Underrated Warrior Cultures

I am fucking tired of the ubiquitous Samurai, Viking, Teuton and Roman archetypes, Veeky Forums. Can you share other warrior cultures whether historical or fictional that are underused in settings?

I'll start:
youtube.com/watch?v=I3-47A5r54Y

>Nihang(Crocodile) or Akali(Immortal) is the current military order of the Sikhs. Their role are largely ceremonial now because of peace, but all Nihangs, men and women, are required to carry several weapons and be proficient in martial arts and horse riding.

>The Nihangs wear bright blue clothing and a turban known as the dumala. When Aurangzeb banned turbans among civilians, the Sikhs deliberately wore the dumala which was twice the usual height. Their turbans carry five different associated with them

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eWkrQQly6xU
youtube.com/watch?v=rcyoIWwR8tw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

maoris

Yeah the losers of history generally aren’t celebrated.

>The losers of history generally aren't celebrated
>Vikings are so awesome! They truly showed Europe what the Nordic Master Race is made of!

>established England and Russia
Sure not as impressive as pushing UN legislations along with other losers which would allows corrupt tribal chiefs to sue anyone for cultural appropriation.

Come on, I thought Veeky Forums was above shitposting. What is
>the Confederacy
>Bonnie Prince
>Vercingetorix
>the Apache
>the Alamo

Tell that to /pol/.

Traditionally the Nihangs are characterized by two attributes: fearlessness and being of great moral character.

>loves all and whose ways are distinct from all,
>eats only that which he earns and considers begging a sin,
>in difficult times has faith and remains happy,
>guards the Sikh temples without a desire for gain,
>always eager to fight a just and righteous war,

They eschew worldly possessions and live in Sikh temples when on the move and otherwise live on arenas that belong to their particular school.

The Nihangs have a cant of their own that is used to display boundless optimism as well as conceal their plans, being a military order.

>"Me, Myself": Fauj(Army)
>Quilt: Aflatoon
>Money: Chillar(Junk)
>Salt: Nectar
>One: Hundred Thousand
>Coarse grain: Ambrosia
>Disaster: Heaven
>Death: To Rise
>Sickness: Being serviced by death's daughter

>The Confederacy

Racist losers

>Bonnie Prince

French educated weak loser

>Vercingetorix

Gaulish loser who's only bigged up to make Ceaser look better.

>The Apache

Practically non-existent losers who no one would even know about if it wasn't for cowboy films.

>The Alamo

A battle fought and lost but with their actions managed to buy time and motivate the rest of the Texans to fight the Mexicans, winning independence, so not losers.

>Normans were vikangz
Lindybeige please

>That’s it. I’m sick of all this “botched AK clone” bullshit that’s going on in the d20 system right now. INSAS deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
>I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine INSAS in Khyber pass for 2,400,000 goats (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even shoot bullets (sometimes) with my INSAS.
>Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering India? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the fearsome Sikh and their INSAS of destruction.

>>Vercingetorix
>Gaulish loser who's only bigged up to make Ceaser look better.
The worst thing is that he was hyped up specifically because he's not Catholic. That's it, French Republicans wanted a "French" hero who's not Catholic and the best they could do was Vercingetorix. Goes to show you what a country does when it abandons its roots: it throws a whole pile of heroes (including motherfucking Clovis and Charlemagne) in the trash to start worshipping an unwashed barbarian that got ROME'D hard.

If you're going to shitpost at least improve the formatting.
>Battle of Wizna
>Thermopylae
>Roman Nose
>Sitting Bull
>Crazy Horse
>Geronimo
>Boudicca
>Ragnar Lothbrok
>Saigo Takamori
>Battle of Gallipoli

No one is saying one culture is better than the other, user. The OP just says that he's tired of seeing the same not!samurai and not!viking everywhere. What's so wrong about that?

Sikh are just about as tired as not!samurai and not!viking.

What? Can you please give some references?

Modern Native American (CAN) rez fighters. Old, deep traditions and rituals involving the huffing of gas and other inhalants, followed by targeted rural violence against real and imagined persecutors. Multi-generation war parties assemble for battle at traditional sites like the burned out post office building or what's left of an old brick building thought to have been the police station, back in the dream time, or the 90's. The Great Whiteness provides so long as a steady supple of children is fed into it.

Then give other examples

>I'm Sikh and I've had enough

That's like a Japanese or Norwegians saying they've had enough of samurai or vikings.

Using Sikhs in as a warrior culture has nothing to do with real-life Sikhs. The Sikhs more often than not got their asses handed to them. It's their traditions and culture that makes them different.

t. Sikh

All I know about them is that the old granny Sikh ladies ram their frigging shopping carts into the back of my ankles every time I'm in line at Wallmart and other econoshit tier stores. And when I was in elementary school there was one boy who was a real fucking asshole. No matter how much shit we gave him or beat him up he was always a real mean prick, pinching and stealing stuff, mouthing off to everyone. I'd have some serious Sikh self shame if I was in fact one.

>That's like saying you're a Nazi but you're sick of mustard.

>>Battle of Wizna
Just look at the mount of polish jokes.
>>Thermopylae
Spartans send a token force and a ton of slaves and die because they don't understand the concept of 'tactical withdrawal'.
>>Sitting Bull
End up basically just acting as a bandit for years, fail to get anything done and end up in a Wild West show as a living parody of yourself.
>Crazy Horse
Kill 90 people with a thousand men, then wipe out a single Cavalry column because the guy leading it was an idiot.
>>Geronimo
See Sitting Bull except he didn't even get the big time and was limited to state fairs.
>>Boudicca
Got ROMAN'D hard at the first sign of decent resistance. Only resurrected because >muh British Nationalism.
>>Ragnar Lothbrok
Made Alfred look good, then went home and got assassinated. Wow.
>>Saigo Takamori
Utter retard who wanted to still kill peasants and sit around doing nothing. Died due to charging modern guns with early modern gear.
>>Battle of Gallipoli
Stupid idea by Churchill, poorly planned out using crap boats and a waste of men/resources. Should have been ended a month after it was clear they weren't getting up the strait. Only important for Australians and New Zealands to wank about despite most of the troops who died there were British.

I'm not responsible for what others do. People, no matter what you might think, are the same everywhere no matter their race, class or religion.

>t.butthurt civilised romaboo

Thanks for correcting the formatting of your posts. You missed the point though. I shared defeats that are celeberated, their tactical relevance is immaterial

Yes, I think you are. It's you. You are responsible for what other people do. Everything! Get out of here.

Celebrated post-facto often for no reason related to the reasons why they were fighting or why they died. Romanticism is all well and good, but losers are losers and often people celebrating them go against what they were all about. Like with Thermopylae which has become all sorts of feted and wrapped up in really weird ideas that have nothing to do with an arrogant Spartan king dragging his bodyguard and slaves into death due to not wanting to lose face and now somehow have become a codeword for resistance and freedom.

You are attacking the strawman here. Whether deserved or not, I have shared instances of celebrated defeats that refutes your original argument.

To be fair, the Spartans themselves almost instantly started propagating that victory to build their warrior society image around. It's less romanticism than opportunistic propaganda efforts by the Spartans themselves.

The Azande would make an interesting inspiration. Their succession was determined by having all the king's sons fight each other. For wars between fellow Zande, they had rules and traditions designed to limit causalities, such as always fighting in the late afternoon so that either side would be able to retreat under cover of darkness if they started to really lose. Against foreign enemies, however, they were mostly notable for being willing to just throw people at an enemy until everyone on one side was dead, although they were also very skilled in ambush and skirmish tactics. They had an intense hatred for basically anyone who wasn't also Zande which at least partially manifested itself in threatening to eat their foreign enemies, it is not clear whether they actually did this or it was just a form of psychological warfare though.

They used throwing knives similar to these quite a lot. The point of this seems to have been that they're weirdly shaped and awkward to use meaning that if an enemy captured them they wouldn't be able to use them effectively due to the awkwardness involved in wielding them. That said they also seem to be able to go 'around' shields, which is useful when you're not fighting armoured opponents, and also to produce a humming noise while thrown, which could have been used for intimidation purposes.

The use of throwing knives as ranged weapons in battle seems to have resulted from really hating bows for some reason. Although they did adopt firearms very quickly and capably once they got them.

It occurs to me that between the xenophobia, efforts to limit casualties in internal wars, agility focused fighting style and stealthy approach to attack they'd make an interesting elven warrior culture

>efforts to limit casualties in internal wars
This is why all warrior cultures suck at war compared to the nominal pacifists that would murder anyone for a parcel of farmland.

My statement wasn't that they weren't celebrated, it was that they were losers who mostly shouldn't be celebrated and a lot of them are only even in he public consciousness because their defeat was taken and twisted into something heroic millennia or centuries after the fact for causes and reasons utterly alien to them.

>Look at what you made me do!
>I didn't want to conquer your lands, burn your cities, enslave your people, salt the earth and declare whatever's left a new province
>I just wanted to farm in peace

See:

Not me.

>Inb4 you fucked around with shit.

Don't know how and don't care enough to do so.

>What are Anglo-Saxons?

So basically I wasted my time debating you

>What are the Anglo-Saxons?

Vikings conquered russia. Afterwards, russians have phobia about white conquerer from west.

I think Klingons are a great choice. As a warrior culture they are par excellence. Underutilized? In fact, I have never seen them in anything besides Star Trek. Klingons are race and class in one. You can't have a Klingon wizard. Depending on the system they appear in though, they can multi-race. It's technical.

No warrior culture will ever remain long. Non-warrior cultures properly shank and ass-rape them in the long run. Then we relagate them into dark corners of history and vax nostalgia about 'mah awesome warrior culture' to hide our shame of shanking and ass-rapery. :)

One man's shame is another man's night out on the town.

It's weird that Britain is not mentioned more often in these kinds of threads. The British Empire was the largest in history if you're going to take anyone as inspiration for a military power, why not them?

Because this is mostly an American website and Americans hate Bongs.

Also they never really had a martial tradition beyond the idea of the yeomanry. It was basically merchants getting into conflicts over trading and trying to stop Europe from being unified enough to conquer them.

Partially this We weren't so much a 'warrior culture' as a lot of very heavily armed merchants. To coin a term from those ridiculous adventurer guild threads, we'd be an 'adventurer' culture.

>Warrior Culture
>hurr durr these guys lost
No shit, that's usually what happens to "warrior cultures" throughout history to the point where they start telling themselves that "perishing on the battlefield is more honorable than dying on bed after never loosing a single battle"
>mfw martials

Vikings were invited to rule Kievan Rus, idiot.

>British Empire just an adventurer guild that got out of hand and was taken over by the King.

Surprisingly accurate.

youtube.com/watch?v=eWkrQQly6xU

Privateers kinda of feed into this too.
Fuck, is bongland the original adventurer's guild?

>Mongols
>Jurchen
>Bedouin
>Janissaries
>Mamluks
>Pashtun
The fuck are you on about?

>Winged Hussars
Always relevant

Hell, the reason why the Hundred Years War lasted so long was because you had stock markets in London funding raids across France for profit which would then be split amongst the investors and members of the expedition.

>Americans hate Bongs
No they don't, they can't stop wanking off the Bongs. I'd say not to limit your knowledge of the world to /int/ but even on /int/ you see this.

>losers of history

I believe OP was asking for unique aesthetics and not a ethnic/tribal dick measuring contest

That's an /int/ meme. If you want a country that gets real life Americans frothing at the mouth, just say -ANYTHING- about France. They don't care about history, nor the fact that Macron is the only West European leader not vocally shitting on Trump. They hate it.

the amerimutt meme came about on /pol/ long before it was on /int/.

You got one of them sources for that? Sounds interesting.

Considering all the constant turmoil in EE it's really a under-used setting

Pretty much any decent book on the Hundred Years War goes into it; Dick Whittington was one of the people who got very rich due to investing in Chevaucees.

Weren't Chevauchees used by both sides though?

They can't stop wanking off potatoniggers. They vaguely like the bongs because of their accents and queen but otherwise its just ayy tea in harbor lmao

>Established England and Russia
The vikings ruled England for about two generations, the the Russians didn't start to become relevant until long after the Norse were fully absorbed and assimilated into Slavic culture.

Idk about details, but being used by both sides sounds like it would make the owner pretty rich.

>Vercingetorix
How does anybody not look down on Vercingetorix, he is a legendarily incompetent general.

>Not stripping naked, painting yourself blue and running screaming into battle

>he is a legendarily incompetent general
Caesar himself would disagree. In general Vercingetorix did everything he could've done to stop the Romans and he would've won if not for the fact that he was facing Caesar.

That said, the French had utterly ignored him until the 19th century, he had always been a footnote in Caesar's story. In the 19th century he suddenly became a national hero due to two factors:
1. Nationalism is one hell of a drug. See: Britain with Boudica, Germany with Arminius (who did get his ass kicked by the Romans after Teutoburg beeteedubs)
2. Vercingetorix is not Catholic. The Third Republic (1871-1940) was fiercely anti-Catholic, probably relating to the fact that the Vatican condemned the original revolution from the start and didn't start backpedaling until Napoopan was knocking on their door. As such they wanted to rewrite history and get rid of the original founder of France, Clovis, as Clovis had converted to Catholicism as part of his founding of France/Francia/Whatever. As such they had to dig deep and found this pagan Gaul called Vercingetorix whom they decided was hot shit.

De Gaulle (who may be the most ironically named person in French history) detested this and openly re-established that there was no France prior to Clovis, but as far as I know the French education still runs with that whole "our ancestors the Gauls" bullhockey and nobody remembers who Clovis is.

He actually defeated the Romans a bunch of times and if you read up on him, he made brilliant tactical and strategic choices

>who did get his ass kicked by the Romans after Teutoburg beeteedubs
>implying he had any chance against Rome
>implying Teutoberg wasn't a miracle in itself
>never betrayed his roots despite having been brought up as a roman, was eventually defeated because of love
There can be no better national hero than Arminicus, I would gladly lose ten Caesars for one Arminicus. Not even a kraut

>Not even a kraut
Surprising, because I hoped only a kraut could admire such betrayal of those who previously treated you kindly. The greatest tragedy in history is the number of times Germany could've been destroyed but wasn't and everyone else ended up paying the price for it.

Clovis is still taught to be the first true king of France, and "our ancestors the Gauls" still run in elementary school and in public debate, with people saying it's true and other saying that no it isn't, we're all immigrants

>Clovis is still taught to be the first true king of France
I see, perhaps not all is lost and this can even co-exist with the "our ancestors the Gauls" narrative. Perhaps everything will be alr-
>we're all immigrants
Rev up that guillotine because I sure see a lot of traitors!

The Koryaks weren't diehard warriors, but their armor was neat.

France

>Rev up that guillotine because I sure see a lot of traitors!
I can confirm that, as usual, a good part of the french population want to torch the place to the ground and bring back the guillotine

But actually yeah, the Clovis and Vercingetorix narrative is coexisting well. We have the ancestors of our civilization, ancient greece and rome, the ancestors of our people, the Gauls, and the founder of the realm, Clovis. It provide a high amount of smugness that we really like.

Russia was established by Mongol Rapebabies known as Muscovites.

>Yeah the losers of history generally aren’t celebrated.
So the Samurai then?

Couldn't even invade the country next to them and was wiped out by modernization?

>That girly face
>That feminine penis
Clearly not gay.

>kindly
What the hell, he was a hostage kept around to be paraded as a symbol of Roman victory and used as a bargaining chip

What do you think Normans means? Norse men.

I love the idea of a peaceful farming folk who will flip the fuck out.
Like if all hobbits were hulk.

Probably thought up by Russian agents butthurt over the vatnik meme and the failure of their obvious cointel "fatnik" forced meme.

By the way, Americans are pretty fond of Brits mutual joking aside.

t. Amerimongrel

As far as underrated warrior cultures, how about Eurasian steppe nomads and the Native American horse cultures of the western United States/northern Mexico? Scared the shit out of their enemies and were brutal as fuck.

Looks cool. Really wacky. Looks as thought those are the only two guys ever to wear that particular style of armor. Because it prevented them from running away from the polar bear that is just left of frame. The cameraman was wearing a more sensible track suit and trainers.

And all Norse people are vikings?

That too. People forget that the continental Celts managed to beat the Romans multiple times, even going so far to sack Rome (and ran riot over Macedonia/northern Greece as well as Anatolia) and expand all over Europe due to being some of the first Europeans to work iron. They were a serious force in the early Iron Age and were frequently used as mercenaries throughout Europe and the Mediterranean world.

Not unique to Britain though. Same with basically any country that made a lot of money and killed a lot of dudes in far away places in the Age of Discovery.

Chevauchees are scorched earth raids user. The have no owner and make no one rich.

It's how the French say Chevy Chase. No lampooning.

>155 years between rollo and guillaume the conqueror
>7 generations between them
>normans were totally not french guys, they were still vikingz

Saxons were pretty vikingy tho

Well the maori are kind of in fashion right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=rcyoIWwR8tw

Circassians.
>Promised by god that they could either live a life of peace and be ordinary, or could have the bravest soldiers and the most beautiful women and live lives of pain and sorrow.
>Pick the latter.
>End up on the run from a numerically and technologically superior enemy who commuted a genocide against them.
>Be strangers in a strange land.
>End up becoming the warrior caste of their adopted homeland because they helped the king when he was in trouble.

That's the great irony about the British. Spend two centuries in France, marry and reproduce with the local population, adopt the faith of the local population, speak the language of the local population, identify as one of the local population, move abroad and your family keeps speaking French for centuries until their family is absorbed by another French family through marriage, and you're vikings. But if a FoB Paki moves to London, marries another Paki, remains Islamic, speaks broken English in public but exclusively Urdu in private, teachers their children Urdu and sends them to Islamic schools they're "quintesentially British".

It's like they only see what they want to see.

>Hi, I don't live in Britain and know nothing about it

>apache
>literal manlets
>literal betas who's whole culture had institutionalized the mindset that men had to physically hide from his wife's female relatives and not even talk about them because they ALLOWED him to have his wife
>lost so bad they had to get help from other tribes and still lost
>literal nobodies who wouldn't be known if they didn't crop up in texas and thus old west movies

Hobbits will and do do that. You just have to prod them the right way and they're slow to that action but some are just rarely born to be badasses.
Ex: Bandobras "Bullroarer" Took

>the bravest soldiers and the most beautiful women
>pic related is circassian women
>men run away in fear of camera stealing their souls