ITT: Ideas you dig that Veeky Forums doesn't

What it says on the tin.
What are some ideas and or concepts of your own, or that you've heard of that you personally thought was cool, but your fellow anons didn't.

I'll start with an example of my own.
>Replacing Dwarves with hardy Sheepfolk
>Sheepfolk in general

Human-only fantasy settings, or at least making humans the PLAYABLE race.

Yet for some reason Veeky Forums gets a hard-on over the idea when it's sci-fi settings.

It's much easier to single out ideas that Veeky Forums digs, but I don't.

Numenera or it's sister systems

Why sheepfolk in particular? What makes them cooler than other beastfolk races? Honest question here.

Also, for mountain-dwelling race goatfolk fit better.

Honestly? I think it stems from the home-grown fairytales my parents would tell me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

The sheep in those fairy tales were all very community minded, strong-willed, and hard working. It's always appealed to me, and sheep are cute as fuck anyways. Being some "black-sheep" Ram adventurer sounds fun too! The idea was thrown up in a thread where someone asked "Why doesn't YOUR setting have stocky sheep and ram folk?" And people got mad pissy at the idea.

As for the goat-thing, I usually declare "fuck it" and make different breeds of goat and sheep different breeds of "Sheep"-folk.

Human-ish beastfolk. You either get autistic screeching from both humanfags and furries, or Veeky Forums makes them into a joke race of animal memes.

To be fair, this also applies to any race that can be viewed as conventionally attractive and/or "snowflakey" (elves, tieflings, any race not from standard lineup). Veeky Forums either tries to joke'em up, or goes straight into "if it's grimdark it must be good, right"? territory.

I also like shardminds, if anything, they're an interesting concept.

>"Why doesn't YOUR setting have stocky sheep and ram folk?"
This is the single worst way to start a thread tho.

How do you feel about going full-on Redwall with beastfolk? Nightmare mode: how do you insert carnivorous and herbivorous beastfolk in one setting without all the uneasy implications it brings?

Fairies that aren't universally malevolent or otherwise uniformly awful to interact with. I like weird shit that is sometimes friendly or useful.

This is funny because usually Veeky Forums ignores scores of fairy tales where supernatural bullshit is benign to people who treat them with basic respect and only punish people who act like jackasses.

But sheepfolk are great, user!
They replace my dwarves, just like rabbitfolk replace my hobbits.

I've been given shit for trying to come up with original races in the past
The races in question are not important because it has happened every time
And it can't be just me making shit races because every time I see them posted they get laughed at for being "snowflakey variations of x established race" regardless of how much in common they really have

I just want to let you know that you're not alone.

Possibly because the knee-jerk reaction for modern Veeky Forums is to be a complete jackass?

>vanilla elves that aren't slaves, fapbait, or edgy cannibals
>players contributing to world building
>worlds where exotic races aren't a big deal
>rules light systems with a strong focus on a particular style of game
>talking about Veeky Forums things instead of fetishposting or shitposting

What do you mean, I see this pop up so much on Veeky Forums.

The carnivores don't eat other bipeds, easy. Just non-sapients.

It's 50/50 anymore but I've always been a fan of playing tropes straight and not subverting them just for the sake of subversion.

>worlds where exotic races aren't a big deal

being 'exotic' implies they are alien, which makes them a pretty big deal, no?

Same. I've been in the hobby for about 10 years and everyone is so obsessed with subversions and playing against convention that I've yet to fight a vanilla dragon and adventure in a real dungeon.

I didn't even get the Monty Python jokes I was promised.

I meant more exotic by Veeky Forums's standards. There's always a couple of anons that get upset if humans as a whole don't go full "we don't like yer kind around here boy," whenever any other races shows up into town.

I like Genesys, and it's quickly becoming my go-to system. The community for it is pleasant and productive, I quite like the narrative dice system, and the already extensive list of development projects make it seem like there's nothing I can't run with it.
When's the next General going to be up?

I like Genesys, and it's quickly becoming my go-to system. The community for it is pleasant and productive, I quite like the narrative dice system, and the already extensive list of development projects make it seem like there's nothing I can't run with it.(except Capeshit)
When's the next General going to be up?

I played Dungeon World with my group, and we had a great time with it. While it wasn't entirely without flaws, there weren't any that were significant enough to actually cause us problems despite running a long campaign, and the system did what it was supposed to do, and did it very well.

Actually playing games.

>matriarchal societies for non-fetishistic reasons

Thirded.

I have played a lot of the tropes and I still prefer tropes to subverted tropes. Tropes are tropes for a reason, they work as storytelling tools and easily engage my (fellow) players. Making an engaging, easily understood story without tropes is beyond a lot of gamemasters and module authors. Their games would be better if they just stopped worrying and started loving the tropes.

>Why doesn't YOUR setting do random specific thing that appeals to me?
This way of framing just inherently grinds my gears. I know it's just mugging for responses but it still irks me.
Right besides
>Media I just consumed shits up your setting, please wank it's powerlevel by describing what happens.

I think they are fine when the style of the setting supports them. They fit great in space fantasy.

No one does this

Veeky Forums is the only place on the internet that doesn't suck D&D or Pathfinder's cocks, but at the same time if you dare mention you use the system outside a general then you'll have everyone tell you how shit it is for the millionth time.

I've actually ran into the exact opposite, everybody outside of Veeky Forums absolutely despises D&D and every time I've attempted to engage in discussion with them about alternative systems I eventually discover they've only ever played D&D.

That's just the old "familiarity breeds contempt" thing.

Do they produce wool?

Do you need consent before you shear a sheepfolk? Or can you go full Welsh on them and stick their back legs in a pair of wide rain boots before fuck-I mean shearing them?

I’m surprised I don’t see more papercraft miniatures, either quality standees or actual models for things that are large enough.

This is actually cool. Folklore will always be my favorite approach to fantasy. I personally have a knee-jerk reaction to beastfolk in general, but coming from an actual childhood story is a lot more interesting than what I tend to see around here.

I feel the need to explain that it wasn't me who started that thread.
But y'all make good points.

Well Satan, might as well post them.

This is the case for me. I'm weary of Fresh New Spins on everything, and wouldn't be surprised if others were feeling the same way. Classic stories have time on their side, and don't have to be relentless analyzed and added to. Older fables tend to do a better job of keeping fantasy fantastic.

In my setting, indeed they do. At a rate slightly faster than the average human grows hair. Different villages, cities, and cultures favor different ways of shearing oneself and find different styles fashionable. Common themes include big, fluffy "hair" that's usually left trimmed, but unshorn. Rams not shaving their torsos and going shirtless, giving them a barrel-chested appearance, and the more wealthy sheeple shearing in complex designs across their body and keeping their wool close to the skin. However, maintaining a wool coat is difficult and can be expensive, so most commoners shear themselves naked and spin clothes from the wool instead of dealing with it. The act of spinning clothes with the wool of close friends, family, and loved ones is seen as a bond-building excersize and a show of love. To that end, the first garments made from a childs first coat are usually treasured as heirlooms. And there exists a fairy tale where a Ram was called to war, so his wife made him a gambeson, the wool-layers coming from her own coat. When he gets to the battle he is struck to the ground and guts his opponent from below. He then expects his armor, expecting it to be ruined, only to discover that wherever the first layer was cut underneath existed layer-after-layer of "Steel-Wool" that had kept him unharmed.
Sorry for that lore dump holy shit.

Do not beep the sheep please.

>Perfectly generic Dungeons and Dragons fantasy world.
>North is cold
Fuck you I like it.

Same here. You could put it in the South, but why? What does that do to improve things? Nothing at all!

think everyone has thought of it but I hardly hear of an aquatic campaign that takes place in the open ocean. Exploring coral reefs, deep trenches and sunken relics, etc.

I think the difference here is demographic.

Fantasy is based in mythology and assumes humans, and all other races are referenced back to humans. We are the dominant race, so why not explore other options.

Scifi loves the conceit that humanity is late to the stars and we're the underdogs. So it attracts the HUMANITY FUCK YEAH-attitude.

Humans as the powerful precursor or elder race

Newcron lore

>realistic armor and character design
>no exposed skin
>no titplates
>lack of sex appeal in general

Fuck off, you're not the OP, I am.

I have seen literally no one complain about that.

Holy fuck Veeky Forums is back. Jesus.

Furry races of all kinds and stealing real world cultures.

Like, for 40k or a d20 game?

You know what I really dig?
Elves.
But we can't have an elf-thread without people losing their minds or shitposting the thread into dust.

You can't oversexualize sheepfolk. They're fucking sheep. Only furries can enjoy them.

What do you like about them, user?

I think they mean in general, not in regards to sheeple specifically.

I like them too, and I like having a bunch of different types. I don't give a fuck.

I like treating sex and sexuality as something that people in-setting have too, that like in the real world has motivated not only art and literature, but also altered cultures and moved borders.
I like being able to make characters with a sex drive and preferences.
I like being able to make cultures with sexual norms and taboos that aren't just "this world", "free sex" or "cover all".
I like being able to make characters who actively try to be desirable out of their own free will.
All in all, I like playing sex and sexuality as a core part of society, something varied, mutable and immensely culturally powerful that like in this world decides how people act, look, think and dress, what the society prioritizes and what people do with their free time.
I like the idea of a society where sexual norms aren't kept Judeo-Christian by literary consensus even when that kind of religion nor the ethnological need for it never existed in the setting.
I like the infinite variety of ideas that comes to mind the moment you realize that even people's ideas of "proper, non-sexual behavior" are given context and shape by the sexual norms of the society, and that you can thus create human and humanoid societies with entirely different and consistent values just by fiddling with the very basics.
But of course, the autists and shitters come out of the woodwork whenever someone mentions sex, because there are some people who're so repressed they can only seem to get off on using the word "degenerate".

>wants to wank every time he plays his RPGs
>not degenerate

Explain to me the logical process by which "including sex in a neutral, non-personal, in-setting way, from a sociological and anthropological standpoint" equates to masturbation.
I know you're just fishing for a (You), but there are people who really equate any mention of sex with someone forcing that sex onto them, and I've yet to see the connection or have it explained.
In excess of "they've never had any sexual contact with a woman and want to seem like it's voluntary", of course.

I agree with a lot of this.

I once wanted to play a sacred prostitute cleric type character but then I remembered I'm a girl and the rest of the group are neck beard guys and it would be fucking horrible.

I made a male character instead, a hipster painter. It was fun

>Explain to me the logical process by which "including sex in a neutral, non-personal, in-setting way, from a sociological and anthropological standpoint" equates to masturbation.
That's impossible, bro. The moment you bring up sex in a game, someone (probably you) will start to get hot and his/her in-game behavior will start to deteriorate until he/she climaxes.
By involving sex in your games you invite weirdos to live out their fantasies.

>I once wanted to play a sacred prostitute cleric type character
As I said, weirdos.

I liked the character archetype in theory, but once I realized I would have to interact with other players in that way I was out. Also how do I do the whoring? Either it's a little silly and hand waved which doesn't seem right for that character or I take it more seriously which forces more attention to the subject... It's hard to do that tastefully and consistently without dedicating too much time to it.

But any good backstory has a sex scene in it. My mage character gets his powers from adoration, so his awakening was after starring in a high school play. During curtain call the audience was cheering and he was holding hands with the leading lady and his powers awakened. Then he took the girl home and they banged. I mean I didn't go into detail but my backstories are

...fire emoji, I was 90% sure Veeky Forums wouldn't allow that.

This is why you take those kinds of things to text-based online stuff. Everyone gets hot and bothered but they can take a few minutes to go polish their sword or rub their shield and get back to those things if they're the sort that need to, and there's way less awkwardness so long as you feel and thus type confidently about it.

Well I'm not sure if I want people jacking it to my character but you're right that text based stuff makes it easier.

Shardminds are a good idea but what I never got is why rock people would have tits? Or really gender in general? I can shrug off lizard people or bird people having tits, at least they're flesh and blood. But rock people?

I knew you were on our side.
What happened to the situation in which there is sex and sexuality involved in the setting, but no one gets aroused or awkward?
It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me. Let's say that in Space Culture X, fingerprints are the only element left of a person that can't be changed, and hand-holding is thus considered both intimate and sensual, even sexual.
People describe that their characters hold hands, roleplay embarrassment or awkwardness, then move on.
Hell, it even counts the same for sex. Everyone can roleplay being embarrassed, everyone can roleplay reluctance or excitement, and everyone (hopefully) can control their libido even if sex is mentioned.
It's the step of assuming, self-consciously like a 14-year-old lurking around the edges of the prom, that everyone has sexual intents that sends it off course.
Distinguish between reality and fiction. People are having sex in a fantasy world, news at 11, who cares. Even if it's the character you're playing, it's still not you, you're just trying to play this character naturally as a living person.
The people around the table aren't secretly desiring you.
They aren't all projecting their own fetishes into their character.
Modern players, I think, go into games with an expectation of some sort of victimization or violation that just isn't there.
I mostly fade to black with my group, but that's because there's no roleplaying when people are banging. I take it as far as it needs to be as long as there's roleplaying - it's gone everywhere from tasteful Hallmark erotica to toilet humor and horrible double entendres, but never once has it gotten unpleasant.
If you don't want to get dogpiled by everyone including the newest of newfags, don't even mention emoji on here.

Hey, if you can find a group of players like that, all the more power to you. I'm fine with elements of sex in my games, I've pulled the "fade to black" a few times because, like you say, people bang, it happens.
The reason I bring up text-based stuff is because user was talking about an explicitly sexual character and why they didn't want to play them with their group, so suggested an alternative.

I don't expect everyone to get awkward about it - hell, I expect MOST people to react sensibly - but if your IRL group might not be the sort to do that and you want to play a character or run a world with an emphasis on sex and sexuality, then alternatives exist.

I can dig elves.
You know, Noldor levels of badass that scare the shit out of almost everyone.

>Modern players, I think, go into games with an expectation of some sort of victimization or violation that just isn't there.

Please elaborate?

Same here

I concur.

Also, I have a soft spot for inland seas.

It really depends on where you draw the limit for "explicitly sexual character", because I've had this discussion in other threads and some people draw the line at "female character".
It also always gets assumed to mean a F-list-tier fursona made explicitly for vore/SBBW ERP, when you can perfectly well make a character motivated and given shape by sexuality without them being made for sexual roleplaying.
Imagine, for example, Shadowrun. If I was to play a street samurai who used to be some hapless sod who biosculpted himself into his favorite fighter-game waifu as a result of Matrix/smart-drug abuse and desperation and is now running half for the excitement and half to make money to get the operation reversed, would you call it an "explicitly sexual character" even if not a single time their pants come off?
Here, the catch is that the character made a bad decision because of their dick, which is not a new thing, and it meshes with Shadowrun fluff and mood (commoditization of the human body, virulent advertising, societal blunting, you name it), but it's not ERP nor made for it.
I could explore that character for ages, and I bet that others could too - because you have the most interesting fuck-ups, fatal flaws and foibles where you have the most illogical but pervasive drives, which sex just so happens to be.
Continuing with Shadowrun, you could have an infiltrator who got all that contortionism 'ware and dresses in that catsuit because she gets off on it, a mage whose fetish for mind control catapulted him from straight-laced wage mage to burnt-out criminal on the run, an S-K employee who desperately shadowruns on the side because his greatest desire is to end up by his dragon CEO's side, or maybe a decker who's always accompanied by an inappropriately touchy-feely AR waifu.
All of these concepts are motivated by sex, but do they compel ERP?

It doesn't exactly discourage it, which some people would undoubtedly accept as compelling it. I feel like it would depend more on how the player presents the character-though of course, setting does play a role in how well that kind of thing fits into the game. Shadowrun is all about the dark, greasy underside of a soulless corporate-owned urban fantasy future, so a bit of sleaze might be expected.

>Shardminds are a good idea but what I never got is why rock people would have tits? Or really gender in general?

Because they're PC race and so they must have genders and tits.

I'd really prefer they went full weird biology with warforged and shardminds, like them being immune to poisons, but suffering extra hard from sonic damage, or something. Something to differentiate them from fleshy races.

Those characters are explicitly sexual, but all those people are explicitly sexual internally, not externally.
Examples of an explicitly sexual character to me would be the "sacred prostitute" the user bought up, or a succubus/incubus, a particularly seductive Toreador in Vampire, or a courtesan of some description. These characters are explicitly sexual externally, in that their sexuality is something that involves other people (and can potentially be weaponised), whereas all your examples have their sexual bent effecting only them: The infiltrator enjoys it herself, the mage's fetish gets him off but not the person he's controlling (in most scenarios), the one who wants to end up with his CEO is never sexing their CEO, and the Decker's AR waifu is between the two of them.

You can totally run all those examples, mine and yours, just fine IRL for most people; but not for everyone, whereas online even if someone is a little weird about any of those concepts like ALSO being a girl who feels sexy in a catsuit and got in shape just to wear one, such as myself then, whilst they might not ERP, over text they're less likely to have any adverse reactions.

That also works in reverse: maybe one wants to play one of those things but lacks confidence in themselves or their self-image or something; they're far more likely to be able to say the right things and take the right actions and be as sexually confident as their character is if they don't have to worry about their voice or their appearance, and thus roleplay that character more effectively.

I should clarify: I don't think either method is superior to the other, just that text-based might work better for various folks.

Full armor is sexy.
Flat chested women are also sexy.
Flat chested beast races are even sexier.

My comfy niggas

What's comfy about lower temperatures in polar regions? Apart from the usual staying close with a loved one to keep warm in the bitter cold.

Penguins.

>Sheepfolk instead of Dwarves
Even as a Dwarf fag, I find this intriguing. Tell me more...

>be DM
>players always expecting tropes to be subverted
>subvert their expectations by not subverting old tropes and playing them straight

The double bait and switch. I didn't know Rian Johnson had a Veeky Forums account.

Summoners whose minions explode for colossal damage if you damage him.

I can see where that would get annoying if you do it more than once.

> How many layers of subversion are you on?

if you're a fat bastard like me, I'm sure you'd be comfy in say Grytviken.
It's my dream abode.

Oh there are more cock cannibals out there? That's good, call up monte and let him know on his penectomy tumblr

Alright. Time to get out the pitchforks. You buddy, have gone one mile too far from Albuquerque if you catch my drift.
Oh I just straight up steal shit from popular videogames. Hell, I'm planning on introducing my players to the concept of multiverses as an excuse to throw in whatever the fuck I want.

One 'original' concept I'm planning: Sometimes, a portal rips in reality and spits out a bunch of goblins from some other universe. What universe and what type of goblins changes every time, but the idea is that goblins are so horribly reviled that their REALITIES keep trying to spit them out into some other universe. ("They're YOUR problem now, buddy!")

This.

Practically every single "let's build a setting thread!" turns into the dumbest shit, if it doesn't already start with a dumb concept. And people get excited about what they're doing. I don't go in and shitpost and tell them they all suck, I just get baffled at all the ideas flying around that they think is actually good. A common example is "Let's build a superhero setting! Ok, so there's an event where everyone gets powers and because of that a bunch of people die, like the majority of the earth's population, and everything is shitty and this isn't really a superhero setting at all but let's just run with it!".

I don't understand. And let's add the "What would happen if X fell into your setting?" and "Your current party faces THIS guy," threads to things I don't understand that people get excited about.

What is there to tell? It's simply always made sense to me, like what I mentioned here and here I love Dwarves, but I find Sheepfolk to be a fun twist on the idea. And if not an outright replacement, you can always put them in mountain/base-of-mountain villages where they lead ludicrously comfy domestic lives.
If you dig into sheep traits and tropes, you can develop a decent fantasy culture for them. Things like speed-shearing competitions, headbutting competitions, resolving disputes via those headbutting competitions...

TL;DR There is a lot you can do with them, and they haven't really been done before to my knowledge.

Oh I feel you.
The best settings that come from Veeky Forums I feel are the ones that spring up from threads and discussion that AREN'T setting creation threads.
I almost feel like drastically reducing the scope of what's worked on in those threads would help. Like, "Let's design a culture" or a city, town, religion, something like that and slowly refine those different facets to make a setting piece by piece.

That all sounds very silly, and the pic just makes it sillier. That said, I kind of want to see that in a game now. And the swordbreaker is a nice touch.

I never said it's a very serious idea.
But I've never found non-monstrous beastfolk to be anything but a bit silly, you dig?

Yeah, fair enough.

I feel like this is a common complaint, but if you have all these different races and cultures of elves everywhere in the world, wouldn't that mean Elves are the dominant species?
Or are they all isolationist "the worlds problems aren't our problems" type?

I had a setting where Elves were the dominant species. Live longer, more magical aptitude on average, etc.
Humans were about the only race without anything special about them, they had one city out in the middle of a desert, everywhere else they were basically servants of all stripes to whoever could afford them.

Sounds perfectly dystopian.