Elfbuilding Thread

Discuss elves and everything pertaining to them. Try to come up with new and original elven subraces. All roundears are welcome, except for dwarves.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordite
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Technology elves that hate nature

Setting: High Fantasy with post-post-apocalyptic under-pinning.

The elves: Elves have traditional elven qualities of extremely long lives, affinity for magic, and penchant for teaching secrets to the other races. Elves are helper robots from a previous civilization with extremely advanced technology who made the elves as bio-mechanical self replicating androids. All races are a result of mutagens or genetic engineering from the proto-race that vanished hundreds of thousands of years ago. All forms of magic can be traced back to technology of the proto-race. The knowledge of the proto-race among the elves is unique and also gives then their insular nature and aloof demeanor.

If elves identify as knifears, does that mean that they feel kinship with catfolk?

I hate the immortality and obnoxious long lifespan of Elves. How are these fuckers not all high level, near godlike powers, and have not conquered the world yet? If they have immortality, or live 500 years, they have an exonerate amount of time to study magic, hone all of their martial abilities, and achieve this hypothetical level of 20 or 99.

Explain this shit.

>How are these fuckers not all high level, near godlike powers, and have not conquered the world yet?
How are human centenarians not all hyperintelligent superhumans? It's because age doesn't translate directly into skills and power, it's how you use it. Elves are very passive and tired of the bullshit of this world.
Not to mention they're very few compared to about any other race, and they grow up very slowly.

>level of 20 or 99
>level
Here is your problem, your view of reality and abilities as "levels" is shit.

ELF ABS!

Do they feel kinship with kitsune?

easy, make the elves that actually accomplish shit have normal human lifespans while the ancient elves go Mouse Paradise mode

>implying kitsune aren't the elves of Japan

What would she do if I tugged both her ears hard? Would she become flustered? Upset? Call me childish? See it as an invitation to flirt even harder? Attack me?

She'd probably kill you and eat your liver, have your corpse preserved as a warning to anyone who tries ton tug on her delicate and sensitive ears ever again.

>Elfbuilding Thread

How do we improve Ribbon?

>they grow up very slowly
That would explain all those elves who have the body of a fully grown woman and the personality of an easily excitable teen.

elves r gay

t. flustered kitsune

Much taller
Bigger boobs
Wider hips
Bubble butt
Defined musculature
Give her an "ara ara~" christmas cake personality

You knife ears wanna buy some gemstones?

The elves in my setting, as long as everyone's concerned, are a race of war-like conquerors who arrived on the main continent from a land beyond the ocean. They conquered quickly most of old human lands and established themselves as rulers in around 20-30 years.
They did not really do only bad things tho. They for example introduced horses in the continent, along with some more advanced architecture and such.
They ruled basically unopposed for around 500 years, but eventually their grasp lessened. Part of it was the difference in lifespans between elves and humans: while there were still some elves old enough to remember the wars of conquest and still saw humans as inferior primitives, human generations came and went quickly and more and more humans started to resent their condition of second-class citizen after so much time (for them) passed as loyal subjects. Riots started to erupt and elves struggled to quell them because their original war-like and spiteful nature was tempered by new waves of settlers by their home continent who embraced a more peaceful and tolerant point of view. What's more, interbreeding had become sort of common in the past and half-elves were quite common among humans, and putting them at the same level of humans was for some offensive to their elven heritage.
Riots eventually exploded into all-out war and the elves were beaten back in many territories while they peacefully relinquished many others to humans. Now the elves have become more of a peaceful kingdom, but the humans of the continent owe much of their culture and progress to the elven influence

>and a princess

Google 'heathergems'.

Building a wall and making the dwarves pay for it sure sounds appealing right about now.

So basically your elves are Romans?

Who was it that established the connection between elves and celts? Elves are purely germanic, nothing celtic about them.

A muscular princess wouldn't work, but other than that I'm down with it.

More like medieval english settlers in america if the natives outnumbered them and had a comparatively inferior but similar level of technology.
But to think of it yes your comparison is accurate

Tolkien. More importantly, it's using wood to make "gemstones". There's also amber; polished wood; petrified, agetized, and opalized wood; granite and schist (the latrter of which is really beautiful if you know how to polish it), glass, and other non-gemstone beauty to be made. And if you have a few dozen lifetimes, you can learn to make anything beautiful.

Celtic is a funny weird language who works well as elvish

You know, a cat-creature should have six tits. Just saying.

Fool, there are eight nipples total.

So, elves in this setting I'm working on are fairly bog-standard. And then there are the Immortals of Oros.

These guys are a sect of elves who made a deal with an evil serpent god to obtain peerless mastery in war by becoming unkillable. They all have a parasitic serpent attached to their navels, which injects a cocktail of adrenaline and magical mutagens into their systems. This causes the skin of their extremities to turn black and scaly, their teeth to become fangs, and their eyes to turn red.

In battle, they fight in phalanx, and thanks to the serpents, they have increased strength and stamina, are so hyped up that they feel no pain, and have a freakish ability to heal--any wound sustained closes in seconds. These abilities come at a price--their hyperactive metabolisms mean they have to eat a lot in order to sustain themselves--and so they rage across the land, bringing slaughter and feasting on the fresh corpses.

All in all, not the friendliest bunch of guys.

With Tolkien the celtic connection with Elves was just in a Sindarin language, otherwise their mythological counterpart were still Germanic elves.

Warhammer elves and especially eldar are derivatively gigaceltic to the point of having straight out Celtic names.

Get on my level:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordite
>goblin gemstones made from toxic waste

>there's a name for stacking a bunch of layers of paint together to make a solid design
neat

What about you, spoonears, wanna try some fruity wine?

>Warhammer elves and especially eldar are derivatively gigaceltic
No way. Warhammer high elves are Melniboneans by any other name, not celtic in the least - that would be the humans from Albion. I have to suspect you don't know what you're talking about.

wood elves

What is /elf/'s opinion on having Elves and Djinni being the same creature in different human interpretations?

Ah, yes, that makes more sense. But can you really fault me for forgetting they exist? They have as much plot relevance as Kislev.

Makes perfect sense if you roll with the pre-Tolkien concept of elves as a powerful race that predates humans, but isn't as beloved by the god/s

Swamp Elves, inspired by a post from last thread.

Also stole this from /r/DnDhomebrew

Where can one acquire some of those stones, uncut and unpolished?
I'd want to chisel dice out of them.

>Also stole this from /r/DnDhomebrew
By stole, I mean the concept.
The .pdf and formatting I made, and polished the bonuses a bit.

I googled what I thought was fitting art and added it to the Snow Elves, which had no artwork dedicated to them, while I was at it.

Technically, these are also Elves, I guess. So I'll just dump this one too. Ported from another 3.5e homebrew.

How do we get around this problem?

Very cool user, what post was that? Are you going to write more?

I'd imagine in Detroit, seeing how it's called Detroit agate.

Wood elves aren't celtic though.

>implying it's a problem

write better?

>Where can one acquire some of those stones, uncut and unpolished?
Detroit.

Going on a dangerous quest for some fancy jewellery seems an elf thing to do though.

>Building a wall and making the dwarves pay
Just claim dwarves are absolut shit in building a wall. They do it themself.

Isn't that the description of almost any female who's not lesbian in modern fiction?

>Very cool user, what post was that?
>Are you going to write more?
Yep, got Desert Elves, Volcanic Elves (same post), and some others planned. If you have some ideas, shoot.

>Detroit
Well,

>If you have some ideas
Dude, there's a whole thread there for you.

So, Cestree.

What about Xena

Anxiety elves please.

I like pretentious elves, meaning everything they do has a pretense. They hate violent violence and their language is couched in so many metaphors to disguise ugly subjects. They even use intermediaries who translate the ugliness into a more pleasant form. Sometimes these intermediaries are the elves themselves, assuming a different identity through a mask, glamour, or actual transformation. An elf in the first round of combat will likely flee to don their warface. Fighting is often referred to as dancing or musical appreciation, often accompanied by a musician. An elf that is dying will compare their blood to rubies or falling rose petals, before expiring with a smile.

>They hate violent violence
Non-violent violence must be a whole different story

What makes you think they haven't? There is an entire shadow war going down between the elves, with many ancient kingdoms with long lines being puppet kingdoms the elves move like pieces on a chessboard. It's like if the Illuminati were elves, but there are other elven Illuminati's warring with it.

Their ancient and powerful kingdoms are hidden in so much glamour and magic it's incredibly difficult to know they're even there. Many are in their own pocket dimensions. If you some across or travel to an elven city or village. That's not a true elven city or village. It's a front, or outpost, for the ongoing shadow war. A grand conspiracy only elves are privy to, and forbidden from sharing with non elves.

Pretty much, so long as it's disguised as some kind of sport or performance it's ok. Elves love hunting for example, but they hate the sight of corpses, so they have intermediaries take care of them. The destruction of a human village would have musical accompaniment, the generals or commanders also the composers. They also like the subtle arts of killing, but they don't train assassins and poisoners, they have dancers and attendants.

Interestingly, the actual act of dancing has come to be known as elegant warfare, so not to be confused.

shes perfect as she is, dumb and short

>Child Elves
Due to either a dubious blessing or an ancient curse, these elves can never grow past eight years of age. While they have normal elven lifespans of several centuries, they stay both physical and mental children throughout their lifetimes. They're very curious and easily excitable like little children, but, also like children, extremely cruel and unable to tell good from evil. The important difference is that unlike your normal spoilt brats, child elves wield powerful elven magic. Whereas normal kids play with toy soldiers, child elves raise armies of deadly human-sized toys and send them to destroy and pillage the neighbouring kingdoms for destruction's sake.

>Mushroom Elves
Instead of more traditional trees, these elves worship fungi for their connection with the spirit world. By consuming copious amounts of mushrooms, they leave their bodies to commune with the spirits and their deceased ancestors. Extreme consumption of magically charged fungi takes its toll on mushroom elves, and they eventually start sprouting fungal outgrowths all over their bodies and stop recognising the difference between the spirit world and the material one. They build their houses inside large puffy mushrooms and use clouds of caustic spores to protect their villages from unwanted guests, mostly bored aristocrats in search for mind-altering experiences.

>Blade Elves
Children of barren cliffs with nothing there but copious amounts of ore, these elves are peerless masters of swordfighting. To them, a sword is a key that opens the door between this door and the next, explaining why they forge their swords in the shape of keys. On reaching adulthood, they famously vow never to earn their living by peaceful means, but only by fighting, be that robbery, raiding or mercenary work. Their signature style of swordsmanship includes wielding as many blades simultaneously as possible, with a sword in each hand, stiletto heels and daggers at the ends of their long braids.

Phoenician Sailor Elves who travel around the world to trade and colonize.

Prompted by a decree that effectively exiles an entire generation males, a massive migration to distant continents and islands is kicked off, which eventually leads to the colonisation and conquest of the western continent and all it's human kingdoms by Elven Adventurers.

Reminds me of this pic

spread it to every setting where it's not the norm

>those manlets scuttling around
>colourful and fantastic
thanks for posting that, it's actually a far better picture to visualize what I mean.

So marriage?

I remember years ago that there was a whole party made up of Elves that weren't raised as Elves (and an Dwarf raised as an elf). All because of people being inspired by The Drow Paladin of Moardin raised by Dorfs.

I suspect it wasn't as good as it sounds, but how was it?

Elves are overdone

Virisanguin Elves

Cannibalistic/carnivore elves who sacrifiice daily to a corrupted world tree that they believe keep their mostly dead or completely dead queen alive.
They believe that theyre putting life energy back into the trees and into themselves when they eat meat. Sadly due to demon fuckery they kinda are, turning their forest into a dark place.

As the spirits of the trees are warped so are their minds, leaving the druids as more of a mad cult of zelots who demand daily sacrifices to them and the trees. blood goes on the ground, meat goes in the belly.

Only two were really built upon (the infamous Sandwich Stouteaxe the Drow Pally mentioned, and Gal'adrah Goldentusk an Orc raised Elf Barbarian) before it seemed to peter out, there was some potential in Professor Dwarf, and Keekee the Bold-Elf, Violet the Halfling Elf was pretty much doomed to be nothing more than waifubait.
It was okay when it was Sandwich and Goldentusk, Keekee was pushing it (but had potential in a sort of wild girl type way) but once it hit Violet and Professor Dwarf it was running pretty thin. That said I always liked the idea of making elves more orc-like and just kicking those greenskins to the curb.

>That said I always liked the idea of making elves more orc-like
In your typical D&D setting both orcs and wood elves seem to fit into the same niche at this point. Largely because as time has gone one wood elves have become more 'savage' in order to differentiate them from high elves, and orcs have become more 'noble savage' esque in order to move away from being a purely evil race. As such the two races have been moving closer together conceptually.

This thread is overdone.

So, question; my setting has, as part of its backstory-lore, an ancient elven empire that spread from the Feywild to the material plane, but was shattered when a dimensional effect called the Netherstorm was erected, which cut off the Feywild from the materium and basically tore a chunk out of the soul of every elf in the materium.

Moon Elves live on the moon and never found a cure. They are an ennui-ridden, slowly dying race who surround themselves with the dreaming spirits of their dead ancestors in magitek robot vessel-bodies and continue to fight an endless war against alien invaders from beyond the stars.

The Sun Elves were a jungle colony of alchemists who tried to cure their soullessness with alchemy, and it sort of worked, but turned them into a primitive tribal culture of dusky-skinned battle-worshipping amazons.

Then there's the gorgons, who tried to use the magic in ancient dragon relics to patch up their souls and were turned into serpent-featured monsters and driven mad by inherited draconic racial memories.

Do any of these three races still count as elves?

1 and 2 yes, 3 no. They are all shit though.

Oh look, three identical humans.

>Gravity Elves
Due to a backfired attempt to obtain the ability to fly, these elves are completely unaffected by gravity. No matter the conditions, they always behave like if they were suspended in weightlessness. Although their condition is fairly uncomfortable, it comes with the ability to suspend gravity for other objects, or to increase it. Their towns resemble ornate orbital stations suspended near steep peaks or other inaccessible landmarks to prevent mingling with other races. They use their weight manipulation abilities to mine copious amounts of ore from places unreachable even by dwarves.

>Mirror Elves
Believing that the realm of gods lies behind mirrors, these elves live on the shores of a large lake of quicksilver - the largest mirror in the world. Constantly breathing mercury steam is very dangerous, and while elven health protects them from poisoning, the effect compounds over time, leading them to insanity and inexplicable temper shifts. Naturally, they put mirror surfaces on nearly everything - the walls of their buildings, their armour, and their trademark mirror masks. Notably, they use systems of mirrors to concentrate sunlight into deadly heat rays that they use to incinerate their enemies. Mirror elves are famously adept at copying, to the point that they can immaculately copy an enemy warrior's technique after sparring with him for only a couple of minutes.

>Aural Elves
While all elves are known for their extremely developed ears that give them excellent hearing, the ears of aural elves are so advanced that they can hear sounds well outside the hearing range of any other sentient race. Naturally, they dedicate their lives to composing music. Although nobody but other aural elves can hear their compositions in all of their intricacy, they never fail to elicit strong and genuine emotions from the listeners. Unfortunately, they tend to avoid outsiders, for the crude and disharmonious noise of their voices is physically painful to them

Look at the ears

Do humans count as primates? If yes, then gorgons count as elves.

Slavic fantasy does look very elvish

Slav elves are best elves

These are some kind of Siberian/Eskimo elves though

ancient prehistoric Slavs before they were uplifted by Perkunas, obviously

Mirror Elves sound pretty fucking cool, do they also use mercury elementals?

I heard they fucked Orcs. Any truth to that?

Orcs are animals that spawn from pits of muck, no one fucks them.

My elf divisions and pretty much all the lore that I have on them (cause I build this setting slow af)

>Background
Initially there were high elves. They shared their continent with another race. They went to war and the other race decided to nuke them good. The continent turned into a wasteland. Many died, some escaped and few have adapted. The other race disappeared.
>Iron elves
OGs. Basically they are tough guy elves that are at best indifferent to others They are named like that because they are grey colored and turn into metallic dust when they die. They are the race with the best individual fighters.
Actually they existed before the nuking of the elven continent and lived in harsh conditions because they were exiles. High elves turned to them for help during the war but were told to fuck off. So after the nuking the iron elves thrived.
>Frost elves
Basically iron elves but live unreasonably far in the north and are pale and shit. They descend from iron elves exiled by iron elves. Lol. And of course they can turn into ice statues. They have powerful magic and maybe will unleash it upon the world one day, who knows.
>Wood elves
>High elves
Obviously the migrants. Generic atm.
>Demon elves (placeholder name)
Descend from elves who tried to travel to another dimension during the nuking. It ended badly and the universe permabanned them from returning to the world. They are now a race of interdimensional mercenaries and assassins and their only way to enter the main world is to be summoned, typically for a contract. Because they are banned they appear twisted and malformed when they enter the world.
>Orcs
The first orcs were once elves and some humans. They were turned unwillingly by a vengeful high elf whom they followed.
Also orcs in my setting have many breeds so they are as diverse as dogs are.
>Batfolk
A group of greedy elves who dug too deep and were enslaved and transformed by a dark entity. They now live in upside down subterranean temple-cities.

>Orcs
I wish people would stop copying TES.

Ok i will pretend i dont know who did elves into orcs before TES but i dont copy TES because its lgbt garbage setting and TES depiction of orcs is probably one of the worst

It'd actually be interesting to use this as a way to lampoon the whole elves treating humans as children things. If elves took such a long time to grow up (as compared to humans), they why wouldn't they percieve humans as worryingly hardened at a young age?

>and they grow up very slowly.
Except they don't. They have a different definition of adulthood, but this makes absolute sense considering their lifespan. Okay, maybe there are some editions that say that they grow up slower, but it seems pretty common to me that they grow at the same rate as humans.

It's more likely that adult elves get to a stage where they stop giving a fuck about petty things, while humans only reach this stage as they grow old.

>TES is LGBT garbage
lolno

I suppose mercury isn't an element in the majority of settings, though they probably use a large number of mercury golems.

>Freak Elves
Once a tribe of poets and artists, these elves were heartbroken when they came to the bitter realisation that true beauty is unattainable. So they changed their beliefs radically and created a cult of ugliness. Ugliness is desirable to them, while beauty is horrible and deserving of destruction. Everything they make is deliberately made as repulsive as possible, from their houses of grey concrete to their grotesque clothes. Pregnant freak elf women take toxic potions to increase the likelihood of their children getting congenital deformities, with a great success rate.

>Steam Elves
These elves inhabit a valley known for its constant geyser eruptions, which permanently shroud the ground in scalding steam. Therefore, steam elves have to build their houses on stilts, and also to walk on stilts outside - they do it so much that they feel less comfortable walking on their feet than on stilts. However, the geysers have positive as well as negative sides - their eruptions power up the machines that steam elves are famous for, most notably the cable cars that course between the elven towns.

>Gold Elves
While most elves only see means to an end in money, gold elves are obsessed with acquiring wealth. They control much of the world trade and make great profits, although they themselves don't produce much. Their merchants tattoo their bodies and faces with powdered gold, to the extent that the richest of them look like golden statues that came alive. Their cities of gem-encrusted marble and ivory are said to contain more gold than most kingdoms have in their treasuries and draw thieves from all over the world. However, getting into one is easier said than done, for they are protected by layers upon layers of mirages that are nigh-impossible to navigate without a map.

>i dont copy TES because its lgbt garbage
I can't begin to comprehend the reasoning behind this.

You mean sami elves?

Reminder that dwarves literally cannot handle elven wine because it's too strong for them.