/maps/

Newly started maps general, post maps, rate others, general maps discussion.
Previous thread: Here's mine

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!D98AGbhQ!yDb7QDwEvp6digRJUv55FQ
maptoglobe.com/
scotese.com/future1.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nice to see this kinds of threads are getting a general.

Been at this map for some time, but I'm still undecided as to what to put on the plains east of Jacobstadt or around Fort Ironmire. More forest? Another town/village? Nothing as to not clutter the map?

Constructive criticism and suggestions in general is appreciated.

I think a lush forest and a comfy village would do it only good.

Give that bitch a volcano. Bitches love volcanoes.

mega.nz/#F!D98AGbhQ!yDb7QDwEvp6digRJUv55FQ

A folder of open source how-to-map tutorials and things like brushes, textures, and fonts. Currently uploading a zipped folder of the brushes and everything, should be done soon but there's already a bunch of stuff in there.

If anyone needs any help using photoshop just ask.

And remember, when critiquing a map or asking for advice there are two major aspects:

1) The geography of the map. For example, making sure that rivers don't split in unrealistic ways or flow between two seas. Making sure the right biomes are next to eachother.

2) Aesthetics. Things like legible fonts, well drawn coasts, good colour selections.

If you give advice to someone who posts a map don't just say "your coasts are shit." Try to break your critique into these two halves, because finishing the first part is really important to do before worrying about the second. Someone whose entire map needs work shouldn't be wasting his time picking the perfect colour for his font.

Map of my world
It's culturally inspired by Irish and Welsh culture, but geographically has far more inland continental territory and is further north, leading to some bitterly cold winters

1sq = ~18miles/30km squared

The land was carved by glaciers, especially the northern most parts of it(Arderan), and has lots of lakes, and steep topography with lots of highlands and hills

Feedback on geography or other things?

Your forests don't really look like forests to me. Maybe try something more like this but drawn well? I know you said it was bamboo.

Here's a map I made for a weird little MtG custom plane that I've been tinkering around with in my spare time. It's technically only half finished, but I haven't found the time or inclination to finish adding in all the forests and stuff.

Ironmire and Seedorf sounds a bit weird coming off the tongue, but otherwise I like it.

Some of the coastal edges look a bit sharp. Coasts tend to be a lot more fragmented and gnarly due to the irregular wear of the tides and other water-land erosion effects. Otherwise quite pretty however!

Geographically wise, the mountains look pretty nice, but rivers always flow from a mountain(or lake in a high elevation) downwards to the sea, and they never split or start at a sea

Another thing is Lake Kaval, any lake can have many sources of water flowing into it, but can only have one outflowing river leading down to the sea

And heres a smaller thing but peninsulas going into the water form because the land is higher than sea level, usually meaning there are mountains or at least hills on a peninsula jutting outwards to keep it above water

Here's something i've been working on. Very magical setting, poles of the planet are supposed to be gargantuan focal points for magic, as you get closer to the poles latent magic within the world becomes more apparent (Endless springs of water, floating islands, crystallized magic, etc.)

A good portion of the geography is based on Northern Canada (Hence the many glacial lakes and places with bullshitted inuktitut names)

i like it, very early final fantasy-like

Trying to fiddle around and find a layout for continents that is pleasing to look at before detailing

One word:
Fjords.

From a thread that was constructively derailed-I would have preferred rotating the Med so that Gibraltar=Frisco and Jerusalem=DC

Seedorf means something like "Lake Village" in German trying to go with faux-German naming like the Empire in WHFB

Cool mega folder, user. Definitely should be in the OP.

before you complain about inkarnate maps, remember that it finally killed off campaign cartographer

thank fuck

Thank you very much for this.

Now if only it could get procedural generation of coasts, rivers, etc. And layers for different land masses, tokens, etc. Campaign Cartographer was overpriced and while that map may look simple at least the roads don't look retarded like in Not that it's that person's fault but cmon, that's *good looking* roads for inkarnate. And coasts. Which probably took user hours to get looking that good.

I'm maybe just a bit more bitter than I should be since I paid 25$ for inkarnate pro and it is really unimpressive. There are more tokens and things and the maps can be 4 times bigger but you can't turn the vignette off, you can't select the size or ratio yourself, and there aren't any new features other than more images.

Personally I prefer this version

>hours
You're being hyperbolic, shorelines like that in inkarnate take 15 minutes of extra work.

CC looked nice in b&w, and the colored version wasn't even that bad if you actually turned on sheet effects. I got CC for my 14th birthday and sometimes use it today. I'd still use it if I hadn't moved on to (superior) hex maps.

please help me draw less shitty forest hex tiles

>Newly started maps general

This isn't already a thing? It's like the comfiest thing on Veeky Forums.

Nothing is more comfier than a map with a bunch of footnotes and obscure markings and pathways that only the drawer fully knows the meaning of

Laramidia, Appalachia, Franklinia, Greenland.

Can any paleo-map compete with Mid-Cretaceous North America?

I was actually about to say that your names sound great. Pretty authentic and atmospheric.

You could put a ghost town or abandoned monastery on the plains. Useful as a hideout for outlaws and heretics.

>drawn well
Ha, as if I could do that.

Bumpin'

My goal was to have a world map, then make several region maps for the continents, but Im now thinking that's too much. I may now just make a world map with important locations. Instead of just having the continents named

Would like feedback for my WIP map. Trying out the style of just plain, parchment map with lots of text on it, but I'm not really sure how I'm doing for clarity right now. It feels both busy and rather empty a the same time.

Would the northern island (not greenland) be most ice in a world like this? Would any of it actually be arable?

Also ignore the obvious music reference I am aware of them lmao. Points to anyone who can guess all 4 (2 are giveaways)

The map I started this morning.

Someone was asking about putting a map onto a globe last thread. Well, I saw this link.

maptoglobe.com/

Good luck seeing this user

I saw this and thought of you. Maybe something like this?

Here's the rice method, useful info graph

I'm loving this one!

>Here's mine

Good start.

Considering this is the mid to late cretaceous and the polar ice caps weren't much of a thing back then, there most likely wouldn't be too much ice going on up there.

As for how arable the land is, nobody has a clue as far as I know. I'd think that since the Pliocene glaciation hasn't occurred yet and much of the surface sediments haven't been scraped away into glacial till, it might be farm friendly, but that's just speculation.

Hey guys. I'm working on my next campaign and I'm kind of struggling for a few things and I thought you might help with your map skills.

I'm working on a settings where a few hundred years ago, an ecological disaster led nations in a large migration in the last livable area (it was quite slow so it left enough time for this exodus, but it still led to technological regression, state collapse, etc.)

One of the main plot twist is that this settings is actually earth, in a not so distant future. The place were people moved is Antartica, as earth is now mostly covered with 80°C+ impassable (Climate change) deserts that separate both pole that are the last livable area and aren't aware of each other.

I want my settings to be realist. One of my problematic is not having the map spoil the whole thing.

I think that antartica + rotating the map is already fine for making the map more alien but I want to work out most of what my setting can allow.

For example sea rise (or the contrary), heavy tectonic activites, earth axis changed, etc. That could change a little bit the shape of the world. But I had hard time to come up with anything realistic, and I thought maybe some of you would have an idea?

I feel like a retard

Use those scare maps of what's going to happen if we don't stop global warming.

Change up the names a bit, and you should be fine.

I'm a little bit afraid it might reduce too much the size of Antarctica. Currently it's 14,000,000 km2, 1,3 time Europe.

For some reason I can't post the picture of a submerged but "sea rising antarctica" in google pic scared me

Looking for a way to realistically represent mountains I finally arrived at a conclusion that there is no way to do it over scale of, say, 1:50 000. Should I just say "fuck it" and draw some close approximation?
Also, is it only me that can't upload images?

I notice alot of you guys (and other mappers in other threads) usually do maps that are as big as countries and sometimes multiple continents. Do your adventures really span that far and wide?

How far in the future?

I like how Eurasia and Africa literally became conan's map +150 million years in the future

scotese.com/future1.htm

OP here
I'm not building a world for a game or a campaign, I'm building a setting where I can plunge my mind into and maybe create stories sometimes.

I like the abandoned monastery idea. I think I'll go with that

That's why I started to draw bigger scales. I found too big regions to be overwhelming.

I have a big world map for context but my main map is pretty small, about the size of Denmark or Iceland.

Many people include thousands of miles of land and multiple continents. For reference, continental Europe is only around 2000 miles long, and that's a place packed with so much culture and history it would be near impossible to make a similarly detailed setting without painting large swaths of land as homogeneous. Not to mention travel in a classically medieval setting is extremely slow. Barring any form of magical transportation people can cover only 30-50 miles or so on foot or horse, and less with sailing ships.

I have pretty much a list of all towns in this particular land with more than 100 people. I want it to be that kind of intimate place where you actually have to interact with a community, not "peasant npc #546"

Anybody using Tiled or other tilemaps editors?

Kind of having that problem atm. I feel like I need to map out the entire planet and divide up the land amongst the countries and races. But then it's like... What, orcs have an area the size of Russia? That's not a huge problem I guess but it seems weird because honestly little of it matters and I kind of do want the countries to be homogenous. Each major race gets a country, but I guess little races can have stolen bits and there can be disputed and neutral lands.

Just Russia alone has had within its borders:
>Slavs
>Norse Rus
>Balts
>Cossacks
>Uralic/Samoyedic peoples
>Mongols
>various other Turkic groups
>Siberians
>Indo-European and Indo-Iranian nomads
Altogether some dozens upon dozens of languages, lifestyles, religions, ect - and that's with an incredibly small population density. Generalities are nice just for world context but to make anything convincing or nuanced your focus has to be much smaller

>that sheer dropoff from the Rockies to the sea below
this map triggers my autism pretty hard

Yea, I mean there could be tons types of each race I guess but then it gets too detailed imo.

I guess the answer is to say the world is small but then it's like why are days/years the same. Which is more unrealistic and jarring?

That DM feel when you spend hours writing histories to your lands for personal reference and know that nobodies going to be very interested, and dont want to just give tons of exposition on every valley they pass in the game

geographically it looks pretty good
visually it's pretty hard to see the text and icons, especially on the mountains, and the jump between land color and water color is a bit painful
i'd try lightening the land a bit and using a water color thats similar to it but darker
lighter colors should let you get away from needing the outlines on text, and making it a little thicker and without small caps would probably be a good idea too

also: smooth that shit nigga, the coasts and rivers look sharp and pixellated as fuck

Most of these are embarrassing.
Please refrain from posting if you don't know what you're doing

Post yours then.

Or help people.

Or leave.

Can't post mine because I make a living out of it.
And yes I think I'll leave

Oh shit I'm so sorry please no we need you you're the best please user I take it all back how will we continue after this loss

I mean the game doesn't have to take place in the "whole world," make it at the convergence of a few trade routes
a) You can put in a bunch of cultures who all use the routes
b) you have innate conflicts over resources and the strategic importance of the place which sets up potential in-game events
c) you keep far-away lands ambiguous and mysterious, with their own legends and myths, keeping the world seeming large and nuanced
d) you can go in a whole lot more detail on the setting

Just like in real life, a bronze age game focused on just the eastern mediteranean would be more interesting than one where you try to cover every single continent somehow

If I made this type of comment, I would literally kill myself

Thanks

Can it be finally posted?

Who's the mastermind behind this?

why does every amateur have to have a fucking coastline crater lake, ugh
erase it then erase yourself

It's me being bored at work

Stfu, crater lakes are fucking awesome. This world requires more of them.

Can you please take requests :(

>Do your adventures really span that far and wide?

Sometimes.

I will typically have a fairly detailed map of a town or city, a sparser map of the surrounding region, a sparser map of the entire country and a very sparse continent/world map.

Consider: Ibn Battuta travelled from Morocco to Beijing and he didn't even know teleport, so yes, travel can happen at those scales.

Especially if you're telling a war story and you want to discuss an alliance with a neutral third country - at this point we already have three countries in play at pure minimum.

>Can it be finally posted?

Good Lord I love your mountain ranges.

>He paid for something, not knowing what he was getting.

A fool and his money are soon separated.

I knew. It's the closed 'beta', so it'd be nice if they added more content. And anyway $25 isn't much so I don't mind supporting them in order to see if they improve. It's still a good tool I just wish they'd add more features.

Because there are crater lakes in real life you fucking mega-brainlet?

Mods are asleep post real life splitting rivers

I can try tomorrow.

Thanks, now I'm trying to create more realistic ones. Protip on drawing mountains - study topographic shaded relief maps. Well, general protip is - study real world maps.

Terraformed Titan?

Thinking about the filename.

Are there any good alternatives to Inkarnate that doesn't require artistic skills and is free/cheap?

I like Inkarnate for "zone" maps like pic related, but for anything larger it's really hard to scale it in a meaningful way.

I like using Gimp because it's free and relatively easy to use/learn. Following the Eriond tutorial I was able to come up with a map like this in ~1 hour. I didn't follow the guide's mountain steps and just used Wilbur to generate a height map after zooming and parceling a 100x100 px section from my world map. It could be better in terms of coloring, but it's not meant for player eyes, I have an atlas style map for them. This map simply serves as eye candy for me.

Bump

You can make a simple map in Photoshop with little artistic ability, presumably gimp can do the same.

Use the cloud method you make coasts, drag them together to form continents. Then everything is layer styles. Maybe I'll make a quick guide using the map I made for user last thread. Quick, clean, geography.

Ok here it is, so basically I traced user's map with the marquee tool bit by bit until it was all selected. New layer, fill the selection. Delete any lakes too.

Set the layer style to have a black stroke.

Create a new layer on top and create a clipping mask, then colour it whatever you want (different regions different colours etc.)

A new layer on top for region borders. I did a dotted line, you can edit a brush to up the spacing and then create a path along the border and then stroke the path.

For the water lines I duplicated the continent layer and moved it to the bottom, filled in lakes, then made the stroke blue and increased the distance. I can't explain without an image how I made it look exactly like that.

Um... Then.. Compass... Yes. And use brushes for mountains and things! And dots for cities.

Anyway, maybe I'll do a little guide later for easy quick maps like this.

every thread until this user comes back from the dead

Triceratops map!

Heres my WIP map. I used a Dwarf Fortress map as a base, and the rest is being made up as I go along.

Whoops, forgot to explain: The scale is 6 miles per hex (so you can travel 4 hexes per day), the faded locations are just copied from the Dwarf Fortress map as reference, and the locations with the Fallout font are just placeholder names. Also, the graphics underneath were made using the "Satellite Map Maker" program for Dwarf Fortress.

>thought he could get away with Knights of Cydonia

>I'm sorry Italy... you will never walk again

posting a quick fuckery from yesterday

t. classes drawer

Antarctica has a fairly high elevation compared to other continents, I think it would still be fairly large compared to the others after a sea level rise.

Nice alphabet.

how do you pronounce Negür? and what kind of people live there?

im looking for modern day military safe houses for inspiration, something suburban thats innocent on the outside and fortified inside, if anybody has a map for that i would appreciate it

glagolitic is always the best choice

working on my own axis and allies inspired LOTR map to play with friends. this is version 2

>the more work in a project you get done, the more of a pain in the ass the remaining work is

I think i'm pretty close to final borders for administrative regions now, but I'm having a fuck of a time figuring out how labeling them is going to work

please elucidate your opinion which looks better here, the large text in a corner or the smaller labels on the borders or suggest something better, because both of these seem pretty bad

I'm not really much of a world builder, but I finally sat down the other day and scanned and cleaned a couple of old sketches I made just to give my players a visual idea of the world.

One of these days I might get more into the nitty gritty of naming all the islands, seas, etc. but for the time being it hasn't been necessary in my campaigns.

>still any of the South left

Gross. Well at least Arkansas is gone. 2/10