Ok Veeky Forums break it down for me, how much would I need to spend in order to get into 40k...

Ok Veeky Forums break it down for me, how much would I need to spend in order to get into 40k? How big of an army will I need, how many of which units, and are Orks good for a beginner?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/foQj8PDNF9w
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People who put lipstick on their Orkz need to be shot.

>$300
>build in 500 point increments or so
>start with a “Start Collecting!” Box and go from there
>orks are fine except they have a vey high model count, which means expensive + more painting than average. They were my first army and I’m still here 8 years later.

>he doesn't make his boyz look as zoggin' fabulous as possible to confuse and intimidate opposing players

$50 to 100 on hobby supplies if you want your minis to look any good
$200 to 300 for small-sized games
$1000 to 2000 for proper army

>Don't give Orks high contrast lip tones or I will be shot

Ok, a good start

I'm also wondering what's a good combination of troops and exactly what I'll need to start playing. Keep in mind I'm a complete dumbass/beginner

ork player here, are you looking to play casually with friends?

Ok, so I've gone and ordered the Orky Start Collecting box and some Burna Boyz. Why do I get the feeling that I've started down a dark road?

I was hoping to find a local group and play casuals until I get half decent at it.

>buy the primaris half of the dark imperium box set
>buy an easy to build redemptor dreadnought
1000 pt army with easy to assemble/paint models.

Honestly, it depends on your situation. For instance, I was paid $20 to take in about 4,000 points worth of Orks so I only had to really worry about paint/brushes.

If you want to be competitive you're going to want to make a list first and then build into it. Try your local FB groups to see if anyone is selling Orks and scavenge from people that are leaving the hobby.

The good news for Orks is that 90% of their competitive lists are Boyz and Weirdnobs, so collecting will be decent as everyone has too many boyz and will prob sell. The bad news is that last 10% of competitive stuff is Forgeworld and will cost an arm and a leg.

I would say to budget around $1,000 to get into 40k with a 2k point list. Of course, this can either go up or down depending on where you buy from so do your research.

Oh, and cost is about $100 for the models. You’ll need to get hobby tools and paint as well.

Yellow and white checkerboard on everything you say?

What if I just wanted to play for fun?

What are some good Orks for that? I'm honestly more into dumb bullshit than being competitive.

I suggest you take your time with painting and buy as you go because Orks are getting their own codex hopefully before the halfway mark of the year. Also try to get a china mans email this will save you on cost for larger models by alot but people are very very...very reluctant to give a email away so good luck with that but dosent hurt to try. Have fun !

This may sound like heresy, but you could use those cheap bins of plastic WW2 GIs as stand-ins for imperial guardsmen. The cheapest army possible.

Oh great, now there's a black market run by a Chinese guy. I just wanted to play tabletop, I didn't sign up for human trafficking.

I think I've got a couple bins of them out in the old storehouse, but I'm pretty sure it's filled with copperheads this time of year.

the start collecting packs are a good place to start. orks are a fun army but suffering from the new 8ed rules atm do to not having a codex yet.

If there's no codex what the fuck did I just order from Amazon?

How does one find a chinaman’s email? And maybe a catalog of his wares?

The old edition codex, completely unusable this edition.

In general, Orks are a pretty "for fun" faction to play in general. A lot of their options are more flavourful than competitive.

If you want to go fast you can spam biker boys+stormboyz and just run around the map laughing at other melee forces as they try to catch you.

If you like big meks you can make a list based around walkers like Killa Kans and Deff Dreads with a Stompa mixed in. Watch as a single bad save roll for SM results in Girlyman getting 1-shot by a Dread Klaw.

If you like dakka (everyone likes dakka) you can spam the FUCK out of shoota boyz and lootaz. Throw a few planes in there to increase the dakka and laugh as you turn Tau into bullet boyz.

Theres a bunch of cool things you can do with Orks. I would pick a style tho and commit fully to it. Otherwise you're stuck with middling amounts of several different styles and Orks suck if they don't commit fully.

Well fuck me running time to cancel that order, unless it's actually a nice book to have for the art and lore, is it?

I'm thinking DAKKA, how do the Burna Boyz fit in to that build? I bought some, so I might as well use em.

>>start with a “Start Collecting!” Box and go from there
Also a newfag, but building a space marine army (Probably Black Templars). Would it be better for me to start off with one of these start collecting packs or go for one of the bigger start sets?

First up, I would cancel the order and just download the PDF on /40kg/ to look at pictures/lore. There's no use paying for a book that has no use anymore.

As for the Burna Boyz I have some bad news. Ork flamers are pretty shit compared to other factions as they have half the strength for the same price. Not saying that they're super terrible but be aware that they arnt the greatest.

If I were to tell you what to be on the lookout for I would say 1)shoota boyz, as they're the #1 spammy dakka in the game. 2)Lootaz, as they're hilarious with d3 shots each. 3)Mek guns/Planes as you're going to want some heavy hitting in your army that isn't boyz.

So I want to run almost exclusively shootaz lootaz and a handful of Mek/planes. I was hoping for a bit more variety but I can always do small detail work to make them look a bit more distinct.

>Dakka
Orks are good if you want to roll a lot of dice, but not if you expect to actually kill much with shooting.

Be prepared to hit on a 6 or 7+ a lot of the time

I also want to get into this and these guys look really fucking cool. Don't know what I should order though. It would be nice if they came out with a get started box for them.

What if I shoot a lot all at once?

You'll roll a lot of dice to hit, and roll a small number of dice to wound.

There is one

Fuck me the custodes look great. I'm stupid and want to build an army of SM after the Orks and I'm leaning towards either the Salamander, Wolves or the Custodes.

id say r/yohammer reddit forum to start. Thats where I found mine. But read the rules before your banned they dont like anyone asking for the email so its a bitch to get but worth if you do.

If your new new I would suggest going to 1d4chan to warhammer 40k section to 8th edition tactics- to orks. Alot of people will meme that they give bad advice but its probably the best source of gameplay information for your army and to see what units are bad good and cheese. From what I see tho orks main viable build is mass ork boys thats why I suggest starting slow because most likely the new codex will change things up a lot.

I picked up the starter box and I'm floating through local posting, one guy wants £1900 for his Ork bikes, I might have to make a day trip this weekend to grab some 2nd hand models. Hopefully I'll be able to build something to play with by the time the codex comes out.

Are you newfag in painting, also? If so, dont do BT. Black and white are hardest colours to paint properly and just slapping black and white paint on the model wont cut it.

Pic related, you are going to have bad time doing this on your first model ever.

It doesn’t matter.

If you're just playing for fun, you may wanna check out cardstock figures.
Not as cool as 3D, but it works for gaming and is a fraction of the cost.

youtu.be/foQj8PDNF9w

at least its painted, fagget

Probably at a minimum $150 AUD, look for second hand models, ebay, gumtree, etc are your friends. I've only bought a handfull of things from GW direct and i've got hundreds of models.

Been a few years since I painted anything (my Noise Marines had guitars) but that looks like your bog standard base, wash 'n' drybrush job to me. Any advances in painting small mans I should be aware of?

OP, as you've doubtless already experienced in this thread, you really need to think about your purchases for 40K.
Orks are a very beginner-friendly army, but that's mostly because their one powerful strategy is utterly braindead to execute: Buy 1 billion ork boyz, 1 waaagh banner, 1 painboy, 1 ghazghkull, and 1 weirdboy. Buff everything and charge.
The problem with this is that it's not going to be a very fun introduction to the game, as you'll have to paint over a hundred ork boyz, and every game is "swarm the enemy with enough attacks to kill anything and too many bodies to kill". Any ork list other than this is dogshit this edition. However, the codex is somewhere on the horizon, and I personally love every aspect of kustomizing and konverting ork armies, so I'm not going to tell you to not play them, they're just an army you really need to think about fun and money vs power, and your army in general will always struggle against some things the faction can't fight (flyers being one)

There currently is no ork codex, if you want the rules legally you'll need index: Xenos 2. We're six months into a new edition, and gw is taking their sweet time updating many armies properly.
As a rule of thumb, if you can't buy it directly from GW or Forgeworld, research it to make sure it's still usable this edition. There are dozens of old ork units and 6 old ork codices which are utterly useless this edition other than as elaborate proxies or conversion material.
Read up the 1d4chan tactica for orks (8th edition). The website hasn't been updated for the most part since 2009 and the culture is still stuck very much in that time period, but the tactica are updated every other week, so you'll always find somewhat relevant information there. There's nothing worse than buying a cool looking unit and discovering it physically hurts you to field it, or that its rules are completely different to how you'd expect them to be.

With that Burna Boy box you are able to use some of the regular Ork Boyz to make the rest of the Lootas that are also in the box. Additionally picking up a couple boxes of the Battle for Vedros will net you a bunch of orks for around 50 burger bucks.

You're never really going to go wrong with "shitloads of generic boyz" though. Easy enough to give them clan markings and new shootaz as needed.

Ork main here. I'd say they're good for beginners but you need to know up front that you're gonna be spending a lot to flesh out the horde, and you're not going to win very often until our full army book comes out. As has been mentioned, a huge swarm of Boyz (90 models before characters) is basically the only viable strategy right now.

Additionally, by GW's own admission, you will most likely lose the first 40 games of 40k you play regardless.

All that being said, I will forever love my Orks from the bottom of my heart. They are incredibly charming Muppets in a world of dour seriousness and edgy off-brand satanism. If you liked Lego a lot as a kid Orks are most definitely for you. Take the time to enjoy both the building and painting of all your little green monsters because there is enough variability to use bits and pieces from all sorts of model kits to make every one of your Boys unique.

Start with a swarm of Boyz and a boss or two. You can custom build your own characters like meks and weirdboys from the Nobz kit if you'd like, because most of the characters are currently outdated resin models.

Remember that Orks is the biggest and the bestest no matter what anyone says and have fun.

That's not much of an admission, mind. If that wasn't the case everyone would just toss a coin and then fuck off to the pub early.

>There currently is no ork codex, if you want the rules legally you'll need index: Xenos 2. somewhat relevant information there.
Just a heads up, there are likely to be some fairly significant changes from the index when they release the codex. Take Nids for example:
>Synapse range increased 50% for morale effect, tripled for Instinctive Behavior, which itself was drastically changed
>Shadow in the warp range more than doubled
>Doubled number of psychic powers
>Old One Eye point value from 140 to 200
Pretty much all buffs

So I'm gonna need about 100 units total for my army? Ok, so until the Ork book comes out I'm basically going to be zerg rushing with the Boyz and sending in one or two characters for big pushes. Any recommendations for characters? I'm going to assume they'll be the centerpieces of the army along with meks and bommas

Also I have it from a very reliable source that, in regards to Orks, the 40 game rule isn't true, because Orks neva lose.

custodes are not SM

90 boys is the starting point.

>Humans made super-soldiers through the god-emperor's genetic enhancement programs
>power armour
>terminator armour
>Boltguns
>Rhinos
>land raiders
>Bikes
They may not be "Adeptus astartes", but they're space marines.

ERE WE GO ERE WE GO

>meks and bommas
BAD, BAD user *hits with newspaper*

Big Meks with Kustom force fields are usable, if you're running some elite squads, or your command blob of characters are all together, but they're only really worth taking if there are also nearby vehicles to repair. No other big mek build is viable, and regular meks are useless.
All ork flyers are still poor, the bommers are terribad unless your opponent is running massed high toughness high invuln low wounds models, to justify mortal wounds on large squads. Dakkajets are usable for a noncompetitive army, but meh overall, and the mek flyer is very situational, depending on build, but tellyporting your opponent's repulsor never gets old, so I'd reccomend.
Best characters are the WAAAGH! banner nob (sexxy model too), Ghazghkull Thrakka, the painboy (you now have one, with the SC), and the biker warboss (FW's zhadsnark is very usable here, but his "make bikers troops" ability can be safely ignored as bikers are just more expensive boys)
As long as you're looking to have fun, you can indeed ensure that you will never lose, I'm just trying to ensure you don't get tabled turn 1, which has nearly happened to me at points.

90 boys, a warboss, and a weirdboy is where you start. That's about 750 points and is 92 models (this is an absurd model count army). Big Meks are good if you take a Kustom Force Field because it gives you a 5+ save when you usually get none. Bommas are not in a good position right now unless you take them in a 3-plane squadron. Basically everything orky needs to be taken in multiples if you want it to be effective. This is both part of the point of Orks and a huge pain in the ass. As far as units beyond Boyz that I've found success with, Tankbustas are basically our only reliable anti-tank (makes sense), and a full squad of Lootas will work miracles when you least expect it. Tankbustas are best taken along with trukks to transport them, lootas have to set up somewhere with a good sightlines and sit right there the whole game.

You are correct, by the way, orkses never lose.

YouTube Warhammer starting guides.

Edge higlighting. When painting marines, edge highlights all the way.

Thats everything there is in that DP. Didnt drybrush anything as it would look like shit on those large, flat and black parts.

Ah yeah, zoomed right in I see it's a bit too thick and even. Looks a bit weeby mind, not sure I wouldn't go for a precision drybrush myself. No wash on the metallics though? That always looked like complete arse if you ever skipped it. Again zoomed in, your aquila badly needs one.

Buy a paint set from Vallejo.
Get some walmart tier brushes.
Get some krylon plastic primer
Get some guerrilla glue
Get an exact knife and a wire clipper
Thats about 50 dollars.

You now basically have everything you need. You just expand from there.
Once your comfortable buy some better brushes. Don't buy gw brushes though. Only buy their washes and technical paints. And the colors that your unable to mix.

Still-in-box 2000 points worth of models, maybe 250, paints and tools, 50 and that's being generous.

Talk to people at your lgs/gaming club, bought nearly 3000 points worth of death guard for $150 cuz someone was trying to get out of the game

>Orks are good if you want to roll a lot of dice, but not if you expect to actually kill much with shooting.
If you can get a full mob of shoota boyz, you're gonna have 29-30 models carrying 18" Assault 2 weapons. That's 58-60 shoots from ONE mob alone.

Statistically you're going to hit something if you're throwing that much dakka down-field.
t. Ork Freeboota who's had surprising success using Space Marines for target practice with Shootas

You have the Start Collecting box. Cool. Get some glue and paints, and don't buy more shit until you're completed some minis and are sure you like that part of the hobby.

If you're still in, the next thing you need is boyz. 60 to 90 of them will make the backbone of your army. HOLY FUCK THAT'S A LOT OF MINIS. Welcome to the WAAAAGH. I strongly urge you to check eBay for secondhand orks. You can get screaming-good deals, and especially with boyz, you're gonna need so many of them you won't care much if some of them aren't assembled in the exact pose you like.

At that point, the codex will hopefully have finally dropped (after GW introduces two or three brand new flavors of spessmahreen). You'll have a better picture of where to put your efforts.

If you can find it in retail the "Ork Raiders build and paint" box is a good deal. Warboss, 5 monopose nobz, and a deffkopta for funsies, for $35 or so. Good deal for useful units.

Orks are not good for a beginner.

>you need to buy a fuckload of them
>you need to paint a fuckload of them
>they are an assault army, which requires more skill than a shooting army

the trick is to ignore 40k's rules system completely and only buy what miniatures you like esthetically. You can then create your own rules system with whatever minis you've got.
Investing in rulebooks is the most retarded thing any person can do. The system is utterly unbalanced (most recent codex wins) and is completely recycled every four years into a completely new rules system.

40k is a big scam, really.

Alright OP you want to be a horde? Get ready cause here is how you horde.
>buy SC and painting stuff
Was that fun? It fucking better be because you are not going to like the next few steps
>paint the ork boyz
>buy more ork boyz
>paint those boyz
>when you reach 30 boys painted paint ONE OTHER MODEL THAT ISN'T A BOY
>THIS IS YOUR VACATION HAVE FUN WITH IT
>when done buy more boyz and paint them
>repeat til either your motivation dies or you are sitting on 150 boyz
>if you survived this process, oat yourself on the back
Make sure to keep to the ONE MODEL RULE as you need to get into the trenches and get the boyz done. Do not buy anything else unless you run out of vacation models which you only buy one at a time. It cuts down on the coveting the nicer cooler models.
That is how I have my nid army. Gaunts were my main jam to the point the GW guy asked if something was wrong and always tried selling me a hive titan. His face was in awe when I rolled out 80 guants fully painted for my 2nd match with another 40 in reserve. Shit was cash and those 120 gaunts have been with me ever since.
Now excuse me while I do my daily genestealer routine.

>Are you newfag in painting, also?
I mean. Sort of.

I've painted a few 3D printed test models in Imperial Fists colors and they didn't look awful all things considering. I understand most of the basics in theory, so is this an issue of people new to painting just slapping stark black and white on it not knowing any better, or is it particularly difficult to work with in and of itself?

If you buy too much stuff at once then painting it seems like an insurmountable task. Start with a small force, paint it, play it, and then decide what you want to get next. Repeat until you have an army. It's better to start slow and build up slow to avoid burnout.

Gonna quickly hijack this thread if its about orks.

Stopped playing since midway 7th (to play aos... sue me)

However ive been wanting to come back with orks. Should i wait for their codex? I played orks with as little horde as possible (mek madman here) so i got killacans, deffdreads, 2 dakkajets, 1 blitza bomber and some elites (nobs, flamers, tankbustas) and my pride and joy... 30 bikers

Can i play a fun army with this that wont get destroyed the moment someone competent breaths in my general direction?

A pretty-common 2000pt army will cost you at least $500 IF you know what you're doing. Odds are you'll need to buy different units as you gain experience and it will get much more expensive.

Dont count on getting good preowned deals. Many people will overvalue their models, thibking their shitty paint job makes it worth MSRP or even higher. Also it can be difficult to find non-marine preowned units. I think its just because there are lots of kids who buy them and then abandon the hobby.

Once I won an ebay auction for a full tyranid army at about 60% msrp. I was so stoked. But then thr seller was like "sorry i forgot to put a reserve on it" and cancelled the auction, refunded my money, and dissapeared from ebay.

>So I'm gonna need about 100 units ...
100 models. Models.
units are usually made up of between 5 - 30 models.

It honestly depends on where you buy. Don't buy from GW direct unless you HAVE TO.

I have more time than I have money and therefore I like to use ebay. Look for stuff new on sprues (some people sell units from box sets individually, so they can be cheaper). If you want discounts, sometimes you have to hunt for them, but some people sell stuff way undercosted and thems the golden nuggets boay.

The start collecting box sets are pretty good value. You get a unit of troops (mostly) an HQ choice and a big fun thing for less than you would pay otherwise.

If not ebay, then a lot of Local game stores or online third party retailers can have discounts of up to 20%. Spend half an hour doing some research.

Don't pay for a Codex unless you REALLY want to. Codex and rules in the Mega in the 40k general

Don't be fooled by GW's hobby products. Go to your local hardware store for a knife, clippers and a couple of files. It'll run you a LOT cheaper.

Paints and brushes. GW make some good paints, but like everything else, you pay for them. Again, you can find these discounted.

Vallejo, Army Painter and P3 make a wide range of cheaper paints and there is a colour chart where you can see what paints in each range match with paints from other ranges.

Army Painter make some good, cheap brushes.

dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Orks are fun to paint. Their details (Muscles, teeth and so on are big and exaggerated so therefore easier to paint. The vehicles are supposed to be ramshackle, so easier to cover up mistakes in construction and painting.

There's loads of painting tutorials online, which can really help you learn. Warhammer TV Duncan and Peachy do good tutorials, often aimed at beginners. There are others.

Also, /WIP/ is mostly the most wholesome thread on 4chin. Someone will usually try to help you.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck!

Dread Mob is the other mildly useful Ork list. Get more Tankbustas from somewhere as they're good.

Bikes got nerfed.

Best advice is wait for the codex. Point values will change, so what's useful will too.

>60 shots
>20 hits if you've not advanced and you don't have -1 to hit
>10 hits if you advanced to get into charge range or have -1 to hit
>0 hits if you advanced and have -1 to hit

10-20 hits only really equates to 1-3 dead MEQ, which isn't great for 180 points of boyz

Pro Tip: The Pros are a horrible place to be.

Stay casual, Play for Fun. The Orks are a really good army for fun.