A type III civilization from the biggest supervoid in the universe comes to Earth and the Milky Way to harvest more...

A type III civilization from the biggest supervoid in the universe comes to Earth and the Milky Way to harvest more star power, we have the choice to surrender or fight against their forces, what would your character do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fAnP2ck-7o4
stardate.org/sites/default/files/images/gallery/barnard_68.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why would they want our star?

It's puny, and there's millions of of larger and more luminous ones just laying about.

Are they just dicks?

He'd jump into space, and bite one of the ships so hard it split in two. Then his buddy would reel him back in with a teleport, rinse and repeat.

If they were intent on it probably not much beyond die.

The only long term hope in such an event is to try and live on the skin of the Type III's or move somewhere they aren't interested in.

>Type III
>asking natives for consent
Are they tree hugger hippies?

You probably didnt even figure out its something sentient or just force of nature so unhuman and unpredictable it can be. Like Wall of darkness that turns off all light and energy slowly creeping toward solar system.

>what would your character do?
Fuck off to a more promising timeline. What the fuck else can you do?

Those fucking Therians and their Dyson Galaxy.

First of all, why would they be coming here of all places? Would it not make more sense to go somewhere where stars are more densely packed and have greater energy outputs?

Second of all: I would not really actually worry about any of this. A civilization capable of literally harvesting stars is going to be, without any doubt, working on an ENTIRELY different timescale than we do. Most likely, their activity won't even start impacting us before we manage to kill ourselves by accident or something.

he wouldn't be able to identify anything as "ship". it's an f-ing type III, get your shit together.

Greater wish.

The wish representative on duty identifies the conflict of interest and refuses to grant it.

Actually no. Our star is in the big, but not biggest, and hot side compared to other stars. Had it been a little big larger, Earth would have had become increasingly barren before our arrival.

Integrate.

I'm retarded- can someone tell me what the supervoid even is? Do we even know?

Sol is actually in the top 10% of known stars in terms of size and heat. Remember that most stars in the Galaxy (or any galaxy) are red dwarfs.

Having said that, you're not wrong that there's plenty of alternatives lying around. A Type III civilization isn't interested in *our* start specifically so much as they've moved on to harnessing the Milky Way and our star, being in the Milky Way, is on the menu.

>Surrender or fight

None of my characters - Hell, none of the settings I've played in - are in a position where they can actually fight a Type III civilization. Surrender is the only real option, since then you get to become part of a kickass Type III civilization.

There is no "fighting". There is "oh, the natives are being kind of ornery. Just blow up their damn sun, it's not like we need it and it'll be easier in the long run."

It's a region that has no discernible stars. It's caused by the fact that while the Universe is expanding from a common point of origin, it's not expanding at a uniform pace due to the vagaries of the various universal forces like gravity (actually mostly gravity). Some parts are moving away faster than others, so some parts "race ahead" and you get voids where there was stuff but now there isn't because everything's moved out of it. They're increasingly common the closer you get to the point of origin of the Big Bang; really the Universe should basically look light a doughnut if somehow viewed from the "outside", with a massive void in its center since by now everything's expanded away from it.

In any event, it's nothing sinister.

Blowing up the sun is so... final. Why not just inhibit nuclear activity for a cycle or two?

No. Just, no. You see, in any decent scifi show that last line would be the last line of an episode, where after it pans to the void and right before it cuts to credits there's an energy pulse of a faint light or something.

You're gonna get us killed thanks to narrative causality.

I mean, the Type III really should just be able to scoop up the sun without a fuss, but blowing it up does send a rather pointed message to anyone else that might want to fuck with them.

Fine.
Greater-Greater Wish

>you get voids where there was stuff but now there isn't
So it's space cavitation? There's nothing in there?
>it's nothing sinister
Sure thing, voidman.

A type iii civilization would be so powerful that we probably wouldn't comprehend the nature of the attack. They would barely consider us worthy of notice (and any other intelligent life in the galaxy).

There would be no opportunity to surrender, and no way to fight. It would just HAPPEN.

Honestly at that power level the fineness of their perception (not just magnitude, but "minitude") and the advance of their IT would probably be enough that they'd probably just archive the Galaxy's intelligent life and maybe run it in a simulation on some server. Not really out of mercy but because they have the spare resources so why not save the data just in case they someday need it?

Like I said, we'd probably have no idea what they did until they did it, if even then.

Didn't we just have a thread about this like last week?

We're not even in a position to put up meaningful resistance against a Type I civilization. A Type III are basically gods, for all the difference it makes to us.

Those same decent sci-fi shows would have humanity triumphing, though. Perhaps I wanted to invoke narrative causality.

Of course, by discussing that humanity would win now the show is obligated to have humanity lose, just to keep things interesting and play with expectations.

OF COURSE, now that we've discussed that humanity should lose so as to play with expectations, it is now expected that humanity will lose. So now the show writers are going to bring in time travel or parallel universes. Or both.

Long story short no one actually planned anything through despite what they implied and the ending is going to be really vague and weird in an effort to seem deep.

At type iii, I doubt we'd be able to do anything they would even notice or recognize as hostile. In terms of scale, it would be like one bacteria, on its own without the ability to reproduce, taking on America.

The wish representative calls his manager in. The manager informs you that he regrets having to deny your wish, and hopes this won't negatively effect your opinion of the company. He offers you a Chili's giftcard.

Sounds about right. But everyone might die, before they get brought back because of ratings!

There'll also be like a 6 month or 1 year timeskip between what previously happened at the end of the last season and the start of this one, and no one will really talk about what happened for the first 3 episodes and one character who was super-important will be missing and the fans will be left wondering if they're dead.

But ultimately they'll be brought back and everything will go back to normal for the show because STATUS QUO IS GOD.

youtube.com/watch?v=fAnP2ck-7o4

Isn't everything based on the Kardashev scale basically hypothetical wankery, and we don't have any reasonable benchmark on what a Type I/II/III civilization could REALLY do?

I had access to Miracle once, divine retribution or even Wish could help. But barring literal godly intervention i think its written in the stars at this point

And here come the fun police, ruining everything, as usual.

Bare minimum a Type III civilization, if it exists, is going to have so many resources and numbers at its disposal that even if it's just invading with slower-than-light generation starships and they're all armed with bullets and missiles and nukes that are technically well within our capabilities, it's still going to have SO MANY OF THEM that humanity can't fight in any meaningful way anyway.

My characters can use their abilities creatively, so a type III civilization would be no match for them. Blowing up stars is low-level shit.

You presume that whoever's coming doesn't have gods of their own.

I think Ka Anor will eat your god.

>No, prestidigitation can't do that.

Who do you think was actually the one performing the miracle?

What if they were cool? What if they gave us a dyson sphere and a robot butler? What if they got ships the size of planets with holodecks and bumper pool?

Couldn't a Type III effectively build a dyson sphere around our sun that perfectly maintains a tiny 'window' synced in advance of Earth's orbit such that we experience no change in the solar energy we receive?

Easily.

Ask where the immigration office is.

choice is an illusion

That is not a supervoid
that is a dust cloud

How much is on the Chili's giftcard?

gun em down

It's a Giant Molecular Cloud called Barnard 68 (pic related) we can see through it in the infrared spectrum, but not the visible, so it looks like there's nothing there.

this user is talking out of his ass or high, or both.

source: i'm an astrophysics student

pic won't upload, but here is a link to it:

stardate.org/sites/default/files/images/gallery/barnard_68.png

At the levels we are talking a type II civilization and beyond can be considered a giant superorganism with its individuals(if there are any to speak of) being just a part of the inherent living system that conforms the civilization.

You would have an inmune system, in case it croses with another type III civilization or one part of the type III goes rogue, an ingestor for resources, a decider for choosing paths, storage for matter and information... in this sense I see two posibilities.

>We get wiped out through the inmune system if they ever consider Earth an annyance to their processes
>We get ingested entirely as a civilization.

The first one is no fun, just means that the supeorganism uses his giant fingers to push humanity away, using energy to desorganize out estructure in every level.

The second one is more interesting. It means, eating humans(taking them), changing them(processing), transporting them(recirculation) and putting them in positions the superorganism migh deem necesary. And something that is as ordered and capable like a type III, will probably be something like the stroggification process of quake IV: industrial in scale, efficient(without plot points for scape, there is no scape) and fast. The combine also serve as an example but they never showed the way the aliens processed humans into more suitable forms.

And of course those that can't be assimilated will be packaged, compresed and extruded away as leftovers to try to thrive on their own or been eaten by type I-II civilizations like vulures to the dead.

And if we go down this line, there is the chance that humanity actually becomes a venom or a mortal bacteria for the superorganism, Xcom-like by reverse engineering and expanding faster, subverting his own systems or blocking them inadvertedly or on purpose, but on the scale we are talking I don't know if this is really achievable or if it could even be done in a single century.

Coming for a single measely star?
Shouldn't they be able to turn entire galaxies into dyson spheres and such by now?