/kdm/ Kingdom Death: Monster (KD:M)

I have no idea if I did this correctly.

>What is Kingdom Death: Monster?
Prologue Narration: youtu.be/FNLc8dHv0Ac

Monster is a board game about surviving in the darkness. You play a bunch of cavemen stuck inside the world of Kingdom Death, a setting full of freaky (and sometimes psycho-sexual) monsters. The current version is 1.5.

Your goal is to arm your survivors and grow your settlement over 20-30 'lantern years', in an effort to overcome the mysterious odds that are against you. The game has 3 phases:
1. Hunt: You hunt down monsters for resources
2. Showdown: Fight them
3. Settlement: Return with the goods to build, innovating and sacrificing - all to strengthen your survivors

A maximum of 20-30 sessions are expected for a successful campaign. Shorter campaigns will be available in 2019-2020.

>tl;dr
It's basically Warhammer Quest meets Monster Hunter meets Berserk meets Sid Meier's Civilization.

>Official Sites
kingdomdeath.com/
twitter.com/kingdomdeath

>1.5 Rulebook photographs (yet to be fully scanned)
sendspace.com/file/gcd7jz

>Official FAQ and Living Glossary
kingdomdeath.com/faq/
kingdomdeath.com/wp/living-glossary/

>Other
Official build guides: build.kingdomdeath.com/
Upgrade 1.3 to 1.5 guide: kingdomdeath.com/wp/upgrade-to-1-5-edition/
Unofficial lore and miniature build guides: vibrantlantern.com/
1.5 Core Game and 1.3 expansion miniature info image: i.imgur.com/t0clW3a.jpg
Gambler's Chest (coming in 2nd half of 2018) miniature info image: i.imgur.com/A64r2Ar.jpg

>Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/raw/L0zFRLsx

Other urls found in this thread:

kingdom-death.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Monsters
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Started playing this a couple times a week with a friend. Butcher just about wiped the floor with us. Game is incredibly unforgiving.

Are there any rules that you just flat out said "fuck it" and cheated?

For me it's rolling 1-5 on Conviction. Losing all your settlements stored resources for 50% chance is just plain retarded.

What's people's early strat for vanilla? I feel like trying to fight the antelope before Butcher is setting yourself up to get shit on. Is the likely gear from one antelope worth all the shit that's gonna get broken on his superdense hit locations? Meanwhile three lions means probably a pair of katars, one or two armor pieces for everybody, and no chance of breaking any of your basic bone gear.

Not that it'll survive the butcher fight, but at least you'll have it at the start.

Am I going to run out of pieces faster if I mix and match set pieces? I feel like there's some kind of limiting factor that is going to get me

no

Spoilering due to game-ruining meta. Only look if you are trying to minmax hard, preferably after losing to the Gold Smoke Knight once or twice.

Winning the game is about having as many resources possible, which is largely established in early game. You go for lion until you have the circlet and maybe harp, since those tools are the basis for playing showdowns. Ideal early-game weapon setup is two beast katars(one each for two survivors), the cat bow with claw arrow, and one maybe two king spears. One or two sets of rawhide and only one lion set at most. The idea is that you are going to be fighting a ton of antelopes with that kit since high luck means more drops from hit locations. Your spearman will be upgraded to screaming set due to the spear buff to it. The sooner you can get shields the better. You'll mostly skip on phoenix since most of its gear isn't meta, however it does have Iron in the form of black skull in its drops. You need that iron to prepare for as many beacon shields as possible and a lantern glaive, since these can be oxidized post-watcher.

Yesterday I was in a situation that I Rule of Death'd because I couldn't find a definitive answer, or any answer at all, actually.

Are saviors survivors? Specifically newborn survivors once you roll them from the Intimacy. Do they benefit from Survival of the Fittest, Barbaric, Clan of Death?

As of now this question is pretty much just a curiosity, as that savior had to age herself to somewhere around 14 xp, which made her the murder victim.

I would assume that Saviors are Survivors in addition to their Savior status, and benefit from the works of your village accordingly.

Are there any HQ scans of the 1.3 expansion rulebooks or components?

We pulled Murder 3 times in a row

We skipped the 3rd one and drew again.

Yes saviors are survivors.

All saviors are survivors, not all survivors are saviors etc.

One of the hunt events that just says "Everyone dies". There's absolutely no challenge or luck to it. Events like that just shouldn't exist. At least with the ones that say "roll and something horrible might happen, don't and you'll be safe" there's a choice to make and you can blame getting fucked up on your greed for more materials. But rocks falling? Nah, fuck that.

To be fair though, I think it's just the one event that kills all of your hunting survivors instantly.

To be honest, I drop bone weapons ASAP just because of that shit. I really hate breaking weapons in RPGs in general.

>dead thread
The end of February can’t come soon enough

think you mean mid april

On this note, how the fuck does hunt 63 - Feet work? If everyone is insane they flat out die?

This is why I can't wait for expansions to restock to get gorm. I hate Kingdom Death: Lion

Yep.
The SOTF safety net wasn't in 1.3, either. Only came with 1.5.

I chose PtY

Then you pay the price. You'll have much more meat for the grinder, but sometimes it's gonna get ground.

>What's people's early strat for vanilla?
Hunt lions for King's Spear, Cat Gut Bow, and Cat's Eye Circlet at the least. Ideally, you also want some Great Cat Bone for Zanbato as soon as you can build the weapon crafter. Along the way, you'll pick up other cheap essentials like Rawhide and Grease. If getting the essentials takes annoyingly long you may end up with Katars and/or a second armor set. IMO while Pounce is nice the resources are better spent for Rawhide #2 or Leather. Switch to the antelope as soon as you've got the good stuff, even if it's pre-butcher. Especially with no chance of being STUCK with a Lion 2 on the Antelope 1 hunt anymore, it's not actually that much harder, you just don't want to be fucking up frail weapons. Antelope will be your farm for most of the game (upgrading to L2 when you have dash and a 4-5 survival limit, plus decent weapon+survivor strength. Post-Lantern Oven would be pretty common) unless you badly need hides or a replacement for one of the lion essentials.

The Phoenix is a right bitch who is not to be trifled with, even at level 1, because it can fuck you up six ways from sunday in the hunt and fight alike. There's some good shit that needs Phoenix resources, but I'd never put the time chicken on farm.

Your goal for the endgame is probably Blacksmith, including the Lantern Armor and Beacon Shield, which early on dictates that you want Ammonia and spare leather to have a steady supply of picks.

more like end november

i was talking mid april 2019 for the gambler chest

And I said end november 2021 for the 1.0 expansions.

I never say Dormenatus et cetera in a loud, booming voice.

"Your survivor has the Witch constellation and you forgot to call out the one HL we all knew was there thanks to Cat's Eye? Sure, fine, have the Witch effect on that HL"

>Lantern Armor

You waste so much metal on lantern armor that could be better used for endgame gear. In addition, it doesn't help you against Gold Smoke Knight that much.

Successfuly put together my Holiday Twilight Knight, but the Holiday White Speaker is giving me issues. So many pieces that need to connect.

I’m not sure if *anything* helps against GSK defensively, considering he deals 6 minimum on practically every hit with a significant amount of that damage being AoE auto-damage and/or dealt to every location.
Not to mention trying to gear to crack Toughness 27

I wonder if GSK is getting somehow nerfed if there is this LY 35 expansion coming.

I mean, if not... are you getting there even once in a hundred tries?

Armor is the only thing that looks to help against GSK and get you another couple rounds before destruction. He does enough autohits that stacked evasion BS that disrespects most of the other endbosses like Death of the Dragon King is worthless.

That said, he's a REAL tough nut to crack and I'm not 100% on how to do it. He feels like he should have had Watcher's "When a survivor falls, somebody else takes up the fight" rule, and possibly the Retinue. True, lacking those makes GSK way more deadly, but in addition to providing a possible avenue to victory they also made watcher feel climactic even when the damn ghost didn't get a turn the first time I took him out, thanks to waking it on LY 20 and having a character at one box short of Twilight Sword mastery

Green Knight Armour.

I can't stop my group from cheating. It drives me nuts but they insist on preserving individuals retards and then coo over what heroes they are when they get to old age and retire.

What a bunch of faggots , only thing I can say is to ask them if winning is what makes it fun for them. This game isn't really about winning , even when you make it to the end you don't "win" , it is about the journey getting there , if that isn't fun well it isnt the game for you.
Whatever you paid for the game do it how you like , I don't want to be that guy but your fun is wrong fun

I think adding the "When a survivor falls another takes their place" rule would be cool for GSK. It may be too much, so perhaps a limit or way to kill some of the reserve survivors before they make it to the field? Just something to make it feel more like the natural climax of a "core" game.

When is poots going to regularly stock plastic models so I can buy things without having to stalk the webstore or order Chinese?

Yes but does the smooshed faced lion tell me what to do?

Does savior ability Caratosis (the red one) work with, say, arrows? It says the attack gains X extra hits, and the max limit factor seems to be red affinities instead of weapon speed.

I would say no for arrows since they have the slow keyword, intending that they only be shot once. However, I'm not 100% since I can't check the Caratosis card text right now.

What's everyone got coming for wave 2?

I've got flower knight, dung beetle knight, lion Knight and spidicules. First time playing was after the 1.5 kickstarter and I definatley should have listened to people recommending a lion replacement.

It's antelope, no antilope.

>just now learn that damage tokens and speed tokens only apply to attack profiles
I've been playing on hard mode this whole time.

Everything.

Manhunter, tree, and Lion God coming for me. I had everything else already

Everything from the existing expacks aside from Manhunter, Tree, and Lion God for me.
I’m pissed I didn’t realize Green Armor requires a Manhunter drop until after I locked funds this winter.

So, can anyone tell an user who's never fought the Phoenix why the Phoenix is such a bitch to fight?

Alright so, I have survival to the fittest, which gives all current and newborn survivors +1 strength and evasion.
And just now I got the Stranger in the Dark event and rolled an 8 +1 pop with lion secret fighting art
He says he has always been in the settlement, which means he surely benefits from Survival to the Fittest, right?

>Beaten by GSK
>Game over
>Beat GSK
>Game over
What's the point?

I'm missing roughly 4 of the original expansions, but I'm pretty excited to try fighting the Slenderman, since he seems to be super interesting mechanically. I should have bought the manhunter; I'm going to miss the wrestling references.

IKR?

Poots has so many weird opinions on what's fun game design, I feel nothing bad about massively house ruling it.

Nastier Hunt Events, free Basic Action every round, several disruptive HL reactions, feeds you age tokens automatically on targeting or through AoE that make you extra vulnerable to certain AI cards and that also feed another non-attack effect that can age your survivors out of existence without ever rolling to hit.
Basically, you can’t just tank-and-spank it with high evasion.

>carefully assemble Phoenix
>do best to fit before gluing
>warping makes it impossible even with very careful filing
>try to brush in liquid green stuff
>break in the feathers is still super obvious
>smaller parts get stuck by the glue in slightly wrong positions
>all hope is lost
>paint anyways
>otherwise great time turkey
>the relatively good painting just brings more attention to the seams
Fucking kill me

The Time Chicken doesn't fight fair. Every other monster in the 1.0 base game, even the nemesis monsters, operates under the same general rules: they respect armor, they respect evasion (GSK breaks this), you die from either severe injury rolls or accumulating bleeds. Some do more of one or more of the other, like Butcher will bleed you good. And they can have these special moves that do a little extra damage (Grab/trample) or can hit you with the bullshit stick if you really mess up (Penalty, Antelope death screams for 20+ Insanity).

The Phoenix does not respect that. True, you can die to bleeds, or maybe chart rolls (Which the Phoenix can make blanket harder with Top of the Food Chain, IIRC), but he can also just delete you. Get too many age tokens? DELETED! Brought newbies on the hunt? DELETED! You are tampering with all new ways to lose the hunt team.

Arise Chicken. Chicken arise.

>that base
but why

"The End" and "You Lose" are both Game Overs you twit.

What the fuck do you want, And They Lived Happily Ever After?

Fuck, write your own story about how the rest of the settlement escaped to start anew while four brave champions of the settlement held back the Gold Smoke Knight long enough to the bitter end.

The Lantern Horde is fucking dead, there's otherwise nothing fending off the horde of monsters.

Note that the dreamless sleep of the GSK is the same way they describe the starting survivors in the prologue.

>much cycles

I just recorded everything to wake them up to fight Satan.

Anybody know what this image is originally from? Looks clearly like the inspiration for forge god

Looks like a depiction of Satan from Dante's Inferno? Or rather, inspired by it, that Satan is 3 headed

Probably would need to know the Latin. 7 sins?

my group didn't know how frenzy worked so half way through the Butcher aget 2 of our best guys died we restarted since we shouldn't have been able to use survival actions after the fifth round thanks to some bs mood card. The second time we beat him without losing anyone. Thats the most "cheating" my group has done

That is one of the most unique looking time chickens i have ever seen, how did you even come up with the idea to paint him like that?

I really hope killing Satan give some kind of closure to the brave surviver

The allegory of the five obstinate monsters.
>An alchemical engraving of the "Allegory of the Five Obstinate Monsters," made in 1575 - 1618. In its country of origin, the Netherlands, it is actually known as De Warminiaen.

All these words are in Latin. The meaning of Aeoths is"Godlessness" or "Atheism. "The meaning of Seditio is "a conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch." Avaritia means greed. The meaning of Opinio is "a belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge." Invidia means the sense of envy or jealousy, a "looking upon" associated with the evil eye, from invidere, "to look against, to look at in a hostile manner." A bellum is "a state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties."

Dear Butcher level 3,

Fuck you.

That's like just one of many things that's wrong with that photo

1.3 butcher was worst.
only got injured on a roll of 8+ not 6+

Never fought him then, but I can't imagine how anyone could ever beat him. I mean, also movement of 8?

Could have been an easy fight when I landed two -1 move tokens on him, and he picks my movement 8 bow master as his priority target with lantern frenzy or whatever the card is.

Then, in the last 6 cards of the AI deck he starts spamming this teleportation attack and disembowels said movement 8 bow master and spends his time with him until bow master bleeds to death. I suppose Butcher had built up some justified frustration throughout the showdown.

I guess I can now see some crucial advantages of Final Fighting Art.

I got absurdly lucky in my fight. Utterly kicked his ass, lost no survivors, survived Hack City. Didn't get Legendary Lungs, though.

Yeah, Butcher's invincible trait is pretty bull.

The game isn't about winning . it's about the journey and spending quality time with friends/family. If you aren't happy unless you "win" KDM isn't for you or you cheat like hell

Is there any chinamen-russian recaster who sells the base game?

No. If he was always in the settlement, then why would you get +1 pop, silly billy? Can't have your cake and eat it too

Well, if you beat the final boss of a game, does it not end the game? Is the "game" not "over"? It just doesn't say "you win", but its KDM, you ain't gonna see that shit

You believed him?

He wants a pat on the head and a cookie.

Fucking this. Something that Poots even said was there was a lot of room for custom content with the players. If you don't like it, change it. It's your game m8, play it however you want

Showdowns that you should have easily won, but you get shit on by RNG

>mid-late game in campaign
>farming lvl 2 antelope for bones needed for Blacksmith
>Hunt events drive antelope all the way to the back
>THREE of my fucking survivors gained Apathic during the hunt
>Antelope constantly running people over hopping around the board
>way over powered to kill this fucker
>tfw literally can't reach him to do any damage
>party wipe
>mfw

>stone faces are physical manifestation of brouzoufs

I actually lead in with the description for KDM as darkest dungeon+ monster hunter just to drive home the fact that they shouldnt get to attached to the starting characters

Where can I find artwork of the Monsters?

Well for artwork, I think the wiki has some of the artwork, as well as Vibrant lantern? Scanon might have scanned in the artwork for some of the monsters, but he probably died weeks ago. Otherwise google.

kingdom-death.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Monsters
The individual entries have bits of monster art.

Here's the thing, though -- 1.0 Watcher and Dragon King each threw you a bone in their ending. When you defeated The Watcher, the long-term demise of the settlement became inevitable. You had the option to either play it out (via Exhausted Lantern Hoard) or call it a game. And in the latter case, we know enough about the world of Kingdom Death to know there are wanderers, so maybe some of your badasses lasted a little longer out there than most. perhaps the L1 butcher that shows up to rape your next settlement is the crazy fuck who was dual wielding cleavers when last seen at the fall of the Watcher.. If you beat the Dragon King, the lives of your survivors, at least as humans, are certainly over, but the Tyrant's final machinations seem to take hold. Your People of the Stars may not be the survivors you controlled, but perhaps they were reborn as something else... or at least something else born from them. Either way, what the settlement worked for over its 25 Lantern Years of existence reached a culmination. There was achievement, even in death.

People of the Sun and Ol' Smokey are cut from a different cloth. When you face the end boss of PotSun, the rest of your survivors (no matter how badass nor how much spare gear you had lying around for them) are fiat slaughtered. So are the four you actually took into the final battle, again no matter how completely they thrashed the Great Devourer. Though, amusingly, you get "The End" (the thanks for playing ending, rather than the lol wiped ending) if you lose the final fight, I guess because the settlement has at least served its purpose for the Sunstalkers.

Smokey is more like that. Actually kill him, and he just takes everybody with him by fiat. I didn't necessarily want a *happier* ending, but I wanted an ending that felt like a different accomplishment than wiping at the same point. Like the battle was worth winning, however futile.

Should I be getting worried if i still haven't heard anything about my holiday stuff? Should I message the order support?

Nah, poots time being what it is, I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. Haven't gotten my holiday orders either.

>Actually kill him, and he just takes everybody with him by fiat. I didn't necessarily want a *happier* ending, but I wanted an ending that felt like a different accomplishment than wiping at the same point. Like the battle was worth winning, however futile.

This sums up my problem with GSK's ending. I don't mind getting fucked but I'd like my getting fucked to mean something more than nothing at all.

If you actually make it to lantern year 30 without cheating your ass off and can tell me the battle isn't worth winning , you sound like an entitled soyboy. If you got to lantern year 30 WITHOUT cheating your ass off and HAVE to beat the GSK to get the "lives happily ever after" ending , would you try again when the GSK inevitably fucks you in the ass? It doesn't matter enjoy the fucking ride , if you don't enjoy the ride you don't enjoy the game.

When you "won" in 1.0, the rulebook congratulated you for managing to make it this far.
It still told you that you're fucked, and you were all going to die, but there was at least something that felt like it'd respected the time to get here.
With how dumb the GSK fight is, and the lack of the player's ability to change anything, it feels more like Poots is just embracing the "NOTHING MATTERS" approach entirely, without even the hints of hope we used to see sprinkled about.

>the rulebook congratulated you for managing to make it this far.
You guys are the same fa/tg/uys that recieved participation trophies and ribbons in school aren't you.
What the fuck do you want ? A page in the rulebook at the end that says "Congratulations fa/tg/uy you vanquished all the evil , you live high on the hog from here on out with no evil to thwart you. Good job and heres a fucking cookie

And I bet the presenter to your first place trophy bashed you in the face and called you a cheeky cunt for daring to get this far.

DESU, I just liked the first ending which I understand isn't valid because of Final Lantern shit and that he can't make a more open ending becauses he's got to add more waves/seasons but come on man.

I will be honest , I was a fa/tg/uy that received the participation ribbon as well , but I did not expect a pat on the back or congratulations and I sure as fuck did not show it off with pride. But I was there and I fucking gave my best effort , that is what fucking matters. If you need some kind of faggot validation at the end of playing the game, your fun is wrong fun. The real fun and reward is getting to fight the GSK with your significant other , or your 3 buddies , or your brothers , or your dad and having spent all that time getting there TOGETHER not some kind of weird ass validation that you faggots want

Guess some people just don't like their struggles and all that time to mean 'nothing'. Which is fair, some people like journeys some people like destinations.

As someone who's never beaten the smoke knight, when you win he dies right?

Because that's enough validation to me. But if the victory text is "fuck you, this fight was meaningless" then I get where these guys are coming from

I will break it down for you like this , if you are only interested in the destination , you are going to end up a pile of ashes or in a box buried , does it fucking matter? What matters is what you do before then. I will tell you this much , all of your struggles will likely mean nothing unless you manage to make millions in your life , if you cant handle that in a game what the fuck are you going to do about it in real life?

Prolly the same way I handle the game, copious amounts of alcohol.

Well, I do want to continue for as long as possible, see the settlement crumble and see it being grind to nothingness without a hope, without a saving grace.

Of course the spiritual climax is going to be GSK, but I'm going to implement some sort of houserule that makes ending more like 1.0.

As if I ever get that far.

Can't imagine punching through toughness 27 without retinues.

I think Monopoly is the game for you guys , you will know if you won or lost at the end

>Can't imagine punching through toughness 27 without retinues.
Red Charm
Lantern Armor + (Perfect) Slayer
assorted -T effects (Lace of Longinus)

It can be done but you need to delicately build towards that. Ehen going in blind, you got snowball's chance in hell.