Discriminating as a DM

Going to float this here as I am curious to here other opinions. I am running a campaign, and as part of that campaign I decided that I want my players to primarily be British, because I want to keep the experience authentic to the setting that I had created. Am I being too autistic or is there merit to trying to play campaigns with restrictions that fit the setting? This also leads into a wider discussion about DMs having any kind of restrictions about who they want to play in there campaign. Obviously people may say they don't want people from certain time zones playing due to scheduling conflicts. What about discriminating based on race and gender though, is that acceptable or should it be considered wrong for someone to want to do this. I have made this post because I think that there can be genuinely interesting discussion about this topic.

TL;DR Is it okay for DMs to discriminate about who they want to let into their campaigns?

If you're running a medieval setting, I don't think modern British culture is necessarily closer to that than American culture

I think it wont have the desired effect since Brits have very different approaches to Britness among each others and Ive met dutchies with a better grasp on British folklore than many bongs.

That being said, its your game, do what you want

It strikes me as a bit weird and entirely pointless, but there's no stopping you. If you can get enough players despite restricting it like that, and they aren't put off by said restrictions, I guess have fun?

Said restrictions will likely annoy people though, limiting your playerbase even more than just the policy itself would.

No

I should probably mention that it's a One Ring campaign. Hence why I want the accents to fit the setting.

>I want the accents to fit the setting
this is a level of pedantry I really don't get

So are you also going to limit what characters people can play by their accents? Does someone with a rural accent have to play a hobbit? Does someone with a more posh accent have to play an elf or highborn human?

And of course you aren't going to tell the players this, right?

Every DM discriminates in some way or another. Nobody's gonna make a group out of the first 5 dipshits who seem interested if they're not fun to play with. That said, discrimination should end at "only fun players are allowed". What you're doing is peak autism.

Jesus Christ, so this is what autism truly looks like.

For me, it's the same as watch a show set in Victorian England and hear Prince Albert come out with an American accent (and yes, a German accent would be correct).

Well people generally change their accent to fit the character anyway. Though I am tired of Americans breaking into a hard cockney accent whenever someone asks them to do a British accent.

Depends on who takes an interest in the game. If not enough British people applied then I would have to concede but I wouldn't be mad.

Why can't you decide who you want to hang out with?

You're an adult, aren't you?

This is autism of a caliber I've never seen before.

Pay attention to what OP's actually saying. He's planning on filtering players based on nationality because he thinks British accents automatically makes the game more immersive.

The only time this kind of discrimination works is when you do your due diligence of not allowing Polish people into your game group.

You're levelling a standard which only a small number of players will be able to manage. You better be a good GM, or just damn lucky, or you will never have a successful group.

>Pay attention to what OP's actually saying. He's planning on filtering players based on nationality because he thinks British accents automatically makes the game more immersive.

That's entirely his prerogative to hang out with the people he wants to hang out with in his free time.

Absolutely, but it's still very autistic and frankly stupid.

It's your game, you can do whatever you like

Yes, absolutely, fuck the rest of them and remember it's your setting.

Now I'll read the rest of the thread

Poor bait

Only wanting to play with British people, is like wanting to play with only tall blond blue eye white people. You fucking nazi. Enjoy your no-game Hitler.

You sound retarded.

>Am I being too autistic
very yes. gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8.

To those saying it's autistic, not to entirely disagree with you but I have a question. If you were watching the Lord of the Rings and someone came out with an obviously american accent, would it not ruin your immersion?

A movie or TV series is a completely different thing to playing a game. Comparing them is absurd, and is just asserting an impossibly high standard over something honestly really petty.

So where does immersion come then into Role Playing games? I accept it's high standard but surely we all try to create immersion in our games.

We do, but what immersion means to different people varies massively.

For me, being immersed just relies on IC events making sense and characters remaining consistent and compelling. Some people find metamechanics immersion shattering, while I enjoy them. Some people find game mechanics break their immersion if they're forced to engage with them, while I find it a compliment to the experience. And I've never been in a game and had a players voice be what took me out of the experience. I accept the limitations of the people I play with and it honestly just doesn't bother me very much.

Hey, if you don't want to play with non-British people that's your call. No one is entitled to playing in your game, after all. Just don't be a dick about it.

It's your game and you can invite or not invite whoever you want for whatever reason you want.

But thinking that the ethnicity of your players is somehow going to make it more or less difficult for them to roleplay members of some other specified ethnicity is stupid. It's called roleplaying for a reason. You may as well refuse to let anyone play and elf unless they are an elf in real life, or refuse to let someone play a doctor unless they have a medical degree in real life. I can only assume that you are totally autistic, or that you are a racist, or that this is purely a bait question and a waste of everyone's time, although mostly of yours.

No, it wouldn't.

Interesting bait, but actually aside from hobbits you'd be very hard pressed to find "british" cultures in LOTR.

Dwarves=jews.
Rohan=germanic pre-migration people if anything
Northermen= scandinavian/russian-ish
Gondor=Italy (+ Numenor=Egypt)
Silvan elves=... I'm not even sure there is a direct relationship, Noldor in third age more or less spoke faux-finnish+greek grammar with Quenya

So at the very least you should have a "balanced" party of mostly mediterrenean and scandinavian people, with a catholic GM.

It's actually funny how LITTLE of England's history inspired ME. He spoke about feeling that Ireland didn't feel ME, for example, it basically was a landscape thing.

>I should probably mention that it's a Conan campaign. Hence why I want the muscles to fit the setting.

As a Canadian, I find it absolutely hilarious that you a British person is a prejudice dick against Americans.

see this guy. Other than hobbits NOONE in those movies had a British accent. So unless your playing a party of hobbits, your player's accents or lack thereof should not matter.

Its called having and using your imagination.

Is this still bait or already genuine retardation?

Either way, report, hide, ignore

Yes, the accent thing is autistic, but you can avoid accusations of racism/ etc-ism by restricting by time zone, since no one can legitimately complain if you can only GM at certsin times ...

What's wrong with roleplaying Poles?

No I mean don't allow actual Polish "people" into your social groups.

huh?

>Is it okay for DMs to discriminate about who they want to let into their campaigns?
Unless that form of freedom of association is illegal where you live, then it is okay.

but then French people can still join

He is just meming "dumb Pollack" archetype. New to internet, Mati?

... and rest of the Europe too, since the difference is 1 hour or none at all

So blantat "I'm racist" shit. Great. no one gives a fuck if you want to have a particular type of person in your gaming group. Seriously, the only people who give a fuck are peopkle who have agendas. And those agendas are going to be spewed all over our board because you're a fucking asshat. thanks a lot.

Get the fuck off of Veeky Forums if you can't be smart enough to hide your personal preferences or your agendas under better terms. And if tyou are smart enough for that, get the fuck off of Veeky Forums for being a shitposting asshat.

>fit the setting
It's a fantasy setting. there are no accents

Not on accounts of such stupid motivatio s

Have you forgotten your tinfoil hat today?

No, I'm just tired of politics, racism, and sexuality being issues on Veeky Forums when they really fucking don't need to be. OP is a moron encouraging other morons, and that's all there is to it.

And you are getting "Middle Earth is using British accents" from.... where, exactly? There is more Finnish and Greek in Middle Earth languages than there is English.
Aside hobbits, nobody should sound even vaguely British. Are you planning to run all-hobbit party campaign?

Only if you were to assemble the best players for the best campaign of all time would this ever be worth the effort. If you're getting caught up on this, imagine all the other stuff you'll get hung up on. Jesus christ.

disregard the anglo, he's butthurt that the Poles are the only ones not being peacefully murdered.

He probably plays Infinity.

so you think they speak British English in Middle-Earth? kek

Underrated post

It's fine, don't be a soyboy cuck. You can have whatever people in the game, because you're the one running it.

You realise that not all british people sound the same, right?

Yes, but a player isn't their character. An actor in a movie is, well, acting the role of the character, looks, mannerisms and accents included. A player in an RPG generally isn't, except perhaps in LARP which isn't my thing.

I don't imagine the characters talking in the voice of the player. I imagine the character based on the how the player describes them and what they say.

I don't think refusing to associate with someone based on their ethnicity, orientation, or native culture is necessarily wrong, everyone has the right of voluntary association, it's amoral to force someone to associate with someone they don't want anything to do with. Is that wrong? I feel like someone should have the final say on whether or not they want to do business with someone else, albeit, some people's reasons for refusal to associate are amoral or even outright immoral by our modern sensibilities, but I still feel they should have the right to choose who they or don't associate with. Of course, societal infrastructure/services shouldn't discriminate in regards to which citizens they serve because they're funded by the overall citizen's tax and it's immoral to deprive someone of a service they've paid for, but private individuals and privately owned businesses should have the right to discriminate, should they so please. I'd like to get another perspective on this, if you disagree, I'd like you to let me know why you disagree.

Christ in heaven OP I hope you're being upfront with them.

OP is gonna get all cockney accents for his le epic lotr game

You know what breaks my immersion? Forced, foreign accents when there is no reason for them whatsoever.
The Bunker comes to mind, since Anglophones absolutely hated it all characters being German, but being played by all-British cast, they speak English, instead of German-accented English. And people complained about this.
What the fuck?!