Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Twilight Calls edition

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Previous thread:

First for Dadgar.

What class overall has the worst RPers? The best?

My experience:
>Worst
Demon Hunters. Pre-Legion, Paladins had this honor.

>Best
Warlocks

Every class has its duds, but I can't speak to any that are particularly more obnoxious than the others.

>Worst
Warriors, don't really bother to RP most of the time
>Best
Mages have the most diverse characters

Blood elves are the worst, goblins the best

The Horde had Golden as their favored writer. And as much as people like to shit on her NOW, Lord of the Clans and Rise of the Horde were solid reads.

Also, aren't you glad that this was never a thing?

Goblins are some of the absolute worst RPers in the game. Just fishmalk retards who take the used car salseman shtick to a thoroughly unfunny extreme.

Also they suffer the same problem as Troll RPers, where they exaggerate the accent to the point you can't fucking understand anything they say.

>aren't you glad that this was never a thing
Absolutely not, are you for real?

Warrior RP falls flat so often because the class has no distinct lore personality. Unlike every other class, including rogues and hunters. Legion tried with that Valhalla crap but that was just weird and did nothing to help.

It's a little easier as a Horde warrior, because half the Horde is made up of warrior societies where the expectation is if you're not slinging spells then you're picking up a weapon.

But Alliance side it's harder.
>Am I knight?
Possibly, but Paladins already pretty much fill that social role and they have a lot more lore than you.
>Am I a barbarian?
No reason why not, but that's kind of a Horde thing, innit?
>Am I a soldier?
Could be, but the game makes it pretty clear you're some kind of mercenary just like the rest of the PCs

Warrior class lore is a relic from the time when the game was more confident in leaving things unsaid.

Paladins used to be Knights with Light-based powers, but over time they stole their horses too.

Reminds me when I used to play on Argent Dawn EU. Shitshow of a server, full of manchildren. Every fucking human male warrior was a one-eyed veteran talking in thick yorkshire accent and every gnome was just a cunt.

this still triggers me

Gonna dust this meme off again
>Ignore humans, they're all Deus Vult faggots who have pissing contests over whose hatred of orcs is more righteous
>Ignore Night Elves, they all just want to ERP in cat form
>Don't ignore dwarves, they're pretty chill
>Ignore gnomes, they don't exist
>Ignore Draenei, they just want to buttfuck you with their futa cocks
>Ignore Worgen, they also just want to buttfuck you with their futa cocks
>Ignore Pandaren, they contribute absolutely nothing

Why is the weeb fanart so much better than the western fanart?

100% your subjective opinion bro.

Personally I fucking hate weabshit aesthetics.

>you're some kind of mercenary just like the rest of the PCs

Not really though, you a subject of whatever faction you're in and lend your skills from there, occasionally working with outside or neutral parties.

She DOES look better in blue.

My point was the PC isn't a formal member of their faction's military organization. At least not at first. This changes in later expansions and coincidentally it lines up with when the writing really shits the bed in regards to the relationship between PCs and the lore.

That's not true though. This is a western fanart, and it's as good as it gets.

>My point was the PC isn't a formal member of their faction's military organization.

Everyone in the Horde is.
I remember Alliance paladins at least starting as members of the silver hand. And you definitely take orders from the military leaders, while never selling your services people like Quillboar, Gnolls, Defias, the Burning Blade or the Dark Horde.

>Thug Grom
Absolutle faggotry

any Grom that is not lean is wrong.

General idea for PCs is that they're fledgling members of the military or their respective orders and quickly show promise for handling tough shit nobody else can, which makes them kindof like Spec Ops afforded freedom from usual military work.

Basically like The Blades from Morrowind. You take order from bigshots when there's big shit afoot but generally you're your own person.

WoD and Legion ruined any sense of the PC's relationship with the military by making them the most important general in the faction but then letting them quit and fuck off as soon as things go bad

Thank Tyrande for that

Share some dank memes pls.

>letting them quit and fuck off as soon as things go bad

That never happens though.

except at the beginning of Legion

>grind sunreavers for one of the only dragonhawk mounts
>it still looks super outdated

I hate you blizzard. On that note, we really need updated guard armor that's attainable for every race. I feel so bad for Sentinel RPers.

People exaggerate Tyrande's personal fault in driving away the Nighborne. They could never be allied with the Night Elves because they represent the thing Night Elves hate the most, old school Highborne. And Nightborne are obsessed with culture and magical hi-tech, elves who willingly regressed to hunter-gatherers must be repulsive to them. Tyrande just voiced the general opinion of her race. She's a huge bitch with a bad taste in fashion, but she was fully in the right there. Blood Elves, on the other hand, share the same ideals as the Nightborne. The choice is obvious.

Why would he just leave calcium caltrops all over his floor?

madness user

Nope, the beginning of Legion has you set sail with your faction to fight the Legion.
Then as Horde you pledge your undying loyalty to Sylvanas and as Alliance you pour one out for Varian.

>Worst
Class you play
>Best
Class I play

fuck muh veteran warrior rp and also fuck Yorkshire

and then you abandon your faction until you do Stormhein

Meanwhile, while Tyrande calls other Elves mana addicts, whenever Night Elves settle they can't do it without setting up a Moonwell, which as far as I know is made with including water from the new Well of Eternity (the one Illidan made).
Sure, Tyrande, adding blessings of local powers of the Wild and of Elune doesn't make you reliant on the same mana that other elves need. Keep telling yourself that.

>and then you abandon your faction

No, you go set up a secret club, but you never abandon your faction.

I'm really happy that the Horde got them, they have now their own Night Elf race but I'm a bit sad that the Alliance didn't get to play High Elves. I mean Void Elves is are just painted blood/high elves with void effects on their hair. Now we have 3 dark Elf races in WoW.

The only good thing is that Void Elves have better beards than Blood Elves.

The Valhalla crap was pretty stupid. I would have preferred if they made the Warrior stuff basically just the Expendables. You go around gathering all of the baddest dudes in Azeroth, trolling through fight clubs and arenas like the Circle of Blood and Fray Island. You muster a rag-tag group of rugged soldiers, gladiators, brawlers, bruisers, champions, and knights that are happy to unite against the Legion for the greatest fight, the greatest glory, and the greatest story. The whole idea behind Warriors is that every race can be one, so it's silly to tie it so heavily to Titans, as cool as it was to have an Iron Dwarf as a companion.

As for RPing, I think for Warriors you have to turn a lot to the culture of your race, in some respects. You can have dwarves that resemble Mountain Kings, which is pretty fucking sick. Draenei can go for the ancient, storied warrior that's seen a thousand battlefields due to their long lives. I had a male night elf who had been a blacksmith since before the Sundering and took up arms to become a warrior-smith after the Battle of Mount Hyjal. I liked the idea because it's somewhat atypical for a night elf but still makes sense for the race and it avoided all the retarded shit the people that ruin the race's name do. I also thought it would be interesting to RP a character that had lived such a fucking LONG life because he would likely have a completely alien worldview to a human, which I feel is underutilized in WoW.

Warriors are the class with the blankest slate, which can be a bad thing for shitty RPers because they don't have a crutch to lean on with their class. It also provides a lot of freedom to explain how your character is the way they are, though. Warriors exist in every culture, so there's a lot of ways to explain a Warrior..

The night elves very specifically do not rely upon the Moonwells. Moonwells exist as remembrance of the War of the Ancients and a pledge not to repeat the same mistakes. The entire storyline for Teldrassil is about going on a pilgrimage to remember the War of the Ancients and what callous reliance upon arcane magic can cause. They're literally the only elves that learned their fucking lesson after that shit and decided to vow off of wells, because they're not pants-on-head-retarded usually.

Night elves draw their power from nature and their connection to the land, now. As long as Azeroth lives and breathes, the night elves won't wither away. Which is why you never see any withered night elves.

Have we talked about these videos yet?

It just made me love Baine and Saurfang more and like Sylv/Blight/Galy even less. Even the blood elves I'm coming around on from this.

I also really like Anduin, I don't know why but he feels like a proper character, not just some cut out. Makes me really want to go back and explore his quests in Pandaland.

Genn also has had some good characterization. Shame we didn't see anyone else.

>I_don't_believe_it.gif

So they are kind of like shrines?

I don't know, as they're clearly magic somehow.

The night elves have never been stated to have addiction problems anymore. This is due to the fact that, save for a few Highborne, do not use any magic anymore (it's even prohibited on Teldrassil), so they don't even have the magical addiction or reliance in the first place. However, even if they did (for example, right after the Sundering), they've never shown issues due to their inherent connection to nature and the Emerald Dream. They were also blessed by the Dragon Aspects, which would likely avoid it, as well.

The priestesses and sentinels worship Elune at them, yeah. They're absolutely magical, because they're straight up water from the Well of Eternity, but the night elves don't rely on them. They make use of them because the waters heal injuries, replenish mana, and bless objects (you need moonwells to make mooncloth, for example). They're important parts of night elf culture, but night elves don't need them to live like how Nightborne needed the Nightwell (until a night elf offered them a different means with the tree) or how the high/blood elves needed the Sunwell.

It's like how humans don't need the Light to live but they still worship and make use of its blessings. The night elf that gave the Nightborne the tree was some sort of druid that lived on his own in Suramar for ten thousand years without issue.

Is this why you absolutely need to build moonwells to recruit more night elven troops?

Why would he have any issues -in- Suramar?

I don't know, maybe the hundreds upon hundreds of withered Nightborne that you have to fight on the regular in Suramar would give some indication?

You also have to build Churches to train units in Warcraft, but humans don't need those to live. They're the food stores for night elves because it's a unique cultural thing and the lore for night elves wasn't purely cemented yet.

>You also have to build Churches to train units in Warcraft, but humans don't need those to live
No, they need farms. Like night elves need moonwells.

You never had to build churches to raise population cap in any Warcraft game. Only farms. However, it is true that you was using zigurats to improve undead population when they were mere towers, instead of graveyards

They are withered because they were kicked out of Suramar.

Bodies are not an issue for the Scourge, mana to raise them is.

I meant that churches are used to train units in Warcraft. They couldn't give night elves farms, as well, because they don't farm. And they couldn't give them a hunting lodge as their food store because that'd be goofy. Moonwells are a unique cultural thing so it's easy to make them an important structure.

If you want a decent explanation, moonwells are probably important to wisps, which are what night elves used to gather materials in WC3. Wisps could probably provide food, as well.

Moonwells being the food store of night elves in WC3 being used as justification for why they have an addictive reliance on moonwells is pretty flimsy, though. It's relying on a gameplay abstraction for something that's not even explained in the game in which it's an abstraction.

Suramar is the name of the entire area in which you will find withered running around about 20 yards from where the night elf was hanging out. If they withered at that distance from the Nightwell then it's pretty clear they can't draw power from it or anything else in the city, and also that the latent magic in the woods isn't enough to stave off the withering. However, the night elf didn't have that issue for ten thousand years.

Moonwells seem to be a font of nature magic blessed by Elune. Used by the night elves to help quell and adjust the natural wildlife to their presence in the area.

At least that’s what the WoW quest to make one in Suramar shows.

>humans limit their troops based on how many they'll be able to feed
>night elves limit their troops based on how many they'll be able to heal
There. Easy explanation.

And really, why WOULDN'T you build a moonwell whenever you're expecting combat? You might as well say humans are addicted to swords because they bring those with them everywhere.

Yeah, they definitely have some sort of influence on wildlife and nature. I think there are some quests in Teldrassil, Darkshore, and Ashenvale about how they cause nature to flourish (they might not be there after Cataclysm, I'm not sure). They can also bless items and heal people.

Since they're waters from the Well of Eternity I imagine they could even actually sate a high elf's magic addiction.

The Horde one was interesting. Felt very much like you had Thrall's Horde on one side of the table and Sylvanas' Horde on the other. I appreciate Saurfang and Baine having more to do with the goings on of the Horde, but I'm afraid they're both going to get killed by Sylvanas somehow.

The Alliance one was pretty straightforward. I'm liking Anduin more than I thought I would, and I like Genn as his right-hand man/wolf.

Despite my misgivings for yet another RvB centered expansion, this one might pleasantly surprise me. I doubt it, but there's a chance.

>

Probably just Blizzard filling up the rosters. I wouldn't read too much into it.

How come Sargeras is planet sized but the other titans were raidboss sized?

Avatars. Their souls had been captured and their Titan-sized forms were destroyed by Sargeras. Presumably Sargeras' Titan form is also destroyed.

You're mercenary in that technically you can tell people to fuck off whenever, you just have an exclusivity contract with your faction, which makes perfect sense. No one would hire a mercenary who went "It's a shame I helped the horde burn down Teldra-whatever. If you give me 50 gold I'll help you invade Lordaeron."
You'd be arrested and executed pretty much immediately.

I love how out of place the Blood Elves looked. Like they're trying at least but they don't feel right not having napkins on their laps.

Because Activision was willing to steal Galactus but not the Celestials.

>you can tell people to fuck off whenever,

You can't. All those quests are done canonically.
Just because you're not literally enslaved by a game doesn't mean you're a mercenary.

>You can't. All those quests are done canonically.
They're all done canonically by "Adventurers" but it doesn't say anything about you.

In fact, Blizzard made this even more obvious with the profession quests. Did you do all the Blacksmithing quests, and the alchemy quests, and the enchanting, tailoring, and leatherworking quests? Nope that was all adventurers, of which you might have been one. You can take all the quests you want, but lorewise it's entirely possible that you walked away from one thinking it was stupid and some gnome did it instead because they already have no dignity.

>while there are poor people in Suramar City withering right before your eyes

are they not? One man's sword addiction destroyed Lordaeron

Are demon hunters really edgy?
I mean they're anime as fuck, but the Death Knights seem a lot edgier than Demon Hunters could ever hope to be

i'll thank the writers instead tyvm

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

Their both edgy as fuck, just in different ways. DK's are school shooters whereas DH's are middle schoolers blasting 'CRAAAWLING IIIN MY SKIIIIN'

As a Vengeance demon hunter you resource instead of mana is PAIN and you heal yourself by cutting pieces of enemies soul and eating them. Not even getting into the whole "fighting the demon inside" thing. They are the class equivalent of Crawling and that's why they are great

But user by that logic any quest that you did do, you actually did canonically to yourself. And if you've done the initial Class Order Hall quest or any Khadgar quests you're no longer a mercenary but the Champion, I'm sorry to say.
And if you didn't participate in the raids from that point that means the Legion won, because you are our last, best hope :).

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you!" - Lady Liadrin

The DH leader is literally the guy who yelled "I AM MY SCARS" to a space Priest in a space Church

>Warchief Liadrin never ever
fucking kill me

whom'st is she talking to here?

Okay, maybe that's edgy. But if that's edgy what do you call "Without monsters, there can be no heroes" by D. Mograine?

Well with Legion you're for all intents and purposes gone AWOL from the Alliance or Horde and are leading neutral factions to the defeat of the titan.
It's not like my draenei shaman became farseer and aligned the Earthen Ring with the Alliance, but at the same time I wasn't branded AWOL for deserting my post either. Mercenary.

She's listening to the big guy, waiting for the fire to rise.
On a serious note how come none of the important characters have casual gear as well as army gear? Anduin got an extra model just for his silly quest and Greymane got one with his bare chest, so really it's not like they're short on resources to make some spare models for these guys.

Strange definition of mercenary you've got, I guess it could be considered true in the archaic sense but that's like saying the Catholic church and the Knights Templar were mercenaries.

The catholic church and knights templar were different since the church was above the government back then. If the church said they needed knights, they got knights.

But in the case of WoW, you do the Broken Shore with your faction, then your faction starts preparing to do other stuff, and you basically leave them to go lead your Order Hall. You can't really be called their soldier in the same sense that plenty of the guards are if you can just go "The Earthen Ring needs me" and just teleport away.

You fight for the Horde/Alliance, but your not their soldier. Technically they can't order you to do anything. That makes you a mercenary.
"A professional soldier hired to serve" sort of mercenary, just so we're looking at the right definition.

Yeah, that's pretty edgy.
But Havoc Demon Hunters literally have to brood. It's part of the job description.

I always figured I was working for Khadgar and the Council of Six, being ranked significantly above the Horde and Alliance militaries in the fight against the Legion. The Class Hall is just an extension of Khadgar and a building block toward Legionfall, which is his brainchild.

>Also, aren't you glad that this was never a thing?
>saying this on Veeky Forums
get out. Darkie Smaug is a better idea than whatever blizzard came up with

The class hall isn't an extension of Khadgar, what the fuck were you thinking ?

kek, now that you say it like that.

Why was Zul'jin a stereotypical Jew in that game?

You are aware that for 10000 years Night Elves of Suramar fed on the energies of Nightwell that were used to infuse juice and wine from Arcfruits, right?
It was their ONLY food source, of course withdrawal would be bad.

So, thoughts on that rare spawn in Silithus with the journal? He says the first lie has already been told. WHICH sword has a shiny eye, always watching him? Gorribal seems too obvious.

Give me a good reason to roll a Gnome alt, I never made one because Blizzard doesn't give Gnomes anything cool and they're so often considered a total joke.

I'd be okay with Naaru-purified Sylvanas.

They're both kinda edgy, but DHs out edge DKs by a longshot. DKs didnt choose to be what they are, so it kinda makes sense. DHs cant shut up about their sacrifice and self importance, and are more insufferable for it.

he fell for las memes

Sylvanah Windiggan will unite the Protoss and Horde against the evil of the Burning Xel'naga to free Azeroth from the clutches of Amon.

This was back before Goblins had to become Jews because gnomes stole their schtick and ruined it in process.

Metzen stop. you retired.

Eh, the "I have sacrificed EVERYTHING..." Line is basically more meant to tell people to leave them alone because they get treated like shit by everyone. When Malfurion "I'll just sit here and let the horde murder my wife again" Stormrage says "I don't like these guys here..." then you'd be a bit bitter too.

Meanwhile Death Knight literally have to take vacations to go slaughter towns and spread disease or they literally start dying because of edge deficiency