How would humanity have developed in such a world?

How would humanity have developed in such a world?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force#Meteorology
worlddreambank.org/T/TURNOVIA.HTM
worlddreambank.org/A/ABY.HTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Too much temptation

Exactly the same, north and south are arbitrary.

Absolutely no difference. The Cardinal Directions are man-made abstractions applied to the Earth's geography.

They did. That is our world, and a perfectly valid map orientation. Not using it, now or in the future, but it isn't wrong.

>China becomes a desert and the Sahara becomes wet
Yeah, that won't affect anything.

You are only mariginally smarter than flat earthers. Please read a book on Earth's rotation and it's effect on climate.

how did you come up with that shit?

That's just an australian?

I assume it would fuck up the gulf stream?

Go on, explain.

They would have migrated to the areas most optimum for habitation. As they did and do.

>White people
>Starting the game with most resources

How do you know this isnt the case? there is no real up or down in the universe.
Aliens coming here may view our world like this.

Earth doesn't orbit the sun straigth on, the North pole for example is warmer than the south pole.
There would be climatic differences.

>North pole for example is warmer than the south pole
maybe the fact that one's over water and the other's over land has something to do with it

There would be no bloody difference, because you know....Top and down are just human concept.

People would be observing different constellations and astronomical objects would hit the earth in different places, think of the implications.
All those people saying that nothing would change, Veeky Forums is really fucking stupid.

Jesus H. Christ... Are you at least aware the whole planet is upside-down, meaning NOTHING CHANGES, you absolute imbecile?

Wuxia Europe?

The temperature difference has nothing to do with the geographical orientation in this case.
Seriously, this thread feels like at least part of anons never, ever had a Geo class in their life.

user, read the thread, there is really no reason to say the earth dose not look like this. The only reason we draw it like that is because we picked one of the 2 ways a compass alings, called it north and decided to orient it around the "north" pole. Our maps would look like that we we decided to orient ourselfs around the south pole

... nothing changes, still. Rather than using Northern Star, "universal" navigational tool is now Southern Cross. And oh noes, the bunch of myths relate to different astral bodies, what a tragedy!

sorry ment for user

You are retarded, aren't you?
This is a map convention. You could make a map of Earth like from OP's picture today and it would be 100% correct and viable and nobody can call it "wrong". The "north is on top of the map" is nothing but a convention. The "north is on top of the planet" is nothing but OUR perspective, looking at it with Earth for reference and we are used to referencing north as being on top. But in space, there is NO "top".

The North pole stands nearer to the sun than the South pole. There would be differences.

but that's how it looks now.. only Australia should be in the middle/top of the map. Obv flanked by Afro-Eurasia and the Americas.

The axis of the earth never changes. If it is upside down, literally nothing changes except which season is which. That's why when it is winter in the northern hemisphere, it is summer in South America and Australia. That's right, they have their Christmas in summer.

now, if you tils the earth 90 degress to one side or another, THEN you have a fucking nightmare of geographic and climate change, because that means the mountain ranges and volcanic activity is messing with massive amounts of the Coriolis effect, the summer and winter months literally change for different parts of the year, and the equatorial storms become a hyperactive force across most of the arable land in the world.

ITT: obvious bait

user, that;s what i said, i just used the wrong post number

No it doesn't. Because, lo and behold, there are seasons on this planet. Which is related with Earth axis tilting. So North Pole can be both closer and further away, depending on season, and the opposite thing happens with South Pole at the same time.
The real difference comes from the fact North Pole is bunch of ice over ocean and South is over perma-frost land formation. If this still doesn't ring you a bell, then let me explain it to you like you were a fucking idiot:
Water is in fluid state above 0 Celcius degrees. Perma-frost, as the name implies, is permanently frozen, below 0 Celcius.

There is another, even better explaination:
American education

From the looks of it, you just turned the map 180 degrees. Nothing would change.
But if your map instead was picrelated (flipped vertically), then a fucking lot would change.

What would change?

Samer thing as the 90' degrees user posted. You change the locations of the mountain ranges in relation to the atmosphere movement, and suddenly the weather goes fucking haywire, as clouds get trapped in places they don't normally form, deserts appear on coasts, storms wipe out arable land, and turn the Sahara into a jungle the likes of which the Amazon can't be imagined to have been in the Cretaceous.

Actually, the Sahara just becomes Southeastern China.

In reverse world there'd be no warm Gulf stream flowing towards Europe. Whole Scandinavia and Great Britain would have the same climate as Alaska.

Also rivers would have different banks since due to Earth rotation one bank gets eroded faster than the other.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force#Meteorology

Surf Wiki from there on.

South Africa my Nordic homeland.

Okay, now I must explain something. It's impossible to unambiguously interpret OP's pic. It can be just a 180 rotation OR Earth actually having retrograde spin. I assumed the first.

If the world looked like that you'd be Muslim.

In case of map posted by OP, the streams would be the same as they are right now. The map you are looking for is here

The south-up map orientation is sort of interesting. The north-up orientation basically caught on because north is where all the land is, so the culture that standardized world maps came from the north. If I remember correctly, south-up maps are still a thing in Bolivia, because of anticolonialism reasons or something.

OP's map implies that, in this setting, the culture taking the role of Europe was from deep in the southern hemisphere. This is sort of an interesting idea because regions with a colder climate are more likely to be prosperous, basically because humans don't work as well in the heat. As it turns out, Australia is a big fuck-off desert, South America is warm as balls all the way to Argentina, and South Africa isn't much better. Polynesia is still fairly warm.

This basically leaves New Zealand (Maori?) or a world where the Antarctic peninsula was settled.

Yeah, I get all that. But the map OP posted just flipped the land masses, not north and south. So there would be no real difference to the development of humanity, would there?

Argentina or Chile could be perfectly good options. Probably not them as a whole, but applying real life countries to this is silly.

None at all, because all that map does is going "up-side down". So you could literally pick an atlas, turn it up-side down and you would have the same effect. It's just a mapping convention that changes nothing at all.
To have real effect, you would need a world that spins in opposite direction, regardless of any other factor, because climate would develop differently.

Jesus, another idiot who doesn't get it... IT"S A MAPPING CONVENTION TO HAVE NORTH UP AND SOUTH DOWN. If you pick any given map and simply turn it on it's head, you change nothing at all. Chinese pre-moderm maps are just as viable as European ones, even if they have south at the top of the map. They work the same as any other map and represent the same planet.

Go away Jared Diamond, your thesis on the development of civilization is flawed and retarded

I addressed the north-up orientation in my second sentence, specifically gave a real-life example of south-up, and extrapolated from the very concept of why a different mapping orientation could have emerged. Or, in simpler words: I know. Seek remedial reading comprehension classes.

Someone already made it for you
worlddreambank.org/T/TURNOVIA.HTM

Not him, but you addressed shit and also managed to completely mishandle why "north is up" is a thing in cartography with ill-applied EFY

What would happen at a zero degree tilt earth?

What if the land was ocean and the old oceans were now land?

No seasons, which would be weird.

The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and a perfect disguise above.

>What if the land was ocean and the old oceans were now land?

The oceans are how they are because the shape of earth and the amount of water they have.

So, you will need to exemplify more your question

BUT WHY NOT NAME THE FUCKING HORSE
NO ONE ELSE IS AROUND
NAME IT

>The oceans are how they are because the shape of earth and the amount of water they have.

PS:This is the same for the lowest points of a area that dont have water, what we call land

This is one example where he removed all water, and then invert planet height.
Then he put all earth water back at the lowest earth points.
worlddreambank.org/A/ABY.HTM

Whatever. I mean, there ain't no one for to give you no pain, so why bother?

all of my hate to you

Um sweetie, north is warmer than south at comperable latitudes. If the continents were flipped, this would greatly affect the climate of many reigons.

The single and solitary difference would be the sun rising in the west.

If you just flipped the main continents, and not the poles as well, you might be correct.

Only if you change the direction of Earth's spinning. Otherwise, just putting map upside-down does nothing. Technically we are living in an upside-down world for anyone who comes with other point of reference than the Earth's convention of what's "up".
North Pole is warmer, because as already pointed out ITT, there is no ground under it. If you would flip everything upside-down, then you have a South Pole without any ground under it and thus it would be warmer.
So if you flip everything around by just doing a 180 degrees tilt, you would change shit. Change the spinning direction - and we are talking about completely different planet.

... which would be in turn known as east anyway

>Australia becomes Fortress Monastery for the Blüd ravens