thin

Funny cause that's not a bad size for a real fucking sword

Not enough verticality. A Death Tyrant has no need for horizontal hallways. A 3D arrangement is more space efficient, and more inconvenient for potential enemies.

tag fail

Mostly my own spin salvaging as much as possible. Goblins are incredibly varied and greatly inspired by the ones from Labyrinth, with an empire based on the art of Hieronymous Bosch. Orcs have nothing to do with Grummsh and everything to do with nurturing an aborted fetal godling. Kobolds I've replaced with Skaven. I like them better.

What are some alternative mechanics that reward good stealth play, aside from Sneak Attack dice?

Your right, but I'm having trouble finding a suitable map for this though. Do you by any chance have any?

>No thread question
>Anime girl in OP
Gotta say, i am not impressed, OP.

inability for an enemy to roll a save against certain spells. Can't dodge that explosion if you don't know it's coming

Volo's Guide to Monsters actually has an example lair for a Beholder, might work or at least serve as inspiration.

Do my great plan

>its safe rooms always have lava floors
>above each room is another room filled with flying minions that it can drop down onto the party using its disintegration rays
>use mirrors to bounds its lazers everywhere
>LOTS AND LOTS OF MINIONS (there are no beholders that don't have minions)

Why is there only one CR 6 beast? That's lame.

Our moon druid is gonna be mammoth only from now on.

Hardly alternative, but Know Your Enemy can be pretty rewarding if you stalk your prey from the shadows. Something similar would definitely be nice to see on a stealthy character.

Mammoths are actually good and arguably better than the cr7 beast in some cases

Not the guy you're talking to but here's a paint idea.
Maybe find 3-4 smaller maps and treat them as different levels. Add some stairs and passages to connect them.

Still not much variety though.

The blade is fine but the handle looks like it'll fucking snap if the sword hits something.

Reminder that Savage Attacker is in fact better than GWM.

don't say lies

Why do we need two feats for hitting enemy harder, anyway?

Hmm, I might use that.

I'll add a ton more minions. Zombies, Death Kisses, Zombie Beholders, Wraiths, woopie! I'm not able to explain how a Lava Floor would suddenly be in an underground elven ruins so I don't think I can do that.

Maybe that might work? Or I could use the Volo's map...

Post math and maybe I'll believe you. But those digits suggest you're a trap.

Not part of this conversation. But just want to say death tyrant has so far been my favorite boss fight I've ever run.

I always imagine beholder lairs are basically anthills.

Pls respond. I want to know but I'm retarded and can't find the rule despite looking. I know it's there somewhere

>You can move through a nonhostile creature’s space. In contrast, you can move through a hostile creature’s space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature’s space is difficult terrain for you.

Does this also apply to another creature's penis?

Seems reasonable

>But just want to say death tyrant has so far been my favorite boss fight I've ever run.
What did yours do? How big was your group and what level if you remember?

I'm running around with 7 players and they are all level 10 with crazy amounts of magic gear.

Is it just me or is Brute just a straight upgrade to champion with the same newb friendly simplicity?

It's definitely not just you.

How common are people like your players' characters supposed to be in a typical setting? I can't imagine high-level wizards are especially common, but what keeps all these other wizards from advancing as simply as a party wizard does?

>Take all the mirrors
>Kill them with its own beam

Who says the road for your players to become high level is "simple"?

"Tiers of play" in the DMG might give you an idea of how rare they should be.

It's too much; bards and rogues in particular are defined by having more skill proficiencies; this would blow bard out of the water and make rogue overpowered. It also makes some archetypes that give extra skills crap.

If you want to make martials better out of combat let them do more with the skills they have and push beyond what's normally physically possible rather than removing all decision making related to skills.

>them do more with the skills they have
Now, why figher with athletics can leap the wide chasm and wizard with athletics can't? That seems outright unfair.

Beholders are a bit too smart to fall for that but it'd be some poetic justice.