WIP - Work In Progress General

Work In Progress, "Waiting for the paint to dry" edition.

>WIP Secret Santa unboxings
imgur.com/a/qS7PH

>WIP Secret Santa Poll:
strawpoll.me/14692516

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nT_EaryRNsM
youtube.com/watch?v=kSjKvyCFLLI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reposting

What paints would I need for that skin?

I had asked in the last thread about painting and highlighting my Space Marines in Khaki, and received some good advice. What colors would you recommend for a Texas Ranger themed chapter? Its relevant to the khaki basecoat question. (I usually paint Guard, but thougjt it would be fun to try something different)

And done! At least for now. Not sure what else to work on so I'm calling Malakim here finished. Really happy with how the sword turned out and scratches on the armor. Also I dirtied up the legs and changed the colours on the wrist strap. Thanks for all the help and critiques you anons gave to me during period.

I'd go with Flayed One Flesh, a thin shade of Agrax (heavier in the recesses) then highlight with Flayed One again.

So, I just ordered a box of incubi, how scared/worried should I be about warping, ait bubbles, etc. Considering they're resin?

Khaki, turquiose and a red/yellow pop.

Mephiston Red with Evil Sunz Scarlet and Wild Rider Red to highlight. And Kanto Blue with Caledor Sky and Russ Grey to highlight. For the white? Celestra grey, then White scar.

Warping will 100% occur. Hot water or a heat gun
Air bubbles, maybe? They aren't that big of a concern but will be annoying

thanks

Did you reinforce that somehow or is the whole thing supported by that claw?

Hey /WIP/, I need to make replacement Axe Blade for my Relic Halberd, Suggestions?

Its pinned

What would be a good way to make a replacment Axe Blade /WIP/?

>Pic Related since its what needs a new blade.

Really? Man that sucks. Any tips or other things to look out for?

Should I go Sky Blue or Red for my Marines?
They're blood angels successors so red feels right, but I've never really painted a blue army before and it might look nice.

Please help /wip/

I think the lightning on the sword is a bit thick but apart from that he's turned out great

Hey it's me your favorite primarch Rugal Dan. Check out this rainbow gaunt.

>rainbow gaunt.
what are you, gay?

I don't get it

All Blood Angel chapters use or implement red in their armor colours (except for one...). Even the Carmine Blades who were once an Ultramarine chapter (until Astorath kindly informed them that those psychotic freak outs they were having was not a really bad headache but in fact the black rage) changed their armor to red and even adopted the Blood Angel's heraldry.

The point I am trying to make is The Red Thirst , The Black Rage, and death of best primarch is really important to these chapters because it's a "flaw" they all share.

Doesn't mean you can't use blue or are forced to use red. Just think on what you want this chapter to stand for and just how serious they regard their flaw and their ancestry.

Blue is a nice colour though and easier to paint then red.

I agree. I think I didn't have the first layer subtle enough so when I painted the white it came out as too thick. I think a glaze of blue on the edges will clean it up though. Thinned down of course.

Hot water to straighten the swords.

To fill in gaps and bubbles, I get a little dab of greenstuff and heat it a bit with some warm water so it is very soft. Place it on the problem area and press it in with whatever tool you're using, a paperclip can work if you're super cheap. press it in then scrape away the excess.

YT also has dozens of videos on this

Looks pretty gay.

Gants are cute, but I don't understand the joke...

Thanks, sucks that resin models come with so many problems so frequently apparently.

Only his base is rainbow, you lied, that is not a rainbow gaunt. He is orange, yellow, white, and black.

I still need an idea on how to make a replacement blade here.

I would include red somewhere. Maybe their shoulder pads?

I dont know why, but on first glance he looks like a girl with a weird tumblrstyle haircut.

Maybe its his red lipstick.

Otherwise looks dope, tho

>Lamentors are a Blood Angel successor chapter
Huh, I did not know that. Their deeds don't really make you think of them having the freakouts from Back Rage, is Red Thirst and Black Rage just as present in their chapter as it is in the others or more subdued/missing altogether?

Sounds good. Where should I focus the red/yellow and turquoise?

Just fuck off and try something, christ

>Just fuck off and try something, christ
This, but maybe a bit nicer.
Seriously, grab your bits box and dig through it until you're holding a fistful of blades, and start dry fitting.

>Counts-as-Doppelganger
Noice.
I'm going to go with the Bowler had and maybe try to add a book and cane, use her as a female Ferdinand Vogel.
Using a Reaper ape man or yeti as the Beast.

>Nvb Doppelganger to much for my Guild, Miss Anne Thrope with Lucius
That was pretty much my thoughts on not using the Doppel with my Lucius.
At least the creepy children have (nearly) all their skin on.

yeah I call bullshit, you're just gonna base over that

Lamenters are a distrusted chapter because they were created during the Cursed Founding. Blood Angels aren't all that trusted to begin with cause, surprise surprise, drinking blood and being prone to going ape shit with a chance of going MEGA FUCKING APE SHIT kinda leave people concerned. So Lamenters tried to stay pretty far from their parent chapter as a means lessen any distrust to them. This worked somewhat well until they Black Rage which for a time was dormant in their gene-seed kicked in and made their ancestry undeniable.

As of right now their Chapter Master Malakim Phoros seems to be at the breaking point of falling to the Black Rage. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned every time he fights the Red Thirst takes hold just a little more.

Thanks for the compliment. Unsure if I agree with him looking like a chick though, also I thought I toned down the lips enough to look natural. Anyways I tried to base him off this pic.

>use her as a female Ferdinand Vogel.
Neat idea; I just ordered my Vogel, I think it'll be a very fun thing to run with Lucius, with the added bonus that he plays with my main faction, Arcanist. Doppelganger copying Vogel's Censure seems like it could be very frustrating for the opponent.

On a note not related to that. I just picked up a Dark Imperium box set, and was trying to decide on a color scheme for the chaos. I was thinking a magenta color scheme. All I see online is shades of green or white, with the occasional black.

I should have mentioned that it was regarding using Plasticard Greenstuff
I am fairly new to the hobby nd my weapon bits are low in Blades outside of Swords and Boltguns.Even then that was one of the three axes I had.

Just a fair warning, if you didn't get a response the first two times, there's no reason to keep asking until you actually try something. Now I dont know what plasticard greenstuff is, but if you have greenstuff you can try to make a 2 part mold of the axe head with it, just google how to cast bits with greenstuff. Other than that, just order more bits, they're cheap.

Well, there was a Land Raider Sponson Shell I got with some Mk4 Marines, Maybe I can try Making that into a Blade.

First Alpha Legion Inceptor tips and thoughts appreciated.

Anyone have any Emperor's Children painting images, post and pre heresy?

Would I be good using Pink Horror or Screamer Pink(not sure which I have) as a highlight for xereus purple?

mouldlines, use shade, drill barrels, practice highlights, look up eye lense tutorials, dont paint on the stem, use more colours.

Forgot to ask here but also what's a good way to get gold over black primer? Someone said do red then gold, but should I go for Gehennas Gold or Leadbelcher or something?

brown works best as a base for gold

Okay sweet. Thank you. Any tips for the Purple?

If you're doing pre-heresy, vallejo royal purple+metal medium

Kind of a mix of both. A lot of MKIII and I went with some of the more classic looking heads. Mostly wondering about highlights, if pink would be a good idea

i do my highlight by mixing the purple i use with white. Pretty much ends up pink, so should work for you

>"Ah fuck, that's where Bob went..."

Great job user.

him having metallic armour but a yellow helmet sets my OCD off

Don't forget the badab war
*laughs in preferred enemy*

youtube.com/watch?v=nT_EaryRNsM
youtube.com/watch?v=kSjKvyCFLLI

I think I understand what you're getting at. Paint the helmet blue, and half the body red with the other half white, right? Kinda like the flag?

Thanks

Sorry, I thought it looked cool. Helps it pop out from the rest of the armor.

Nobody likes you Minotaurs

That works though is gonna be some work. Just in my head I was thinking red helmet, white armor, blue gloves and boots.

What colours are used to paint this kind of golden helmet? The Sanguniary Guard on the app says it's brass but I tried that and it's too dark.

This is what I meant here not great and certainly could be better but I hope it helps.

Retributor Armour for the base. Wash with Reikland Fleshshade, repaint with Retributer avoiding the recesses where the wash sits. Edge highlight with Liberator Gold and at the very tips and edges use Stormhost Silver or Runefang Steel.

>Retributor Armour for the base. Wash with Reikland Fleshshade, repaint with Retributer avoiding the recesses where the wash sits. Edge highlight with Liberator Gold and at the very tips and edges use Stormhost Silver or Runefang Steel.

That's too yellow.

Retributor Armor is too yellow? I think you're thinking of Auric.

Ret is very yellow too.

>Lamenters are a Blood Angel successor chapter
>Huh, I did not know that.

The Lamenters have been around since First Edition. As pointed out, they were on the wrong side of the Badab War (First Edition) and, as noted, were a product of the Cursed Founding (Third Edition). It wasn't until the Fifth Edition Blood Angels codex that they were officially labeled as Blood Angels successors. They don't even rate a mention in the Seventh Edition book, though, which introduced the Carmine Blades.

It's given me some ideas. Thanks! I'll set one aside and give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

Try Balthasar -> Gehenna -> Runefag

I did a quick mock up on a spare helmet I already had primed using the same methods I posted here
The only difference is I didn't repaint the helmet with Ret after applying the wash because I did it very thin.

And here it is again using this anons suggestion. Unfortunately my Balthasar pot is pretty dried up so the coats I applied to the helmet came out way too thick. Hopefully it helps colour wise to see if it matches what you are looking for.

*boop*

Are the Primaris from the small Dark Imperium box set?

Yep. Me and a buddy split it. Can't beat 5 intercessors, 5 hellblast and a gravis captain for 35 bucks.

Hey, fellas. It's your favorite Primarch again, Rangle Dan here. I painted some stupid bullshit for your enjoyment. Fuck stripes, they ghey.

I don't get this joke.

Paint the stripes scrub.

Stripes are the best part of Thousand Sons minis

So these are the first models I've ever painted. They're just green army men, since I don't want to practice on any more expensive models. I figure I can use them to get the basics down.

What would you guys recommend I do from here? I recognize that this is effectively just a base coat.
The only techniques I've really tried so far was rusting their helmets, and putting mud on their boots.

Other side

Hi fellas, your primarch Ragol Dan here again with some new stuff

Try some darker and lighter paint on their faces to create a realistic face for them.

There is so little detail on army men that it's difficult to do the basics (like edge highlighting) to them. You're coats are thin, and you can paint in the lines good enough. I would say you should just dish out the dosh for a few chap minis. I know GW sells starter sets for painters.

Once you get something with better detail, just follow the Duncan tutorials to learn how to wash, edge highlight, and so on.

Read the first post. Check out the painting guides. Thin your paints. Drink your paint water. Follow these steps and Duncan will smile upon thee.

I'm about to be done with this I just need to finish up painting my boys.

My quest to thin my paints enough and get good brush control continues, but overall I am fairly happy with how this guy came out. It was sort of my first time trying to glaze (the cape and skin), and the skin was the only part I was really sort of happy with. I just straight up used the incorrect colors for the cape, tried to use Warpstone as the next step up from Caliban and it was way too bright.

Anyone have any criticisms before I seal and varnish this dude?

I'll do that as soon as I get more than one skin tone paint.
I guess I can try mixing some shades.

Thanks, I'll go check that out.

How much do you thin your paints?
I tried that, but it seemed to invariably make the paint too thin to stick to the model properly. (I probably had about a 1/4 to 1/3 thinner to paint ratio).

From what I understand, you want your paint to have the consistency of milk when it's on your palette, but I could be mistaken.

That's wayyyyy to much thinner. You want it thin enough that you don't lose any detail. Most people say the consistency of milk. On a ages I'd say like 8 to 1 paint to thinner.

'Ere We Go 'ERE WE GO!!!!

Not a bad first attempt at glazing though you are correct, you need a mid tone between those two greens. Also paints are looking thin though there is room for improvement, good job all the same.

>Ragol Dan
literally who?

The fact that Blood Angels successors are all just different shades of red makes them really visually boring, IMO.

Like, Lamenters get to be Lemon-ters, and Fleshtearers get the black accents, but most of them are just "Blood Angels with a different logo"

So
Go with Blue, with Red as an accent colour on the Aquilas or shoulder pads or helmets or something.

Remember that Blood Angels Devestators have blue helmets. Blue is a perfectly acceptable Blood Angels colour choice.

Some user that keeps posting shit that's not his. I have no idea what for, seems like low-tier trolling.

Does anyone have advice for painting the blueish white skin shone on this model? I'm getting one soon and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

Black Rage and Red Thirst were apparently 'cured' by their Cursed Founding geneseed tampering, with the side effect of Bad Luck.

Huh, my paints might already be thin enough then, or at least fairly close. (It's Testor's enamel paints, it was a Christmas gift)

Really thin layers of white on a blue underlayer?

Like, glazing with white style?

>enamel
do yourself a favour, stop using that as soon as you can and switch to accrylics

How would one go about for pic related's colors? Trying to do this from a chapter creation bread awhile back

The ragol daniels of the world appear to have been hanging out and painting together today, considering all of those photos are taken in the same room.

Try to avoid using enamel paints on minis in the future. They can be a nightmare to deal with, since they're toxic, need chemicals to thin, and stripping the paint runs a serious risk of destroying the mini. Water based acrylic is your absolute best bet. Don't feel obligated to get Citadel brand paints: I use Vallejo more often, myself.

shove the minis up your ass

Follow the Cadian scheme in the Citadel App?

Looks pretty similar.

I know, I know, they were a gift though. I can't really return them.

Also, what range of colors do you recommend keeping on hand? Just for general all around use.