Modern mexico as a setting

>modern mexico as a setting
How would you make it work?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/20186128/#20186159
youtube.com/watch?v=o88xfAldTqI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you can't make it work. it's fucked.

Did you serious make this as a counter to this Did you actually post this How do you not realise this thread is just as shit and is almost certainly going to descend into retarded political shitflinging? Delete your fucking thread OP, holy shit, you are king retard for today.

Wasn't me and I don't have any mexican-themed images to perv it up.
>no t&a in the op
>thread withers and dies
Really makes you think, huh?

Everything political is tied up in the drug wars. The police fight the cartels constantly, and it can get really hellish.

Magical Realism

I made a setting like this back in high school:

*modern (early 19th century) fantasy, set in the mexican revolution
*weird west style
*"humans only"
*take the role of a member of an illegal guerrilla group (actually funded by the authors of the revolution) formed out of disgruntled low-class rural workers
*objective is to invade certain villas (the dungeons) and either recruit their rich owners to the cause or wreck their lives
*heavy emphasis on the afterlife
*you are actually the bad guy cuz Im clever

The party are a squad of quirky cartel mercenaries fighting peasant militias in the 2014 Michoacan civil war.

Send all the undesirables north.

When in doubt, slap every single facet of Mexican history together.

>but modern-
No, that kind of shit never works even if you're going cyberpunk, because it just ends up being a hackneyed, possibly historical satire of the country in question anyway. See how Shadowrun Aztlan has almost nothing to do with modern mexico.

If you're willing to just take from history, you can have cowboys and aztecs and ronin (yes, ronin) and conquistadors and a runaway confederate regiment and everything you could ever want in one setting. And where that starts to feel too much, start slicing off what you don't like and build a setting out of what's left.

Funny how he stopped posting selfies after his face was disfigured by shrapnel.

Aztecs, but with GUNS

Some faggo sjw breaks a magic totem thinking it was religious oppression against mayan culture and unleashes every south american folklore creature into the physical world.
Now you gotta piss on the dipshit's corpse while you hunt down fucking chupacabras before they overrun towns.

By setting up a Home Depot

> Now you gotta piss on the dipshit's corpse while you hunt down fucking chupacabras before they overrun towns.
10/10 would play.

>cartel-related disappearances have been growing more frequent
>gruesomely mutilated corpses and body parts have been showing up in waterways
>local law enforcement is generally too corrupt and untrustworthy to look into it, especially of late
>an alcoholic ex-cop, a vengeful widow, a CIA gringo and a drug runner trying to go straight join forces to investigate
>Call of Cthulhu

Isn't there a cartel queen that's particularly ruthless and brutal, but also a total qt and THICC to boot?

Was. She died several years ago. She was a major hand in the cocaine business in Miami.

One google search later I find myself wishing there was a Mexican Kenjutsu or something to go along with Brazilian Jujitsu

How'd she die? Overdose or lead-dose?

Her name is Griselda Blanco, and the latter.

Watch "Cocaine Cowboys" if you haven't. It's a documentary that basically explains how Miami was built on the back of cocaine.

Playing a similar game in Hunter The Vigil. It's pretty much Sicario mixed with Seven Psychopaths with the head cartel boss being a high level vampire and his high level enforcers being ghouls, slashers, or occasionally psychics. So far we've come across 3 of the head vampire's "Sinful 7", his top enforcers who embody one of the seven deadly sins.

So far the plot has had some twist and turns as the reason each person in the group wants the head vamp killed is different. It also ties into Masquerade politics as the vampire has been capturing/shovelheading illegals that get deported so he can bleed them dry of vitae so he can create his high level drug for the rich clientele. It's pretty much vamp blood mixed with cocaine he calls Lovebite. It allows the user to gain the effects of being a ghoul without the blood bond effect but is highly addictive anyway. So now were trying to find out if we were set up by other vamps to take him out because Masquerade violation stuff or if we're still fighting the good fight against drugs, crime, and psychopathic blood suckers.

everyone eats refried beans and meth

My group just got a new settings.

that skull stuff is pretty cool

I suggest the main BBFS (Big Bad Faggot SJW) should be called Gabby Rivera.
Also, have a group of faggots, not just one. I suggest one of those "progressive" art movements. You can later use them as zombie cannon fodder

>having griselda as your waifu
No, the girl I'm talking about is mexican and more recent

Watch a bunch of Robert Rodriguez movies and make something like that.

i like it

Wall it off.

change CIA to DEA and you got yourself a great setting. Or you ripped Narcos. Either is good.

Narcos is really great too. I'll check out cocaine cowboys

Modern Mexico is pretty much a Shadowrun dystopia already, albeit with less cyberpunk and more Cabelleros de los Caminos -- like Street Samurai, but more Spaghetti Western inflence.

>that pic
Santa Muerte is too good NOT to use in any such setting.

Corta la cabeza

The exciting game of rape, torture, robbbery, death, and chaos!

ITT: people pretend to know how modern mexico is based on Hollywood.

My girlfriend and her dad got robbed and almost kidnapped within 4 hours in Mexico. They lied their asses off to convince them they weren’t Americans or have any American family. It’s a shithole.

My girlfriends mom got abducted in a Midwest suburb

why did you kidnap your girlfriend's mom? was she hot or just giving you a hard time about dating her underaged daughter to obtain ethical cp?

Feels like a very walled in idea

Do a game set in the Mexican Revolution instead

Can we just have a day of the dead thread instead?

You can't, they will migrate to the next system for proper warfare

Well you're right. No one mentions two VERY important things going on down in Mexico. So you got the cartels (which are closer to cults of personality than actual organizations at this point), you got the corrupt cops, you got the super drugs, you got the chupacabras, las lloronas, all sorts of shit mentioned in this thread. What no one has talked about is the emerging Chinese presence and the emerging African presence. It's a similar situation like with New Zealand, Australia, Canada and Africa, you got a bunch of Chinese families pooling together money to buy out real estate, driving up the cost of living for normal non-cartel familias. The Chinese don't come alone, they have their own drug gangs that are fixing to take over. It's one of the reasons why you see a lot of illegals coming up in America and having anchor babies, the cost of living is high because of the chinks.

And then you got the African "refugee" trade going on. No, I don't actually know HOW the Africans are there, but they are there. And they're willing to work cheaper and live in shittier houses than the native Mexicans (It's closer to slavery, like in Modern Africa with China running things). So the Africans are pushing out the natives, taking their jerbs, and the Chinese are pushing them out of their real estate. Combined with the drug wars, and the civil wars, you can see why we want that shithole walled off. It's a ticking meat grinder ready to go off.

When DACA fails and we send back those ungrateful fucks, THAT will set shit off.

I'm pretty sure the Fallout setting is already well fleshed out and has an RPG or two dedicated to it.

There's also the fact that almost everyone knows at least a little bit about ancient Egypt, but only americans (as in people from the continent, not the US) know anything about mexican folklore.

Pretty much the only thing I've got is a vague awareness that the Day of the Dead is a thing.

This is an actually very insightful post, and highlights one of the lesser mentioned or noticed issues of globalism - it plays right into China and any criminal networks hands.

Though this thread is now making me really want to play some sort of WoD meets cyberpunk meets Gangsters 2 game.

I've never played a proper PnP rpg in my life though so maybe it would be shit.

Mexican folklore is a fusion of the tradition of the natives (which varies significantly by region) and the spanish catholic church. It's very much a split from the normal catholic belief system, ie there's beliefs from the 1500s that hold over today that aren't part of modern Catholic behavior. For example, the position on homosexuality (modern pope is a globalist cuck and pushes for it), where Mexicans tend to despise the gays. There's still very much a machismo culture to them, so being gay is a bad thing.

The real interesting bit is that since there's still a lot of native traditions, there's still many superstitions that hold over. Like their fear of ghosts, el cucuy and la llorona (later being Spanish, former being native). The native traditions + Catholic teachings ingrain a sort of spiritual knowledge, which gives way to some super fucked up shit. Witchcraft, as a result, is immensely popular. Las Brujas get a lot of money to do their work (even if it's a scam 99% of the time). And you better believe the Mexicans love them some Mother Mary and the Saints worship. Go to any wal mart in the southwest, and you'll see many many Jesus, Mary and Saints candles. Their native polytheism blends in rather well the with saint pantheon. You've already got the start of a Mexican setting, cartels, chinese, africans (can throw in shamanism if you want as well), brujeria, freaky animals, Coke Cola addiction, so on so forth.

This is a great thread to draw some inspiration from if you want to go balls deep in Mexico. archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/20186128/#20186159

Presumably it would be like Mexico today.

Kind of a dumb question, OP.

samefag

Wrong.
These are me

Stat me and my hombres, gringo.

Position relative to the wall: other side

Isn't La Llorona something to do with those alternate versions of the Jesus story that street orphans came up with to explain why the world is such a shitty place?

As far as I know La llorona goes back to the aztecs

Latinas are my magical realm

If you're looking for this archetype, you could use Judy Monacada from Narcos for insperation

Wow, he really got BTFO!

I would run it as Tom Clancy's Wildlands, except Mexico rather than Bolivia. Have the party go around trying to destabilize the regional powerhouse while contending corrupt politicians and their police/military lackeys, smaller rival cartels, local militias and vigilantes, public opinion (in cases where the cartel is seen as a sort of "Robin Hood" organization), and occasionally even rival agents with their own motives. Got all that? Now try to have the party try to set these factions against each other in a way that benefits them the most. You can get a lot of cool little scenarios like that.
>need to secure an informant, but time is short, intel says that the military are planning an assault on his location
>learn that a smaller cartel is in a bit of slump and might end up getting absorbed by the Big One unless the party intervenes
>a charismatic young vigilante is gathering the big militia groups in the region to debate a "grand alliance" of sorts to combat the cartels and the police that are in their pockets
>the party has to protect him against the assassination attempts that are almost certain to come his way
>interfere with a cartel/military liaison in such a way that the military is convinced that the cartel needs to be castigated
>a particularly bold cartel leader makes an appearance a large regional festival, and will be the best, maybe only chance the party has at assassinating him
>can they pull it off, and if they do, can they escape the large, angry mobs that are sure to come after them?

I think I know who you're talking about, but I can't remember her name

>ronin
Explain. This sounds interesting.

I would use this:
youtube.com/watch?v=o88xfAldTqI
Not exactly modern Mexico but still...
Also bump, don't you dare to die on me.

Actually nigger, I'm mexican and "lol narcos and beheadings" is a pretty accurate portrayal of how the country is right now.

Gee, it's almost as if the literal battleground of a country combined with the freakshow of an electoral process we have would take your attention away from immigration issues, you amerimutt projection is showing. Both of you are pretentious idiots assuming you are not samefagging.

Man, I remember posting with him on old /pol/.

Those were the days.

Some ancient native magic has given native separatists in the south immense power and wealth, allowing them to rival the mexican army. A great war is being waged, and in war there is a great deal of money to be made. They say that El Dorado is real, and that it is somewhere on the border between the Native State and Mexico. The Native State seeks to acquire it for religious purposes, the Mexican Army wants it to fund the war, and treasure hunters want it for the money, fame and excitement.

To make matters worse, or perhaps better, a herd of giant psychic crustaceans have washed up and have conquered Baja California Sur. They have built a pearl city, and are seeking to reclaim the whole Californian Peninsula in the name of their primordial ancestors that once ruled here. They are not necessarily hostile to humans, but demand tribute from them. The Mexican Army has not been able to prevent their rapid spread. American troops have been stationed in northern Baja California to defend against the oncoming lobster onslaught.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the cult of Santa Muerte has produced an unnamed messianic figure. The Vatican has sent officials to track down an finally end the cult. There are reports that the Swiss Guard have been sent in as well. This corresponds with a new species of deadly fungus being discovered that grows upon corn kernels.

Lazy lizards that live in a proxy state ruled by pseudomafias. Its an awful place so nobody but those forced too stay or the rich actually live there and they're all making a run for the borders.

The main villain kidnaps your father and brother, beheads your dad in front of you, and flays your brother alive. You escape and seek vengeance only to step on the toes of another villain who cut your hands and feet off, rips your face off, and makes small cuts in your skin until you bleed to death.

There are no motivations, there is no over-arching plot, there is no purpose. Only torture and death.

If I were running a game set in Mexico, I'd have it involve cartels and brujería.

No idea how those can be combined, but it sounds neat in my head. Pic related.

I just watched a webm on /gif/ where cartel members vivisected the innocent young teenage son of a cop that reported on a rival gang.

It made me realize we just need to kill them all.

He does not "push for it". He actually preaches tolerance. You know "love thy neighbour". That central message in half that book called bible.

Narcos has Cthulhus?

Santa Muerte's arrival is hastening. She has chosen you as the first of her champions, to use the powers of Death to bring down the cartels and corrupt officials who plague her faithful. If Mexico City is to become a successful supernatural Death Cult utopia in the very near future, you've got to get work doing your Hotline Miami thing with the assistance of some minor Death-related superpowers and magic items.

I like this. Despite the shit that gets thrown at it, I really loved Wildlands.
>Rival agents are gunning for the same target, and they don't like sharing.
>alternatively, friendly competition and occasional cooperation when things get too dicey

I thought pissing on it was the way to deal with mummies?

Love thy neighbor does not mean allowing your neighbor to commit sin and evil.

Hate the sin, not the sinner, user.
The Gospel of the Christ is implicitly about forgiveness and acceptance of others even if they do wrong.
It's amusing that the rise of thought like /pol/ could only exist in a place where the influence of Christianity (as it is written not not how Catholics practice) and it's precepts wane. Islam, with it's far more ruthless edicts, actually aligns more to their creed, and the irony is delicious.

A campaign where operators are hired by private contractors to fight cartels. Something like Sicario.

>>When DACA fails and we send back those ungrateful fucks, THAT will set shit off.
Looking forward to this, desu

A cyberpunk setting without the cyber parts.

they do in one of the Delta Green books