0000 rolls around time to start your shift

>0000 rolls around time to start your shift
>pretty standard so far, taking care of the chores those evening shift assholes didn't take care off
>0100 rolls around the usual biker gang rolls in
>give you a bit of hell for still being so skinny, buy 2 packs of cigs each and leave
>nice guys, too bad they always smell like cigarettes
>the abnormally tall dude wanders in
>buys a frostie and leaves
>he never really talks
>you notice the assholes from the last shift didn't restock the milky ways
>you rush to bring them from the back
>he comes in
>buys one milky way, pays with 3 cats paws and tips his hat
>nice guy, but that was too close
>Johnson complains that the men's bathroom is bleeding again
>youd think he'd be used to it by now
>as you drink from your Dr pepper you notice the can is suddenly in some sort of language consisting of 3d forms
>still tastes good though
>the outside freezer has finally teleported back to its original place
>no gems inside this time, bummer
>you hand the keys to the manager
>just another night on the graveyard shift

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gYWQMsS6Gdc
1d4chan.org/wiki/Night_Shift
player.vimeo.com/video/250783988
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

...so a Night Shift thread?

Fuck how long has it been?
Those threads where the best thing on here

>A truck pulls up
>The driver says he's here to deliver new stock
>You don't ask any questions
>The new products are... strange
>You swear that you see something moving underneath the wrapper of a chocolate bar
>You ask him what it is, and he says it's just extra fresh
>You don't ask what 'extra fresh' is supposed to mean

>an hour later the "extra fresh" chocolate bars are gone
>you only find the wrappers
>suddenly other products start suddenly being labeled as "extra fresh"

>about 2 am
>man comes in covered in blood
>asks for help, bandage him up
>keeps asking not to call the police or ambulance
>promise you won't while helping him with a first aid kit
>he leave after his patch up
>clean up the blood that's everywhere

This happened to my roommate.

Reminds me of nightvale

Any other stories?

>actual traditional games get posted

I see what you did there

>not knowing Night Shift
>not realizing Night Shift is Veeky Forums as fuck
user, don't post when you're so retarded.

>muh mee meeeeees
Fuck off, it's not a traditional game.

>muh mee meeeeees
Fuck off, it's not a traditional game.

It's a worldbuilding type of thing

youtube.com/watch?v=gYWQMsS6Gdc
This seems relevant.

Test bump

Oh thank fuck, I haven't been able to post at all for hours

Gotta thank you for this shit man, it's fucking amazing

holy shit the image in my head

>opening a box to see chocolate wrappers
>one has a mouse sized lump in it that runs from one end to the other
>"uh, what the fuck was that"
>"they're just /extra/ fresh"
>"wh-"
>[incredibly loud rolling door noise as the driver slaps his truck closed and walks back to the cab
>you notice scratch marks all over his arms as he's walking away, with what looks like a bloody bandage peaking out from the top

this could be argued
and since /wbg/ is apparently Veeky Forums as fuck, so should night shift be

not only that, I thought board culture was allowed to be a thing again? I mean, there is a cyoag thing and people banned that for awhile, sent it to /qst/ I think, but now they're back

jesus

I worked graveyard at a fueling station in rural WV for 5 years, my store was the only place in about an hour's drive that was open 24/7

this thread gives me the heebie jeebies, because in addition to the weird outlandish shit I've seen from meth addicts, drunks, and actual certifiable lunatics there was indeed some legit /x/-tier unexplainable shit that happened

consider me spooped.

I want to hear stories about the freaky and unexplainable stuff that happened.

Somebody should make a game out of this shit.
Possibly a survival RPG.

>Possibly a survival RPG.
AND NOT Five Nights at Freddy's!

Gib stories

the day shift employees always joked about the store being haunted because freaky shit happened even in the daytime (things falling off the racks when they're secured to them with zipties, cooler would randomly be rearranged when no one had been inside it, things of that nature)

niggas had no idea

>be me, ~12:30AM, all alone waiting on delivery truck
>cleaning counters when someone taps me on the shoulder
>spin around with an audible "what the fuck bro"
>no one there

>weeks later, in the backroom of the shop mopping
>hear door chime go off
>"huh, must be a customer"
>come to store floor to greet them
>door is standing open by itself
it was a big, heavy ass glass door, the kind that slams when it shuts
>stare at it for a minute silently wtf'ing
>door closes softly, like someone is pulling it shut behind them

>store has deli, closed from 10PM to 6AM
>be me, leaning on the counter at my cash register (other side of the store)
>"ring for service" bell starts chiming
>ding......ding......ding....

plenty of WTF moments but mostly fairly tame, the real horror stories come from interacting with people. I've had dopeheads lay their hands on me because I wouldn't cash their check (company policy), caught a girl shoplifting and she hit me in the face with a milkshake, a disgruntled ex-employee tried to run me over in the parking lot.....honestly though the job kicked ass, lots of excitement for a graveyard shift plus being there alone really made me feel like I was king of the castle. I'd probably still be working there if I hadn't moved.

I swear i played game like these 3 years ago. I assumed it about that game until your post.

Well, you've got Five Nights at Freddy's - but I was thinking something a bit more freaky.

I know what five nights is and it was not. Some early acces shit i pirated and deleted after hour of playing. You were night shift worker in some store(dont remember if it was gas station or not) that stands on indian burial ground. Your goal was to clean all supernatural stuff before morning so customers dont see any. Stuff including like blood pouring from bathroom, poltergeists throwing shit from shelves and spirit of dead chief comanding you do strange things. Also there was television showing some creepy stuff.

A long time ago we made a graveyard shift pprpg. We even drew up character sheets and everything

Couple people playtested it and said it was cash

Last Halloween

Sauce pls?

So I work at a gas station on graveyard, and my experience isn't nearly as interesting
>2200
>count and stock cigarettes, stop sweeping/mopping
>2330-000
>finish sweeping mopping, begin back stock/fronting, close down lottery and lock beer case (meaning no more customers)
>0000-0100
>finish back stock/front, begin cleaning bathrooms
>0115-0130
>finish cleaning the always clean bathrooms
>0130-0200
>begin stocking cooler; the delivery guys slammed us again, like they always do, so another 4 hours of rearranging and organizing shit is about to begin
>start to wonder why bathrooms are always so clean at this gas station, especially when i have verifiable evidence that i am the only one who cleans them
>0200
>perform end of day count down and computer restart
>seriously why are these bathrooms always so clean? a drunk guy literally shit on the floor 15 minutes ago where the hell did it go?
>0215-0230
>back in the cooler to stock until i freeze
>why does is always smell like bleach and septic tank in this cooler?
>0300
>make fresh coffee for the handful of early morning regulars
>0330
>back in the cooler
>did the door to one of the bathrooms just slam? the entry alarm didnt go off, so no one is in the store
>0400
>the kitchen manager who works in the attached restaurant arrives
>0500
>finally finish reorganizing and restocking the goddamned cooler
>head to the bathroom, finally
>how the fuck did i miss mopping up all this damn mud? i could have sworn this shit was clean like 30 minutes ago and im the only person who's been in the store all night
>0545
>finally finish pissing after waiting 44 minutes for bladder to defrost
>0600
>realize its the end of my shift but no one is going to do the dishes or take the trash out, so i guess i have to do it
>these bathrooms are seriously cleaner than at home
>what the hell is in that little shed beside the store? no one ever even goes in that thing
>0630
>finally end shift

I wish something interesting would happen.

Wh... What happens when some client buys one?

>A guy walks up to the counter with one of the 'extra fresh' chocolate bars
>You can see it squirming in his grasp
>You ask him if he notices it
>"Yeah, isn't that the point of it being extra fresh?"
>He pays and goes to his car
>You notice that his car hasn't left half an hour later and he's nowhere to be seen

1d4chan.org/wiki/Night_Shift

Apply yourself partner

I've always loved these threads and wanted to run a game of my own, but I can't wrap my head around one thing.
How do you concile the silliness of it all with giving to the player a sense of horror, of danger?
How could you make the players feel in danger and react to danger if their characters are supposed to be not paid enough/too jaded/too oblivious to care about the unnatural?

Thnx pal!

Oh hey.

It was cash, and I still run it for my groups on occasion.

Next session is "Video Killed The Radio Star And Then Everyone Else". None of my players read Veeky Forums so I feel pretty safe talking about it if there's interest.

lay it on us

In my own games of Night Shift, I've used the following to pretty decent success.

1. If you are disempowering the characters (which you should do, like, all the time) always empower the players at the same time. Let them help narrate the horrific stuff happening to and around them. Let them collaborate on the uncanny supernatural.

At first pass you might think that'll suck the horror out of it, but understand two things. First, "the unknown" is a great source of horror but not the only one, and second, people will absolutely bring to the table what they are afraid or anxious about.

2. On the flip side, the character need not be aware of the danger so long as the player is. That'll ramp up tension. Talk about how the wall behind a character deforms like latex, mouths gnawing and biting at it from the other side. Further I rarely place the characters in immediate physical danger. If you can swing a crowbar at it, it isn't a danger it is an obstacle. A man trying to buy a magazine wholly dedicated to how soft your character's skin is and how fresh their meat-- that's danger. And it is a danger which provokes no obvious reaction or response other than uncomfortable bewilderment.

So long as all this weirdness swirls around repeated motifs and themes, the players WILL try to find their source. They will fumble and flail. Good. This isn't a game about figuring it out or succeeding at the investigation (at least not when I run it). It is about being there--unavoidably--and trying to cope however your character knows how. It is not an adventure.

Also, don't be afraid to interject humor. Most of my weirdness is also kind of funny. Uncomfortable, often, or creepy or uncanny. But funny too.

>The Threat
There are two energy beings at war in the television-realms of America. One is The Fear, Phobetor, and inhabits avatars of "lowest-common denominator" images. The other is The Fantasy, Phantasos, and inhabits avatars of aspiration or imaginative images.

>The Weirdness
Both entities have figured out how to turn on anything with a monitor (TVs, computers, cash registers, the little display on the gas pumps); if a monitor is on for at least 10 minutes, one of them will send out an avatar.

The Fear will send, in order;
- Snookie from Jersey Shore
- Sean Hannity
- Detective Munch from Law & Order
- Sheldon from Big Bang Theory
The Fantasy will send, in order;
- Rod Sterling
- Mister Rogers
- Anthony Bourdain

The entities aren't super great at communicating, so the players won't know initially that there are two of them. I anticipate them thinking there is a single one. And since each avatar babbles, it will take them parsing out what the avatars are saying to really get it.

Example of Det. Munch's babble
>It works, this machine, this grinder, meatgrinder. Pull the handle and turn it. Feel the grind under your fingers. Meat melted, bone grind, I can protect you from them, from beyond, from the fringe. They’re coming, they’re coming. This machine, I am the machine, I work. I work in beautiful teeth and sharp too. Pull the handle, grind, chop, pull, stretch them on the rack. You are in danger, let me protect you, just don’t look in the machine

Example of Anthony Bourdain babble
>I consume. I’m not macho I’m a mouth, I’m a stomach, I take it in and make it me, make it mine. I’m given plates and bowls, chomp and chew, that’s how it goes. Are you ready? Ready to eat? Ready to taste? Hospitality is handing someone a gun, hoping they don’t shoot. You ready to eat? Ready to taste? Ready for them to take your gun and hand you some soup? A gun is not soup, a gun is opposite of soup, tastes like shit, nothing for you there

Before you go thinking that one is a 'good' entity and one a 'bad' one, I should mention that the avatars are not super great for people. The Fear's try to take over people, while The Fantasy simply infects them like a cheerful virus. Both are just trying to self-replicate into our world.

Most of this the players won't understand and won't put together, because they'll be too busy trying to figure out how to update the Excel spreadsheet of deliveries when Rod Sterling keeps trying to climb out of the computer monitor.

That sounds awesome yet terrifying.

I'm just glad all the guilds are gone. As soon as they had names and ongoing plots, they were quests.

What happens if (when) one of them gets infected by either?
How do the players stop, prevent or counter the weirdness?

No it isnt. No one is going to rp a gas station night janitor. This is a threadbare excuse for some half-ass /×/ stories.

My group and I did it last month. I ran the session for like 5 people. Everyone loved it but my drunk ass wife.

So, I've ran a Night Shift game using DREAD last Halloween and made those simple character creation questionnaires stylised as job application forms. They can be used regardless of what system are you using really, and I found them working pretty great for fleshing out the PCs.
English might be a bit wonky in some places, since they were written in my native language first and then translated. If any native writer would feel like correcting them up a bit feel free to do so
Except they do you retard, so your only "argument" is bullshit. If creative ideas trigger your autism so much just treat it as a "how would you run X" thread. Now shoo.

>A man in full plate armor enters the gas station.
>He plants his sword on the counter and yells :
>"Only the pure of heart may take this holy sword!"
>He also buys a cheese sandwich.
>After his departure, you realize none of you can actually remove the sword from the counter.
>You'll have to find a way to arrange this before management comes in on the morning...

Dude those are amazing.

Interesting advice, I'll use some in the future. On the other hand, I don't understand your definition of danger.
What constitutes a challenge for the characters?

>Dread
>My absolute nigga.
Also, very nice questionnaire. I already did something like that for a previous game, works like a charm.

Welp, it went out more uneventfully than I wanted it to, because my players turned out to be too fucking good at jenga, pic related. Was still lots of fun though.
Thanks a lot

Wonky language is thematically apropriate for an employment application.

If one of them gets infected, they're dead/no longer playable. The avatars won't start coming into play until near the end of the session, however. Until then it'll just be harrassment through TVs and such.

As to stopping it-- avatars can't get out if you turn everything off. But that's a lot to turn off. We'll see what they come up with.

I ran this a couple times with my group
One of the best things I remember adding to the rules was cellphones

The attendants all had personal cellphones, varying in design. Some could afford a full smart phone, others only basic text and call, but whatever functions your phone had where usable

Flashlights, recording, even yinghoo[the world's version of google]
To text they would write a note pass it to me and I'd pass it to the recipient
It made for some pretty funny and tense moments when anomalies messed with the phones
Was that really your mom's voice calling you? Can you trust what the internet says? Why is your flashlight sucking up light? Who is texting the group message?

Good stuff

make something interesting happen

investigate the shed

I would rp the shit out of that thank you very much

>Gas station owner is a foreigner with a strange accent.
>Whenever you ask him where he's from he stares at you for heartbeat with eyes that seem almost inhumanly large before responding.
>Somewhere else

Archive this

There’s only 60 replies nigger, post more graveyard shift stories.

Not much interesting stuff has been posted yet, there must be like at least 20 much bigger Night Shift threads in the archive by now

I had the chance to play some sessions of Night Shift. I'll try to share some stories once I'm off work myself.

I don't know what's cuter, that you tried to shitpost about "stop liking thing!" for a Veeky Forums homebrew, or that you didn't just use the x key.

>ghosts are actually less terrifying than people

reminds me of a game we played using jehnga, all of us were in a fuel station (with the stereotypical characters) and a wild hunt was on,instead of rolling we jehnga-ed the game, fuck that was some nerves

Man have you MET people? Damn right I like ghosts more.

Are you by any chance from Poland?
Because that sounds awfully similar to a Night Shift session I've ran last Halloween

That might actually be true in some cases, at this particular gas station.

>the gas pumps have become their own gas attendants
>and they are racist

Stop giving me flashbacks, bro

>Creepy old guy walks in
>Circles around entire store humming to himself
>Comes to the counter and asks if I’m alone
>Scared, so I say my coworker is in the back
>He leans in and asks if I believe in “the boogeyman”
>I shake my head and he laughs maniacally before leaving
>Lock the doors and don’t open them for like an hour
>Lights flicker and shit falls off the shelves in the cooler and backroom simultaneously
>Sprinkle salt along all the doorways
>Start blasting Christian Chants from my phone until sunrise

Call me a bitch, it was scary

Missed chance to Yell at him "Do you believe in a good ass whooping?! Punk!" Then start kicking his ass in the name of self defense

How do you kick the ass of that which has none

Vigorously and with great enthusiasm

This guy gets it

It's a shame no one will ever run an online game of Night Shift. I'd totally be down to play.

~bump~

Did the creepypasta come first or did /x/ start it first? These are neat.

>working at a store
>it's super late at night
>only one working
>no customers for hours
>turn to check my phone
>turn back to the register
>a fucking chick is standing in front of the counter
>howthefuckdyougetin.jpg
>didn't hear door or pump alarm
>scared for a sec but fight a boner cuz she's 12/10
>leans in on the counter in her lowcut tanktop
>holy shit she isn't wearing a bra
>most perfect smile and she asks
>"do you wanna kiss me?"
>start sweating and slowly nod
>she opens her mouth
>but it keeps fucking opening
>scream like a girl
>twists until her chin hits the back of her neck
>tentacles start fucking sprouting from her black oozed mouth
>vomit all over the counter
>mom's spaghetti

Low effort, mate.

I dunno user, never is an awfully long time and finding players on Veeky Forums shouldn't be a problem. I really dislike playing online, so I'm not gonna do it, but someone might.

That is just your average female-fatguy interaction. Dem unholy Monsters trying to steal our wizardry

player.vimeo.com/video/250783988

>2200
>stop sweeping/mopping
>2330-000
>finish sweeping mopping

My × key is haunted.

there is a game its called nightshift

Just starting up a campaign with some mates, just finished writing up a short introductory letter and a description of the store (A 24/7 B&M branch, which is absurd but a mate who works at B&M said it's the perfect environment for weirdness to fester).

>"Welcome, dear Employee, to the quaint northern village of Bentley-Upon-Harrow. A peaceful corner of the Yorkshire countryside during the day, the village can take on a more peculiar aspect at night. Working at the local B&M branch can be challenging, especially at night, but we are more than happy that you've risen to the challenge and taken on this task! You'll find your clock-in numbers and locker key with this letter, and one of our veteran Night Staff will be on-hand during your first shift to guide you through the steps.

>As a final note, I ought to mention...some strange occurrences DO occasionally happen after dark, but these are few and far-between, and shouldn't be of any major concern to you. We hope you enjoy your B&M experience and look forward to seeing how you progress.

>Sincerely, Management"

And here's the description of the shop.

As far as the shop itself goes, place in your mind the following: The shop appears to have been converted from a large old shed or warehouse, with brick mortar walls painted a sickly orange rising towards a ceiling riddled with air conditioning vents and sprinkler systems. The shop sits at the edge of the village, facing out onto the barren brown Yorkshire moors.

The shop floor features a series of ugly metal shelves hosting everything from food to clothing to toys, with each aisle signposted by faded placards that hang down from the roof. The place somehow manages to be cold and draughty all year round, and the air carries a distinct smell of stale urine.

In the back of the shop is the employee area, which features an ill-maintained staff toilet, a locker room (in which many of the lockers are broken or don't have keys), a large stock room and unloading area, and a staff room featuring two peeling, neglected sofas, a small kitchen area with damp-stained walls and a snooker table with three cues.

Sound like fun !
I expect story time of the hijincks that ensue