/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-w20-pentex-employee-indoctrination-handbook-plus-new-year-new-game-and-more/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/and-then-we-flu-back-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
A friend of mine's running Requiem soon and, despite me personally hating it with a passion, I trust her as a storyteller to make something good out of it. Is there anything I should know beyond the obvious fundamentals as a newfag of a player or is it best experienced by just jumping in after reading the book?
>New Geist preview
theonyxpath.com/all-souls-day-preview-geist-the-sin-eaters/
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/variations-on-a-theme/
>General Creation Kit
mega.nz/#F!FWJgBTbb!f7d5rARWHYzuI8-8aI-Bxw

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/filegroup/vK7u0LZNFoZ4coL+PxZFW90pPd3OC6Z+
sendspace.com/file/w8db8l
youtube.com/watch?v=1pB7PzdLzSA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is there anything I should know

that majesty or dominate will give you much much more oomph than fightiness will

That much is apparent since we're using Majesty in another friend's ongoing VtM game thanks to her suggestion. We replaced normal Presence with it since all of us agreed that Entrancement was pretty overpowered and she thought it'd be worthwhile to translate the Majesty rules into oWoD rules.

Were 2e Hunter or Changeling ever released?

Not yet.

thanks

As an ST who runs both Masquerade and Requiem, I have to posit the question 'why do you hate it?' Perhaps if we can get through THAT, you can actually enjoy it.

Hate might be too strong a term in retrospect. I just don't enjoy how it ended up more or less being a bland copypaste that was ultimately "Masquerade minus lore." Personally, I feel CofD is at its best when it distances itself from oWoD and does its own thing, of which the big three definitely failed to do (with the possible exception of Awakening, but I haven't read enough about it to formulate my opinion on that matter). I'll eat up games like Geist or Lost, but the big three doesn't do much for me -- Requiem is basically more or less Vampire GURPS and is only useful as a blank-slate toolbox for talented DMs.

Someone should still be fighty. It's nice to have a option when you see a frenzy.

Right. I understand that viewpoint (and, as a side note, thank you for articulating it in a manner that isn't THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS/THEY REMOVED THE BROKEN THING THAT I LIKED). Requiem 1e particularly suffers from not hewing far enough away from Masquerade's baseline.(which I get, so as not to completely alienate their playerbase).

One of the best points I try to bring up for people who have a deep love for Masquerade (like us) and want to give Requiem a try is: don't try to do an apples to apples comparison. Yes, they reused a lot of terminology, but enough has changed that it deserves its own uninhibited review. The changes to clans to be archetypes, I feel, granted a LOT of interesting options (I will forever cite the Ventrue Trailer Park Lord as a character that was something that would never be a viable concept in Masquerade, for example; and having Nosferatu not be Orlock, despite what artists always draw, was a good change), and the change up in the political structures (particularly adding some semi-religious/mystical things that didn't require you to also have to deal with a familial tie) was intriguing. I guess articulating this is 'without the lore, you can find things you liked from Masquerade in a new form, sometimes coupled with things you never thought they would go with. And they work'. Like the trans-vampirism goal of the Ordo, for example.

That's fair. I'll try to look at it that way and go in with that mindset. We are using 2E at least, so hopefully that'll mean the distinctions are made more clear.

2e has a benefit of not being a direct copy/paste of Masquerade powers in a few instances. While I feel that some of the powers got WAY overdone (I'm sorry Ordo, you are my favorite covenant, but surgically implanting a Mage's arm and getting access to their magic is NOT balanced).

Have you decided on what you're playing for the game?

I haven't fully conceptualized it by any means since a lot of details on the chronicle have still yet to be cemented, but I'm probably gonna play a member of the Lancea et Sanctum. Since the game's going to be set in Greece I was thinking of looking into Requiem for Rome for some ideas and options -- given that there's obviously a lot of cultural similarities between ancient Greece and ancient Rome -- but I'm not sure whether or not there'll be anything particularly relevant in there for a modern game. Couldn't hurt to check and ask though.

Requiem for Rome is a good read regardless. And yeah, it'd be difficult to have a solid concept if the chronicle's details aren't yet ironed out. If I had more detail I'd offer some input; at the very least, I hope you have a great time with it.

Thanks, man. I'm feeling relatively confident in it despite the concerns I voiced about Requiem as a setting. The DM's the one who got me into Dreaming when I originally had a rather irrational hatred of Changeling rooted in word-of-mouth, so I'm sure she can do the same for Requiem, or if nothing else that the chronicle itself'll be competently made.

Cheiron Group x Ashwood Abbey
Thoughts ?

In what way? The Group being paid to make hyper-drugs from the kills of the Abbey so they can have new ways to 'enjoy' their kills?

You are welcome. I used to be wary of Dreaming because of bad experiences (granted, this distaste came from LARP, and I can only describe the distaste coming from 'Childling sexual relationships', ugh) and a good friend of mine ended up selling me back on it with a solid chronicle (and the fact that C20 fixed the issues that I had helped as well), so I get you there. It sounds like this friend will be a good ST for Requiem too.

>Childing sexual relationships

Yeah, it was... well, childling relationships in general. Anything to do with Changeling when childlings HAD TO BE ages 6-13 was blech, especially with that crowd.

>Were 2e Hunter or Changeling ever released?

No, but the Changeling 2e draft from the Kickstarter was shared? If you want to play, most of C2e is there.

sendspace.com/filegroup/vK7u0LZNFoZ4coL+PxZFW90pPd3OC6Z+

Can someone please share the latest Pentex book? I can't find it on either mega links I got. thanks!

Are there any decent novels/reading based on nwod of owod? Need some good vampire fiction.

>good vampire fiction.
user, I've got some news for you.

>latest Pentex book

sendspace.com/file/w8db8l

You great friend. kudos.

Anyone here played a Ravnos? A Hindu Ravnos maybe? I'm kind of curious about the Clan in general, but am looking to see how people take it for a spin of their own.

>THEY REMOVED THE BROKEN THING THAT I LIKED

Not him, but they did. I mean, sure they have Obtenebration in Requiem through one bloodline, but holy shit, it's fucking nothing.

I've never played a Ravnos, but I've crafted a few for others, and partaken in chronicles where I had a Ravnos as a Sheriff played by a very good friend of mine who I RP'd with for over a decade. Sadly, none of them played an Asian Ravnos- it was always a Gypsy or a Scandinavian Skald.

The Sheriff, A.J Zeniro:

>Physical was his primary, and he was built like a brick fucking wall.
>Seriously, this guy was probably the same dimensions as Bane from 'Batman Forever' with the physical fighting capability of Yuri fucking Boyka.
>Always dressed like it was about to rain, with a huge see-through raincoat over a comically 1980's Vice-esque pastel suit
>Had a massive hat which contained various 'bags of tricks' which were essentially just powdered psychoactive substances for humans or powdered explosives for kindred
>Dumped all of his points into Fortitude until he had 4 points, then took 'Additional Discipline' just to get a single point into Chimestry
>Immediately when awarded XP, he added in a second dot
>He had a slew of merits that were perfect for just shutting a room up: Bruiser, Useful Knowledge: Roma Tricks (anything related to psychic trickery, tarot card reading, gave him an occult bonus basically)
>Flaw: Guilt Wracked. This guy can't accept the fact he thinks that he's stronger, faster, and just generally better than he was in his mortal life due to his embrace. He's super fucking pissed about it and is genuinely angry he needs to drink blood.
>Is the Sheriff of an Anarch Toreador 6th Gen who lives in a mansion that is guarded by a Tzimisce who has literally become the fucking basement, on the agreement that he gets to eat any Camarilla or Sabbat that try to the assault the Baron's domain

It's been many many years since that game, but that's the jist of what I remember of him.

The Claude, went by the name 'Bagi'

>13th Gen Ravnos, super fucking fresh
>Commits grand theft auto on a regular basis, to the point where his sire had bought an underground parking lot and he had zero points in resources afterwards
>Primary: Social, dropped all of his points into manipulation and appearance
>1 intelligence, 2 perception, 5 wits
>Dropped his primary and a few bonus points into Skills: Drive, 5. Melee, 3. Firearms, 4. Craft, 3 (Automotive)
>Had a specialization in technology: mechanics
>He would treat every single outing with the coterie as if they were going to get a job from a gang-leader, Mafia member, or Pentex Zaibatsu Corporate drone
>Primary weapons: A fully automatic glock 17 and three rigged up aerosol cans with a modified novelty oversized zippo-lighter
>He would combine his Chimerstry 3, Apparition, to turn what was a really decent flamethrower into a supersoaker that shot out really cold water
>His victims never realized it was fire until they were trying to soak aggravated and lethal damage
>Half the time he'd set them on fire, fail Rothshrek roll, and drop the cans + Flee the room + Tear the throat out of anyone flanking the group
>Worked as a janitor, only drove Jaguars, every other session was him manipulating the police to convince them they were just being racist and thinking every Hungarian looks the same

>Ventrue Trailer Park Lord as a character that was something that would never be a viable concept in Masquerade

Why not? Very few clans have stereotypes actually changed by the blood.

But I definitely think the Nosferatu tweaks are a massive improvement, if for no other reason than getting a good signature Discipline.

Nightmare probably works.

The adventures of Mengy-kun and his friends, the preppy torture-rapists? Could work.

Making a racer speed demon Gangrel from requiem, any tips?

>When a character is triggered, the player rolls her Glamour at a difficulty of 8. If the roll fails, the character gains a Banality point.

Hey, can someone post that "terribly mature storytelling" image with all the ridiculous oWoD stuff on it? I was surprised to find I didn't have it saved.

Black Tooth is all you really need desu

What rotes and spheres does this Akashic Brother have? Also what arete?

Drive skill

The lore of the Ventrue does not line up with 'trailer park lord' in the way that the Ventrue trailer park lord is set up in the Ventrue clan book. A standard OWoD Ventrue would never Embrace a guy like that. It may be 'stereotyped' but it's a fact of how the Ventrue, as a clan, are presented throughout Masquerade

So? Requiem isn't Masquerade 4th Edition.

The Sabbat one I made? Unfortunately its on my other comp which is defunct for now, but I'd love it if someone else saved it.

>A standard OWoD Ventrue would never Embrace a guy like that.

That's silly. The Embrace is free, and they may simply do it to save someone's life or for any number of pragmatic reasons or schemes. The only inherent tendency of Ventrue is towards mind control powers and being picky eaters.

>picky eaters?

That comes after the embrace, Ventrue dont seek out vegetarians and only embrace them. Or somebody who will only eat fruit....

>That comes after the embrace

Hence inherent

Exactly how do you cause the "Bonded" condition on an animal in the nwod 2e core book?

I assumed it to say something like "with a successful animal ken roll, a character can train an animal to have the Bonded condition, he may only have one Bonded animal at a time, and its death or permanent loss is a Breaking Point"

Right. The Embrace is free, and I get what you're saying, but thematically and fluff-wise there is little impetus to Embrace someone in that manner, especially if they don't fit the standard leadership profile that most Ventrue look for. And within the Ventrue hierarchy, you have issues that come with the expectations of the Clan, such as Dignitas and conceptuals that go beyond just 'the Embrace is free'. Not discounting that, as it does happen, but it's not 'default' or an expected outcome.

This doesn't mean that the character is invalid, far from it, nor does this mean they can't advance and become what the Ventrue normally look for, especially if they already have those traits and that's what they're being Embraced for. But it's a different step to Embrace for the budding leadership that can be drawn out, and to Embrace the man because he is intrinsically the lord of the things below him. Leadership and lordship are two different, if intertwined, things.

The point is simply that its not "it couldn't happen in owod" but "its unusual." With a VtM char, especially if your clan has a narrow schtick, you're going to sometimes want to embrace people that would fit the schtick of a different clan way better, but what can you do?

I have no doubt that a Ventrue PC that goes on long enough is going to wind up embracing people who fit much less than the trailer park guy. I am sort of surprised that the "leadership" clans don't wind up with a lot of follower types anyway, since it seems like sire and fledgling are going to butt heads if they just embrace top dogs.

I made an entitlement that gave it to you with a hedge beast companion. I assume you can do it with various types of magic.

Yo, trinity kickstarter this tuesday.

OMG, this so very much, are you me, etc.

I liked the "lost civilzation of Atlantis" angle from Awakening and I was bummed out that they dropped it.

Requiem just felt.... lacking. As much as people (atheistfags, generally) bag out the heavy Judeo-Christian influences of Masquerade, it not only suits the culture I was raised in but it made sense. Requiem's attitude of "we won't tell you shit about where vampires come from but it was either a drunken night an Archmage had in Lewisham or something to do with owls" fails to hit that literary G-Spot. It upsets me because the artwork is easily the best OPP have put out to date.

Forsaken had promise but it feels confused as to it's purpose. Is it a metaphor for gang life? Are shifters the thin hairy line between spirit world shenanigans and hapless humans? Is it about Making Pangea Great Again? The artwork felt lacking, too.

Mummy had strong concepts but it doesn't seem built for long term play (starting out with amnesia is great, allows you to discover the character's backstory, but then what? Forget it all and wake up in the year 2525, then go through re-learning it all over again?)

Changeling seemed to have promise, ideas like Goblin Markets and Fetches stealing your whole life make for great stories, but it suffers from a lack of supplements and Rose Bailey's flash-in-the-pan guidance.

Geist is broken. RIP. We can but hope for a 2nd edition.

Beast has some good artwork.

Hunter was just Hunters Hunted 2: Hunt Harder. Oh wait, they already made Hunters Hunted 2. Okay, CofD Hunter is Hunters Hunted 3: Hunt Hard With A Vengeance.

Far and away, out of all the CofD books, the only one that really grabs me and refuses to let go is Promethean. It ticks all the boxes - there is an end game in sight, hope in the midst of despair, unique abilities and enemies, a sense of horror, antagonists hunting you for your ichor, a strangely ambivalent creator god-force-thing, tragedy and sadness and longing.

>I will forever cite the Ventrue Trailer Park Lord as a character that was something that would never be a viable concept in Masquerade,

Sure it is. It just depends on where your campaign is set.

I don't remember anything in the books that said Childlings had to be sexually active.

That said, I do remember that part on the Unseelie sourcebook that said Unseelie Satyrs liked to fuck animals.

youtube.com/watch?v=1pB7PzdLzSA

>That said, I do remember that part on the Unseelie sourcebook that said Unseelie Satyrs liked to fuck animals.
I wonder if that was written by Brucato.

Nancy Collins wrote one.... "Blue Roses for a Dead Lady". I never read it in text, but I remember the graphic novel version was pretty awesome.

Strange, when I look at your post these words don't appear anywhere:

>...assuming that someone's Embrace onwards was a solid upward trajectory without any serious embarassments, betrayals or reversals of fortune that could result in them going into exile and making the most of it by dominating their way to the top of the scrap pile, of course.

I think you're confusing clan stereotypes with some kind of immutable rule of character creation, girlfriend.

You're acting like people don't Embrace out of love, out of despair when they accidentally kill, or out of an urge to leave someone vaguely formidable behind to cover their retreat, which are all canon.

Also, you're acting like Ventrue are never, ever, ever responsible for Caitiff or Thin-Bloods.

The Ventrue, for me, were summed up perfectly by that film The Skulls (itself based on conspiracies surround the Skull and Bones society and That Whole Yale Thing).

Basically, Pacey Witter from Dawson's Creek is just a poor boy, from a poor family, when a secret society at his College spares him his life from this monstrosity by branding him, surgically augmenting his wallet, giving him a free super car, etc. BUT the moment they get pissed off at him, they have the power to crush his life.

It's possible. He wrote extensively for Changeling, and he seems.... oddly concerned with sex.

I point out to you the uncomfortably frequent references in Mage 20th to virgins, virginity, virgin sacrifices, people selling their virginity on the internet... the uncontrollably ribald sexuality of Satyrs in Changeling, of which he identified so strongly he changed his name to Satyros... also, I could be wrong here, but didn't his Black Furies 1st Ed Tribebook have stuff on "mating" that was conspiciously absent from, say, Shadow Lords and Silver Fangs, where lineage is everything?

A-anyone else excited?

Give us the pitch. Why is Trinity important, and why do you love it? If it's a good enough game we could transform the WODG/COFD general into the OPP/WWP general.

This, but finding an excuse for the crushing is a normal part of Ventrue mentoring.

Betrayal. It's in the Blood.

Did anybody ever post Beckett's Jyhad Diary?

No offense, but I'd really rather keep any threads on any other game separate from this place if at all possible.

Is anyone who's running or planning to run an old WoD chronicle looking for a player? I'm a newbie but I'd love to give it a go.

What gen do you lads normally run as? I'm creating a char at the moment and I'm wondering if it's worth spending points on going below 13 steps from Caine.

Sci fi post apocalypse psionic heroes fighting against various alien races, ranging from cowardly puppet masters trying to get mankind to fight their battles to slug creatures manipulated against mankind to a giant coalition of Omni fucking aliens. Oh yeah and the superheros who were banished from earth are coming back, and might be in league with those Omni fuckers.
Game 2 is near future superheros, many of whom are viewed as celebrities. There a company of them trying to be the justice league and make the world a better place in general but also have some shady shit going on on the side, and others who think the superheros basically need to rule the world, lead by this one dude who's butthurt his time traveling boy crush didn't wanna dick down. Oh and also there's a wrestling league for superheros.
There's also the post ww2 pulp heroes adventure, Indiana Jones and doc Savage and so on, but that sadly only got one book before dying.
New to the setting the core book is also apparently going to have a present day action type game, with some mild weird stuff scattered about.

Worth going 8th every time since its pretty much the only thing available at chargen you can't improve afterwards (without extreme measures that are likely to obliterate you)

Depends on the campaign. Talk to your ST about what they want and what the relative Power Levels are. If they are over 9000, spend all your background points on Generation and bum change from your victims.

Thin Bloods have their place - a low-powered street-level campaign that focuses on humanity loss and what it means to be human, mostly.

They're not interchangeable. They do completely different things. You need both though.

No one said they are interchangeable, but there are probably at least two vampires in a VtR game.

I'm going to be running a game of Mage soon, and I don't want the antagonists to seem incompetent because I couldn't think of a practical use for their magic.

Basically, I need a rundown on how a standard Mage of any given path would handle a common situation. For example, how would an Acanthus with 2-3 in his main Arcana handle unexpected combat, preparations for an upcoming battle, scouting, and basebuilding? What about the other paths? etc etc

>unexpected combat

time travel away, or have a Fools Rush In setup so that he gets bonuses for being in an unexpected fight

>preparations for an upcoming battle

monkey's paw on weapons and armor, possibly superlative luck to shoot and dodge good

Remember that with Exceptional Luck, 2 reach and a mana point you can reflexively use Fate 2 to give yourself or a friend the Charmed condition, to amongst other things reduce incoming damage to 1 if you need it, Warding Gesture to CoW vs mental effects

>scouting, and basebuilding

Seeing the future, time traveling away if caught scouting, Shifting the Odds to find whatever you need (including free retainers, mentors, allies, contacts, or resources), Interconnections to see if someone or something is associated with something else.

Aside from Time Travel basically all that is Fate 1-3.

>that reddit spacing

Never really liked the "reddit spacing" meme

Sorry, friendo

Not a meme

It's a nuisance

Of course its a meme.

Otherwise you wouldn't be memeing it.

Since you tried to push your unfunny meme...

I'll be forced to exaggerate it even more.

You're not reddit spacing correctly, guy

Ok?

Kinda

Is there some sort of global limit on what actions may be taken while you're in twilight? For example, is there any rule that you can't cast through a familiar that's in twilight, or that a mage, supernal being or lich in twilight can't cast spells on normal people?

>paragraphs offend me

So sorry. Perhaps you should fuck off?

Twilight is just a state of being.

You can do any action you can normally do. (except interact with non twilight things)

Interact via picking up etc you can still Cast magic on others (since you can see non twilight things)

Got a fluff/setting problem I need help with. Doing a future wod setting using the mirror books and in bleeding edge there's the "synthetic" origin for player characters who want to play your average replicant. Thing is I was under the impression in WoD you cant make souls, at least from reading Mage and Promethean (Clones in that for sure have no souls). So do characters with the synthetic origin have souls? If they do how do I explain that? If they dont does that mean they're immune/vunerable to certain supernatural things? Like can I have a synthetic mage or vampire?

Your going to have to work that out on your own.
Decide for yourself.
But personally you can have intelligence with no soul. But they wouldnt be able to be or become supernatural.

I'm not sure what a synthetic is, but there's no reason why a Blade Runner wouldn't have a soul. Ridley Scott made it clear that despite references to "robotics," Blade Runners are alive.

>you cant make souls

Simply ejaculate into a woman and cross your fingers. There's no reason tech can't speed it up or modify the process.

Also, personally I'd rule that vampires definitely don't need souls. You can be dead for a week and still become a vampire, don't tell me the soul hasn't moved on yet.

>Clones in that for sure have no souls

Does it explicitly say so? Because it'd make sense that, as the implied origin of souls, Promethean-style Clones could have em.

Who the fuck cares about souls. Unless the entire campaign is going to be about "Does a synthetic have a soul" or somebody brings it up nobody will fucking give a shit.

Increased blood pool and per turn spending is big, in combat, with the backgrounds to reliably feed like that. I don't think the Dominate immunity matters a lot in play, NPCs aren't going to automatically use mind-control on you as matter of course unless your ST is railroading you pretty hard and Generation can't solve that. I like 11.

Clones in promethean straight up have no soul acording to the book.

Its a nerd game, somone is bound to nitpick the fine details eventually.

If they aren't mages it doesn't matter how nitpicky they get, they don't have a way to check.

It certainly matters if Dominate is a discipline you wanna use, its probably the most consequential background as it also matters if you ever make fledglings.

Thaumaturgy > True Magick
Lord Tremere was right when he jumped ship

Objectively false lorewise
A matter of opinion mechanically

Stop trying to start shit FFFFFFFFFF
that being said Tremere are dope

samefagging piece of shit