The guy with the shittiest sense of humor in the group is playing a character with the highest charisma

>the guy with the shittiest sense of humor in the group is playing a character with the highest charisma
>gets pissed when people don't enjoy his antics
I can't handle this anymore, get me out of this campaign.

>that guy's terrible sense of humour split the group
>unlikely they'll get back together
How do people not realise that others aren't finding them funny?

Why not tell him that his jokes are not funny?

well, just interrupt, tell him this wouldn't work and suggest one or two courses of action that would better reflect a charismatic person. and if he can't deliver a good speech, just let him speak in 3rd person of his character.
no reason to not let a low charisma person play a high charisma character

Because then I'd look like an asshole.

as opposed to a cowardly asshole like you're doing now?

The situation is complicated by the fact that it was me who invited him in the first place.

You don't have to be rude about it. If he says something stupid, just tell him: "Okay, this doesn't work because of XYZ but your character is highly charismatic, so I'll let you reconsider and pitch it differently."

Won't this just get us stuck in a loop of me dismissing a series of poor attempts at acting charming and humorous?

again, if he really struggles give him some helpful suggestions how it's done right, so that he can imporve. he needs some in-play reference material. beyond that, i didnt give him infinite retries. you can limit that all by yourself for each scene.

>alright, you retried and this doesn't work either, sorry. the guards draw the swords.
or alternatively you can make him roll against CHA with a negative modifier to smooth things out and let him try again, making it progresively difficult. be a bit creative, man.

Maybe just be fucking honest with your friend. He deserves to know he isn't funny. Once he can deal with that he will truly begin to be funny.

What if I'm not even the DM?

talk with the GM

He's a friendly sort, capable of tolerating even the worst of jokes. He'll just ask me to be patient and enjoy the game.

well, then you have to either bear it too or consider quitting the game. in the latter case, you need to give your GM a fair advance warning and a chance to correct course.

Yeah, good advice. I think I'll talk to the GM about this issue, but also imply that I'm willing to tolerate it for a bit more. Maybe the DM will give some subtle hints to the unfunny player.

It just sucks that the guy I invited is possibly making the game worse for the entire group, yet everyone tolerates it because nobody wants to seem like an asshole. What a needlessly complicated situation.

Give an example of his jokes

It's more like general obnoxiousness with wacky actions and comments. Hard to name a specific incident.

Well, for example, he'd sometimes take a boot or a glove off a killed enemy, carry it with him for a while, maybe enchant the item with a simple spell a few times, then ask one of the players to hold the item for a while. The player's would usually just throw the item away the first chance they get, not giving it much thought.

And then, a few games later, he makes this grand reveal about how he was actually "trolling" the other characters, making them carry trash for his personal shits and giggles. Needless to say, nobody was amused and proceeded with the game as if nothing happened. His mood worsened noticeably, and the game ended with an unpleasant angry outburst which almost ruined the mood for the rest of the group.

But this is an extreme case, he's usually a lot more low-key about it. But it's still annoying to have a wacky lolsorandom character in a group that is at least somewhat trying to play a serious campaign.

Any other tips on how to deal with a player like that?

just tell the fag to shut up, fag

>Any other tips on how to deal with a player like that?

Grow some balls and talk to him like a human being.

It's not about my lack of balls, you dumb fuck, it's about me not wanting to cause needless drama in the game group.

If I talk to him, we may have a huge argument, which I might ultimately win, but then it would results it snide comments during the game, which I would deflect by following this good tip right here , by which point the DM would reprimand me for, and the rest of the players would tell me to calm down and chill. By that point, I'd get pissed at the fact that I'm playing the game with a bunch of limp-wristed cucks who are not interested int discussing the matter at hand and preferring to ignore the underlying issue altogether, and tell the entire table to grow some balls.

Needless to say, I'd be the irredeemalbe asshole of the evening, and it's likely that the entire group would fall apart.

Look, I don't make the rules of social interaction for this day and age. Practice and knowledge shows that people today abhor any sort of conflict, even if it ultimately leads to personal growth or improvement. I never followed this trend, and have been in the position of an asshole once too often to repeat the same mistake again.

I'd tell you you're being an overthinking little bitch if it wasn't for the fact that what you described is EXACTLY what happened to my last group after I confronted the player no one liked to be around. He started antagonizing my characters after the first time I told him to stop being a moron and when I called him out on that it got worse.

Sometimes I don't know why we didn't just agree to kick him out from the get-go instead of spiraling into a dead game because of his hurt feefees.

Overthinking is what dumb people call thinking, my experience shows.

I'm glad you can relate, at least.

Then get out.

I'm in a campaign right now and it's just hovering above fine, the GM's a good friend but a few of the players are new and they're just not engaged with the roleplay like I am. So I'm discreetly setting up my fallback while still attending.

I could try to help them improve but it's really not my responsibility and I have other options. They only person that can get you out of that game is you.

>If I talk to him, we may have a huge argument, which I might ultimately win
>if
>may have
>might
>etc.
Or you could actually try rather than making a load of assumptions? But no, please go on telling us what "limp-wristed cucks" the other players are, and how they "abhor conflict", when you're the one too scared to try to address the situation.

Not an argument.
Blaming me for having foresight and basing my actions on likely assumptions is simply moronic. Do you honestly advocate acting with not forethought as to what your actions might entail? Don't be an idiot.
And you're missing my point completely, anyway. I have already made it clear that I am very much ready for a conflict. However, for it to be beneficial, the other side, as well as the observing third parties, be open to it as well, else it would be of no use to anyone, and I have no interest in not only wasting my time, but also ruining my relationship with my gaming group in a silly, rushed display of aggression.

I'm here looking for thought-out tips and experiences of other players in dealing with situations like this. You can keep your redundant kindergarten-tier advice to yourself, you cheap self-help book. Think about what you're posting next time.

>Not an argument.
How is "your assumptions may be wrong" not a valid point to make? But fine, whatever. Here's my advice: learn how to be assertive. There's a huge difference between assertiveness and aggression, and from what you've said here (past experience being that people don't respond well to you, and the fact you think calling them a fag is a "good tip") and they way you've generally responded to people in this thread, I would bet you're way over the aggressive side in how you go about raising issues with people. So that's my advice, go look around the internet and learn how to bring up issues assertively rather than aggressively, because it is actually a skill. You could consider learning said skill personal growth or improvement, if it helps.

Thats called being an autist.

Admittedly, that is good advice. My personality really is on the aggressive side, and I now that I think about it, I have little skill in balancing between being aggressive and skipping confrontations altogether. Naturally, this causes problems in communicating my arguments - no matter how good - in a manner that the person being confronted by me would find worth considering, instead of just provocative.
I will think on the inherent differences between being aggressive and assertive, and look around for study material on this issue. Thanks, I did not consider that.

That being said, "your assumptions may be wrong" is still hardly an argument. While technically true, you, as an outside observer, have basically no reason to think that my speculation leading up to the assumptions is wrong in any way. However, I know these people personally, so I have data I can base my assumptions on. From this perspective, my word is gold compared to yours.

Naturally, I agree with the possibility of me being wrong, but this is where the risk factor comes in. The outcome of my assumptions being wrong is much worse than the one resulting from me trusting my assumptions and not risking the confrontation in the first place. Not an ideal solution to be sure, but when both outcomes are uncertain, I am willing to go with the one that seems more likely given the data, experience and knowledge I have at the present time.

Wait, I fucked up a but right there in the last paragraph, so don't judge me too harshly. I believe my point should still be quite clear despite my mistake.

I apologize for the hurried response, as I must be leaving house in about 12 minutes.
I will bookmark this thread and reply to any posts I find when I come back... if the thread isn't locked or deleted by then.

>that guy's terrible sense of humour split the group
literally how?

No worries user, I was definitely being a bit of a dickhead with my first reply () so deserved a bit of bite back. If it helps, there's no shame in having to learn how to be more assertive. Lots of people struggle with it, as shown by how common it is for business folks (from all sorts of sectors) to do training courses/workshops on assertiveness. Which is also why I think there should be resources, whether documents or videos, somewhere on the internet which may be of use to you.

Good luck, user!