Due to non-interference laws with pre lightspeed races...

>Due to non-interference laws with pre lightspeed races, galactic authorities cannot return recovered/seized humans to earth.
>because of this, humans are relocated to the "human embassy" which is esentially a ghetto. Humans are second class citizens with few rights, and are essentially told to wait there until the rest of humanity "catches up to them"
>After successfully arguing with local governance, a few humans get let out as "diplomatic liasons" mostly to keep the growing human population quiet, but also for those in charge to evaluate humans to gauge their value for when humanity takes the galactic stage.

Would this make a good setting? What systems would be good to run it in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OiAW5mg_wCc
kotchan.org/chat/int#General
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>non-interference laws
>therefore, government cannot attempt to remedy interference by the equivalent of a plane ticket home
Seems strange, user. Doesn't quite pan out. Also strange that they'd be second class citizens, given that they're basically refugee victims of human trafficking. Guests, that would ideally be returned home, seems more reasonable. I doubt alien governments care if a primitive species is aware they exist, so it hardly matters if they send them home and they talk. Is the alien government just made of douche bags? It even feels weird on the level of fiscal reasoning, cuz now you have to permanently house refugees AGAINST THEIR WILL instead of just putting them the fuck back. These laws seem bad.

Oh. Okay.

Maybe they can't put them back because they have no idea where Earth is? Not like the humans could tell them.

Or maybe they just have a messy more beuracratic version of the prime directive stopping them.

I had a setting like this, where we'll meaning laws have unforseen consequences, and galactic bureaucracy means they won't be solved for a long time.
Basically, there was a star trek-like federation of ayys with a prime directive, but they hadn't put in provisions for what happens if they find a primitive culture and then another spacefaring group lifts the veil. So legally speaking, they can't interact with Earth and a handful of other planets, even though they're all on the galactic stage now. So the shunned group have all gotten together to form their own alliance for mutual protection out on the fringe while the feddies debate endlessly about amending their rules and how to react when a species they can't legally interact with shows up at their starbases.

The great thing about this is (not op) I can just say, 'Bureaucracy' and your argument is mildly to wildly refuted.
Because it can just be that arbitrarily bad.

This problem would eventually be solved (it was a hot issue for the federation and many senators were campaigning on that platform), but it was never expected to be a really long game.

If the aliens don't want humanity at large to know about them (hence the not!Prime Directive) you can't just stick them back on Earth, even though it's likely they'd be mocked you just can't take the risk especially if the experiments have left external evidence like surgical scars, maybe they're conducting experiments illegally and the sanctioned science team on Earth will pick up your interference, maybe you don't want to risk xeno-microorganisms fucking with Earth's biosphere. There are plenty of plausible reasons to hold humans at least for a time instead of immediately returning them.

Although I do agree with the harsh treatment bit, any xeno taking samples of us for experimentation has surely observed us long enough to realize how violent we can get when that fight or flight mechanism kicks in. They'd either treat us well enough to ensure we don't make any trouble or just kill us after they were done.

Of course all of that assumes a human would allow themselves to be captured by xenos scum instead of fighting to the death and refusing to give the xenos anything more than a corpse to study. What are you, some kind of heretic or something?

Op here, my original idea was that yes they can't be returned due to a not!prime directive but the aliens who are forced to keep the humans aren't the same as the aliens who abducted them in the first place.

So one alien abducts some humans, his ship gets raided by "space police" and he gets slapped with a bunch of fines and jail time for illegally messing with a non warp flight sentient species, and then the "space police" are stuck with these humans they've seized with no idea what to do with them.

In galactic legal terms, humans are an illegal exotic pet, essentially. Can't legally own it, bit you can't put it back in the wild anymore.

I-I'd be happy to be someone's exotic pet...

makes sense

stating memory altering procedures for a safe return are also illegal or impossible due to bureaucratic/economic reasons is another way to make it more plausible, I say.

Prime Directive is a pretty flawed concept. It has fuzzy issues regarding of when it is allowed to interfere. If not at all and the planet gets saved from being slapped by a dinosaur killer some people would do it even if they get a death sentence for their trouble. Here's a way more in- depth explanation: youtube.com/watch?v=OiAW5mg_wCc

If it was me I'd just dump the confiscated exotic Humans on an habitat appropriate planet: spend basically pennies establishing some very basic automated infrastructure and an AI baby sitting ruling class/government and then basically just let the Humans live their lives however they see fit.. Maybe check in on them every 50 years or so to see how they're doing.

The only outside interference I'd allow is from the Space Rangers who come to drop off more Humans and old broadcasts from earth which would reach them anyway. But they'll have to make their OWN media unless they want to keep watching reruns and old news for the rest of there lives... And that's where I'd do the campaign, because this feels exactly like a late 80's, early 90's Anime OVA plot.

>Get abducted by aliens
>Get experimented on for some aliens highschool science project
>Aliens get busted by Space Cop
>Get sent to human ghetto
>Read up on these alien laws
>Find loopholes
>Get a job and become a cargo smuggler with some other humans
>Because we're a "non warp" species, the cops can't interact with me and laws don't apply
>Become greatest smuggler in recent history

>Centuries later, humanity attains warp tech and joins the galactic stage
>Earth Ambassadors discover that humans are already notorious.
>Discover that the greatest space pirate of all time was some pack of bored, kidnapped humans and some long range garbage scow they ran off with from an impound lot.

that may also mean that they can KOS any human they see for so much as looking at them wrong seeing they are outside normal laws, i like it.

Sounds glorious

Well now we know what the player party will be doing in the game

The biggest problem here is that everyone casts these arguments from the perspective of our current culture: Aliens don't necessarily think that way, nor would they immediately assume that we were even sentient. (If you look at our fractured government styles, the rampant level of corruption, etc, Humanity may not qualify by comparison.) Do we consider the feelings of the monkeys when we build housing developments in their nesting areas? No? Or how about spiders - do we consult with them when we find them webbing up corners of our domain (houses, apartments, caversn, etc.)? No, we simply kill them - sometimes making a note or post about it - but we don't give it a second thought. [Australia:] We don't even consider the thoughts and/or feelings of the Aborigines - we just keep moving into their territories, displacing them as we go. We seem OK with second-class people, so what makes you think the Aliens would be less likely to accept that? Maybe it's that multi-layered classification of society (now I'm thinking Old England here, back in the days of colonization) that makes _their_ societies function! The chief difference is that they are *Alien*, not human, so their thought processes may not make any sense to us at all, and yet - to their cultural perspective - be perfectly valid.

Those are valid points but OP already stated that in his setting the aliens have a small shroud of care for our well being (how small it's up to him) and stated that they are giving them places for them to live.
That would however be a cool premise of a """"corrupt government"""" wanting to remove humans to make way for another project.

Procedures for memory alteration got tied up in bureaucracy because the only people who had a really good look at the human brain were a notorious group who experimented on them and cut them up - basically all the "literature" they made is verboten on account of them being criminals. This was then doubled-down upon when a few impounded humans were grouped together and showed that they have enough organisation to be classed as sapient.

That got them an "embassy" that's a glorified ghetto rather than a zoo, but that also stymied any release/return plans.

>not exploiting lesser species as slave races to build your empire
Shitty aliens.

>Get abducted by aliens
>They wanted to sell me as an exotic pet
>Ship gets raided by spesscops
>End up on Ghettoworld
>It's full of OTHER pre-FTL species in the same boat
>My best friends are now a psychotic 3 foot teddy bear who is literally nothing but fluff, muscle, and murder; something that resembles a centipede with a million spider legs with a toothed asshole at each end; and a fucking space elf from a species so xenophobic they destroyed their own FTL drives when they discovered the galaxy was full of FUKKEN XENOOOOOS
>Still better than life on Earth, because Galacticnet is a treasure trove

10/10 would live out my life doing this
SOMEBODY ABDUCT ME ALREADY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>Work in a horrible dead end job at a call center selling phone service
>Hate my life, just want it to end
>Suddenly get abducted by aliums that want to map out the contours of my anus
>Procedure is interrupted by Space Cop raid
>End up on Ghetto for underprivileged xenos world
>They demand I get a job
>Only opening in a dead end job at a space call center selling FTL Comms service
At least the cafeteria's food paste dispenser nipple is free use.

>being a space faring race that still requires slaves when robots will do it faster and better

Sounds like you've got the shitty aliens there

Aliens looking for a cheap worker will often sneak/bribe their way into the ghetto for recruits

>At least the cafeteria's food paste dispenser nipple is free use.
Does it come from a live being?

All the best food paste does.

>I doubt alien governments care if a primitive species is aware they exist, so it hardly matters if they send them home and they talk.
Think of it like this. Aliens are white people. Humans are uncontacted Amazonian tribes. The aliens can't send humans back without the tribe changing their behavior after learning what happened, which would ruin the authenticity of their documentary shoots.

They don't care about what's best for humanity, they want our development to be "natural" and avoid the whole "primitive tribe where everybody wears t-shirts left by explorers" thing.

Lucky bastard, we're stuck with synthetic crap, maybe's time for a new career.

What if..
Instead of humans being abducted, they're just randomly appearing on alien worlds and no one knows how they got there, least of all the actual human. So the notFederation gathers them up and puts them on a reserve because they have no idea where they're coming from.

>Be member of glorious Divine Assembly of the Elohim
>Blessed inheritors of the universe, created by the Great Maker Elo
>Shut our borders to the foul and heretical alien without Elo's holy Essence centuries ago
>Still raided by foul pirates and slavers who want Elohim as slaves
>Kidnapped
>Disgusting lapdogs of the illegitimate and secular Galactic Federation rescue me
>Due to their crumbling and overburdened bureaucracy, my species is filed as "Non-Federation" and thus they ship me to a ghetto filled with unholy monstrosities
>And also humans
>The humans may be disgustingly round-eared and lack the Mark of Elo on their brows, but they echo the holy appearance of my own people
>It is a comfort in this dark time to have something that even vaguely echoes my home
>Become friends with one of these humans
>His incessant references to human pop culture and music are confusing, and he is loud, brash, and foolish
>But at least he is a friend, I suppose. It's a pity xenos are killed on sight within the borders of the Assembly, I would love to show him the glories of my homeworld.

kotchan.org/chat/int#General

Sounds like a great person, what can you tell about him/her.

It's bureaucracy. You douche. Personally, I find it to be a interesting setting, with a lot of leeway for adventure and pretty open for character creation.

Except none of your examples use any kind of technology more advanced than "stick".
And we do have laws against fucking with aborigenes and fauna, we didn't have them before, but we most certainly do now.

Jesus mate, what is your point even?

Human male, approximately 128 retol tall, brown hair. Works for the Housing Commission and fields calls from sophonts all day complaining about their homes. It's a planetary ghetto, what do these soulless monsters expect, a palace? In his free time, he performs some human ritual known as "Shitposting" on FedNet, collects xenos memes as some bizarre hobby, and trawls the human social networks for human music and entertainment. Apparently, humans cling to fossil memes as a touchstone and shibboleth in trying times. It is one of their least endearing qualities.

i don't follow, what does that entail? He posts pictures of his defecation on the net?

From what I gather, "shitposting" is a ritual behavior where one deliberately posts false, nonsensical, and foolish material anonymously on a social network. The intent is to anger others with obvious nonsense for one's own amusement. Why and how such a behavior becomes a cultural/religious ritual, I find utterly and completely baffling.

Or memory manipulation is impossible/prohibitively expensive in the setting? Or just impossible/prohibitively expensive for unstudied races?

Is it a form of social commentary? Like criticising one's leaders in the form of comedic jokes to exemplify its wrongs?
Is this isolated or do other humans do this?

>ghettoplanet
>covered in races all living hodgepodge, with only the occasional piece of future tech and mostly "modern day" or even slightly worse tech that they've managed to build themselves
>communicating with galactic society at large is horrendously difficult at best and impossible at worst
>occasionally ships come down and drop off new refugees (and pick up stowaways), or come down to recruit ghettoraces for basically nothing in secret, or even rarer, inform a race that they have achieved warp flight and will now be returned to their species once they have joined the galactic empire

Sounds like an interesting setting.

Yeah, there's quite a bit of potential here, as long as you're not expecting to do anything epic like toppling the galactic government.

I think you'd probably get the most mileage out of having the party get recruited and going to space after a bit (ironically, they'd be illegal aliens taking someone's job), but dealing with the ghetto, other non-warp races, the little bits of shitty Empire bureaucracy that are on the planet, gawking tourists/xenologists from the Empire and if you want to go there, sex tourists could be an interesting challenge

not that guy, but presumably from the alien's point of view that we're using sticks compared to them

>humans are prized as slaves for their ability to operate complex machinery, adapt to any environment, and their unique psychology which allows them to rationalize their subjugation so long as certain instincts are satisfied

I've actually been trying to put together a sci-fi setting with the idea that human societies exist throughout space from the descendants of abductees, and I think this will be a really good fit into it. I'd set it a couple decades after Earth has entered the galactic scene so there's a disconnect in what Earth's status is and what humans get involved in.

so, stargate sg1

Stargate has too much Earth for what I'm thinking. What I'm planning put Earth as "that one podunk planet with three or four colonies and a couple representatives in the adjacent systems" with it being a bit of trivia that humans are originally from there.

>We used the Yenoy setting for the uh, "Human" classified organisms.
>How did it go?
>Well they don't remember the abduction, but they also can't breath without a respiratory implant.
>What? Those are expensive as hell! Just resettle the rest to the primSlums.

We'll, if I'm going to be forced to live in a shitty ghetto, I may as well make the most of it.

You think the Embassy would let me start and organise a community garden? If so, would they allow us access to and provide seeds of Earth crops? I might as well help make things more homey and nostalgic for the rest of us refugees

>Be space refugee
>Sign up for terraforming of a planet with a friendly environment
>It turns into Space Humans: The Colony
>Still sell exotic pets back to intergalatic civilization

I can do you one better
>the alien species has no discernible difference between instincts, morality, and laws
>The concept of "smuggling" has never been explicitly made illegal because the idea of illegally shipping goods would never naturally emerge
>human refugees are not only expert smugglers but supreme diplomats not because they are exceptionally charismatic but because they are one of the few species capable of lying

>Be uplifted pet of a Mad Scientist
>Her Biotech lab is raided for (you guessed it) tax evasion, but my presence was just the cherry on top.
>Just as it is illegal to interfere with developing civilizations, it is also a crime to create new intelligent species.
>Too smart to ethically euthanize, but still a bureaucratic nightmare when it comes to what rights I qualify for.
>End up on Ghettoworld until I can personally build a warp drive and earn full citizenship.
>I used to be the equivalent of space hamster and now I have to learn Quantum Mechanics
>I miss the Mad Scientist...

>because of this, humans are seen as the niggers of the galactic community

>and what do you call this creature?
>that's a rat
>oh my, how exotic! and you say I have to feed it every day? what a strange creature
>Yes maam, that'll be ten thousand unibux for the adoption fee

To be fair, rats can make for excellent pets

I was just trying to make a joke about how we could sell literal vermin as exotic pets to intergalactic species

You mean like how we buy goldfish from Japan or hamsters from Europe?
Exotic just means "not common/native to a specific area" which would mean that, to an alien, even a pest like your typical Rattus rattus could be seen as exotic

What happens when the aliens get their first taste of human brutality in a ghetto uprising?

Humans are incredibly brutal creatures, real humans are far more brutal savage and violent (if pressed to that point) than any dragon, ogre, or demon.

>What happens when the aliens get their first taste of human brutality in a ghetto uprising?
>Humans are incredibly brutal creatures, real humans are far more brutal savage and violent (if pressed to that point) than any dragon, ogre, or demon.
This must be true, since there aren't any dragons, ogres, or demons left anymore.

They cover the planet in a biological agent that renders all of us sterile

I'm not exactly sure who said it, but I remember reading some famous person had said "All fantasies and myths of hell are a manifestation of humanity's shock and revulsion at it's own, dimly remembered, behavior."

They vent the atmosphere, but just a little bit, so they can calm down the humans. The brain damage heals, right?

I mean, if that society exists, they may prefer using living, intelligent beings due to the exploitability of machines/they barely fought off a Singularity scenario and mistrust any machine that has anything resembling artificial intelligence. The under-developed species might even be a boon because they still know how to code pre-AI programs that can be controlled.

Well, that, or they're disgustingly rich perverts.

I mean, the reason you can't put an exotic animal back into the wild is because it's tamed, and no longer has the basic instincts required to survive in its natural habitat. Unless these humans have been held for years, and are irrevocably emotionally traumatized, that doesn't feel super applicable.

If the Prime Directive was kinda the original model, the consider, what would Picard do?
>alien refugee taken off planet by some human criminal
>wikipedia says that the prime directive "applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them"
>does this dramatically change the native culture if you do the right the thing and said this fucker back to his world?
>does the knowledge that aliens exists change the primitive culture in some major way?
>far more imperative is correcting the ACTUAL infraction in the Prime Directive, the stolen prisoner taken from his culture, which definitely is an inappropriate influence by aliens

Also, first poster here, sorry to have come off that harsh.

Just trying to make the setting as strong as it can be, these things must be explained or by god the players WILL ask.

I think it'd be a pretty solid setting OP, but you may want to change it a bit.

>You are "second class" in the sense that most of the galaxy thinks you are a backwards fucking savage, and talks to you largely in metaphors because they aren't even sure how smart you are, let alone understand that we have figured out the whole Force = Mass x acceleration thing. They can't figure out if you are retarded or not.
>everything is very well made, yet designed for bizarre ergonomics that don't QUITE fit us or our psychology, because the ayyys haven't had time to really study us or our habits ("what do you mean humans are right-handed? wtf" "wtf you mean you can learn how to read by the time you're 8 galactic standard years???" "It should be very obvious which one is the toilet, the sink, the ball-washer, the face-cleanser, the porgalk, and the joka."
>Our lives are boring or simply not fun, not because of material poverty or inaccessibility but because we can barely understand their tv (not in our language), the keyboards are clearly not made for our people, a lot of the guards get frustrated (or we get frustrated) and treat us with ambivalence at best. We have access to pretty good facilities, it's just that we aren't the intended audience (since they are dealing with refugees from across the galaxy who are otherwise uncontacted).
>alien bureaucracy means its hard to actually change our living situation other than resorting to black market work
>black market has artifacts from "uncontacted" planets, such that aliens regularly show up to these places and just steal shit to sell to the refugees
>NGOs sometimes try to Underground Railroad refugees home
>Sex-tourism and species-tourism is common, with other members of the galactic community dropping in to exploit peoples who fundamentally don't belong
>can barely get normal work because the education and training is all fucked up because of logistical difficulty

I would play it.

> ghetto aliens make for useful hired goons because noone knows what they can actually do
> Prime bullshit artists can convince alien pirates that they are capable of exploding like a bomb when provoked, or can breathe deadly poisons
> Also useful for overcoming specialised security systems, general purpose tranquilisers might not work, and complex locks might be transparent in the visual spectrum of ghetto aliens

> Just two of them he had said
> easy job he had said
> just ambush them in the elevator
> fucking chturrga
> Jlorf had gone in first, pulled a blaster on the Alba and its weird pink oily companion
> I had demanded their case in exchange for their lives
> The upper half of the pink one suddenly swelled up, and its head turned bright red
> The alba dropped to the floor and covered its head, wailing in untranslatable expletives
> "Drop the blaster or I swear to god we're all gonna fucking die!" The pink one screamed
> Jlorf made a grab for the case and the pink one hit him with one of its apendages
> "If you try that again I'll blow us all to hell, dont you scare me like that!"
> I scanned the creature looking for a bomb
> "Yeah! You see that dickhead! The air sac surrounded by bone strips? Thats a bomb my friend, a biological bomb with its own shrapnel!"
> Jlorf is shaking, cant hold his blaster up properly
> Shleep, I'm gonna die for a few measly credits
> Lots of swearing and shouting later, jlorf and I are standing against the wall with the Alba pointing jlorfs blaster at us
> The pink thing deflates and begins emitting a rhythmic whooping noise
> "Holy shit I cant believe you guys fell for that"
> Fucking PreCivs

>>Due to non-interference laws with pre lightspeed races, galactic authorities cannot return recovered/seized humans to earth.
This is interesting. The rest I could really do without. I would change it so that humans actually have it pretty good out in space, because aliens in large part have their shit decently together. Instead of a human embassy, I would say a human colony. Maybe on a small moon with a nice environment, and here, humans are studied by whatever race or government funds the colony. Gauged for their potential, in a similar vein to what you said. How fast can they learn advanced principles? How do their communities develop? Are they truly inherently violent, or can they play nice? It is essentially an art farm. You are studied. Poked and prodded, tested, treated with a patronizing nature by the aliens who think that they are much smarter and better than you, but it's a nice colony. Life is simple. Comfortable. At least on the surface. Maybe more, darker experiments take place. Things like limit testing. How does subject X respond to toxin Y? How much atmospheric pressure can an adolescent male take before crumpling in on himself? Or maybe it's just a really nice hamster cage of a colony.

Humans are allowed to leave, and if they escape, no especial effort is made to bring them back. Because most of them come back on their own. Freedom, or ease of life with a heavy helping of turning a blind eye? But traffic to Earth and other pre-FTL planets is heavily monitored, and you are effectively never allowed to return to Earth. Not with all of your brain, that is. And there are no mind-wipes. There's laser lobotomy.

Also, this is an interesting explanation for random humans in space. Not exactly a setting in and of itself.

Something like this happened in an episode "Homeward", specifically the one where they all sat back and watched a planet die but Worf's surprise human brother transported a bunch of them to the holodeck. One of the primitives stumbled out of the holodeck and Picard gives him the talk and a choice. Go back to your people or stay here with us. He commits suicide instead.

Humanity is soon divided into two broad categories in galactic media. 1st is the abductee population who are seen as batshit crazy fuckers who literally do not give a fuck about anything. This is what happens when you uproot humans from different tribal groups who all grew up watching Star Wars and other such sci-fi, stick them all together, educate their kids and give them access to high technology. Every one of them wants to be Han Solo or Malcolm Reynolds or some shit and with no roots to hold them down all it takes is one space ship left unattended and it happens.

Half of them are pirates and half of them are knights-errant all of them are crazy.

The other group are the Earth Humans who are maverick engineers. For a long time now galactic civilization has had the theoretical means to make all sorts of weird and wonderful shit but hasn't.

Then humanity blunders on to the galactic stage in a "how the fuck is this even holding together" fusion powered death-trap going at 1.5 light speed, half drunk and with stars in it's eyes reaching to the stars with feverish dreams of greatness and fun.

It’s a matter of hours after first official contact that they have hacked the contact team’s hypernet password and are downloading ALL OF THE THINGS! They start out a thousand years behind everyone else. 50 years later they are, mostly, a hundred years behind everyone else.

By that point they could not be contained. And they build things as a dick measuring contest and they absolutely despise the ghetto humans.

>humanity is 1000 years behind
>but we totally hacked their systems you guys!

HFYfags are the worst

Because this thread has ben totaly srs bsns so far

Realismfags are the worst

The loss of 1 individual is less likely to have an impact than the disappearance and reappearance of said individual if they come back with a load of weird knowledge, including the existence of aliens - and putting the human back presents an (admittedly small) discovery risk

But user, humans can actually breathe deadly poisons. Specifically: oxygen.

They could have encountered the abductee humans and they could've told them how to do it.

>57569528
>>You are "second class" in the sense that most of the galaxy thinks you are a backwards fucking savage, and talks to you largely in metaphors because they aren't even sure how smart you are, let alone understand that we have figured out the whole Force = Mass x acceleration thing. They can't figure out if you are retarded or not.
>everything is very well made, yet designed for bizarre ergonomics that don't QUITE fit us or our psychology, because the ayyys haven't had time to really study us or our habits
I like it.

>Our lives are boring or simply not fun, not because of material poverty or inaccessibility but because we can barely understand their tv (not in our language), the keyboards are clearly not made for our people, a lot of the guards get frustrated (or we get frustrated) and treat us with ambivalence at best.
Wouldn't this end up with the refugee camp basically forming it's own culture?

"deadly poison" depends on the context.

Sounds like a fun game of Traveller, doing odd-jobs, saving money, learning and then you get your hands on your own ship.
>What do you mean "it's piloted by humans ?" Those primitives can't tell a jorkal apart from a plot.

>You are "second class" in the sense that most of the galaxy thinks you are a backwards fucking savage, and talks to you largely in metaphors because they aren't even sure how smart you are, let alone understand that we have figured out the whole Force = Mass x acceleration thing. They can't figure out if you are retarded or not.
>everything is very well made, yet designed for bizarre ergonomics that don't QUITE fit us or our psychology, because the ayyys haven't had time to really study us or our habits
I like it.

>Our lives are boring or simply not fun, not because of material poverty or inaccessibility but because we can barely understand their tv (not in our language), the keyboards are clearly not made for our people, a lot of the guards get frustrated (or we get frustrated) and treat us with ambivalence at best.
Wouldn't this end up with the refugee camp basically forming it's own culture?

"deadly poison" depends on the context.

Seconding. By the time the galactic Feds discover that the human smuggling happened, no one even remembers where these pinky shits came from.

Throw in realistic time dilation, or a couple of regular decades passing. If you picked up a 14 year old in the 60s, people will fucking notice that you put them back today. Especially if they haven't aged much in the meantime.

Then the aliens shouldn't have set the password to just being the name of whatever department a computer is in. If the console in the cargo bay is only protected by the word for cargo in their language, it's going to end up pretty easy to crack.

Back when the game, Nier Automata was still newish, I figured a good way to have humans come back into that setting was something like this. Abducted humans dropped off on a random planet after the probing was done over the course of decades at least, only stopping when the white chlorination wiped out humans on Earth. Millennia later, the new, space faring civilization stumbles upon the lost home.

>Is the alien government just made of douche bags? It even feels weird on the level of fiscal reasoning, cuz now you have to permanently house refugees AGAINST THEIR WILL instead of just putting them the fuck back. These laws seem bad.
This exact has current political precedent, check out what the Australian government is doing to refugees for the deets.

With an 1000 year advance on you, do you think you'd even be able to understand it was a computer? And if you even did understand it was a computer, do you think it would still even have input you could use?

This is like saying an ancient Roman could hack a computer. He wouldn't even know what it was.

He would if shit was explained and demonstrated. People of a thousand years ago weren't retards.

Only under highly pressurized conditions. Under any condition in which it might be in an atmosphere is serves as the best fuel for energy use in a cell.

To be fair, no sane man would seriously claim that the Aborigines are actually really humans anyways. Just fucking look at them. I refuse to see myself as member of the same species as those 60 IQ desert goblins.

technology plateaus after a certain point, obviously not to thousand year extremes but i think we'd be be to recognize a display with an input device as some sort of computer system.

a more realistic scenario: the human goes to try and hack the computer, only to find out it requires a neural jack (that he doesn't have) and a connection to the noospheric data transfer system.

This. Advanced technology doesn't mean shit if it's being operated by dumbasses

There's a difference between literally using sticks and having such a large tech disparity that you -may as well- be using sticks. Sure, internal combustion and medicore metal forging might be like sticks compared to space reactor and metallurgy bullshit, but it still shows that the species is conscious enough to not just obliterate the way you'd obliterate an anthill. Or, to put it another way, if you're developed enough to create modern technologies, you're also probably developed enough to suffer/want revenge for suffering and would cause a kerfluffle on the galatic stage when your alien McDonalds building robots keep getting vandalised or destroyed.

>To be fair, no sane man would seriously claim that the Aborigines are actually really humans anyways. Just fucking look at them. I refuse to see myself as member of the same species as those 60 IQ desert goblins.

Your ghetto is over here:

he isn't wrong tho

Abbos are just Africans who somehow got lost on a boat and ended up landing on the ass-end of nowhere, then proceeded to do stupid shit like undomesticate the dog and destroy the local ecosystem.

Sounds par the course for humanity to me. Combine with genetic work and they're Human
>Inb4 Africans aren't human

i live in australia and while what he says is clear hyperbole, if you had spent much time with them, you'd have a similar sentiment, though perhaps not as extreme

they're a great example of why we shouldn't be involved with significantly different other cultures. they simply can't adapt in a healthy way. its quite sad really

So I know this is probably stupid to post, but what if memes were something unique to humans or otherwise very strange and hard to understand for aliens?
How would you even describe to them shit like ugandan knuckles if all the ghetto humans used the VR stuff to dick about for a laugh?

What about shit that we can actually talk about without being called fags like the seperation of /co/ and /a/ due to one form of animation being made in the west and the other the east, despite the same not being done for other subjects?

>How would you even describe to them shit like ugandan knuckles
They should have a concept for humor, so just say it's a running gag that requires a specific form of meta-context to understand

Suddenly, dumb human meme humor now is seen as something esoteric by the other species

While I like the concept of humanity exportimg their pop culture to aliens like black people export rap to white people, I don't think humans would be uber hackerz. If anythimg they'd be more like pests that gum up everything.

>So you say you syabilization ionizer is malfunctioning? Gimmie a minute...yep looks like humans. Ooh he's a slippery one!
>>Lemme go, I'm hacking this machine
>Yeah see here we got one of those "Trekkian" humans. They differ from the "Jedi" humans in that they like to tinker with big looking machines. Most cases all they do is cross wires and electrocute themselves.
>>I know what I'm doing! I'm siphoning water to my settlement.
>Yeah see this thing doesn't work with water, see what I mean? This is why I recommend you cover your machines with Avalaxian screws. Their 4 dimensional rivets mess with humans because they only see in 3.