I want to roleplay the most knightly Knight who ever took a knightly oath

I want to roleplay the most knightly Knight who ever took a knightly oath.

What books should I read to get the mannerisms, vocabulary, and thought-patterns of a Knight down?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightInShiningArmor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

King Arthur Cycle
Song of Roland
Don Quixote
William Marshall biography

Through the Looking Glass had a knight show up for a chapter, maybe give that a quick glance?

Thematically, one of my favorite knight-isms is the idealist concept. They were the superheroes and spacemen of their time, the aspirations of lowly children everywhere. They were devoted, gallant, and men among men. The idea of being a knight set the bar so high that actual knights sometimes feel inadequate to their title in a lot of fiction.

To simply read of Knights to attempt to be one will do naught but make you a poor parody at best.

No, the only true way to acquire the likeness of a Knight is to become one yourself.

Take a vow to God and Sovereign, mount upon your trusty steed, and sally out unto the land to vanquish evil and assist the smallfolk in whatever way you can.

I would recommend Arthur Conan Doyles knight novels, The white company and Sir Nigel.

Obligatory forcing Eggman of literature.

Parzival is the longest epic of the era, written right around 1200

William Marshal: The Flower of Chivalry

If you want to play a historically realistic Knight: A Song of Fire and Ice

Canterbury Tale
Ivanhoe
Nibelungenlied
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Anomen and The Order of the Most Radiant Heart from BG2

Play a Paladin
Remove supernatural abilities
You have a knight. Congratulations.

>historically realistic
>A Song of Fire and Ice

More realistic than the King Arthur propaganda shits

This + the Pendragon rpg would be my suggestions for a "chivalric" knight.

Any of a thousand books on life in the Middle Ages would be my suggestion for something more realistic

Sir Gawain and the green knight and the song of roland.

>From Boys to Men
Specifically the parts concerning knighthood. However, the whole book is a great resource for a historically accurate setting.

The best book I've ever read featuring knights as the main characters was the Elenium by David Eddings, the first book is Diamond Throne. It is about a band of holy knights gathering together to save the world. Also the Stormlight Archive has Dalinar who is a boss ass knight bro

I kinda loved the entire A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms thing, but I read the graphic novels, it nails the entire jousting part of it and perhaps casual involvement in politics

Watch "A Knight's Tale" Its not very accurate, but it needs to be watched.

But OP specifically said
>the most knightly Knight who ever took a knightly oath.
If he wanted to be a grimdark edgelord of ultimate evil, he could just be a nihilistic murder hobo and whine about muh troubled past and muh subjective morality before doing the whole world a favor by jumping off a bridge.

Fortunately OP seems to want something more out of life.
To which I say, "Godspeed most noble knight! May your heart remain ever steadfast and pure in the face of temptation that you may rise above this dank pool of base corruption to stand among the righteous, for honor and glory! Know that it is a difficult path you now follow, and many lesser men succumb to lust, greed and avarice. But as long as you keep your heart humble, and your eyes ever upward toward the radiant heavens, you too can accomplish impossible feats in the name of truth, justice and compassion. May Helm guide your path." DEUS VULT!

>"A Knight's Tale"
>Not very accurate
You mean to say it's not a historical documentary? Quit talking out your ass user.

>Anomen
>Not Keldorn
Dude.

Read this and nothing else. Unlike most of the other stuff posted in this thread, which is shit, this isn't shit written by somebody writing about a Knight, or somebody writing about what being a knight was like, or translating a biography written by somebody else. This is a poetic ballad written by an actual German Knight in his vernacular. The English title is "In the Service of Ladies". It is basically a sad romcom story of a protagonist who gives it his all only to be consistently rejected despite his increasingly absurd quests (and is partly an autobiography of the author's antics to boot).

This goes up to an includes of the Knight dressing up in drag, pretending to be Queen Venus, and jousting across the Holy Roman Empire in a dress and white veil (which probably did happen).

HRE Knights aren't Knights as much as they're "Down-on-their-luck nobles trying to get back to the top of society"

Wat.

He literally held the title of Knight. There is nothing else.

He was also a fuckboi trying to make money.

OP doesn't care about the short-sticks of noble families trying to get a leg up, he's obviously here for Knights of the Round Table.

Ulrich was a well off knight who won immense fame, glory, and wealth. He wasn't poor and was actually married throughout his quest to earn the love of his Lady (you need to understand how love works in the middle ages to get it).

Secondly the Knights of the Round Table are fantasy and do not exist. They do not offer you an insight in to how knights thought, acted, or spoke, because their literature is entirely fantastical. Unless you are reading the original stories themselves by Chretien de Troyes, you might as well not even bother.

Why the fuck would a transvestite "Knight" be reflective of the majority of the class?

Because what you think Knights are is completely different from what they were in history?

skip all the gay historical shit and just jump right into the best fantasy knights

Barbera Tuchman’s “A Distant Mirror”is excellent. It follows the life of a French noble family through the 100 years war, and gets around to expalin a lot about the medieval world, and the many changes that happend at the end of it.

It should be noted that while Ulrich writes a very good story, his biography follows the traditions of chivalric romances to a T. In it’s whole it is impossible to verify, and while it gives an insight into the mind of the medieval world it should ot be taken without a grain of salt.

spoiler, true paladins of virtue were/are extremely rare and the appeal of knights is the legend to live up to, not the reality of its inheritors.

>It should be noted that while Ulrich writes a very good story, his biography follows the traditions of chivalric romances to a T. In it’s whole it is impossible to verify, and while it gives an insight into the mind of the medieval world it should ot be taken without a grain of salt.
Having read of some other shit that happened back in the day, "Knight goes on jousting tournament dressed as Greek Goddess" is not nearly the most batshit thing that happened.

Also just to explain how love functions to the medieval mind, Love and Sex are not the same thing. The romantic chivalric quest to earn a Lady's love was often not adultery, but simply a goal to set for one's own betterment, and a desire to win the adoration of a woman seen as being literally superior in birthright.

Thou shalt read The Belgariad and behold the most knightly knight who ever took a knightly oath, Sir Mandorallen.

>What books should I read to get the mannerisms, vocabulary, and thought-patterns of a Knight down?

actual historical knights, who were coarse, violent, but sometimes just and noble? read the song of dermot and the earl, a contemporary account to the norman invasion of ireland

romanticized knights striving for the chivalric ideal? read some of the early french arthurian romances like yvain, or later chivalric romances like gawain and the green knight

wouldnt the most knightly knight be like an actual knight and not a caricature?

courtly love has nothing to do with knights

Amadis de Gaula saga, the original genre fiction crap for nerds.

quality gif there

also a knights tale is a fantastic movie

Knights have nothing to do with knights either.

A Knight's Own Book of Chivalry, by Geoffroi de Charny. It goes into detail about how a knight ought to conduct himself and how to win glory and honour, and though repetitive, is a good reference.

How to instantly tell somebody has never read ASOIAF: The Post

Sweet jesus what the fuck are they wearing?

“To better myself I gotta cuck my superior”

Don't be a jackass. Nothing in that picture is particularly out of the ordinary by the standards of tournaments.

It is pretty true when you consider it.

Women for the most part fuck along the power hierarchy, if you are fucking your superiors wife then you are higher in the power hierarchy than your superior.

Oh shit, do find some readings on Zawisza the Black.
Nigga was basically comic superhero celebrity of his times.
Once he got captured by turks afaik, those fuckers killed themselves over who would be the one turning him in because he was that famous.

> Being a man of importance, he was personally sent for by king Sigismund. He allegedly refused to retreat saying: "There is no boat big enough to lift my honor" disheartened by the king's apparent cowardice
>there is no boat big enough to lift my honor

All I can think of is that damn Oglaf comic

You're implying that women are the gatekeeper's to a man's social power.

You got that backwards. Women don't give men social status by sleeping with them, men WITH social status already can get women to sleep with them.

and what exactly is so farfetched about a young man aspiring for an "unrealistic" lofty ideal of virtue and honor? ergo If you've only got one life to live in service of God, why not set the bar for yourself as high as possible? Sure you'll never reach it, but by earnestly striving for it your entire life, you'll forever be blameless among your peers.

I'm so sick of muh gritty realism and anti-heroes I could vomit.
>B-but ackshully real knights were hypocritical scumbags who burned villages and raped peasants.
Well so what? I'm not trying to be a historical figure, I'm trying to find a character model to help me live a better life. And if I can't find it in reality, then I'll find it in fiction. I'm not gonna muck about and moan about how life isn't fair and being virtuous is too hard just because everyone else is. I'm gonna strive for the ideal and at least attempt to be something greater than myself, because I already know where the other path leads.

No I haven't. The tv show was so vulgar and bitter that I couldn't relate to anyone but Sean Bean. At this point, the only thing that could redeem that setting is a global flood.

>I couldn't relate to anyone but Sean Bean.

That’s not a good thing and you should probably take a good long look at yourself famalam

100% on Don Quixote. It's a silly book but it's written as a love letter to chivalry stories. It's a parody but not an imitation, and I would 100% recommend you skim a few chapters. Pure chivalry is inherently a little absurd compared to normal morals and the book likes to shed a lot of light on how everyone else looks that that impossible old man.

He just needs to watch the musical and he’ll get the gist of it.

>No I haven't. The tv show was so vulgar and bitter that I couldn't relate to anyone but Sean Bean. At this point, the only thing that could redeem that setting is a global flood.

The tv-show is strictly inferior to the book version. They cut out a bunch of interesting stuff and made everything else extra grimderp and "mature".

care to elaborate?
desu I don't remember much about him except that he wasn't a murderer or a lecher like everyone else. As far as I could tell, the only bad thing he did was compromise his values, resulting in him dying as a traitor instead of a martyr.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightInShiningArmor

Impossible Dream is the only good part of that thing

If you want to catch up on the bloke most of his contemporaries wanted to seriously nerf: read Thomas Asbridge's The Greatest Knight. It's the story of William Marshal, the hardest knight who ever knighted.

If you want the Chivalric Romance version, someone has mentioned Ulrich von Lichtenstein. It's an ace tale.

Not tvtropes, man, come on

Fucking solid read that is

Poor Ellaria

Damn that was an awesome game. Even after all these years, my hatred for the bog monster is there still.

Read Superman comics

You are thinking with a 21st century dudebro mindset, not that of a Knight