Critical Role discussion

Critical Roles Series 2 is 2 episodes in.
what are you guys thinking so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rMEIgwyv2Wc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>what are you guys thinking so far?
I'm wondering if you're gonna make a thread like this every day of the week.

Not watched episode 2 yet. Is it up anywhere without having to pay for it yet?

Marisha is still easily the worst.
I like Laura's new character a lot but it's kind of a shame she's a cleric because I feel they're basically heal-bitches unless there's undead around, so it may be incredibly boring to play.
Liam and Taleisin are so far looking very one note. Liams new character just seems to be "smart Vax", and Talesin's character seems to be "not so edgy Percy".
Speaking of fucking edgy though, Ashley's new character is practically Deviant Art OC, some fucking super tough goth with mismatched eyes.
Travis's accent makes me want to laugh every time he open's his mouth, and I think he's going to be very bored playing a Warlock because even with their more recent additions they're still a class better for lore than game play. He's already set up to just Hex things constantly, I'll be surprised if he doesn't have Eldritch Blast too. I mean it's functional but it kind of sucks to just have a class where certain spells are essentially mandatory if you want to make any impact in combat.
Sam's character seems fine enough. I trust his ability to make a fun and interesting character

Setting seems simple enough, looks like we're going with a classic "mysterious illness" plot line.
Also was their like a pre-game for subscribers only or some shit? Because they're all talking about shit they did as though it was something they actually played rather than just backstory. Did they play levels 1-3 before deciding to stream it or something?

G&S will put it up on Monday, until then I don't think there's a way to watch it.

I'd agree with you on Laura but she's running really well with the trickster aspect, it's kept me consistently laughing. She and Sam were the MVPs of the most recent episode, putting them next to each other was a great/chaotic decision.

My concern is that it's going to be fun right now but inevitably they're going to get all dark and brooding again.

I just got back to Veeky Forums and I'm debating whether to become Wayne again.

I'm more concerned for the opposite, it seems like it's more light-hearted than the previous campaign, and while the dark broodiness got old after a while I would at least like a little bit of heavier plot.

Well we're still in the 1st arc, only a couple episodes in no less. I am completely convinced it's gonna get dark by the end of this arc.
Honestly I'd rather it was light hearted. I want them to take things seriously but the "low voice means serious" shit takes up so much of their episodes as soon as things get dark, and Liam's character us already waaaay too close to Vax, we're guaranteed some brooding shit from him about not being good enough or whatever. And I'm sure we all can't wait for Marisha's dyke character to have been tragically abused or some shit

Dew it

Of course it's not up yet, Goy and sundry need their twitch/alpha shekels.

Marisha is indeed still the absolute worst and I'd really appreciate it if she just went away.

Laura's new character seems pretty cool, I like her personality and clerics are interesting.

Liam is playing Vax again and seems to have some deep-seated issues to work out.

Taliesin's character is fine, I'm a bit disappointed he's playing the OC donut steel not!witcher, but hey.

Travis seems fucking based as always.

Sam's character is kinda annoying, but so was scanlan starting out.

Ashley's not there enough to base anything on yet, but I like that she didn't go the Grog route of playing a barb.

I wish Travis was playing a Wizard honestly, I think he said he has 14 intelligence now, but still, he would be such a fucking good Wizard

kill yourself shill rat

>shill
This meme is so tired. 90% of these threads is just people shitting on Critical Role itself or the players. It's Veeky Forums related, talking about it is not shilling, end your life.

none of that changes the fact that you should kill yourself shill rat

The fuck kind of shill brings up a show in a neutral fashion, on a board where it is perfectly acceptable discussion, and does nothing to argue against people shitting on the show itself? Do you think the SJWs at G&S WANT people like us in their audience?
Quads are wasted on low IQ scum like you

none of that changes the fact that you should kill yourself shill rat

Namefags are

Are what user?

Maybe he means namefags like Candlejack? Namefags like that are-

Nice

do these people play games that isn't fantasy?

Interested in learning more about Jester and her god. Wiki says she's a cleric of the Traveler. Is that the same as the Eberron Traveler?

I jumped around watching the first one, but I never finished it. Can someone give me like a synopsis on what happens at the end. Or should I just finish it? I’d really like to know what happens to all the characters

>they're basically heal-bitches unless there's undead around

... you know she's Trickery Domain right? She has charm person, disguise self, and is about to get Mirror Image and Pass Without Trace.

That's not a healbot. That's a party face.

She's said she's the only one with healing spells in the party, so at some point she's going to be dedicating her spell slots to keeping people alive in combat.

I think he's doing pretty good with the Hexblade. I hope he finds some enjoyment in the spell casting side. I'm really curious about his cantrips, Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, and Eldritch Blast would be nice to see.

Also, I'm really curious about his patron and what pact he will be going.

>Not watched episode 2 yet. Is it up anywhere without having to pay for it yet?

>Marisha is still easily the worst.
>I like Laura's new character a lot but it's kind of a shame she's a cleric because I feel they're basically heal-bitches unless there's undead around

You are so retarded it's not even funny

Marisha's roleplay of being drunk is so realistic! Wait, what do you mean she is not acting?

>healing people in combat after 5th level

I sure hope you guys don't do this.

Instead of Healing, cast Banishment. Cast Polymorph. Cast Hold person. Cast Dispel Magic. Cleric is a class based around controlling the enemy. Healing friendlies when they're down or removing negative conditions are entirely secondary.

It's interesting that Matt asks for them to roll for stats down the line.

On one hand it inspires a bunch of creative people to be more creative, on the other hand it leas to problems like once again having the player with no common sense at all playing a character with high wisdom

healing word on a downed ally is usually worth it just to bring them back up, so long as they're not going to be knocked out again before their next turn

>curious about his patron
Otherworldly if the wiki is to be believed.

Scanlan's (Bard) most cast spell in the last campaign was Healing Word, Pike's (Cleric) was Cure Wounds. The party needs a dedicated healer.

That's what I meant by "entirely secondary." Do it if there's a lot to be gained. Although it does limit you to a cantrip on your main action.

Look you can do in-combat healing, and 5e gives you a lot of leeway about stuff you can do in combat. But the "debuff" cleric playstyle is a hell of a lot more interesting, and it's an overall more effective way to play.

That said, there's no tally for how many of those were cast in combat or out (though I'm assuming most of the Healing Words were in combat why the fuck would you ever cast it otherwise). It's interesting too because healing word is an especially bad spell to cast when you have a party of 7 fucking people.

Pike also cast Spirit Guardians twice the whole campaign. That's just madness.

I'm just saying as players they clearly need a lot of healing, and with only one party member even capable of casting healing spells, you know Laura is going to end up using her spell slots on that eventually.

grognard but never watched that show (mostly due to being a foreigner with no engrish back then)
Is the first season good? worth sinking your time in?

I'm watching some old episode. At level nine pike turn in a combat was something like
>grog gets hit, close to death
>i move and heal him with a 5th level cure wound
>end turn
>grog try to get away because surrounded
>gets hit for triple the damage she healed
>waste of two player turn
Healing word as already said is probably the only worth one, and probably mass heal
They don't need a dedicated healer, they need better tactics/spell selection

FPBP

>they need better tactics/spell selection
Then what you're looking for is a better party altogether. At best Travis not having to play a retard might help some decision making but thats about it.

Is there a way to roleplay a character with 9 or less intelligence that isn't "i'm a complete retard and i talk like a toddler?"

Get better Widsom, while the character is terrible with logic/academic, make sure he understands how fighting with a pack works, and how the world can be harsh by experience.

That one guy on Youtube DawnForged or something? He actually had a good video back when I watched him that broke down the statistics of stat bonuses and showed that even the lowest intelligence possible for a sentient character actually isn't that dumb

Reminder that Jester is literally Monara

What is an monara?

So i could make simple tactics like ambush/focusing apparently weak character first, right? But I probably cannot make a complex plan to attack a fortress with various the options in case something goes wrong

Tactics, but not logistics. You'd operate on a personal scale. Leading warbands could work, but an army? No chance.

Ok. Thanks a lot for the inputs. Maybe i'll finally manage to play a low int character, something i always avoided

Good luck user!

Can we make predictions about Marisha's character?
>lesbian
>drunken master except high
>will multi class for spells

if she keeps pulling dumb shit
>dead
>or in jail

Do you think Matt is going to be that harsh on her now they're married?
He allowed fucking Revivfy to bring her back after a fucking 1000ft fall, thats a high as a skyscraper, she took 3 times her max HP, there should've been nothing left of her

She already got jailed once already, who the hell knows

Place bets on first PC death!

>Mollymauk

I hope travis dont get bored. Melee warlock is the most useless shit you can make. Its cool for lore and they are big party so maybe combat is not so big of a deal.

I hope Liam can leave the vax mindset and be new character.

Its so early cant really tell.

MArisha and Lauras character are bad

"Beauregard"
Ugh even just saying it, such a fucking stupid name. But yeah anyway Marisha is a fucking tard and without spells all she can do in combat is get up close, the chances of her doing something stupid and getting herself killed are high.

>I hope travis dont get bored.
He probably will. He constantly got bored as Grog because there was so little opportunity for him to get shit done. Dude should've picked a Wizard, had high Int and all that magic.
>I hope Liam can leave the vax mindset
Lol I don't think its the "vax" mindset so much as it's just Liam. In their wrap up Talks Machina he basically said he was going through some shit during the first campaign and got really upset with Matt over the whole Raven Queen stuff for some reason, and thats why Vax was such a moodly little shit and constantly rejected what the Raven Queen wanted.
>MArisha and Lauras character are bad
Marisha, yes. Laura, no. Jester seems cute, hopefully it will stop things getting to serious

Nah Monks are pretty easy to work with, she can handle that. I'm more worried about her character coming off as boring without much care, or not saying or doing anything. It's kinda early to tell, but I feel like this character is a little too close to Marisha's "normal" self and does not feel like a character yet. Give her more time and maybe she may change a tad.

Liam's character is similar to that except his has ties with Sams character and when Liam RPs well he RPs really well (He really gets into attacks or spells for example and he has fun when messing around with Matt's NPCs.) So I think he's doing what she's trying to do right.

>Nah Monks are pretty easy to work with, she can handle that.
My friend, are you new?
She'll try to fucking 1v1 something insanely OP, I can picture it now.

Good? At least the monk dies and she roll a decent character yes i hate monks and the whole drunken master trope

She'll derail the entire episode complaining about her death, and i'd say depending on how long it takes her to calm down theres every chance her next character will just be a deliberate "fuck you" to Matt.

Is she like that? I watched very few episodes, so i really don't know. I am more concerned that she'll get a special treatment because she's the dm wife

I'd say he's definitely lenient with her but he's forgiving with all of the party really.
But yes she is a fucking awful player. She's shown up high and drunk and derailed sessions before, and when shit doesn't go her way she makes sure everyone knows about it. She also loves arguing with the DM about rules she doesn't understand. Here's a great episode to highlight what a shitty person and player she is.

youtube.com/watch?v=rMEIgwyv2Wc

No, I have been DM 5e for about 1 year now. And I have seen the first campaign. The class is pretty easy to work with all you have to do is keep up with your KI points. She can choose as a character to 1v1 something OP that has nothing to do with her knowledge of the class and involves her character being abrasive and rash.

Why would you think that? Calm down m8, she would accept her death with the knowledge that there is no way to bring her back like an adult would. I don't know what type of character she would make as a backup, but it would be something Matt would obviously have to approve so it would not be something that would upset him as a DM.

>4 ours of video
I appreciate the link, but i think i'll take your word on this one

>her character being abrasive and rash.
You just mean "her being abrasive and rash". Marisha cant RP to save her life.
>she would accept her death with the knowledge that there is no way to bring her back like an adult would.
This has to be bait. There is literally no way you watched the 1st campaign and thing Marisha is even remotely rational when things fuck up. Particularly when SHE fucks things up she complains about consequences constantly.

Good, avoid the suffering. At least read the comments for a sense of what she's like.

>This has to be bait. There is literally no way you watched the 1st campaign and thing Marisha is even remotely rational when things fuck up. Particularly when SHE fucks things up she complains about consequences constantly.

Nope it's not bait in the slightest. Sure in moments where things go astray she gets jumpy and will forget things due to nerves, but if her character died she would accept it like an adult as there is nothing she can do to change that.

Okay this is absolutely bait, thanks for playing.

20 18 18 14 16 8 haha epic roll for stats bro

Who?

Still not bait. I'm shocked that you think an adult can't handle a situation when their fictional character dies with some tact and dignity. She has the right to be angry, sad, frustrated, shocked and upset, who would not be if their character suddenly died, but I truly don't see her throwing a fit and forcing Matt or another player find a way to resurrect her no matter what.

>Marisha Ray
>adult
Bait.

Women get involved in their characters when the RP, a lot more so than men do. Emotional attachments are strong and hard in most women, and characters are always very personal because you put timer and effort into them. So they react much more emotionally when a character dies than men will. They DO get over it relatively quickly, unless they're absolute cunts, which she doesn't strike me as, but yeah, if a character of hers dies, she'll get upset. That's normal for women. A good GM plans around that.

>unless they're absolute cunts, which she doesn't strike me as
You can't have watched much Critical Role.

>"i'm a complete retard and i talk like a toddler?
That shit's like INT 5, INT 9 is just "I'm not particularly creative, so I stick to basic shit instead of trying to come up with fancy plans".

Personally no, it's not worth it to watch over 100 episodes. There maybe few good must episodes here and there, but I would just suggested watching highlights at this point.
Or read the wiki if you really care.

If there's anything worth watching is the entire Whitestone arc. The whole thing is around 15 episodes but the meat of it is on the first 11 episodes, and it's probably the only really good thing from the first campaing, because anything before it is really basic and rather boring and anything after it is a huge slog.

>Speaking of fucking edgy though, Ashley's new character is practically Deviant Art OC, some fucking super tough goth with mismatched eyes.

Couldn't agree more. Also looking forward to her slowing down or just messing up episode pacing by appearing and disappearing out of nowhere constantly..... I have no problem with Ashley herself, but there's just no reason for her to be in the game when she has basically no availability.

And not a fan that they were railroaded into a mandatory fight and quest right off the fucking bat in the first episode. I would have preferred a lot more interaction throughout the first episode and an actual reason for them to stay together before anything started happening in the second. There was no reason for any of the three groups to join together on this murder mystery quest thing.

Also obligatory Marisha is shit comment

>Because they're all talking about shit they did as though it was something they actually played rather than just backstory.
That'd be easy to do by simply giving appropriate notes to the relevant players concerning what's happened recently and also just letting them improvise somewhat.

>youtube.com/watch?v=rMEIgwyv2Wc

You know a player is really bad when large numbers of the fanbase are shitting on them outside of Veeky Forums.

The Reddit thread for that episode was still an awful hugbox though.

Yeah, considering the amount of wanky gm advice Matt has given out in the past, that opening session was incredibly weak. No driving force behind the party whatsoever.

There's a lot of Rule 34 of her.

is it actually worth watching now? i got about half way through the thordaok arc and it was so boring i couldnt even force myself to keep watching

are they still SJWs?

When does the first season of Critical Role get good?

Trial of the take or Whitestone. Ep.22 onwards. It reaches the peak of actually knowing about the characters without being too obtuse and has some solid RP.

Okay so I watched this as my first experience with Critical Role having previously been into RollPlay before it got trash.

So Travis seems pretty based, I watched a few highlights for Grog to get a sense of the last campaign and I think he'll be cool,

Marisha is a turd from what I can tell, she's playing a FU character but she doesnt seem to be doing it in a very fun way.

Laura seems okay but some of the girls from RollPlay have been utter cancer with their mary sue shit and I was a little hesitant but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt as a lot of people here seem to like her.

First episode was weak and had a lot of points where the pacing was poor but I guess thats normal for the start of a campaign, saying that Matt is a very very good DM from what I can see, his descriptions are incredible. I kind of wish the way magic users magic looked was down to the players rather than him describing it but thats such a minor thing.

Also do you think Travis will stick with the melee warlock build or turn himself into an eltritch blast bot like most people end up doing.
Saying that I dont mind, party face+EB spam build

>Also do you think Travis will stick with the melee warlock build or turn himself into an eltritch blast bot
I'd be surprised if he went anything other than melee. Memes aside, he seems to like big, muscly chad characters, and ranged or magic combat never really seems to have been his style.

Best place to find highlights for the last campaign?

I'd like to not have to spend 18 days worth of time seeing what happened last campaign

>ranged or magic combat never really seems to have been his style
To be fair his previous character was a strength barbarian.
I get the feeling he wants to try some combat magic.
I'm hoping he goes partly EB gunslinger and during combat tries to close the gap into melee.

This is literally the first time I've posted on this board in months. I'm sorry if others have been spammy with it..I was unaware.

>Laura seems okay but some of the girls from RollPlay have been utter cancer with their mary sue shit and I was a little hesitant but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt as a lot of people here seem to like her.

In general she's one of the best of the group regarding RP and knowing how to play. I think she's probably second to Matt for the amount of voices she can do. But there have been a number of notable occasions when she's went full metagame just to get her own way, usually because of Travis' dedication to his character. Vex, or more accurately Laura, hated Grog spending money or finding (and trying to discard of) magical but boring to him items, so she always tried to metagame to screw him. I or someone else can explain the cards fiasco if you'd want.

I've never played a warlock but by the sounds of it EB seems like the best regular attack so it would seem dumb for him not to use it

Yeah im down for hearing about a fiasco

Grog finds deck of many things but dosent know what it is and is going to throw it away coz who needs a deck of cards?

Metagame metagame and the party now has deck of many things.

there is youtube video.

agreed. The Whitestone arc is fantastic

IIRC it was some dragon's cave they were looting, or some kind of cave like that. Everyone besides Grog was together talking or something. Grog was rage looting, and rolled super high and found a deck of many things. Everyone besides, like, just Travis, erupted and started autismoing about how they're all fucked and how someone should stop him, etc etc, just all majorly passively metagaming. Travis has no idea what this means because he purposely doesn't research items or anything his character would have no idea about, so with Grog having no interest in it he says he tosses it over his shoulder into the lava. But Laura, being Laura, instantly doesn't want him to have it or destroy it, so she demands that she makes a roll to notice what Grog has because of her passive perception, you know, despite the fact she had no interest in what he was doing and despite the fact he already said he tosses it, and Matt fucking allows her to roll. Naturally she rolls high and is allowed to go over and question Grog and shit. Then she miraculously gets interested in this bland looking deck of cards and has Percy come over and inspect it, because "reasons", which he happily goes along with because he started the fucking OOC autismo screeches in the first place. Just so happens he rolls decently and somehow knows it's "dangerous". This gives Vex an excuse to steal it from Grog by tricking him. If I'm remembering right he was visibly pissed when she took it. It was a bullshit situation all round.

IRL? sure....if the alternative is AltRight bigots. Then yeah they respect human beings as equals.

grogg found a deck of many things and laura used her trickery to take it from him so he didnt accidently blow up the world

all human beings are not equal