Be playing a home brew mortals campaign. >One of our female members has infiltrated a heavily guarded ware house

>Be playing a home brew mortals campaign. >One of our female members has infiltrated a heavily guarded ware house.
>tries to knock out a VIP via pistol whip.
>She botches the roll.
>"As you strike his head with the pistol, there is an audible crack, followed bu the pistol discharging, and complete agony is the only feeling that be described now coming from your knee".
>She shattered the VIP's skull and shot herself in the knee.
>She is now screaming in pain loud enough to be heard throughout the building if the gunshot didn't already alert the guards.

"I use to be a spy like you, then I shot myself in the knee"

As a spectator to this, it was fantastic.
Immediately after, the teleporter of the group botched a roll and splinched his foot in half

Sounds like a dick move. If the pc is assumed to have basic training with guns, she would know better and have good trigger discipline, and the safety engaged. I also can't visualize how you would strike someone while pointing to your knee.
Good call on the fatal hit, incapacitatingg people shouldn't be as easy and reliable as a bonk to the head

If you have a light pull trigger, you can discharge a gun by striking it against a hard surface, you know.

Even the most rigorous safety discipline isn't infallible, and safety failures/accidental safety releases do happen. The only surefire protection against accidental discharge is making sure the gun is never pointed at something you aren't okay with potentially getting shot.

Still doesn't explain how she hit her knee.

>I also can't visualize how you would strike someone while pointing to your knee.

She only has 2 points in intelligence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yea, it works in two dimensions. In reality your handgun barrel would be directed to your right side because hitting things with a straight vertical movement is not really effective.

>In reality
This isn't supposed to be someone that did the right thing though. They fucked up.
You're pretty stupid.

Sounds like the usual "rolled a 1 on a skill, here's your wacky crit-fail effect" stuff.

>kill a target instead of knocking them out
>aim a loaded handgun at oneself
>accidentally discharge a handgun
One of these is a fuckup. Three at once due to a single botched roll is the wrathful God shitting on all the things you personally cherish and love.

Considering it's storyteller, a botch is a big deal.

Not op but part of the campaign in question, this was a negative two botch.she rolled three dice and got 1 1 and 2. Which is by far the worst roll all campaign.

I think she shouldn't have killed the vip and injured herself. The gun going off would have been enough of a punishment for failure.

At least now she can take part in cripple jousting.

Calling him a VIP is slightly misleading, it was an item in his office we wanted. Not the man himself. So killing him, while not part of the plan, ultimately didn't matter. She was lucky enough that the door had locked behind her on her way in which gave us enough time to "rescue" her. The teleporter cleanly slicing his foot open didn't help in that regard though...

>having crit-fails
>ever
Lol no

It makes as much sense as having critical success.

So you agree that neither should be a thing?

They both allow for maximum keks. For example, that time we convinced a wizard he was on drugs.

Only if you're a faggot who still uses the dogshit that is oWoD's system. nWoD 1e is still the greatest design WW/Onyx Pricks/whoever they are now has ever done.

She shouldn't have shot herself. The attempt was to knock the guy out quietly, so a botch should be that she fails to knock him out and makes a bunch of noise. I would have ruled that the guy successfully avoids getting hit and her gun goes off during the struggle, alerting everyone in the warehouse.

As another user said, it seems like the memey "rolled a 1, you forget how to breathe" bullshit otherwise.

Rolled a 1, a 1, and a 2.

... is that some fucking Rage of Bahmut?

But that's average.

It probably is oWoD. You can't botch in the newer WoDs unless you're rolling the equivalent of having 0 dice.

Thats too many penalties for a single failed roll. Thats like shooting a bow at a goblin and failing so bad you aggro 4 previously unmentioned Owlbears. Its completely disproportionate to the action being taken.

That's three negative outcomes from a single botched action, with one having major plot impact (dead VIP). Now that is what I'd call very bad gamemastering. It's the equivalent of demanding players dice roll whenever they want to just walk around, and homebrew a crit table for failure where they can stumble, crack their skull and die instanty.

+1

haha that skyrim meme is hilarious man