EDH/Commander General

Slangin' bangin' edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
How does your group feel about creature-light/spellslinger decks?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-colour-zadatazri/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grimlock-king-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why have they not reprinted this guy or his effect? That is fucking fun as fuck.

TQ: in my group nobody has adressed it, but i've noticed lgs leagues being strongly in favour of creature based decks as control and combo arent viewed with friendly eyes

>Thread question
It depends. Zada is generally fine, since it wins through token critical mass, but things like Melek and Wort aren't because turns take forever. Which is lame, because they're fun as fuck to pilot.

Maybe I just built Wort wrong, as it was a weird mix of Fireballs and Scapeshift combos.

>How does your group feel about creature-light/spellslinger decks?
There was a guy in an old playgroup that would only play UR slinger.
It was basically him casting Melek, someone using an edict effect, and then him getting two more mana to cast Melek into an edict again.

Then he switched to Mizzix and ran into the same edicts.

Had he never heard of counterspells?

Does Narset count as Spellslinger or combo?

This was the same time everyone and their dog was running Meren and looping Merciless Executioners.

I need a little help Veeky Forums. I currently have three EDH decks that I've built that are all around the same power level. They are strong but don't include MLD or anything some players would consider dickish. I've also stayed away from infinite combos.

I want to make a neheb deck that is as degenerate as possible to make up for the other three. How would you build degenerate glory?

>Ix/Rix adds tons of B/W vamp stuff
>but no B/W vampire commander that is in any way interesting

Recurring MLD, Stax, repeating phases and cards you can cast for free. I like Etali

Just play B/W Vampires with Edgar and never cast him.

>How does your group feel about creature-light/spellslinger decks

Most don't really care. In our tier 2 playgroup some people get a bit annoyed, especially by something like Mizzix that plans on storming out. In the tier 1 playgroup it's almost expected that your deck is going to be creature light and will mostly just be stuff to protect your combos or get your combo to hand which makes it incredibly boring

Narset is a weird middle ground, but if you get her out it's basically spell slinger since you're just trying to get out all your extra turn shit. It's horrible to verse with Proteus staff, especially since Narset is naturally hexproof.

I had considered repeating phases for neheb himself but holy shit with etali it'd be nuts

Jam in all the extra combat phases and card draw possible and go voltron

A lot of the extra combat stuff doesn't work with Etali. Most of the cards are worded like Relentless Assault, and if you don't cast and resolve it during a main phase, you don't get the extra combat.

I think the only exceptions to this are Savage Beating and World at War.

OK that guy actually looks fun as fuck.

What are his wincons? A massive Exsanguinate/Torment of Hailfire?

Speaking of Eddie, is his precon so expensive because of Teferi's Protection? Because I see no other reason why it'd cost almost 50 bucks.

That and Door of Destinies, I guess. And Edgar himself. It's still way too much money.

Yes. It was good when it first came out before no one realised the value of Teferis. Now stores and individuals pretty much set the price based off teferis alone since it's pretty much the only decent card in the deck unless you actually want to play vampire tribal.

>unless you actually want to play vampire tribal

h-hehe yeah, who'd want to do something like that...

You might be able to find scalped versions of the deck where they took out Teferi's Protection and are selling the rest.

Lads

Gishath Dino Tribal or Zacama Goodstuff?
Or both?

No good place to put him. He's not really around anymore and Kamigawa, bar a few exceptions, rarely gets reprinted. I'd like to see a new Tetsuo Umezawa with a similar effect.

What are some rules you give yourself when deckbuilding? Points for severe autism. Here's mine:
>No mana rocks that burn me or require mana to untap
>No mana rocks that aren't indestructible or can't be immediately sac'd when Artifact hate happens unless they have a powerful secondary effect or give a high mana payout (Chromatic Lantern, Darksteel Ingot, Commander's Sphere, Wayfarer's Bauble and Thran Dynamo are good choices, Signets for example are shit)
>Always start with 40 lands and remove 1 for every 2 ramp cards
>Always start with every fucking fetchland possible that can at least grab 2 of the decks colors (I don't own any monocolor decks)
>Always start with every nonbasic land that has at least 2 of the decks basic land types except ABR duals
>Crucible of Worlds in EVERYTHING (on top of obvious staples such as Command Tower and Sad Robot of course)
>Hard minimum 33 creatures in creature heavy decks
>Hard minimum 20 creatures in everything else

Nath or Radha elf tribal?

Nath would be elf aggro with a discard subtheme and Radha would be elfball.

>Crucible of Worlds in EVERYTHING (on top of obvious staples such as Command Tower and Sad Robot of course)

What's it like, being rich?

Dude just buy one and swap it around.

My autism doesn't let me.

I feel you actually, good thing I only have two decks so I only need two copies.

Anyone?

>only two decks

I remember when I had only two decks... fucking 7 years ago.

>tfw I am addicted to deck building

Is $50 a reasonable price to pay for pic related's deck?

If it comes with blade of selves, yes

His wincons are what every big mono black deck is. Huge x spells through lots of mana or reanimator.

People rag on boros for being a one dimensional color, but mono black is nearly just as bad.

It comes with blade of selves, fiery confluence and magus of the wheel, for sure. No idea if there's any other valuable stuff

One dimensional color pairing. I'm not talking about what the color can do as a whole, but the direction the generals in the color do. Find me black generals that don't fall into. There's hardly any.

>reanimator
>big mana + X spells
>aggro

Urza's incubator and gisela.

And thought vessel

Yeah. Big black mana into either of those or strong reanimation targets.

Speaking of fiery confluence, why did that spike to $15?

Did something happen cuz shattering spree also spiked from like $3 to $15.

Doesn't the entire market basically go mad with speculation about theoretical decks anytime a new set is released?

Fiery Confluence sees play in Legacy IIRC. Also no reprints.

Looking for cuts and some advice for efficient token production and mana dorks for my 5 color Zada deck.
Basically it's a Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck which also uses the massive draw engine that is Zada to really get the combo going.

Now just to clarify, because there are a bunch of retards around, the commander is General Tazri, who handily fetches Zada.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-colour-zadatazri/

It's extremely good in Legacy

fiery confluence is even better in vintage than legacy actually

as far as shattering spree goes, good cards from old blocks like OG ravnica, even if they dont see much play in competitive formats, are normally more than $3, so it was due for a price jump but im not aware of what hype is causing it to go all the way up to $15

>having a "secret commander"
but what if your zada gets killed?

>fiery gambit
what

this whole thing seems like a house of cards. not the sort of decks i build. have you goldfish'd this at all?

Fiery Gambit is the best Zada card in existence.

yeah i guess that does seem cool. your deck doesn't really have any way to deal with removal though does it? how does it bounce back from a wrath or from zada getting path'd?

triton tactics doesnt work with zada right? that seems cuttable.

amulet of vigor does nothing for you except to counteract your large number of taplands. i get that you are on a budget but i dont think you need any scry-lands and can probably cut some tri-lands too, you could be running more painlands and more fastlands (the kaladesh ones arent that expensive)

i think you are sorely missing young pyromancer and monastery mentor

Just proxy, it's literally the exact same shit - ie. A piece of cardboard with words and pictures printed on it. This is commander not a legacy tournament.

How many reanimation instants even are there?

>triton tactics doesnt work with zada right?
>Up to two target creatures

As long as you don't pick a second target, it only targets zada.

oh right right "up to"

it still seems cuttable to me though because it doesnt draw you a card, and it doesnt really synergize with any of your other zada spells either, some of them give evasion, some pump, i dont think you want one that punishes blockers

wait nvm i cant read, but it still doesnt draw you a card so it still seems cuttable

>man plays recurrable reanimation
>have a mandatory mill-opponent enchantment
>switch to milling the other player
>"WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO MILL ME TO DEATH HE'S WINNING REEEEEE"

same thing with creature combat. maybe one of your opponents is winning but if you dont have a profitable attack, you might want to consider attacking the guy with less blockers and no mana up.

sometimes you have to all team up against the guy in first though and hold your fire even when you can really wreck somebody if you need their help

>no infinite combos(too easy)
>1 tutor max(not including cultivate and friends)
>every deck i make has to play completely differently than my others
>decks cannot share more then 2 cards(not including rocks and ramp)
>basics need to match theme of deck
>(most of the time) flavor/fun/nostalgia over optimization

I prefer my meatball. Although I do run both. What a shame that they ruined the art and has now a dried up horse in it.

I don't understand the dumb arbitary creature limit. I run like 4 creatures in my Hanna, not including her, and Jens is also something I don't understand. It's decent value in nongreen decks, but usually I'd just run a mana rock anyway.

>one dude keeps milling my Ayli deck
>turn after another, even though it's a 4 player game and I play reanimator, which I stated
>he also goes on to counter my Angel of despair when I was going to destroy Atraxa player's Mana reflection

who's a good commander if i want to build devoid eldrazi?

>always have a sol ring
>avoid MLD and other groaner cards
>adhere to a bit of flavor: would my commander allow this in his army
>always have atleast one big dumb splashy card in each deck
>normally have an even split among the color identity
>each commander must be in a unique sleeve, with my best ones having cheesy anime themed sleeves
>always have an answer to the decks own shit because you never know what could happen
>do my best to give each deck some means to draw, no matter the color
>always aim for bringing fun to the table, even in my cutthroat decks

>It was good when it first came out before no one realised the value of Teferis.
Who the fuck didn't take one look at that card and realize it was insane?

>all of these
A man after my own heart.

I think Circu, Dimir Lobotomist is very on theme (lobotomy, mindrape, etc), but sadly there is some anti-synergy there. It is still a very fun deck if you like Lantern control!

Lazav, Dimir Mastermind works very well with processors and exile based mill. When you put a creature from exile into an opponent's graveyard, he gets a chance to become a copy of it. But then again, you probably could have put that creature directly into the opponent's graveyard. There is some synergy though.

Scarab God has very similar synergy, and is probably better.

My only rule is that my landbase has to stand a chance against bloodmoon. The only deck I have that cant is a casual deck that was never intended to deal with those kinds of threats and would have to have the stars alighn to beat it. Its really great in case I want to play bloodmoon when I/my playgroup get bored and want to be more competetive.

>each commander must be in a unique sleeve, with my best ones having cheesy anime themed sleeves
>Someone tucks your commander
>It's a marked card

Feels sloppy.

>Last thread, all the buttmad sol ring talk

>Guys, you just gotta have REMOVAL in your deck
>Sol Ring isn't a problem at all! You just have to build your deck to be able to handle
>On the play
>Turn 1 Sol Ring + Lightning Greaves
>Turn 2 Arcum Dagsson

>Like, come on guys! If your 100 card singleton deck can't stop that reliably, you just didn't put enough removal in it!

h u e

you'd still need a 1-drop artifact creature

any deck can have a god hand, with or without sol ring

Yeah cuz a 100 card singleton deck can reliably turn 1 Sol Ring.

>Missing the point entirely

>any deck can have a god hand, with or without sol ring
I guess Mana Crypt does the job, too. So you aren't technically wrong.

Comes with all than and urzas incubator.

I've gotten a turn 3 Ramos with lightning greaves attached, so we should ban Basalt Monolith

Etali in Feldon of the Third Path, yay or nay?

t1 mana dork
t2 food chain, chain up, prossh, win the game

alternatively

t1 chrome mox, dark ritual, bomberman combo, win the game

any good deck can have a god hand with or without sol ring

i wouldn't mind if it was banned, but people like you overreact to its presence in the format

Anything that ramps equal to or more than its CMC is abuse-able. Sol Ring and Mana Crypt are just the worst among them.

>tucking a commander

Tuck is dead.

>mindlsaver someone just so you can tuck their commander

seems real fun

go for it

Commanders don't have to be tucked anymore. If they change zones at all they can go back to the command zone. Aside from changing from the command zone to the battlefield, of course.

Now if you want to fuck a Commander you need something like Lignify.

Queen Marchesa enchantress and Angelic Renewal - does this work like I think it does? Opponent attacks with two strong creatures, I chump block with Marchesa, Marchesa dies, Angelic Renewal triggers, I sacrifice it, Queen Marchesa returns to the battlefield, my monarch trigger goes on the stack, I take the damage from the other creature, opponent gets a Monarch trigger last, then my Monarch trigger resolves after theirs, and I keep Marchesa and the crown?

Every card you add to a combo exponentially decreases its odds of finding it in an opening hand.

the t2 arcum scenario you laid out is a 3-card combo, counting the cheap artifact creature to sac.

in a deck that has black, you could replace sol ring with dark ritual in a similar scenario without adding any extra cards to the "combo"

>3-card combo,
2 card. You can sac Sol Ring.

At that point its irrelevant, you can do anything to them

>Target artifact creature's controller sacrifices it.

have you never played arcum?

RIP memnite

Notably, 0-cost artifact creatures are a 4-of in Dagsson singleton.

Rip your 2 card combo

for sure, but i can equally say the same about rituals in my sidisi ant deck.

it would be a little bit weaker without fast mana for sure, but it would still get those god hands that win on turn 2 fairly often.

>it would be a little bit weaker without fast mana for sure, but it would still get those god hands that win on turn 2 fairly often.
Exactly the point. How many cards enable those hands as often as Sol Ring/Crypt?

let's see... i'm running dark ritual, cabal ritual, culling the weak, rain of filth, bubbling muck, mox opal, mox diamond, chrome mox, lotus petal, LED, and to a lesser extent krark-clan ironworks and songs of the damned

>he doesn't use mindslaver to force players to tuck their commanders and then get dq'd for cheating with marked cards.

Speaking of which, what are your favorite Sol Ring related opening hands? :0-

My favorite is

>Alesha general
>Red & black source in hand

>Turn 1 land, sol ring
>Turn 2 land, entomb a Master of Cruelties, play Alesha
>Turn 3 murder

damage happens simultaneously.

So what happens, is that your opponent gets a monarch trigger as marchessa dies. Angelic renewal then triggers and marchessa comes back, after damage and the monarcy has passed. you then get to be monarch. But there is a distinct period in time where you aren't.

Hey /EDH/
I've come back after some major modifications.
Very new to EDH, looking to improved my Grimlock Semi-Silver boarder deck.
I've read a ton of EDH guides over the last week now, so I'm looking for human input before I bother to sleeve something up.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grimlock-king-2/

So, what you are saying is literally none of those are even remotely equal to Sol Ring because they are largely mono-black sources?

Cool cool.

Also
>There are idiots like this fool alive *right now* that play EDH as a competitive format